HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our success rests on our 2nd-pairing sophomores; true or false?

Old
08-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Our success rests on our 2nd-pairing sophomores; true or false?

I was thinking about the Rangers today and what are our real weaknesses. With the addition of Richards we have a seriously strong team this year and barring any serious injuries I see us a lock for the playoffs.

Anyways, Looking at our line up I find it amazing that, in my opinion, the success of this club rests on the backs of two sophomore defenseman in Sauer and McD. Richards/Gabbi clicking will be important but if they don't we can still be successful. They are both skilled players and we can juggle the lines to make it work... However, We have a serious lack of depth at the top 4 D position and if either one of these guys goes down long term we are in serious trouble.

McD or Sauer regressing this year could easily lead to our downfall. We are relying heavily on two defenseman with 1 year experience looking down the barrel of the notorious sophomore slump. I'm expecting this line to playing ~15min a game (1/4 of the game to put it in perspective).

What is the biggest concern you see this team has that could lead to our demise?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I was thinking about the Rangers today and what are our real weaknesses. With the addition of Richards we have a seriously strong team this year and barring any serious injuries I see us a lock for the playoffs.

Anyways, Looking at our line up I find it amazing that, in my opinion, the success of this club rests on the backs of two sophomore defenseman in Sauer and McD. Richards/Gabbi clicking will be important but if they don't we can still be successful. They are both skilled players and we can juggle the lines to make it work... However, We have a serious lack of depth at the top 4 D position and if either one of these guys goes down long term we are in serious trouble.

McD or Sauer regressing this year could easily lead to our downfall. We are relying heavily on two defenseman with 1 year experience looking down the barrel of the notorious sophomore slump. I'm expecting this line to playing ~15min a game (1/4 of the game to put it in perspective).

What is the biggest concern you see this team has that could lead to our demise?
Our biggest concern is Richards being Richards. I have no doubt that he will be. But IMO, our defense was rock solid last year, our biggest concern this year will be scoring goals and the power play. Richards should help fix that A LOT

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:44 PM
ruckus*

I'd worry more about Stepan and Anisimov continuing to improve. Not that I don't think they will, but I think that those players will be absolutely huge. With top D pairings focused on Gabby and Richards, the Dubi-Arty-Cally line and Steps line are going to need to make teams pay.

Our power play is the biggest key though. It has been since the lockout. Teams are way too close in the NHL these days. The teams with the best special teams are the ones who are the best teams. It not really rocket science.

McDonagh and Sauer are the least of my worries. Their games are simple. Complete different situation here than Del Zotto last year.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Vitto79

McD and Sauer will play big roles but I have high hopes for Erixon and DZ too. Wont be shocked if one slumps but another picks them up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
broadwayblue

I think our success will be more tied to our PP and secondary scoring. I have no doubts that Sauer and McDonagh will pick right up where they left off.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

i dont see what the concern is with McD and Sauer. They were able to log the big minutes last year especially Sauer who was up for the whole season. Sauer isnt exactly young anymore. I understand having some concern after the season MDZ had however those two play a different game than del zotto. We need them to be defensive defensemen and they are that. They wont forget how to play defense and they arent all the sudden going to be slower at their ages. We already knew mdz's defensive game wasnt good but his offensive game was great making up for his flaw. but when he stop scoring he became vulnerable. Sauer and McD arent being askef to score.

I'm more concerned with tge PP and Gaborik.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
district9

i think this is true to an extent.. a lot of people aren't thinking about how easy it is for a couple of 2nd year guys to have off years. i think mcdonagh is the bigger question mark because he only played 40 games for us last year, sauer played almost the full season so i don't expect a slump from him. i THINK they'll be fine but i'm not sure of it.

i would honestly say that them not playing up to their potential could cost us a chance to make a big splash this year. if we don't have a solid showing from our 2nd line, what can we expect from the 3rd? especially since our 3rd line is already our biggest question mark. if we only have one reliable defensive line i can't see us doing anything big this year

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i would honestly say that them not playing up to their potential could cost us a chance to make a big splash this year. if we don't have a solid showing from our 2nd line, what can we expect from the 3rd? especially since our 3rd line is already our biggest question mark. if we only have one reliable defensive line i can't see us doing anything big this year
Yeah. That's the point im trying to make. We don't have a guy on our 3rd line who can step up and play top 4 D time and us be successful. He's gonna get ripped apart by teams like Pitt who have Malkin or J. Staal on the 2nd line.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

I wouldn't say that this is a true/false or either or proposition, but I think it's one of many concerns.
I expect that the coaching staff is going to ask them to do a little more than the keep it simple game they were asked to play last season...face it these guys are gonna wind up playing a good chunk of minutes with the 1st line...Torts is going to want them to attack which means they will probably suffer some growing pains, but those I'm willing to live with.
Improving the PP, Reducing PP's against, which Gabby do we get are all higher on my list of concerns than Sauer/McD.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
ruckus*

Ranger Boy posted an ESPN article the other day that referenced how the sophomore slump thing is a pretty big myth.

With the type of players we have, and the character of those individuals, I don't see them doing anything but improving.

If X gets injured we're in trouble. Yeah, well, most teams in the league are. In that case I think we'd have to rely on a player like Erixon or Valentenko doing what Sauer and McDonagh did last year. We don't know because it hasn't happened yet. And if Sauer and McDonagh stay healthy I think you're crying over milk that hasn't been spilled yet.

What if Erixon is as good as advertised? What if DZ reverts to rookie status? What if Valentenko shows he's NHL ready?

The what if's can go a lot of different ways.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think our success will be more tied to our PP and secondary scoring. I have no doubts that Sauer and McDonagh will pick right up where they left off.
Sauer, absolutely, because he has so much pro experience. McD I'm slightly more leery about, just because last year was his first year as a pro.

Either way, I'm confident those two will get the job done well enough. I think what will determine whether we're a 6-8 team or a 1-5 team will be how effective Stepan and Anisimov are and how much secondary scoring we get out of them.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yeah. That's the point im trying to make. We don't have a guy on our 3rd line who can step up and play top 4 D time and us be successful. He's gonna get ripped apart by teams like Pitt who have Malkin or J. Staal on the 2nd line.
I think that statement may turn out to be untrue. By all accounts (that I've read anyway) Erixon can log top 4 minutes out of the gate. Granted, he hasn't played a game in the NHL yet...but he's faired quite well against men in a legit league, and his D is apparently flawless. Now he may very well begin on the 3rd pair...but whether due to injury, compatibility or some other reason he could certainly move up at some point during the season. In a year or two he could very well be pushing for a spot with Staal on the 1st pairing.

Old
08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think that statement may turn out to be untrue. By all accounts (that I've read anyway) Erixon can log top 4 minutes out of the gate. Granted, he hasn't played a game in the NHL yet...but he's faired quite well against men in a legit league, and his D is apparently flawless. Now he may very well begin on the 3rd pair...but whether due to injury, compatibility or some other reason he could certainly move up at some point during the season. In a year or two he could very well be pushing for a spot with Staal on the 1st pairing.
Man, imagine if a couple of years from now we're looking at something like:

Staal - Erixon
McDonagh - Girardi

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I thought Anisimov was gonna regress last year, and he didn't. So, this year my concern will be on Stepan. If he regresses we could be in big trouble. McD and Sauer, I'm not concerned about. I'm actually looking really forward to seeing Erixon playing. If HIS D is as good as advertised, combined with Staal, Girardi, McD and Sauer..we could be looking at one of the best overall shut down D's in the league.

MDZ..he's a different story..he doesn't get his game together this year..we need to trade him!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sauer, absolutely, because he has so much pro experience. McD I'm slightly more leery about, just because last year was his first year as a pro.

Either way, I'm confident those two will get the job done well enough. I think what will determine whether we're a 6-8 team or a 1-5 team will be how effective Stepan and Anisimov are and how much secondary scoring we get out of them.
But the thing about McDonagh is he has excellent speed and plays responsibly at both ends of the ice. So for me the question is where will he max out as far as offensive production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Man, imagine if a couple of years from now we're looking at something like:

Staal - Erixon
McDonagh - Girardi
Yeah, and imagine if MDZ and/or McIlrath pan out.

Old
08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I thought Anisimov was gonna regress last year, and he didn't. So, this year my concern will be on Stepan. If he regresses we could be in big trouble. McD and Sauer, I'm not concerned about. I'm actually looking really forward to seeing Erixon playing. If HIS D is as good as advertised, combined with Staal, Girardi, McD and Sauer..we could be looking at one of the best overall shut down D's in the league.

MDZ..he's a different story..he doesn't get his game together this year..we need to trade him!
Because clearly a 21 year old offensive Dman who hasn't put it all together is a bust.

Old
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

They definitely have a lot of pressure, but I expect DZ to have a bounce back year and Erixon will be solid. No worries.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

My biggest concern going in is the fact that we're the New York Rangers. If the last 85 years are any indication, we're gonna **** something up.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

I'm still concerned with our primary scoring. Lets hope we have the chance to even call something secondary scoring.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
I'm still concerned with our primary scoring. Lets hope we have the chance to even call something secondary scoring.
Our secondary scoring has been our primary scoring. That was the problem.

Old
08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Our secondary scoring has been our primary scoring. That was the problem.
I know. But I didn't, or still don't, consider that primary scoring.

Edit: I'm talking in the sense that primary scoring comes from serious offensive threats. I understand that because they lead our offense they were technically the primary threat, but when I think of the good teams, the real contenders, I think of the big names that put up big numbers like Gaborik in his first year. That is "primary" scoring. First liners being first liners. haha

Old
08-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
I know. But I didn't, or still don't, consider that primary scoring.
Well you shouldn't that's why we're in 8th and not 3rd

Old
08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Well you shouldn't that's why we're in 8th and not 3rd

Old
08-07-2011, 05:25 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
McDonagh and Sauer are def gonna be a key part of our cup run this year they need to step up and meet our needs, but our biggest concern IMO is keeping Richards and Gaborik healthy all season, cuz if they are it will be the two most exciting players to watch play together

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

any one team's success never rests on just 2 players.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote