HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets sign Jimmy Roy(Front Office Hiring)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
  #1
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Jets sign Jimmy Roy(Front Office Hiring)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...126823108.html

Woo hoo!

#21 Jimmy Roy was the most popular Moose player. He has been playing in Germany. If he can teach the prospects how to play with some grit then he'll be worth his weight in gold.


Last edited by KevFist: 08-06-2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Title was a little misleading
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:09 PM
  #2
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,812
vCash: 500
Screwed up, post corrected by others.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 08-06-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:17 PM
  #3
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Are you ****ing serious? Are we not enough of a joke, he was deemed useless as even AHL player long ago. Wow, we are just trying to honour the Moose and not get any better as an NHL are we?
Are you aware that Roy will be looking after the prospects and other junior players?

Are you also aware of how close he came to having his number retired? There were reasons for that and there is also a reason why his number wasn't retired.




-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
  #4
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!
 
Cooperalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Are you aware that Roy will be looking after the prospects and other junior players?

Are you also aware of how close he came to having his number retired? There were reasons for that and there is also a reason why his number wasn't retired.




-37-
LOL! I think .... thinks Roy will be PLAYING for the Jets. hahahahaha.....

On a serious note, talk about a LOYAL organization. That will serve them well in building a reputation in the league regarding free agents, etc.


Last edited by Jet: 08-06-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:44 PM
  #5
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,812
vCash: 500
Yep, my mistake.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 08-06-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:48 PM
  #6
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperalls View Post
LOL! I think .... thinks Roy will be PLAYING for the Jets. hahahahaha.....

On a serious note, talk about a LOYAL organization. That will serve them well in building a reputation in the league regarding free agents, etc.
For sure, I can't think of his name off hand but there is another player that had some off-ice issues they are keeping. I'm sure the players would have a pretty good idea of what is going and that sort of thing has to help as well.

I think people have to keep in mind that coaching is about communication, motivating, developing, training etc. These are skills are not exclusive to the NHL. Zinger 'et al' must believe Roy has these skills or he wouldn't have the position.


-37-


Last edited by Jet: 08-06-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Quoted edited post
White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
  #7
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,539
vCash: 500
Why are we bringing back ex-Moose players in some capacity to join the Jets? Loyalty, respect, connections?! Who knows.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  #8
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!
 
Cooperalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yep, clearly why I said AHL player. Maybe think next time before you post. This is a complete why moment. Nobody in the NHL thought he was that worthy, there is no need for this with the MANY AHL veterans already in the system. We not need to employ every ex-Moose player still playing, we already have more AHL veterans than anybody else in the league. Seriously how much leadership and "experience" do you need at the AHL level. I feel like you people would be ready to field an AHL team with 21 30+ year olds and 2 prospects. You eventually need potential, not just "leadership" and "experience". Look at Los Angeles farm team, producing NHLers with none of your description of "leadership and experience".
Sooooooo...... just admit it, you never clicked the link. Roy is retired. He is NOT going to play for the Jets OR Ice Caps. They brought him in to be director of player development.


Last edited by Jet: 08-06-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:09 AM
  #9
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Why are we bringing back ex-Moose players in some capacity to join the Jets? Loyalty, respect, connections?! Who knows.
Apart from Chipman, Zinger has been around since day 1 with the Moose. I suspect familliarity with the people involved has a lot to with this as well. He is picking people he feels comfortable with and know the TNSE way of doing things. I don't know what they do but Nucks did alright over the past few years with the Moose players they brought up.

-37-


Last edited by White Noise: 08-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.
White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:14 AM
  #10
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperalls View Post
Sooooooo...... just admit it, you never clicked the link. Roy is retired. He is NOT going to play for the Jets OR Ice Caps. They brought him in to be director of player development.
Posts edited. Never clicked on link. Lol, that's fine then.

Note to self...stop posting when drunk.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:14 AM
  #11
Damascus
Registered User
 
Damascus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 518
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yep, clearly why I said AHL player. Maybe think next time before you post. This is a complete why moment. Nobody in the NHL thought he was that worthy, there is no need for this with the MANY AHL veterans already in the system. We not need to employ every ex-Moose player still playing, we already have more AHL veterans than anybody else in the league. Seriously how much leadership and "experience" do you need at the AHL level. I feel like you people would be ready to field an AHL team with 21 30+ year olds and 2 prospects. You eventually need potential, not just "leadership" and "experience". Look at Los Angeles farm team, producing NHLers with none of your description of "leadership and experience". ****ing moron.
You sir, didn't read the article.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:18 AM
  #12
TheLastSedin
Registered User
 
TheLastSedin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
I like the front office signing - good stuff.
I also like the Kings fan trollin us about how good their farm team is - Great stuff.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
  #13
BrianL*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Posts edited. Never clicked on link. Lol, that's fine then.

Note to self...stop posting when drunk.
No way, drunk posting is what makes any board interesting.

I was also somewhat leery of this, for no other reason than inexperience. I'm not sure you just wake up one day and decide, alrighty then, time to pack up the skates and the schnitzel press and head back home to develop some NHL talent. IMO, this is going to be another learning on the job situation. Still, he does seem to fit the identity they seem to be developing. Let's hope it works out.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:50 AM
  #14
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
No way, drunk posting is what makes any board interesting.

I was also somewhat leery of this, for no other reason than inexperience. I'm not sure you just wake up one day and decide, alrighty then, time to pack up the skates and the schnitzel press and head back home to develop some NHL talent. IMO, this is going to be another learning on the job situation. Still, he does seem to fit the identity they seem to be developing. Let's hope it works out.
From what I have seen, once you get past the GM, head coach, assistant coaches, and minor league coaches, every job in an NHL team is a bit of a make-work project. If a "name" helps out he gets promoted to one of the core jobs. If not, they operate on the fringes where they can't f-up too much.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.