HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

worst prospect pool in the NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2011, 03:45 AM
  #26
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Philly's was pretty brutal before Schenn and Couturier.
Sharks too but at least they have a contending team right now where as the Flames have a crappy team and no future to look forward to. Knowing Feasters abysmal record at drafting, that might not change very soon either.

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:49 AM
  #27
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The Flames have about 4 guys we're a bit excited for. Bartschi, Reinhart, Howse, who we are hoping can someday become top 6 forwards (though the latter two will most likely be 3rd-4th liners), and Brodie, who we hope can become a top 4 defender. Maybe Leach as well.

Make what you will of that. It's probably around the bottom, but it's better than it's been since the lockout.
I think the Flames made a mistake taking Bartschi, considering that McNeill was still on the board.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:51 AM
  #28
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Philly's was pretty brutal before Schenn and Couturier.
Sharks too but at least they have a contending team right now where as the Flames have a crappy team and no future to look forward to. Knowing Feasters abysmal record at drafting, that might not change very soon either.
You'd think by some of these posts that the Flames finished 30th overall this past season. 94 points, oh lawdy lawdy, worst team in the league.

Anyway, the Flames have spent a lot of time revamping their scouting and drafting system over the past 2 seasons. It's looks like they're starting to get on track now.

Edit: and whataya know? LiquidSnake with more great analysis and kind words for the Flames. I was getting worried after 1 page that he wouldn't show up. If only all GMs in the league had the ability to see 3 years in the future, like this fine man.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:56 AM
  #29
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Philly's was pretty brutal before Schenn and Couturier.
Sharks too but at least they have a contending team right now where as the Flames have a crappy team and no future to look forward to. Knowing Feasters abysmal record at drafting, that might not change very soon either.
does Schenn really count as a prospect if he's expected to make the team and when he is acquired for Richards thats tells me they think he will be a flyer . I think we should see if he makes the team before we call him a prospect.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:58 AM
  #30
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
You'd think by some of these posts that the Flames finished 30th overall this past season. 94 points, oh lawdy lawdy, worst team in the league.

Anyway, the Flames have spent a lot of time revamping their scouting and drafting system over the past 2 seasons. It's looks like they're starting to get on track now.

Edit: and whataya know? LiquidSnake with more great analysis and kind words for the Flames. I was getting worried after 1 page that he wouldn't show up. If only all GMs in the league had the ability to see 3 years in the future, like this fine man.
How the pro team did has NOTHING to do with this thread this is about Farm system and who has the worst.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:59 AM
  #31
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
How the pro team did has NOTHING to do with this thread this is about Farm system and who has the worst.
Yeah, I agree 100%. Good thing I wasn't the guy who decided San Jose has better prospects than the Flames because the Flames "have a crappy team and no future to look forward to".

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
  #32
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
You'd think by some of these posts that the Flames finished 30th overall this past season. 94 points, oh lawdy lawdy, worst team in the league.

Anyway, the Flames have spent a lot of time revamping their scouting and drafting system over the past 2 seasons. It's looks like they're starting to get on track now.

Edit: and whataya know? LiquidSnake with more great analysis and kind words for the Flames. I was getting worried after 1 page that he wouldn't show up. If only all GMs in the league had the ability to see 3 years in the future, like this fine man.
I dont need to see the future to be able to tell who has a better shot at being successful in the NHL. There's also a reason that a team that has a good history of drafting/developing prospects like the Hawks were laughing when McNeill landed to them.

Calgary's biggest positional need for the past decade has a been a #1 Center and they missed the boat yet again while they had a high pick. Instead, they took an undersized Winger hoping that his skill will offset his lack of strength.

Add in the fact that they have probably one of the worst GMs in the league in terms of drafting and I'm not sure how you can sit there and be so confident after a couple of newspaper clippings from the Calgary Herald about how "awesome" that pick was.

To each their own I guess, you guys are still in the "just get into" the playoffs mode for the past 4 seasons.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:17 AM
  #33
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I dont need to see the future to be able to tell who has a better shot at being successful in the NHL. There's also a reason that a team that has a good history of drafting/developing prospects like the Hawks were laughing when McNeill landed to them.

Calgary's biggest positional need for the past decade has a been a #1 Center and they missed the boat yet again while they had a high pick. Instead, they took an undersized Winger hoping that his skill will offset his lack of strength.

Add in the fact that they have probably one of the worst GMs in the league in terms of drafting and I'm not sure how you can sit there and be so confident after a couple of newspaper clippings from the Calgary Herald about how "awesome" that pick was.

To each their own I guess, you guys are still in the "just get into" the playoffs mode for the past 4 seasons.
You take the BPA, which Calgary did.

And how exactly is Bartschi undersized, especially in today's game?

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:20 AM
  #34
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
SJ maybe but not Vancouver simply because they usually keep their picks and Calgary likes to trade them,
And that is relevant how? Our current group is better than their's in my view.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:24 AM
  #35
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I dont need to see the future to be able to tell who has a better shot at being successful in the NHL. There's also a reason that a team that has a good history of drafting/developing prospects like the Hawks were laughing when McNeill landed to them.

Calgary's biggest positional need for the past decade has a been a #1 Center and they missed the boat yet again while they had a high pick. Instead, they took an undersized Winger hoping that his skill will offset his lack of strength.

Add in the fact that they have probably one of the worst GMs in the league in terms of drafting and I'm not sure how you can sit there and be so confident after a couple of newspaper clippings from the Calgary Herald about how "awesome" that pick was.

To each their own I guess, you guys are still in the "just get into" the playoffs mode for the past 4 seasons.
Alright, this is a good response.

I guess I'll be pretty quick. Yeah, Feaster has a terrible draft record with Tampa. But a GM isn't the only one who influences a team's picks. Scouting, player development... all have their say. I'm not saying the Flames are great in any of these areas (obviously in the recent past, we haven't been), but we've been adding more hockey minds to the organization over the past couple years.

I'm not meaning to sound confident, because I'm not at this point. But I know that if something isn't working, then it won't last, and I know the team will do what it can to fix it.

As for our 1st pick in the last draft, the Flames picked what they thought to be the best player available. It may not be what you thought or some analysts on TSN or what have you, but I think it's a good pick. I also felt he was the BPA, though that doesn't really matter. Yeah, he's a little small (5'10") but he's a really hard worker and has a solid skill set. I guess I'm not going to change your mind here, but I'm happy with the pick.

And you're right, the Flames are in a bubble team mode right now, but it'll be a year of transition for the Flames. You've already heard this though and I know your opinion on our free agency hopes, so I don't need to get into it.

So to remain on topic... The Flames are in the bottom 5 in the league in terms of prospects, but I don't think they have quite the worst.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:26 AM
  #36
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Penguins.
Eh, Pittsburgh's isn't pretty but with at least a small handful of players with good upside and more importantly a lot of workman-like pawns (which the organization loves) they're on a different level than Calgary, San Jose and Philadelphia (pre-Schenn and Couturier). After Ericsson was let go, Eric Wellwood rose darn near the top of the list and he's a 3rd or 4th liner at very best...that was a hideous group. And once Schenn graduates, it may very well be again. As Bourdon, Lehtivouri and crew aren't doing themselves many favors.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:27 AM
  #37
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
And that is relevant how? Our current group is better than their's in my view.
because it's hard for a team that doesn't keep their picks to have a better farm system then a team that keeps their picks since you need picks to draft prospects or you need to be able to acquire them through trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:43 AM
  #38
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Alright, this is a good response.

I guess I'll be pretty quick. Yeah, Feaster has a terrible draft record with Tampa. But a GM isn't the only one who influences a team's picks. Scouting, player development... all have their say. I'm not saying the Flames are great in any of these areas (obviously in the recent past, we haven't been), but we've been adding more hockey minds to the organization over the past couple years.

I'm not meaning to sound confident, because I'm not at this point. But I know that if something isn't working, then it won't last, and I know the team will do what it can to fix it.

As for our 1st pick in the last draft, the Flames picked what they thought to be the best player available. It may not be what you thought or some analysts on TSN or what have you, but I think it's a good pick. I also felt he was the BPA, though that doesn't really matter. Yeah, he's a little small (5'10") but he's a really hard worker and has a solid skill set. I guess I'm not going to change your mind here, but I'm happy with the pick.

And you're right, the Flames are in a bubble team mode right now, but it'll be a year of transition for the Flames. You've already heard this though and I know your opinion on our free agency hopes, so I don't need to get into it.

So to remain on topic... The Flames are in the bottom 5 in the league in terms of prospects, but I don't think they have quite the worst.
Fair enough. I dont think the Flames are the worst. Not by a longshot. Right now, they're the "sexy pick" to crap on is why they get so much flak.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:54 AM
  #39
PenguinTommy
Registered User
 
PenguinTommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zvolen
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Penguins.
Not sure if trollin or serious ???

OK, we don't have any Schenn's, RNH's, etc., but Despres, Tangradi, Morrow, Jeffrey, Nick Johnson, Kuhnhackl, or even Strait, Veillieux, Sneep aren't too shabby

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:13 AM
  #40
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Eh, Pittsburgh's isn't pretty but with at least a small handful of players with good upside and more importantly a lot of workman-like pawns (which the organization loves) they're on a different level than Calgary, San Jose and Philadelphia (pre-Schenn and Couturier). After Ericsson was let go, Eric Wellwood rose darn near the top of the list and he's a 3rd or 4th liner at very best...that was a hideous group. And once Schenn graduates, it may very well be again. As Bourdon, Lehtivouri and crew aren't doing themselves many favors.
I fail to see how they are on another level than Calgary and Philly, Philly has very little depth but at this point has two of the games top prospects, while Calgary lacks true top end talent but certainly hold's quality depth that will produce NHL players.

With that being said, It's still a matter of preference that determines one's feelings on the subject.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:26 AM
  #41
Virtanev
★★★
 
Virtanev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,172
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Absolutely, The Sharks easily have the worst prospect pool.

I would also give Calgary an edge over Vancouver as well.
LOL really? Vancouvers prospect pool is much better IMO after Bartschi Calgary has nowhere near the same amount of depth Vancouver has.

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:00 AM
  #42
Howe Elbows 9
Caps bandwagoner
 
Howe Elbows 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 371
Bottom five for me along with the players that I see as their top prospects...

- Sharks (Doherty, Säteri, Stalock)

- Jets (Scheifele, Carl Klingberg, Cormier)
- Flames (Bärtschi, Reinhart, Brodie)
- Flyers (Schenn, Couturier, Gustafsson)
- Penguins (Despres, Tangradi, Morrow)

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:14 AM
  #43
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Its between the Sharks,Flames,and Flyers imo.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
  #44
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Eh, Pittsburgh's isn't pretty but with at least a small handful of players with good upside and more importantly a lot of workman-like pawns (which the organization loves) they're on a different level than Calgary, San Jose and Philadelphia (pre-Schenn and Couturier). After Ericsson was let go, Eric Wellwood rose darn near the top of the list and he's a 3rd or 4th liner at very best...that was a hideous group. And once Schenn graduates, it may very well be again. As Bourdon, Lehtivouri and crew aren't doing themselves many favors.
We do have a poor prospect pool, but we also have an incredibly young core group of players, and a goaltender that should be elite for the next 5 years. All we need from our prospect pool at the moment is 3rd and 4th line fillers. Which we have in plenty.

Schenn - Makes the big team this year, no question
Couturier - Going to make the team next year at least( longshot this year)
Gustafsson - Great D prospect. He's incredibly hard to predict. Been compared to timonen.

Then we have the fillers

Ben Holmstrom - Set to replace betts, may make the team out of camp. Solid on PK, solid on face-offs.

Matt Read - Impressed lots of people at the end of last year in the AHL. Will probably start the year in the AHL, but could have anything from top 6 to bottom 6 potential. Again another prospect impossible to predict.

Mike Testwuide - Big guy, solid hands, very, very good defensively. Could be looking at a call-up this year to the big team.

Erik Wellwood - stupidly fast. Bottom 6 player

So it really isn't that bad , when you consider we have Voracek, JVR, Giroux, Simmonds, Nodl and Bobrovsky.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:26 AM
  #45
bradbirtch
go leafs tank
 
bradbirtch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: brockville ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
the flames

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:27 AM
  #46
Saving Greiss
Go sell ice cream!
 
Saving Greiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
The team's official website calls Paul Byron "one of the Flames' most promising prospects." Whether that speaks well of Byron or poorly of the Flames is up to you. (P.S. it's the latter.)
Ryan Lambert, Puck Daddy

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
  #47
FinHockey
KRH Master Race
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,254
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Violence View Post
Bottom five for me along with the players that I see as their top prospects...

- Sharks (Doherty, Säteri, Stalock)

- Jets (Scheifele, Carl Klingberg, Cormier)
- Flames (Bärtschi, Reinhart, Brodie)
- Flyers (Schenn, Couturier, Gustafsson)
- Penguins (Despres, Tangradi, Morrow)
If you're going by the top three then Flyers should be nowhere near the bottom with those guys.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
  #48
Confound
-Vindicated-
 
Confound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,670
vCash: 500
Calgary.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
  #49
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Violence View Post
Bottom five for me along with the players that I see as their top prospects...

- Sharks (Doherty, Säteri, Stalock)

- Jets (Scheifele, Carl Klingberg, Cormier)
- Flames (Bärtschi, Reinhart, Brodie)
- Flyers (Schenn, Couturier, Gustafsson)
- Penguins (Despres, Tangradi, Morrow)
I fail to see how those two can be bottom five.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:00 AM
  #50
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Here's a list...

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1012

I'm just the messenger of their opinions...



_______________________________


Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.