HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov can be traded and will report to camp

Old
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
DP was injured for the entire season save 8 games, so I hardly consider that a "3 goalie system"
For the stretch he was playing, it was a 3 goalie system. And it was a mess.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:42 AM
nhlfan9191

Why is everyone talking like Nabokov is going to come in and instantly become a very valuable trade asset. He absolutely stunk the joint out in Russia last year and then pulled one of the worst hissy fits I've ever seen when the Islanders claimed him. Even Detroit knew that there was a 99.9% he would get claimed, why was he so shocked? Detroit or any contender wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole now. No team that wants to win a stanley wants a guy who has a terrible attitude like Nabokov on their team. The Islanders shouldn't either. He basically spit in your faces last year and now your going to let him be your number one goalie? If Snow was smart, he'd send him to Bridgeport because his trade value will be the same down there as it is in the NHL. His career is likely over.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:30 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Why is everyone talking like Nabokov is going to come in and instantly become a very valuable trade asset. He absolutely stunk the joint out in Russia last year and then pulled one of the worst hissy fits I've ever seen when the Islanders claimed him. Even Detroit knew that there was a 99.9% he would get claimed, why was he so shocked? Detroit or any contender wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole now. No team that wants to win a stanley wants a guy who has a terrible attitude like Nabokov on their team. The Islanders shouldn't either. He basically spit in your faces last year and now your going to let him be your number one goalie? If Snow was smart, he'd send him to Bridgeport because his trade value will be the same down there as it is in the NHL. His career is likely over.
yeahh thats great have him in the bridge eating up starts that are more valuable to Poulin and Nillson....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why is everyone talking like Nabokov is going to come in and instantly become a very valuable trade asset. He absolutely stunk the joint out in Russia last year and then pulled one of the worst hissy fits I've ever seen when the Islanders claimed him. Even Detroit knew that there was a 99.9% he would get claimed, why was he so
shocked? Detroit or any contender wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole now. No team that wants to win a stanley wants a guy who has a terrible attitude like Nabokov on their team. The Islanders shouldn't
either. He basically spit in your faces last year and now your going to let him be your number one goalie? If Snow was smart, he'd send him to Bridgeport because
his trade value will be the same down there as it is in the NHL. His career is likely over.
I don't know who you root for. But the Islanders need veterans with experience and prior success, especially in goal. Right now he may be the best goalie and could possibly give the team the best chance to win. Ya I'm sure he didn't want to play for us last year but who did? This year everyone starts at 0-0-0 so we could very well be a playoff team, which he wanted to play for.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Pnut

Quote:
See he actually has value that is not too high, but you are selling him way too short. Honestly if Snow thought he had no value, he would waive him and see if someone bit.
I also don't think anyone said he is our #1 goalie. I believe most here see 2 guys as our possible #1 (Montoya, DP), then the trade chip Nabby and Poulin.

Last edited by Pnut: 08-06-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:50 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Just a hunch but I still think we make a trade for a D man that makes at least 4 million and DP retires, hence the reason Nabokov is still here.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Isles1

I think teams like Detroit, Phoenix and a few others I can think of are still very interested in a guy like Naby considering their respective goalie situations at this very moment. If nothing is done, and we keep him, I see absolutely no harm in carrying a third goalie if he earns it during camp. If not, get whatever you can for him, or include him in a larger trade for the # 2-3 D-man we need.

Last edited by Isles1: 08-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
stranger34

if nabakov is our #1 goalie this year... with the additions of reasoner and rolston and streit returning i think we are a shoe-in for the playoffs

nabokov as the starter and montoya as the backup is VERY solid

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:23 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
if nabakov is our #1 goalie this year... with the additions of reasoner and rolston and streit returning i think we are a shoe-in for the playoffs

nabokov as the starter and montoya as the backup is VERY solid
Even without Nabokov...I see a tremendous improvement over last season's 30 wins and I don't see this team going through another 21 game slide. I think Montoya could really become a bonafide #1. Not "elite" by any means...but a top-15 goalie if given the opportunity.

Having Nabokov and Monty is probably the closest to sure thing than we'll ever have. And I see at least an improvement of 10-12 wins (40-42 wins)...perhaps a few more if Nabby really plays his ass off and/or Montoya really breaks out. Again, I don't think scoring is going to be a problem. This could be a big year for this team.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Agreed, but if there was a fair shake for the starter job and the BEST two won, I could care less if Nabby got starts. But.....Rick is Wang's prized poodle and the deck is stacked. Nabby has to make a case and Montoya an even stronger case.

And then throw those cases at 39's kneecaps.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:36 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Everyone? Not quite.

He has to show some value over the first part of the season which means playing for us. Given Rick's previous season I see Evgeni and Montoya being 1 & 2 unless you think Garth loves that paper bag he has to wear every time Rick needs a forklift to get up from the ice. He'll get his starts, and he will have to show value. This will take at least the first quarter of the season, then add in the odd goal tending injuries that inevitably strike a couple of starting goaltenders and he will get moved. If tragedy strikes the Islanders, meaning Montoya gets injured long term, then you can push the timetable back to the Winter deadline.

Or a bad GM could trade for him earlier. I can't guess what those MM types will do all the time because they operate on a plane of insanity that few of us rarely spend time on. I'd give that a 1% chance of happening. I'd normally give a 1% chance that Wang could fall in love with the guy for doing his grand kid's homework and keeping him here longer but Rick is likely all over that one whispering in Uncle Charlie's ear about his teammate rival.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:05 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Everyone? Not quite.

He has to show some value over the first part of the season which means playing for us. Given Rick's previous season I see Evgeni and Montoya being 1 & 2 unless you think Garth loves that paper bag he has to wear every time Rick
needs a forklift to get up from the ice. He'll get his starts, and he will have to show value. This will take at least the first quarter of the season, then add in the odd goal tending injuries that inevitably strike a couple of starting goaltenders and he will get moved. If tragedy strikes the Islanders, meaning Montoya gets injured long term, then you can push the timetable back to the
Winter deadline.

Or a bad GM could trade for him earlier. I can't guess what those MM types will do all the time because they operate on a plane of insanity that few of us rarely spend time on. I'd give that a 1% chance of happening. I'd normally give a 1% chance that Wang could fall in love with the guy for doing his grand kid's homework and
keeping him here longer but Rick is likely all over that one whispering in Uncle Charlie's ear about his teammate rival.

Haha, the forklift joke was priceless!

Old
08-06-2011, 01:08 PM
seafoam

People saying Nabby is done and to old is foolish. MOST elite goalies are in the late thirtys and most play there best hockey towards the end of the career, while some don't.

Old
08-06-2011, 02:27 PM
nhlfan9191

Lol Nabokov is not an elite goaltender. He played for a very good San Jose team. The islanders should just part with him. He makes the goaltending much more complicated. It's like Wang and Snow want to drive the fans crazy with the goaltending on this team. It's rediculous.

Old
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
yeahh thats great have him in the bridge eating up starts that are more valuable to Poulin and Nillson....
Better he cramps up the AHL team then the NHL team. And I didn't mean that literally. I was just trying to point out he is of no use to the organization. You aren't going to get a second or third round pick for Nabokov. You'll get a sixth, maybe even a seventh for him. Is it really worth the complication. You already have Rick Dipietro taking up important space! I'm not trying to rag on the Islanders. I really like them. I just don't understand why they don't give a good kid like Montoya a chance instead of a cocky Russian who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Aren't you islander fans bitter! I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team after what he pulled! I don't care if he was PAtrick Roy! That was so unclassy.

Old
08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Better he cramps up the AHL team then the NHL team. And I didn't mean that literally. I was just trying to point out he is of no use to the organization. You aren't going to get a second or third round pick for Nabokov. You'll get a sixth, maybe even a seventh for him. Is it really worth the complication. You already have Rick Dipietro taking up important space! I'm not trying to rag on the Islanders. I really like them. I just don't understand why they don't give a good kid like Montoya a chance instead of a cocky Russian who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Aren't you islander fans bitter! I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team after what he pulled! I don't care if he was PAtrick Roy! That was so unclassy.

Old
08-06-2011, 05:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I agree he disrespected....but its funny if he would have just came and played he would of been able to been an UFA but now he owes us an entire year dirt cheap...

Old
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

I think we have another Felix Potvin. I want Nabby to succeed but from all I've seen on him, he's almost ready to become glue.

Montoya should play with him and Poulin should come up after we trade Nabby.

But it doesn't work that way here......39.

Old
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I like the idea of him being in the mix simply for the idea of Montoya and Poulin stepping their game up and having to compete with Nabby for the starting job. As long as DiPietro isn't in the mix, I can see good things coming from this three goalie tandem.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
I like the idea of him being in the mix simply for the idea of Montoya and Poulin stepping their game up and having to compete with Nabby for the starting job. As long as DiPietro isn't in the mix, I can see good things coming from this three goalie tandem.
So do I. But if DP is able to stand he will be playing.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
and, thus, (in his own words) there is no competition.

(in 2013 we might have to hear those words in a Stephen Hawkings speaker attachment to the wheelchair, I think)

Old
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I actually agree...If I was Okposo who just signed long term I would feel disrespected....Konopka wouldnt of let him take one 1 step in the locker room without addresing the team first

Old
08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post

Such a frustrating but true statement.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
Such a frustrating but true statement.
Quite nice people have evolved to see it these past few years, though. A polarizing figure, fans now are rooting for the BEST of five young goalies to take the position which could not happen five years ago (he was irreplaceable even if Tretiak was brought in in his prime) without pages of backlash.

Old
08-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Isles72

has anyone heard whether or not Montoya will be 100% for camp ?

pretty sure he went under the knife earlier in the offseason .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote