HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Arpon Basu: Demotion means a Promotion

Old
08-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I despised Odjick. Probably the only player that I've been ashamed of as a Montreal Canadien, even as a hockey player.
He's one dumb ***

Never liked him either.

Him and Theodore.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He's one dumb ***

Never liked him either.

Him and Theodore.
I have zero respect for Theodore. My brother is intellectually handicapped so naturally the habs do a lot of charities to benefit special needs kids. Growing up I got to meet all the current and past players and some real greats. The only people who were ever ****** bags:

Jose Theodore
Shane Corson (used to idolize this guy as a young kid too)

These two guys were just murdering the buffet and ignoring all the kids at the event I went to. Laughing it up and pretty much partying acting like big shots. It was a ****ing charity event for kids for ****s sake.

From that point forward I thought Theo was a ****** bag and same for Corson. Some people from the habs "team" actually had to come over and tell them to stop sitting on their ass and go sign autographs etc

Whenever it was Saku or one of the other guys they were always great and looked happy to be there. Even the ones who were more shy than others. Honorable mention goes to Guy Lafleur too. I think it would kill that guy if he ever smiled at one of these events. I understand they're rich and they have to take the time out of their "important" day in order to do this but would it kill them to be the least bit professional?

With Guy at least he didn't act like a ***** he just looked annoyed. With every other play I've met I have nothing but good things to say. Beliveau, Henri Richard, plenty of others from back in the day were always more than happy to not only sign autographs but even talk hockey with you. I was pretty impressed with how nice a guy Henri was when I was a kid growing up. (Would stand there and talk hockey with you for a long while if you'd approach him)

He was a very open and friendly person. I don't have huge expectations but when you're doing a charity event for kids stop doing your coke binge at 11 the night before instead of 5am and don't act like a dick when these people who idolize you are coming to see their hero. (Not really implying that they were just pissed off with the way they acted)

As a kid finding out somebody you idolize is just a total *****, it just sucks.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
I miss those days , Mr.October!
Shayne Corson , Marius Czerkawski , Turner Stevenson , that Laflamme guy , Gino "beautiful smile" odjick...
What do you miss exactly?? I hated our team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
I miss those days , Mr.October!
Shayne Corson , Marius Czerkawski , Turner Stevenson , that Laflamme guy , Gino "beautiful smile" odjick...
When we traded for Czerkawski I remember thinking "Finally, a talented RW!". What horrible years

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
habsjunkie2*

I actually think AK is more suited for a top 6 role than Erik Cole, but I don't think the Habs gave him 18million for the 3rd line. I expect AK, Cole, Pacioretty to move around and in and out of the top 6 based on slumps ect. The good news is if Moen and Darche end up in the top 6, it's likely something went drastically wrong.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Miller Time

it will be interesting to see what the final lines end up like... I wouldn't jump the gun and assume right away that Cole gets a top-6 spot and Kost gets "bumped" to the third line.

Martin might favor lining Cole up next to Eller, giving the young guy a bit of a "mentor" winger to take some of the pressure off of playing bigger minutes, especially if DD is the bookend winger...

Cammy-Pleks-Akost
MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta
Cole- Eller- DD
Moen- White- Darche

even more interesting would be to see DD put on the first line, with Cammy/Pleks, and then seeing a third line of Cole-Eller-Kost... would give opposing teams a very difficult task of matching up, while undersized, Cammy-Pleks-DD would still be offensively dynamic, and a cole-eller-kost line would have the size and offensive talent to cause matchup nightmares for most team...

Cammy-Pleks-DD
MaxpAc-Gomez-Gionta
Cole-Eller-Kost

or break up the gomez line...

Cammy-Pleks-gionta
MaxPac-Gomez-DD
Cole-Eller-Gionta

or perhaps split Cammy-pleks...

MaxPac- Pleks- DD
Cammy- Eller- Kost
Cole- Gomez- Gionta

really, there are lot of feasible combinations to start the season, I hope Martin does a bit of experimenting in practice/preseason, and takes strong input from all 3 centres in making his decision.
in any case, I think the likelyhood is that we see Kost have a career year this year, regardless of which line he ends up on. As great as it will be for our chances at success this year, it will put PG into a tough spot decision wise... keep him for the playoff run or move him for a small ransom @ the deadline if an extension isn't looking feasible

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Ketzlaf

No one else sees the futility of predicting line combos in a JM system? Factor in injuries, and we have a very pointless exercice in front of us

My prediction: The line combos on opening night will be different then game 3's lines, and won't have anything similar to game 40's line combos.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
in any case, I think the likelyhood is that we see Kost have a career year this year, regardless of which line he ends up on. As great as it will be for our chances at success this year, it will put PG into a tough spot decision wise... keep him for the playoff run or move him for a small ransom @ the deadline if an extension isn't looking feasible
I don't see us selling any of our guys unless we're out of the race.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have zero respect for Theodore. My brother is intellectually handicapped so naturally the habs do a lot of charities to benefit special needs kids. Growing up I got to meet all the current and past players and some real greats. The only people who were ever ****** bags:

Jose Theodore
Shane Corson (used to idolize this guy as a young kid too)

These two guys were just murdering the buffet and ignoring all the kids at the event I went to. Laughing it up and pretty much partying acting like big shots. It was a ****ing charity event for kids for ****s sake.

From that point forward I thought Theo was a ****** bag and same for Corson. Some people from the habs "team" actually had to come over and tell them to stop sitting on their ass and go sign autographs etc

Whenever it was Saku or one of the other guys they were always great and looked happy to be there. Even the ones who were more shy than others. Honorable mention goes to Guy Lafleur too. I think it would kill that guy if he ever smiled at one of these events. I understand they're rich and they have to take the time out of their "important" day in order to do this but would it kill them to be the least bit professional?

With Guy at least he didn't act like a ***** he just looked annoyed. With every other play I've met I have nothing but good things to say. Beliveau, Henri Richard, plenty of others from back in the day were always more than happy to not only sign autographs but even talk hockey with you. I was pretty impressed with how nice a guy Henri was when I was a kid growing up. (Would stand there and talk hockey with you for a long while if you'd approach him)

He was a very open and friendly person. I don't have huge expectations but when you're doing a charity event for kids stop doing your coke binge at 11 the night before instead of 5am and don't act like a dick when these people who idolize you are coming to see their hero. (Not really implying that they were just pissed off with the way they acted)

As a kid finding out somebody you idolize is just a total *****, it just sucks.
I've lived in St-Bruno a long time, had many friends around there, Ste-Julie and St-Basile, have encountered Theo many times and his reputation over there is exactly what you said.

Met Koivu once, very reserved, but also very kind, and I knew people who were saying he was smaller than 5'10 were full of it, as I'm 5'11 and we were about the same height. Koivu really had it hard from many fans and journalists over the years (even DeFoy still complained about his lack of being forthcoming with Journalists when Cole signed with us, I mean, get over it dude), it's a surprise that he lasted that long and a testament of the strong character he has. He wasn't perfect, but he was far from as bad as a lot of people made him out to be.

Not surprised about Lafleur either. Saw him in person 2-3 years ago, such a bitter old man.

The one guy I met, who I thought was really great is Mike Bossy, when I lived in Boisbriand. That guy is just really great in person. Smilling, friendly with everyone, really down to earth. He really seemed to appreciate what life has given him.

I also saw Roy at the St-thérese La Cage in the early 90s, taking a beer on several occasions at the bar, was too young and intimidated at the time to come up to him and talk, but he seemed, I don't know, kind of an ass with people. Never smiled the several times I saw him.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

The guys with established roles are the centers and I think the lines will be built from there.

Plekanec is definately going to be the starting point for a power versus power shutdown line. Gomez will get an offensive role against mainly second lines and Eller/Desharnais will get the soft minute parade.

xxxxxxxxxx - Plekanec - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - Gomez - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - Eller/Desharnais

Gionta and Gomez are probably attached at the hip at this point unless Cole can replicate Gionta's chemistry with Gomez

xxxxxxxxxx - Plekanec - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - Gomez - Gionta
xxxxxxxxxx - Eller/Desharnais

Then its 4 wingers that can be shifted around as need.
Cole - probably on top two lines as a tough minute player that he was brought in to be. Can be either RW or LW.
Kostitsyn - 1st or 3rd line as needed as can both compliment Plekanec in the tough role and be a leader on a 3rd line. Can be either LW or RW
Pacioretty - Basically good enough to play on any line but young enough that third unit wouldn't be out of line. Primarily LW
Cammaleri - A bit of a wild card. He and Plekanec form a good duo but he is much better suited to a line that doesn't get super hard minutes as that really puts a damper on his offensive skills which are the best on the team. He can do that job pretty well but it might not be the best use of his talents. Either way, he deserves more ice time than he'd get on the third unit so he's also likely going to be on one of the top two units. Primarily LW

So:

Cammaleri/Cole/Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole/Kostitsyn
Cammaleri/Cole/Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty/Kostitsyn - Eller/Desharnais

If Cammaleri or Pacioretty is with Gomez that will be even more of an offensive line while with Cole it would be expected to do some more shutdown play. For Plekanec, the most defensive arrangement is with Kostitsyn and Cole and the most offensive is probably Cammaleri and Kostitsyn. Whether Pacioretty or Kostitsyn plays with Eller doesn't particularly change the nature of the third line.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I've lived in St-Bruno a long time, had many friends around there, Ste-Julie and St-Basile, have encountered Theo many times and his reputation over there is exactly what you said.

Met Koivu once, very reserved, but also very kind, and I knew people who were saying he was smaller than 5'10 were full of it, as I'm 5'11 and we were about the same height. Koivu really had it hard from many fans and journalists over the years (even DeFoy still complained about his lack of being forthcoming with Journalists when Cole signed with us, I mean, get over it dude), it's a surprise that he lasted that long and a testament of the strong character he has. He wasn't perfect, but he was far from as bad as a lot of people made him out to be.

Not surprised about Lafleur either. Saw him in person 2-3 years ago, such a bitter old man.

The one guy I met, who I thought was really great is Mike Bossy, when I lived in Boisbriand. That guy is just really great in person. Smilling, friendly with everyone, really down to earth. He really seemed to appreciate what life has given him.
Met Bossy once at the Arena Mike Bossy Seemed like a really nice man. Smiling at everyone and joking with all the kids.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
No one else sees the futility of predicting line combos in a JM system? Factor in injuries, and we have a very pointless exercice in front of us

My prediction: The line combos on opening night will be different then game 3's lines, and won't have anything similar to game 40's line combos.
I've been saying this repeatedly except in a different way. In fact, it'll often change from the 1st period to the 3rd.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
neofury*

I'd love to have met Bossy! That guy was such a beast. I like the Islanders jersey (the way it looks) and they're one of the few teams in the East aside from Atlanta (now Winnipeg) that I somewhat aren't disgusted by. A vintage Bossy jersey would be epic.

Old
08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's the main thing. He looked very happy with Eller. And when he scored that goal on Eller's assist after that ice cold streak, he was just beaming. I rarely see AK showing emotion (not necessarily a bad thing) so I'm thinking he was genuinely happy playing with Eller... and not next to Gomer either
Which game was that?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
If Boston is the blueprint is AK better than Brad Marchand?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Which game was that?
I'm thinking he's talking about that goal but it was actually on a Halpern feed.

My favorite goal from last year!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
I'm thinking he's talking about that goal but it was actually on a Halpern feed.

My favorite goal from last year!
Oh man, I miss hockey..

Thank God summer is so great in Mtl otherwise I'd die of boredom.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
He's one dumb ***

Never liked him either.

Him and Theodore.
I just thought he was a disgusting hockey player. I've said it before here, but I'll never forget how he happened to be on the ice at the same time as Housley, who was a Flame at the time. Odjick saw an opportunity to elbow Housley at centre ice, far away from the play, and no official would have noticed. He went ahead and elbowed him, knocking Housley unconscious. No suspension, and barely recognised as a dirty play. I doubt the cameras caught it even. That was Housley's first concussion in around 19-20 years of playing.

I can appreciate dirty hockey. Claude was one of my favourites. But senseless dirty play, intended purely to severely injure the opposition, particularly in meaningless December regular season games ... one or two of those types, and the player should be tossed out of the league. Let them find a home with Vityaz of the KHL.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I just thought he was a disgusting hockey player. I've said it before here, but I'll never forget how he happened to be on the ice at the same time as Housley, who was a Flame at the time. Odjick saw an opportunity to elbow Housley at centre ice, far away from the play, and no official would have noticed. He went ahead and elbowed him, knocking Housley unconscious. No suspension, and barely recognised as a dirty play. I doubt the cameras caught it even. That was Housley's first concussion in around 19-20 years of playing.

I can appreciate dirty hockey. Claude was one of my favourites. But senseless dirty play, intended purely to severely injure the opposition, particularly in meaningless December regular season games ... one or two of those types, and the player should be tossed out of the league. Let them find a home with Vityaz of the KHL.
That's pathetic. I agree never knew about that hit but judging by what you said it was pathetic of him.

Old
08-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
So it would be impossible for Eller to suffer from a sophomore slump? He's guaranteed to produce at a huge clip next year?

I agree we'll have a great 3rd line, I just don't think we are going to have 9 players in the 50+ point range like people are suggesting. For DD and Ak to get to 50 points, its probably going to mean other players get injured. I think 40-50 points for them is way more realistic than 50+ points.

What do you think Eller will put up next year? If Eller-AK-DD start putting up a tonne of points, it will attract a tougher shut down competition for them.
Sophomore slumps usually come with players who break out being given a bigger role and put against tougher competition, in situations that they are not used to. Eller should not be facing this type of opposition this year and we should see a progression in his game.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Sophomore slumps usually come with players who break out being given a bigger role and put against tougher competition, in situations that they are not used to. Eller should not be facing this type of opposition this year and we should see a progression in his game.
I think with better wingers, Eller is going to get more attention from the opposition this year as opposed to last year.

With a mix of AK/Patches and DD on his wing, teams aren't going to continually send the 4th line against him. He will face tougher competition.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I think with better wingers, Eller is going to get more attention from the opposition this year as opposed to last year.

With a mix of AK/Patches and DD on his wing, teams aren't going to continually send the 4th line against him. He will face tougher competition.
They don't need to send 4th liners, just 3rd liners. 3 against 3.

Thing is, if they do start to send their top-6 against our 3rd line, it means they either have confidence in at line one line on their bottom-6 to match our top 6. It still means easier opposition for a the GGP line.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Which game was that?
Thought he meant this one, although I don't recall that goal ending a cold streak.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
So it would be impossible for Eller to suffer from a sophomore slump? He's guaranteed to produce at a huge clip next year?

I agree we'll have a great 3rd line, I just don't think we are going to have 9 players in the 50+ point range like people are suggesting. For DD and Ak to get to 50 points, its probably going to mean other players get injured. I think 40-50 points for them is way more realistic than 50+ points.

What do you think Eller will put up next year? If Eller-AK-DD start putting up a tonne of points, it will attract a tougher shut down competition for them.
For Eller to have a sophomore slump year, he would have needed an amazing rookie season as that's what this slump refers to. I like him, big talent, quick hands, great vision, but he didn't have a great rookie season. He didn't get that chance either. So if anything, he will have a good sophomore year and may be susceptible of hitting a slump in his 3rd year, especially if facing stronger opposition (2nd line).

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Thought he meant this one, although I don't recall that goal ending a cold streak.

It sure did.

He scored that goal after being "demoted" on the third line with Eller and Moen. Previously to that game, he was playing on the 2nd line with Gomez for 8 games. Got 0 pts and was -8.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote