HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do you feel about the Minnesota Wild franchise?

Old
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
How are a bunch of trees creative?
what you see is this:

But the rest you dont see is that we're a bear getting ready to drop a deuce!

And that my friend is why it's creative!

hahahaha

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:12 PM
se7en
infamous...

But on a more serious note, the creativity lies in the fact that mulitiple things can be taken from the image..

It's a picture of the "scenic" wilderness in Minnesota with the North Star in the sky, the moon & the river & trees but it's also creating an image of a bear(or wolfs) head (That is still under debate haha)

But for those who dont know, the eye is the North Star & that is ou little way of acknowledging the North stars & us being the North Star state..

I can understand not liking it but you gotta admit it's at least kind of creative... I mean I rip on my teams look & colors more than most but I can at least acknowledge that the logo is unique & creative considering the name & what we had to work wth...

Old
08-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
How are a bunch of trees creative?
Cause if you looked at it a little closer you would see if forms a bears head. It pales in comparison to a politicians mugshot

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafan519 View Post
Cause if you looked at it a little closer you would see if forms a bears head. It pales in comparison to a politicians mugshot
There's also this version to show the bear:

Old
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Here is a concept I came up with. I personally think they should keep some red, just don't make it the dominant colour. You could easily switch the crest they have now with the bear head too. Someone had some wicked concepts in the create a new jersey thread that were all green though.

Last edited by S2S: 08-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:18 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I mean I rip on my teams look & colors more than most but I can at least acknowledge that the logo is unique & creative considering the name & what we had to work wth...
The logo's good stuff, I just hate the current home design. The logo is really great, and not using it on the home is a mistake IMO. I mean, c'mon:

versus

Round crests.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Leafan519

Quote:
There's also this version to show the bear:

I saw the full image a while back and was surprised it was supposed to be a bear. I always pictured it as being a lynx or some other big cat lol. Do they sell any merchandise or anything with the full bear body on it?

Old
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
se7en
infamous...

Honestly man, the full body of the bear is not official or anything, I think one of our fans just created them a few years back & I saved the pictures.

i dont think that you'll ever see the full bear on anything thats officially merchandised. You're actually correct, the logo, aka head of the animal is meant to be left for debate, as far as I know at least..

I think its supposed to be up to your own interpertation of if its a large cat, wolf or bears head... It was never officially said what the animal is suspposed to be...

I just most often credit it as a bears head just beacause of the above images I posted. Now that Ive seen it with the body its just easiest to picture as a bear BUT if someone were to try a wolf or large cats body & it looked even more convincing then I'd probably start thinking of it as that instead.. I just threw those up for fun because I figured most people would have never seen them...

Old
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
The logo's good stuff, I just hate the current home design. The logo is really great, and not using it on the home is a mistake IMO. I mean, c'mon:

versus

Round crests.
For the most part I agree. I dont hate the round crest but I think ours is best when standing alone... If anything I think the round crest should be used as our shoulder patch on the all green third jersey...

Well that or the state of hockey logo, which would actually be fitting since our third says "Minnesota" across it. So "State of Hockey" would work well as a shoulder patch too. But ya, I think the uncircled logo is best too..

State of hockey logo:

Old
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Leafan519

Quote:
Honestly man, the full body of the bear is not official or anything, I think one of our fans just created them a few years back & I saved the pictures.

i dont think that you'll ever see the full bear on anything thats officially merchandised. You're actually correct, the logo, aka head of the animal is meant to be left for debate, as far as I know at least..

I think its supposed to be up to your own interpertation of if its a large cat, wolf or bears head... It was never officially said what the animal is suspposed to be...

I just most often credit it as a bears head just beacause of the above images I posted. Now that Ive seen it with the body its just easiest to picture as a bear BUT if someone were to try a wolf or large cats body & it looked even more convincing then I'd probably start thinking of it as that instead.. I just threw those up for fun because I figured most people would have never seen them...
I kinda figured that becuase i'v never seen the whole thing on any wild gear before but whoever did that up made it look pretty legit lol. Its a cool concept though having the scene make up the bear/wolf/cats head whatever it may be.

Old
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Palinka

1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?

Filler. "Cheesy" and "expansion" don't enter into the equation. It's a middling hockey team without an identity.

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?

I'll point out that the North Stars suffered from awful attendance for years before moving. In the modern era, where owners are largely diversified in other holdings and have mountains of money to fall back on, it's not as bad. But when there wasn't the same amount of money in the older days, a couple of down seasons could hammer the owner's bottom line into oblivion.

What's been interesting is that the North Stars of 1988-93 had much more of an identity than the Wild ever have, but this team has been much more supported with butts in the seats and gear being bought and seen.

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?

Keep green, keep red. There's nothing worse than homogenization. The Devils were criticized for years for their red/green look, and yet every time it comes up, a bunch of people who weren't alive when they were worn originally talk about how awesome it looks.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?

Minnesota is in need of a complete build. Not a rebuild, since the initial build was never properly done in the first place. Their drafting was largely feeble for a lot of years, and with the exception of Gaborik (gone), Burns (gone), and Koivu (still there), there hasn't been much. Hell, how many chances did James Sheppard get? Josh Harding?

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?

It's boring because the talent is thin, not because of an image or stigma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I have a tremendous amount of bitterness towards Minnesota. Not because of the team itself, or the fans, or the players, or anything like that - it's because they get to be the favored child while the rest of us recent expansion fans get constantly dumped on.

Never mind that pro hockey had been in the state of Ohio for years beforehand. Never mind that the Barons had left about twenty+ years earlier. Never mind that we were screwed over by the WHA days. Nooo, the Blue Jackets are a "southern" team that doesn't deserve hockey, while Minnesota is all right and proper and gets all the deference and respect in the world.

**** you all and the silver spoons you rode in with.
Not even close to 6 AM, and I already need a change of underwear. Thanks for summing up the frustrated side of all native Ohioans.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I have a tremendous amount of bitterness towards Minnesota. Not because of the team itself, or the fans, or the players, or anything like that - it's because they get to be the favored child while the rest of us recent expansion fans get constantly dumped on.

Never mind that pro hockey had been in the state of Ohio for years beforehand. Never mind that the Barons had left about twenty+ years earlier. Never mind that we were screwed over by the WHA days. Nooo, the Blue Jackets are a "southern" team that doesn't deserve hockey, while Minnesota is all right and proper and gets all the deference and respect in the world.

**** you all and the silver spoons you rode in with.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

awesome market, fans and players. they need a gm who will spend

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?

Filler. "Cheesy" and "expansion" don't enter into the equation. It's a middling hockey team without an
identity.

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?

I'll point out that the North Stars suffered from awful attendance for years before moving. In the modern era, where owners are largely diversified in other holdings and have mountains of money to fall back on, it's not as bad. But when there wasn't the same amount of money in the older days, a couple of down seasons
could hammer the owner's bottom
line into oblivion.

What's been interesting is that the North Stars of 1988-93 had more of an identity than the Wild ever have, but this team has been much more supported with butts in the seats and gear being bought and seen.
3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?

Keep green, keep red. There's nothing worse than homogenization. The Devils were criticized for years for their red/green look, and yet every time it comes up, a bunch of people who weren't alive when they were worn originally talk about how awesome it looks.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?
Minnesota is in need of a complete build. Not a rebuild, since the initial build was never properly done in the first place. Their drafting was largely feeble for a lot of years, and with the exception of Gaborik (gone), Burns (gone), and Koivu (still there), there hasn't been much. Hell, how many chances did James Sheppard get? Josh Harding?

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?

It's boring because the talent is
thin, not because of an image or stigma.

Not even close to 6 AM, and I already need a change of underwear. Thanks for summing up the frustrated side of all native Ohioans.

Don't mention the word Rebuild let alone complete rebuild, as Some Wild fans still believe we can make the playoffs and that we retooled this summer.

A complete rebuild would be hard, but you can say that they have already started as they're building around Koivu and they got younger, while adding some prospects.

And I completely forgot that Columbus is our expansion brothers.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
They definitely need some prospects (other than Granlund) and need to sign a top free agent or two down the line. After losing Gaborik I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't literally throw piles of money at hometown boy Zach Parise. He is exactly what they need.
Wait? So guys like Brodin, Zucker, Larsson, Hackett, Coyle, Haula, Phillips, Lucia don't count as prospects???

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
I like them, probably the most likeable franchise in the league.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I wouldn't say I pity them or feel sorry for them, but I really do hope they become contenders again and they get the spotlight on them once. Their North Stars were relocated to Dallas and won cups soon after, absolutely brutal to the fans.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
TOML

Always felt like Lemaire was the face of the franchise.

Part of the reason hockey stunk before the lockout. Talentless trapping crappola.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:16 PM
ricky0034

just filler,but games against Minnesota bore me,there's just something about them

hopefully it's different this year with the changes they made who knows

a bit yeah

I like them other than there being a circle around the logo on the red ones

I kind of have a wait and see attitude towards this but it's nice to see them trying at least

still boring but hopefully that will change this year

Wings fan

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:17 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Stars/Rangers fan here.

I view you guys as an essential team, since the fanbase up there is so dedicated. I dont necessarily look forward to playing you, but I don't mind it either.

I do. I have a lot of family in Minnesota who is wild about hockey, though moreso high school and college. I know the fans up there are just waiting for a good product.

I love the Red and Green.

Fletcher seems like any GM trying to salvage something out of nothing. I think your guys prospect pool is good but you're going to be on the bubble with the rest of us in the West.

I never thought you guys trapped under Richards, but think you're kinda boring just because of few exciting players.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:27 PM
vayeate
OZ-13MSX1

Detroit.

vayeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:34 PM
SaintAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
awesome market, fans and players. they need a gm who will spend
Ha they were up against the cap all last year and finally had some expiring old contracts to give them a little space so they actually have an option to make a move now, which will probably occur next July.

SaintAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:05 AM
HatchtrickBateman

Stars fan since i started playing hockey(right around the time they moved to dallas).

I don't mind the wild, though i know their fans hate the stars or so it seems. Like others have said, always kind of a middle tier team to me. I really like the logo. The jerseys, while good looking, seem a little too "nice" to me if that makes sense. I really respect the fans. I'd be torn if the Stars left Dallas, unless they came to KC(only so i could see them play more than once a year), kept the name, etc.

HatchtrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:14 AM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor

The only teams I see as filler are those that are pretty much ignored in their own cities. Florida, Phoenix, Atlanta, basically. Which isn't to say I don't respect the fans, but the franchises are wasted for me.

Over those that are pretty much irrelevant in their markets, yes. Nashville is embracing their team just as you guys are so there's equal respect from me.

And yeah, you shouldn't have lost the North Stars. Sucks that you have to wait for the Wild to develop a history again.

Good logo, and I like both the home & thirds, though I'm not so much a fan of the aways (and previous homes of a similar style). I like the fact you have colours that are something different & use colours that allude to the North Stars, too.

But yeah the name blows hard.

I have no issue with defensive systems etc, and while I haven't watched a lot of Wild hockey I wouldn't say it bores me. I do think the organisation has really struggled to find the right formula though. This offseason gives me hope for you guys - as much as Heatley is disliked, I like the fact that you're aggresively trying to find that right formula.

not a trapdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:16 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

My 2nd favourite team

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote