HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do you feel about the Minnesota Wild franchise?

Old
08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

vCash: 500
Neutral position from a Blackhawks fan who goes way back. Not close compared to the old Northstars rivalry. I am gald we are done seeing Dino Ciccarelli.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

If NHL teams were ice cream flavours, the Wild would be diet vanilla.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYzermanGreatest View Post
^^ So what your saying is you hate Christmas?
YES! Naw its not that. But you gotta admit seeing red and green everywhere for 2 months straight gets old fast. Not to mention it reminds you of cheesy decorations. I think I'm more miffed about the Wild because the other expansion teams didnt have real history(at least recent). So they could be a lil goofy and cartoony (mighty ducks, sharks) and no one minded because they were new. Imagine if the Yankees had to sell the team and ended up coming back as the New York Sky Scrapers or something.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?

I've actually been rooting for you guys to make the playoffs the last couple of years. I definitely wanted you to make it over Chicago last year. Now that you guys have Heatley, I'm not going to hate your team, instead I will love going to Minnesota games to heckle him endlessly. I will continue rooting for you guys over most of the Western Conference.

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?

I have viewed both Minnesota and Nashville differently than Atlanta and Columbus. Mostly because of their excellent fan bases. (Nashville recently + Mike Fisher)

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?

I like your green uniforms, but I would agree that the red needs to go. Red is way overused in the NHL, and I think that the Sens need to get rid of our current main jersey because it's too red.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?

I voted you guys in at 8th on the predictions thread, and I stand by that.

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?

I've heard the boring comments recently, but I don't find Minnesota particularly boring.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
YES! Naw its not that. But you gotta admit seeing red and green everywhere for 2 months straight gets old fast. Not to mention it reminds you of cheesy decorations. I think I'm more miffed about the Wild because the other expansion teams didnt have real history(at least recent). So they could be a lil goofy and cartoony (mighty ducks, sharks) and no one minded because they were new. Imagine if the Yankees had to sell the team and ended up coming back as the New York Sky Scrapers or something.
well didn't the Dodgers/Giants comeback as the Metropoltions

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYzermanGreatest View Post
well didn't the Dodgers/Giants comeback as the Metropoltions
Umm dunno? But if that were the case..where are they now? Exactly.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
If NHL teams were ice cream flavours, the Wild would be diet vanilla.
They definitely need some prospects (other than Granlund) and need to sign a top free agent or two down the line. After losing Gaborik I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't literally throw piles of money at hometown boy Zach Parise. He is exactly what they need.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

They're about as "meh" as it gets. Although I will always be grateful for game 82 vs Dallas.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
Umm dunno? But if that were the case..where are they now? Exactly.
they are still there, they just go by their shortened name Mets

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:53 PM
ruggaduck
Duck walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
They giftwrapped us Nick Leddy and took Cam Barker off our hands. I'm a pretty big fan of the Wild.
Seconded.

ruggaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
BLBarmada

Were on the right track so we won't be mediocre forever, CF was trying to rebuild and restock was trying to be competitive and that didn't work out.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
They definitely need some prospects (other than Granlund) and need to sign a top free agent or two down the line. After losing Gaborik I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't literally throw piles of money at hometown boy Zach Parise. He is exactly what they need.
I know that the whole fanbase would be absolutely stoked if we somehow were able to sign Parise.. I think realisticly most of us dont expect it to happen but I think we all kind of have a our fingers crossed hoping that he would come back home to play for us.. Again, it's a longshot but he would probably be Minnesota's next Neal Broten if he came back. Minnesotan's love their home town players & Parise lacing them up for Minnesota would be HUGE to all of us.. But again, high hopes but low expectations for it to actually happen...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
oilWILDcountry

I feel we need some true rivals.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
se7en
infamous...

Oh & I wanted to throw an extra thank you out there to all the peeps that are doing the quoting of the questions with their answers! Those make for really great reads because it's cool to get specific answers & its nice for all the peeps that aren't starting at page one to get an idea of the questions so thanks again guys!

Old
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Going to be honest since that's what you asked. They're kind of a blah team to me, not exactly a game i would circle on the calendar. Wild is a terrible name, but the jerseys themselves are very nice. Red and black are so overdone that dark green is actually rather refreshing and pleasant on the eyes.

To me they seem like a team with no identity, part of the reason being for most of their existence they've been a group of workmanlike players playing the trap. They've also never been particularly good or made any noteworthy headlines. To really get on the map in the NHL i think they need to put an exciting team on the ice that people will remember. This is why i see teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Ottawa, and Tampa as legitimate staples of the NHL while teams like the BlueJackets, Panthers, or Wild are just kind of blah. They need to make a splash when the whole hockey world is watching imo.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I have a tremendous amount of bitterness towards Minnesota. Not because of the team itself, or the fans, or the players, or anything like that - it's because they get to be the favored child while the rest of us recent expansion fans get constantly dumped on.

Never mind that pro hockey had been in the state of Ohio for years beforehand. Never mind that the Barons had left about twenty+ years earlier. Never mind that we were screwed over by the WHA days. Nooo, the Blue Jackets are a "southern" team that doesn't deserve hockey, while Minnesota is all right and proper and gets all the deference and respect in the world.

**** you all and the silver spoons you rode in with.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Leafan519

I'v always liked the Wild. They have one of the most creative and original logo's and the jerseys are quite nice as well (especially the 3rd which is gorgeous). I have respect for the team and the fanbase becuase Minnesota is so much like Canada for their love of hockey and they're team. My wife is actually from Minnesota and her parents got me a Wild T-shirt for Christmas last year and I've actually worn it more then a few times, and as a diehard Leaf fan I can say its the only other NHL teams colours I've ever sported lol.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
matCH penalty

Cal Clutterbuck makes watching their games at least mildly interesting. Good team, perhaps missing a few pieces to be more solid.

Plus, their RSN broadcast crew isn't bad.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
MO!
First Line Centre

1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?
As a Red Wings fan, we get to see the Wild a couple times of year. Definately not a cheesy expansion team in my opinion, but I don't look forward to playing the Wild really. With no real stars up until this point (minus Gaborik and Havlat), it's been more of a "can we beat their system" question.

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?
I definately respect the state of Minnesota for its love of Hockey, so I do respect their organization a bit more than the Columbus/Atlanta organizations.

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?
I'm indifferent to the jerseys. If I had to say, I like the logo's but the color scheme probably could drop the red.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?
I don't know if their "on the right track" yet, but I'm definately looking forward to their games a little more now that they have Heatley and Setoguchi. I still only view the team as a middle dweller at this point, though.

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?
I know they don't play that way anymore, unfortunately I subconciously still think of them that way. I'm really hoping Heatley and Setoguchi change that, though.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Here's how the team looks for the 2011-2012 season at this point:

Pierre-Marc Bouchard - Mikko Koivu - Dany Heatley
Guillaume Latendresse - Kyle Brodziak - Devin Setoguchi
Matt Cullen - Darrol Powe - Cal Clutterbuck
Brad Staubitz - Eric Nystrom - Matt Kassian

Greg Zanon - Marek Zidlicky
Nick Schultz - Mike Lundin
Clayton Stoner - Jared Spurgeon
Marco Scandella

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding
__________________________________________________ _____________________

So again, there's still really not alot about this team that makes me go "wow! I can't wait to watch the Wild play." Sure they have Heatley, and Backstrom is a world-class goalie. But it's still a team that has to win by their system, and I still feel like there's going to be "trapping" going on.

MO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Philoops
Summer Can Distract

I'm going to boo Heatly night in October. 'Nuff said.

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Philoops
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafan519 View Post
I'v always liked the Wild. They have one of the most creative and original logo's and the jerseys are quite nice as....
How are a bunch of trees creative?

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Changing the name would do so, so much for that team. Easily the worst name in the league, with nobody else in the same category.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
How are a bunch of trees creative?
Because it's also shaped like a bear's head.

How's a guy's face creative?

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I have a tremendous amount of bitterness towards Minnesota. Not because of the team itself, or the fans, or the players, or anything like that - it's because they get to be the favored child while the rest of us recent expansion fans get constantly dumped on.

Never mind that pro hockey had been in the state of Ohio for years beforehand. Never mind that the Barons had left about twenty+ years earlier. Never mind that we were screwed over by the WHA days. Nooo, the Blue Jackets are a "southern" team that doesn't deserve hockey, while Minnesota is all right and proper and gets all the deference and respect in the world.

I gotta say Viqsi, I never even took into account a Columbus fans perspective. You guys are our expansion twin brother & I always more thought about how the tenured teams & fanbases look at us as opposed to ever thinking, what does our expansion twin think of us...? I can understand your frustration on that one because honestly, I NEVER expected so many people to come in and post so many positives about us, Im actually kind of blown away.. I expected to get a lot of little "They suck" & "worst name ever" mini posts but alot of people are really giving solid opinions & its made my day & again, Im really surprised & honored that for the most part, even the people with gripes still at least give us a "meh, just another team" comment.. I can handle that.. It's the "just another stupid expansion franchise" kind of comments that I was worried I'd see lots of & I was wrong..

But ya, I guess it can be really annoying if you enter the league at the same time as another team & they get to start with more credibility than you... For whats its worth tho, I never really knew that we even had any credibility until today, 11 years later. haha

Old
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

The Wild and Blue Jackets are among my top teams. Viqsi, unlike many, I know where Columbus is and I am intrigued by both the Jackets and the Wild. Why? Two teams that are new and not high on the radar, but due to the fact they are in great markets, I feel some deep playoff runs can cause both fanbases to go nuts. I think Canadians really got exposed to Nashville's fanbase due to their battle with the Canucks, and I know many were surprised by how much they showed they cared. I think both Minnesota and Columbus can surpass that level and really show the league they are awesome markets.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote