HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why don't we just bury Bulin in the minors?

Old
08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
shocked we haven't had more "Oh this thread again"

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
-burying Khabi makes Edmonton potentially less attractive to free agents
-being a 35+ contract, Khabi's cap hit stays on for the full term of his contract, regardless if he's playing in the NHL, AHL, Russia or if he retires
-as far as we know, he doesn't seem to be creating problems in the dressing room
-he has lots of experience and knowledge he can pass onto Dubnyk to help in his development
-Khabi rebounded nicely in Chicago when everybody had written him off to play in Russia - wouldn't be surprised if he does it again this season
Doubtful on the first one. The same was said about Souray and that doesn't appear to have hurt us.

I also don't really agree with the last one, simply because the Hawks were almost a contender when he rebounded and Bulin is also older now.

The other 3 do make sense though.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
-burying Khabi makes Edmonton potentially less attractive to free agents
No one would give a flip. In fact, it would have the opposite effect for free agent goalies.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Doubtful on the first one. The same was said about Souray and that doesn't appear to have hurt us.

I also don't really agree with the last one, simply because the Hawks were almost a contender when he rebounded and Bulin is also older now.

The other 3 do make sense though.
Souray and Khabi situations are completely different.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Souray and Khabi situations are completely different.
Sure they are, but it was said when Moreau was going to be bought out it would hurt us when signing UFA's, it was said with Souray to the AHL it would hurt us when signing UFA's and now the same is being said with Bulin? Why?

It's just something fans dream up.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
alanschu

Does it accomplish much to do so?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Does it accomplish much to do so?
If you read the OP, the point was to free up the starter spot for Dubnyk and sign a FA goalie to play the supporting role instead. It's a valid argument.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
If you read the OP, the point was to free up the starter spot for Dubnyk and sign a FA goalie to play the supporting role instead. It's a valid argument.
You can give Dubnyk the starting spot without removing Khabibulin though.

I'm skeptical that the team "just hates playing in front of him" and while playing a reduced role he could find himself being a more effective goalie (he certainly can't drop off much more than last year). To the point where I'm not sure if there's much need for a UFA backup for Dubnyk.

Also, I did read the OP. It didn't answer my question. Rereading it doesn't change my position of wondering if it accomplishes much to bury Khabibulin.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
You can give Dubnyk the starting spot without removing Khabibulin though.

I'm skeptical that the team "just hates playing in front of him" and while playing a reduced role he could find himself being a more effective goalie (he certainly can't drop off much more than last year). To the point where I'm not sure if there's much need for a UFA backup for Dubnyk.

Also, I did read the OP. It didn't answer my question. Rereading it doesn't change my position of wondering if it accomplishes much to bury Khabibulin.
Addition by subtraction.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Addition by subtraction.
Which is still accomplished by playing Dubnyk more.

If the team is keen on having Dubnyk be the starter, they don't need to remove Khabibulin in order to do so.

You can believe that Khabibulin will still be as bad as he was last year, and utilize that to motivate going out and signing a backup. But I'm not convinced this team's success is going to be heavily dependent on how well the backup goalie plays. I'm also not convinced that Khabibulin's season will be as bad as it was this year (which was putrid).

In other words, this doesn't appear to me to be a move that accomplishes very much.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't really see the need to use the last contract spot for any of the goalie's on the FA market as a back up.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
oilerfan1989*

1st we cant bury khabi, hes on a 35+ contract. We can put him on waivers. But those ideas are ridiculous, edmontons not gna compete for a cup for the next few years. there is no big hurry to rush anyone along including dubby, let him earn that #1 spot from khabi..When he takes the #1 spot, bulin will be a decent backup.
Yes khabies numbers we're great last year, so what, We would have finished last regardless. We're rebuilding, not competing for a cup right now. By the time we're ready to compete for a cup, bulin will be retired, and chances are DD will be #1..

If edmonton is going to worry about anything, it should be our Defence, our goaltending isnt great, but its coming along, our offence is coming along also.. Our D is horrendous, But we dont have some nice pieces working there way up threw the pipeline.. Its all gonna take time.

oilerfan1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
He's old enough that his cap hit will still count... so I really don't see a point. We'd either have to sign another goalie(and have another contract and be closer to the limit) or bring someone who might not be ready up from the minors/juniors.

Don't worry. We can bring someone from the AHL up when knabby gets hurt 3 months into the season.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
If only Boston had buried Tim Thomas in the minors last year.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If only Boston had buried Tim Thomas in the minors last year.
Yes, of course. Since Khabibulin is coming off a stellar 10-32-4 3.40/.890 season, he is clearly about to shred the NHL alive in 2011-12.

Old
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
RoeperRoger

Quote:
Yes, of course. Since Khabibulin is coming off a stellar 10-32-4 3.40/.890 season, he is clearly about to shred the NHL alive in 2011-12.
True never to late to right off a goalie of Khabby's caliber, seems like the Oilers throw players under the bus faster now, then when Mactavish coached Zing!

RoeperRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeperRoger View Post
True never to late to right off a goalie of Khabby's caliber, seems like the Oilers throw players under the bus faster now, then when Mactavish coached Zing!
What's Khabibulin's calibre? Who could he compete with at an equal level now? AHL backups?