HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
08-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Lol. Having 3 of the worst contracts in the league on your books all in 1 year (Gomez, Drury & Redden), all given post lockout, isn't a fireable offense? Man I wish you were my boss.
I only granted you that Redden's was an inexcusable deal.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:56 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
And yet, after 7 pages since this thread was bumped this offseason, you still have absolutely no understanding of the point you're arguing against is.

Why bother?
why dont you tell me what point im arguing against? because why would i know?

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
It's saying we can only consider the past and not the bright future at all in determining how we feel about Sather today. That's BS, but that allows her preconceived narrative to hold true.

Nice try, but no. I've said Sather has ****ed up even post lockout. I just believe it isn't anything that would be a fireable offense. Redden's contract sucked. Regressed the past few years before and paid him as if he hadn't.
Spending to the cap while the team continues to toil in mediocrity, to me, is a fireable offense.

Quote:
I don't think jersey girl has ever said anything even remotely positive about Sather.
So? Not sure why that's such an issue for you. He's a below average GM and has been, more or less, since the Messier trade.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
So? Not sure why that's such an issue for you. He's a below average GM and has been, more or less, since the Messier trade.
Nothing like spending how may years wearing blinders?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Huh? How did you manage to only read/quote the first sentence of my previous post. If you read the full thing I answer your question there.
I read your entire post - I don't see how you could consider what Sather has done 'amazing' if there are no results to prove so.

08-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I read your entire post - I don't see how you could consider what Sather has done 'amazing' if there are no results to prove so.
process

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
JimmyStart*

Some people are blind to the fact that somehow our GM has managed to get past quite a few large errors, our drafting has been good at the very least and our ability to develop from within has become good at the very least and because of that we are a consistent playoff team after the lockout.
However we also are a consistent early outs in the PO's. However the moves and growth of several players should usher in at the very least a trip to the ECF. However it is important not to forget we'vestill got Redden on the books and Drury and the opportunity is there for both Gabs and Richards to drown this team although in fairness they are 50 x better signings than the Gomez, Drury, Redden, kotalik signings were. I don't blindly hate Sather but neither do I fully support him. If I remember he didn't even negotiate the deals this summer.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
process
process that takes how many years?15?16?

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Well, in the approximately 10 years Sather's been in charge the Rangers have gone from a 10th & 11th place ranged team to an 8th & 9th place ranged team (in the conference). So at this rate we'll be challenging for the conference lead in 50 years! "Re-elect Mayor Glen Sather: Progress is his middle name!"

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
You know full well thagt the process of letting youth develop anbd adding to it is NOT the same process that qwas done over the full 15 years. To pretend otherwise suggests maybe you haven't been around the full 15 and are just hating b/c it's the easy thing to do

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Well, in the approximately 10 years Sather's been in charge the Rangers have gone from a 10th & 11th place ranged team to an 8th & 9th place ranged team (in the conference). So at this rate we'll be challenging for the conference lead in 50 years! "Re-elect Mayor Glen Sather: Progress is his middle name!"
Love that movie.

He's like middle of the road, leaning towards "O.K.", but not quite out of "BAD" area. He has done some good and he has done some bad. On top of that, people shouldn't even worry anymore, I'm not entirely sure he is even running this team any longer, but I don't have any real proof or anything like that, just a guess.

Well maybe the better word is hunch.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
You know full well thagt the process of letting youth develop anbd adding to it is NOT the same process that qwas done over the full 15 years. To pretend otherwise suggests maybe you haven't been around the full 15 and are just hating b/c it's the easy thing to do
yeah,right.if only Sather was actually developing youth his entire time here and not throwing contracts out to winners like Brashear,Holik,Gomez,Drury,Redden,Kotalik..etc etc...you are right,im hating on Sather just to hate.his history as GM here speaks for itself.so the past few seasons he finally starts holding on to the youth and developing it and it excuses him for the previous 7 or 8 years of setting this team back like he did while making no progress whatsoever.

seems reasonable to me.

Old
08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Sather has done more bad then good in his tenure here, but lately the good has outweighed the bad

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Sather has done more bad then good in his tenure here, but lately the good has outweighed the bad
correcting mistakes shouldnt be viewed as a good thing because its ****** that mistakes have to be corrected. especialy when those mistakes were redden and drury.

Old
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
correcting mistakes shouldnt be viewed as a good thing because its ****** that mistakes have to be corrected. especialy when those mistakes were redden and drury.
Good point. Essentially we've gotten back to zero.

08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
chip chipperson*

correcting mistakes is something a newly hired gm should be doing. sather should have never of had the opportunity to try and turn this team into a contender.

Old
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Perhaps. But he isn't doing anything he couldn't have done when he took over.

08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
process
In essence, you're really just appreciative of the fact that this organization appears to have a process in place.

This is how low standards are around here.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

for the record...i think half of this board would make better GMs than Sather....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
for the record...i think half of this board would make better GMs than Sather....
and the other half wouldnt,which is even scarier...

Old
08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Jersey Girl

I'm going to re-state my position, since Kel Varnsen/ aka genericnyrusername likes to distort it to fit his argument.

I am hopeful and looking forward to this season, but for me the proof (and the appreciation) is what takes place on the ice. If Sather leads us to two playoff series victories this year, appreciation will be very much warranted.

You can tell me all you want how much better we are...and I hope you are right. But once they start playing games, how much better you tell us they are won't matter anymore.

Results are what will matter. Give us results, receive appreciation...pretty simple actually.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
and the other half wouldnt,which is even scarier...
touche lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm going to re-state my position, since Kel Varnsen/ aka genericnyrusername likes to distort it to fit his argument.

I am hopeful and looking forward to this season, but for me the proof (and the appreciation) is what takes place on the ice. If Sather leads us to two playoff series victories this year, appreciation will be very much warranted.

You can tell me all you want how much better we are...and I hope you are right. But once they start playing games, how much better you tell us they are won't matter anymore.

Results are what will matter. Give us results, receive appreciation...pretty simple actually.
This is EXACTLY how I feel.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote