HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury is considering retirement

Old
08-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Drury NOT retiring would be a complete shock to me.
Me as well. I actually think Drury has too much pride to go out there and put in the kind of performances we saw last winter again regardless of how he feels physically.

Definitely sucks, but them's the breaks when you're handing out overvalued contracts with NMC's.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
eco's bones

Still it's addition by subtraction. The most important thing is his days are over with the Rangers. His first two years were okay if underwhelming. The last two were horrible and no doubt the Rangers were going to waive him if he didn't go on his own. He could have been classier but...

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

So is his caphit for next year zero now?

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:58 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
So is his caphit for next year zero now?
No. The buyout was completed, and the terms are set. If Drury plays and scores 50 goals or retires and is never heard from again, the 2 year buy-out #s are the same.

This year: ~3.7 million cap hit
Next year: ~1.66 million cap hit

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:56 AM
marty 4 hart*

Sad to see all the hate people are laying on captain clutch. I still love Dru. He is all about leadership and clutch goalscoring.

marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Vitto79

thanks alot Dru, u better freaking play

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty 4 hart View Post
Sad to see all the hate people are laying on captain clutch. I still love Dru. He is all about leadership and clutch goalscoring.
We debated those last two points ad nauseum for his last 3 years. Just how much leadership did he provide?--concerning clutch goalscoring--there wasn't all that much in his years here.

Taking it that you're a Devils fan and that is fine--Welcome!--but--if he had been on your team with a $7.5 mil cap hit--you might think different. For instance--on the few occasions I was over on the Devils board last year--more to read than to comment--there was all kinds of vitriol being spewed about any number of long and short time Devils--Langenbrunner, Elias (the first couple months of last year), Kovalchuk, Rolston, Clarkson, Tallinder, Brodeur--you could almost name any player--other than Parise who had the good sense to take himself out of the running right from the get go via knee injury--they were all getting abuse. Drury would have least fit in well with Langenbrunner.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Waaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaahhh he made 7 million bucks last year and I didn't. He hurt himself playing the sport we all love, and I didn't.

Man you act like he ***** your wives or something. So he took the extra money. He might not walk right again for the rest of his life.

Nah the extra expense of that will be nothing. He can get medical insurance no problem. I mean all injured retired players have insane qualities of life. All the money they made they live happily ever after. amirite?

This guy deserves to get every extra cent he could. I would do the same. He didn't do anything that was not with in his right to do.

Again I ask you if it is reversed you think the Rangers would give one shiat about him?

Miamipuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

if Drury retires, does his buy-out cap come off the books? I mean that would be lame if we had to pay for a retired player.

edit: d'oh, i see the answer above

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Sticky Fingers

This **** should be thrown at the CBA regulation, not Drury. If he retires the cap hit should dissapear, it doesn't. Well that is not Drurys fault, he wanted to give it a shoot because he loves the game, it didn't work out and I'm quite sure he's not celebrating.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:06 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not a surprise....just a little annoying he soaked the rangers for that buyout money.
Exactly not an overreaction just a natural reaction. I can tell you one guy who isn;t going to visit his pizza shop even if it's the best in the world!!! Harumph

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Exactly not an overreaction just a natural reaction. I can tell you one guy who isn;t going to visit his pizza shop even if it's the best in the world!!! Harumph
Good thing about that is you'll never, ever, EVER have to worry about the best pizza place in the world being in Connecticut.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:38 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I don't think that anyone would have a problem with Drury taking the money if it didn't count against the cap. People here are angry at him for hurting the team. I have no good memories of Drury being on the Rangers. That doesn't make him the devil. But this is kind of a poke in the eye when your eye's already sore from being poked.
This is it for me. It annoys me and I liked the guy.

We finally got so see those intangibles we've heard so much about.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
gluvhand

You guys really don't think he would've collected his money without it counting against the cap if that was in anyway possible? He's being made out to be a vindictive and calculating "bad guy" here when everything we know about him, which admittedly is probably really not much, says the opposite. He cannot be happy or proud of the way things turned out here and I'm sure he would've loved to have "lived up" to his end of the deal. We all know what happened. He's gone. That's what we all wanted. Yeah, the cap hit sucks. All the deals that have been made this Summer were in light of that cap hit and they were made anyway so all good as far as I'm concerned. We've probably wasted more time worrying about this than Sather.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jay Pandolfo pulled the same stunt on Jersey. He had a bum shoulder. Wouldn't retire. Got bought out. Hasn't played in the NHL again. Must be a BU thing.
He was injured at the time and had to give Lou permission to waive him. He was unhappy about being benched and getting texts from coaching staff that he was going to sit in the press box during game days.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
gotmonte

I hope Drury can make the choice to play or not without having the injury being the main reason.

I am sure a team or two has come calling to find out about him.

He was overpaid when he played for the Rangers but thats the Rangers fault. You offer me a bunch of money to do a job I am taking the money ten times out of ten even if I am not the best man for the job.

Its a dog eat dog world

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Well when you suck and no one offers you a contract it kind of forces you into reality. After this year this guy will be a blip in the rear view mirror like Kamensky and Holik, a scar on the Captaincy of the New York Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I hope Drury can make the choice to play or not without having the injury being the main reason.
He sucked long before he was hurt. Getting hurt was the final straw.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It appears the Ducks are interested in Drury

Quote:
The only notable scoring wingers still available on a barren free-agent market are Cory Stillman, Trent Hunter, Kyle Wellwood and J.P. Dumont. Chris Drury, whom the Ducks are believed to have shown interest in, and Mike Comrie also haven’t been snapped up by anyone. Modano is also there but is strongly considering retirement.
http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/08/...ecision/69967/

Selanne had knee surgery in June and his knee is still giving him problems. He might not play this season or might retire. Drury is their man to replace Selanne.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
beastly115

I saw a Kings poster mentioned they were interested in Drury also. Don't have a link though.

I'm also somewhat surprised Comrie hasn't been signed yet.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:04 PM
gluvhand

Heard on NHL Radio today that Comrie is still having some issues with his hip. No time-table for a return. Also saw snippets of an interview where he said he may have pushed his return too quickly and he wants to rest it and recover totally before moving forward.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:52 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Naslund still had earning power. He went back home, played for his home town team, made a good salary, played hockey.
Just to make that clear. Näslund and Forsberg played for free that season,to help their strugling team Modo to reach the play off-

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It appears the Ducks are interested in Drury

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/08/...ecision/69967/

Selanne had knee surgery in June and his knee is still giving him problems. He might not play this season or might retire. Drury is their man to replace Selanne.
Just wow, what a nose dive for the Ducks if that turns true. Replacing a 30+ goal scorer and given Hall of Famer with a half dead bum won't exactly be an improvement. And one player with knee problems with another. Perhaps both just retire.

And on another note, I knew this would happen (Drury probably retiring after he has sucked out the last dollar he could suck out, because he is unable to play anyway) and I have zero respect left for Captain Flypaper after this. I don't care how much you claim "He has to look after his family and future", he has earned millions of dollars dragging this team down with him to his measly level of performance when he played here and he has earned millions being a Grade A albatross. That should've been enough. Of course he had to squeeze out every last dollar. Like I've said, if Drury was Russian instead of "Captain America", there would be a lynch mob in here now. Enough is enough dammit.

We all know $ather was responsible for the horrible abomination of a contract Dreary got, but is it too much to ask that he should have some kind of self respect to live up to that contract, more than showing up and "working hard"? This isn't kindergarden, there is no reward for dramatically falling and failing. Not everyone get a diploma. You get $7m to carry your team, or at least your own frigging line, or at least your frigging self, not to juggle bananas.

He was nowhere during his career here worth more than maybe half what he got paid and at the end not even 1/7th. It's not the money he robbed Dolan on I care about, not one bit, it's that he hurt the team, even on the cap when he has to be literally kicked out from the club to get the message that he's a sinker and then retires, for money he didn't earn. Some captain huh? But I guess that won't ruin his weekend.

Näslund was here one year and showed more respect for himself and his teammates - and showed more class than the 7 million dollar Blair Betts did during his entire... I even try to repress how many teeth grinding years that hobo has been on the team. And Dreary was supposed to be the captain... I guess that's the difference between a former elite player and a pretender.

The only positive in this Captain Crutch mess is that the bum is finally gone and that this is perhaps the last time (apart from when I have to look at the cap hit) I even have to think about him looking like he's loafing around on the ice, even when he's trying his hardest. Finally! FINALLY! FINALLY!

And I have to say it one last time when I have the chance. Mr Clutch. MR CLUTCH! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, once during a pre-season game against some Russian KHL team no one can even remember the name of. The last time Dreary was clutch, was against us. But, again, that will probably not ruin Drury's weekend.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-09-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:18 AM
NYR Viper

I'm going to laugh when Drury comes back and score 10-15 goals and ha 30-35 points in Anaheim. Is it stellar? No. But it is far from a "half-dead bum".

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I'm going to laugh when Drury comes back and score 10-15 goals and ha 30-35 points in Anaheim.
ill laugh even harder when his bad knee forces him to miss 50 plus games and he ends up with 7 points.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
ill laugh even harder when his bad knee forces him to miss 50 plus games and he ends up with 7 points.
No why is that? You wish for him to get hurt and miss 50 games? Wishing injury on a player who gave his body for the Rangers? He now has to live with those aches and pains and bad knees for the rest of his life. Yeah, let's hope he gets hurt again. Good call.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote