HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finger and Healey cut

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Finger and Healey cut

Go check out the Colorado Avalanche website, down below the main news stories they have a link from today telling us that Paul Healey and Jeff Finger have been reassigned to Lowell.

The roster is now done to 27, and with players 4 (or are they going with a 22 man roster?) left who do you think gets the big, ugly axe?

Old
09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGuy2325
Go check out the Colorado Avalanche website, down below the main news stories they have a link from today telling us that Paul Healey and Jeff Finger have been reassigned to Lowell.

The roster is now done to 27, and with players 4 (or are they going with a 22 man roster?) left who do you think gets the big, ugly axe?
i think you'll see the roster at 24 since hejduk is out, so as i said in another thread...kolesnik, mccormick or krog, and clark. once hejduk comes back, wolski might be sent back to brampton or mccormick/krog(whichever of the 2 makes it) could be sent down. clark and kolesnik though are as good as sent down imo.

Old
09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup
i think you'll see the roster at 24 since hejduk is out, so as i said in another thread...kolesnik, mccormick or krog, and clark. once hejduk comes back, wolski might be sent back to brampton or mccormick/krog(whichever of the 2 makes it) could be sent down. clark and kolesnik though are as good as sent down imo.
I think this is dead-on.

Old
09-27-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS1819

I was really hoping that one day Finger would make the team and be paired with Foote. Would've/could've been a great combination

Old
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup
I initially heard that Kolesnik didn't want to stick around unless he was a number 1 or 2 guy. Any truth to that or was it just rubbish?

Old
09-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan
I initially heard that Kolesnik didn't want to stick around unless he was a number 1 or 2 guy. Any truth to that or was it just rubbish?
I've heard the same. It's either the Avs or back to Europe. You already have Weiman and Lawson at Lowell and one of those guys is likely headed to San Diego.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Kaizer

Quote:
True.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Soo...what would y'all rather see...Kolesnik backing up Abby this year with Budaj getting major minutes in the AHL this year or Kolesnik in Europe with Budaj sitting on the bench?

I like Budaj a lot...enough to see him possibly taking over as #1 some day. I just think it would be better for his growth to continue playing as a starter in the AHL than sitting on the bench in Denver. Don't get me wrong, I love Abby...but he's not Roy. I'd have no problem having Budaj sitting on the bench watching Roy...I'm just not convinced that Budaj needs to sit and watch David. Abby is a good goalie and is probably capable of back-stopping a cup contending team...but I'm not sure he has the experience or the warrior mentality that can help Budaj grow while sitting on a pine board with a towel wrapped around his neck.

Old
09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
SilverSkate

Quote:
Soo...what would y'all rather see...Kolesnik backing up Abby this year with Budaj getting major minutes in the AHL this year or Kolesnik in Europe with Budaj sitting on the bench?

I like Budaj a lot...enough to see him possibly taking over as #1 some day. I just think it would be better for his growth to continue playing as a starter in the AHL than sitting on the bench in Denver. Don't get me wrong, I love Abby...but he's not Roy. I'd have no problem having Budaj sitting on the bench watching Roy...I'm just not convinced that Budaj needs to sit and watch David. Abby is a good goalie and is probably capable of back-stopping a cup contending team...but I'm not sure he has the experience or the warrior mentality that can help Budaj grow while sitting on a pine board with a towel wrapped around his neck.
It’s a tough call – which would be more challenging & ‘pushing’ his skill to the next level? Playing & practicing in the AHL against AHL level skills or playing & practicing everyday with NHL level guys? There is no guarantee that he would be the starter in Lowell, it he was sent down.

Similar to Slovak’s decision last year – play at the UHL level or go back to Slovakia & play in the Elite league. It wasn’t that Slovak couldn’t handle North American hockey, like most say. He’s played here for several years in the Juniors. He was in Fixter’s dog house the moment he stepped in Hershey.

Back to the topic - I think the NHL is the best place for Budaj to learn and get better - I don’t think watching Abei would be a problem, I think Abei learned more from Roy than you think. Abei just has a different personality, than Roy. And Budaj has more than enough ‘warrior mentality’, just in case Abei doesn’t have enough!

Old
09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSkate
It’s a tough call – which would be more challenging & ‘pushing’ his skill to the next level? Playing & practicing in the AHL against AHL level skills or playing & practicing everyday with NHL level guys? There is no guarantee that he would be the starter in Lowell, it he was sent down.

Similar to Slovak’s decision last year – play at the UHL level or go back to Slovakia & play in the Elite league. It wasn’t that Slovak couldn’t handle North American hockey, like most say. He’s played here for several years in the Juniors. He was in Fixter’s dog house the moment he stepped in Hershey.

Back to the topic - I think the NHL is the best place for Budaj to learn and get better - I don’t think watching Abei would be a problem, I think Abei learned more from Roy than you think. Abei just has a different personality, than Roy. And Budaj has more than enough ‘warrior mentality’, just in case Abei doesn’t have enough!
I wasn't trying to knock either Budaj or Abei as a goalie. Comparing anyone to Roy is probably not fair. I was just wondering if practice and a few games as an AV was better for Budaj than playing as a starter in the AHL. I think it's a fair bet he'd be the starter this year if he was sent down. Also, I think Kolesnik is capable of doing a great job as a back-up. I don't think he's better than Budaj but think he could do the team well by backing us up this year and allowing Bedaj to play in more games.

I'm just not sure at which point it is better for a goalie to sit on the bench in games and practice with the team than to play every night in the minors.

Old
09-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Belgican

Aebi played 62 games last season, that's a lot, that's even too much for him, but yeah, Sauve was the backup and he wasn't very reliable.

Anyway, Aebi's backup is to play 20-25 games at most, unless he proves to be worth more than that.

Budaj or Kolesnik I don't know, but if he plays up to the expectations, will play 25 NHL games, that's way better than 45 AHL games IMO.

Old
09-27-2005, 08:35 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I'd rather see Peter Budaj as the back-up over Vitaly Kolesnik, but I'm biased of course.

Budaj is simply the better goaltender and has worlds of potential.

Old
09-27-2005, 09:00 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Budaj is going to be back-up, no question.

Old
09-28-2005, 04:47 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgican
Aebi played 62 games last season, that's a lot, that's even too much for him, but yeah, Sauve was the backup and he wasn't very reliable.

Anyway, Aebi's backup is to play 20-25 games at most, unless he proves to be worth more than that.

Budaj or Kolesnik I don't know, but if he plays up to the expectations, will play 25 NHL games, that's way better than 45 AHL games IMO.
That was the kind of answer I wanted. Thanks Belgican! If we're looking at 20+ games I can see having Budaj as a relief. But if we're looking at a season like what Marc Denis had in Columbus a few years ago...then *shrugs* I'm just not convinced that practice against an NHL team is as good for development as actual games against a team...even at a lower level. I'd like to see 25-30 games by Budaj. If he's as good as everyone says he should be pushing Abby for every start. I really respected what the Wild did a few years ago with Roloson and Fernandez.

Closed Thread