HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lebda put on waivers by Nashville

Old
08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I love how people still fail to grasp this concept .
While that was in response to a Montreal fan, in most cases I'm starting to think it's less about making it out as a bad move for Nashville and more about making it a great move for Burke to prop him up and make him look like a genius.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
exporta

vCash: 500
The thing I remember most about Lebda is the Leafs beating Atlanta 9-3, while Lebda was -3 on the night.

That being said, the guy is a Millionaire and Stanley Cup Champion... he's accomplished everything I'd want out of life.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
Another case of Franson is good till he is traded
I don't recall many Preds fans ever thinking Franson was all that great. He is slow as molasses, but does have a very nice wrister. But still slow as hell.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
While that was in response to a Montreal fan, in most cases I'm starting to think it's less about making it out as a bad move for Nashville and more about making it a great move for Burke to prop him up and make him look like a genius.
I guess as a Leaf or Hab fan we just have a hard time grasping the concept of selling a promising young prospect purely for money in the owners pocket. It's not like the Preds are against the cap and need the space, and I imagine Shea Weber doesn't see it as a move to help his team win, especially since him and Franson are from the same hometown.

If the Leafs or Habs made this trade, their fans would not be happy.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:08 PM
JRB86

Ken Holland claims him

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
Another case of Franson is good till he is traded
Well, no one ever said he could skate or was good at defense.

We are just conveniently leaving his elite snapshot out of our conversations.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
I guess as a Leaf or Hab fan we just have a hard time grasping the concept of selling a promising young prospect purely for money in the owners pocket. It's not like the Preds are against the cap and need the space, and I imagine Shea Weber doesn't see it as a move to help his team win, especially since him and Franson are from the same hometown.

If the Leafs or Habs made this trade, their fans would not be happy.
You do realize that you know nothing about the ownership of the Nashville Predators or how they do business don't you? They are running the team on a budget that is lower than the salary cap, however that isn't because they are pocketing revenues...it's because they want to run the business with a balanced spreadsheet.

What comes in goes out. Last season, revenues were running higher than projected, so Poile went to CEO Jeff Cogen and COO Sean Henry and told them that Mike Fisher was available from the Senators and that he'd be a great fit here in Nashville, however Poile didn't want to give up any roster players to get him (ie: Poile wanted to bring in a salary without making any cuts to the existing payroll). Cogen and Henry agreed with Poile that Fisher would be a great fit and went to ownership and told them that the revenues were on track to cover this expenditure and that they should allow Poile to make the deal. Ownership gave Poile their full endorsement and sunk the extra revenues immediately into improving the team on the ice. Guess what, it got us into the playoffs and past the first round for the first time in franchise history.

The Predators have committed local ownership that has grown up in Nashville, made their money in Nashville, and live in Nashville. They are doing everything they can to bring The Cup to Nashville while also minding that it's gonna need to be done on a budget for the time being so that NHL hockey stays in Nashville long into the future.

Franson was heading into his final year as a Predator. That's the truth and it has little to do with finances. He has been the most protected defenseman in the NHL the past two seasons and honestly is likely close to as good as he's going to get due to his lack of mobility. Franson has been passed by younger prospects within the organization that have higher talent ceilings and simply had more trade value to the Predators than worth.

Even if Lombardi returns to the Maple Leafs, it was not a contract we could afford to risk. Lombardi is a good guy, he has a young family, I hope he returns to full health. It was simply a budgetary decision based on the fact that LTIR does nothing for a team that doesn't spend to the cap.

I'll take the roster and payroll flexibility gained by the trade than keeping Lombardi and Franson on the roster for next season. It certainly isn't conventional or ideal, but it is what it is. That salary saved will go directly back into the team payroll and hopefully bring us a piece that fits better. IMO, it's a win-win.

BTW, anyone who thought Lebda was going to suit up for the Predators when this deal was made really has no clue about our organization. It was clear as day from the time this deal was made that Lebda would be bought out/waived/whatever, but would not be with the Predators when training camp opened in the fall...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Everyone laughs and scoffs at Lebda - specially Leafs fan - but at the end of the day he has a ring and his name engraved in the Cup.

Life is cruel.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
RogerRoeper*

I'm still shocked Burke replaced Lebda with Cody Franson on D in the same trade.

Terrible summer for Nashville.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I really wanted to see the Lebda-Sloan pairing

DAMNIT!

Might just happen.... in Milwaukee.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Everyone laughs and scoffs at Lebda - specially Leafs fan - but at the end of the day he has a ring and his name engraved in the Cup.

Life is cruel.

Wtf is the point of this post?

Really hope the Habs pick him up. He'd look great with Markov.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He's not joking, the stats back it up. I love Fruitcup and I was sad to see him go, but ultimately e won't make or break a team. He's a slow offensive d-man with a crazy accurate snapshot. You can roll your eyes all you want, but if he's being painted to you as Chris Pronger because he's big, you're going to be disappointed. Hes a third pairing, second PP unit guy.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

I mean, it's just that people act like he's the least talent pylon to ever grace the NHL but somehow he was good enough to play nearly all games in the Wings' 2008 Cup run and most games with Detroit during his tenure there.

Not that his game hasn't depreciated as of late or that he was anything particularly good while with the Wings, it's just that he isn't an utter failure.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He's not joking, the stats back it up. I love Fruitcup and I was sad to see him go, but ultimately e won't make or break a team. He's a slow offensive d-man with a crazy accurate snapshot. You can roll your eyes all you want, but if he's being painted to you as Chris Pronger because he's big, you're going to be disappointed. Hes a third pairing, second PP unit guy.
What stats?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
What stats?
Look at zone starts, quality of opponent, etc...or just watch him in every game he's played in the NHL. You'll see the same thing...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
2 months till you see why firsthand

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Kamal007
God Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Leaf fans have no problem with any of that. Lebda has been more shielded than Franson and has failed harder. As long as he's an upgrade over Lebda and can provide some offensive support to our 2nd pp unit, we will be happy with him. He might even sit in the press box, if Komi can find his game. I don't know what RogerRoeper is getting his panties in a not over.

If anyone expects him to play top 4 minutes in Toronto, they are kidding themselves. For one, we have Schenn and Phanuef on the right side for the long haul.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
SJ will claim him

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Leaf fans have no problem with any of that. Lebda has been more shielded than Franson and has failed harder. As long as he's an upgrade over Lebda and can provide some offensive support to our 2nd pp unit, we will be happy with him. He might even sit in the press box, if Komi can find his game. I don't know what RogerRoeper is getting his panties in a not over.

If anyone expects him to play top 4 minutes in Toronto, they are kidding themselves. For one, we have Schenn and Phanuef on the right side for the long haul.
Then it will work out. I have no doubt that Franson is a better player than Lebda. No one disputes that. I have seen some--not all--Leafs fans that have some unrealistic expectations for Franson, and when any Nashville fan tries to give a true scouting report, we get accused of being "bitter.". See roeper, roger. The fact of the matter is this: Franson has an unreal snapshot, a pretty good first pass, and generally makes good choices when in position. That's the good. The bad is that he has the same slow, lumbering stride as Hal Gill, and also has a tendency to pinch at bad times. If he's not on the ice with both a quick, defensive minded d-man and a fast center, the opposition is assured of an odd man rush if he's out simply by chipping up the boards. Ultimately, he does more good than bad--it's why he's in the NHL--but Nashville did shelter him. Cody himself complains that he didn't get to pal more ES or PK minutes-- it's because he can be, CAN be a liability. His best usage is as a third pair ES guy, and as the triggerman on the second PP unit. His passing is pretty good, but his vision and creativity aren't great enough to play first pair PP, and he's not what you'd typically call a PP "quarterback"

Also, and this has been beaten into the ground-- he leaves you wanting more in terms of physicality. He will occasionally show you the type of hit he is capable of, but not nearly enough. That's a bit of a double edged sword, though. You want him to hit more, but you have to be absolutely certain that it's the right thing to do and the right time, because if it isn't, he's out of position wit little hope of getting back.

But anyway, this thread has gotten sidetracked. Lebda sucks, Preds fans know it and Poiles lack of recognition that he's even our property pretty much told us that he wasn't in the plans. As was mentioned, the unspoken asset that Nashville got back was money. Theyve expressed desire to add another top six fwd to the mix. Even if Lombardi comes back, he's basically a lesser version of Legwand and Fisher, so the Preds could use the money on someone tha fits the offensive need better, likel via trade. Franson is a nice young player, but the presence and NHL-readiness of prospects like Roman Josi, Mattias Ekholm, and Ryan Ellis--as well as the emergence of Jon Blum--ultimately made such a move possible and not all that painful.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:02 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

it's hearings scheduled. It doesnt matter if the players actually make it to the hearing or not.

because weber and kost both filed for arbitration, they get the supplementary buyout window.

08-07-2011, 12:08 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Might just happen.... in Milwaukee.
Unconditional waivers ≠ regular waivers, so he's not going to see Milwaukee.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
Nah, his secret power is angering the fans. He's quite good at it.
That would be the ONE and ONLY Jay Bouwmeeeeeester!!

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Not that I think Lebda would be a good pickup for the Hawks, but it would be nice to have a Chicagoan on the roster. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't had one since Craig Anderson...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:14 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
Not that I think Lebda would be a good pickup for the Hawks, but it would be nice to have a Chicagoan on the roster. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't had one since Craig Anderson...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
You can have him! He will make a great addition to your pressbox, and for the low, low price of $1.4m!!

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
dtones520

Quote:

The point of the post is that Lebda has been dogged and laughed at by Leafs fans ever since he has been with Toronto, but despite the fact that he is an average NHL player his name is on the cup and a ring sits on his finger...something that no one associated with the Leafs can say for like 50 years.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote