HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Roman Josi likely to make the big team this year ?

Old
08-04-2011, 02:37 PM
torero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I think that will be the diciding factor. Lambert has seen him for a whole season, and has said he wouldn't be in the AHL for long. From what I've read, he is the best skater of the 3, maybe even of all defensemen within the organization....

I'm actually encouraged by this. The ability to get a shot on net is sometimes underated. He could end up being an assist machine through rebounds and tipped shots.

I think he found his game somewhere around the 35 game mark. I read an article on him about how well he had been playing, despite having only 1 goal....right after that, he scored in 3 straight, followed by an impressive point-streak as well. 13 games I think...best run by an ahl d-man in a few years I believe

*of note - had his team's worst +/- during regular season, but he was a +player in the playoffs.
I also hope he will get his shoot back ... then he will become a really appreciated player. It was, to me at least, one of the strong points he had : the snipe !

Whatever, it will be allll good for the Predators.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
the Preds currently have 3 slots open (with Bouillon still in recovery)

Assuming Bouillon isn't good to go there's big chance

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
predfan98

No. 2 spots. Blum is 4

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

No. Three spots. Weber will be traded before camp

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
After completing the Lebda buyout tomorrow, I could see us adding a veteran defenseman on the cheap to mentor and protect the third pairing and PK. I'm not hopeful, but could see it happening...

Scott Hannan would be my pick of the current lot. If it happened though, I think Ekholm would likely be sent back to Sweden for the year to play in the SEL unless he won the No. 6 spot out of camp...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Is Ekholm too young for Milwaukee?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Is Ekholm too young for Milwaukee?
He's not too young he just has an out clause that allows him to play in Sweden if he doesn't make the Preds, so that would likely give him the edge if it's close.

Still think Josi makes it if Cube can't play. I think Laakso is the 7th DMan regardless and if Cube can play then it's between Josi and Ekholm. If it's close I think Ekholm gets it.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

So does Ekholm have the ability for a 9 game tryout like players that go back to juniors?

I dont quite understand his clause

Edit: Just read up on him. nvm

Last edited by I Will Son: 08-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.
I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
So does Ekholm have the ability for a 9 game tryout like players that go back to juniors?

I dont quite understand his clause
No, Ekholm was not drafted out of the CHL so there are no junior clause restrictions.

Ekholm was rookie of the year last season in Sweden and would see big minutes with a big team in the Elite League if he returned. The Preds believe he's ready to compete for an NHL roster spot, so they convinced him to come to North America this season by giving him a clause in his contract that allows him to return to his SEL team for the remainder of the season if he doesn't make the Nashville roster.

The SEL is considered to be better competition than the AHL and there is national pride at stake too. Simply, Ekholm would rather not spend a full season in Milwaukee riding the bus if he isn't close to making the NHL squad this season.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, Ekholm was not drafted out of the CHL so there are no junior clause restrictions.

Ekholm was rookie of the year last season in Sweden and would see big minutes with a big team in the Elite League if he returned. The Preds believe he's ready to compete for an NHL roster spot, so they convinced him to come to North America this season by giving him a clause in his contract that allows him to return to his SEL team for the remainder of the season if he doesn't make the Nashville roster.

The SEL is considered to be better competition than the AHL and there is national pride at stake too. Simply, Ekholm would rather not spend a full season in Milwaukee riding the bus if he isn't close to making the NHL squad this season.
Ok thanks for that. That helps as well. I personally hope he makes the roster, we could use another big body like his. Is he physical?

Old
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Ok thanks for that. That helps as well. I personally hope he makes the roster, we could use another big body like his. Is he physical?
He's not Shea Weber, but then again...who is? Ekholm is known to play a physical game and also know when to step up and when to lay back as to not pull himself out of position.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
He's not Shea Weber, but then again...who is? Ekholm is known to play a physical game and also know when to step up and when to lay back as to not pull himself out of position.
haha exactly there is not another Shea. But thats a trait I think is needed on this team. Not in dire need of it, but we could use it. Since he has been playing with adults in the arguably the 2nd toughest league I have a feeling he could fit right in. Then again other areas of his game might need grooming. Everything im hearing about this kid is just awesome. Sounds like he could be the steal of the draft, as was Weber.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
haha exactly there is not another Shea. But thats a trait I think is needed on this team. Not in dire need of it, but we could use it. Since he has been playing with adults in the arguably the 2nd toughest league I have a feeling he could fit right in. Then again other areas of his game might need grooming. Everything im hearing about this kid is just awesome. Sounds like he could be the steal of the draft, as was Weber.
Personally, I'd like to see Scott Hannan brought in to provide that veteran stay-at-home element to the team, but doing so I believe would likely send Ekholm back to Sweden for the year. I'm not necessarily sure that wouldn't be a bad thing though either...

As many are aware, I've been high on Ekholm for quite a while now. I think he'll turn out to be a legit NHL defenseman and honestly stands a chance at being the best of our prospects when all is said and done.

Old
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see Scott Hannan brought in to provide that veteran stay-at-home element to the team, but doing so I believe would likely send Ekholm back to Sweden for the year. I'm not necessarily sure that wouldn't be a bad thing though either...

As many are aware, I've been high on Ekholm for quite a while now. I think he'll turn out to be a legit NHL defenseman and honestly stands a chance at being the best of our prospects when all is said and done.
A year of Scott Hannan actually sounds like a good idea. We really dont have a older VET outside Bouillion but i dont think he will be playing, at least start of year. Some ppl may not like that and want to see the kids on pair 3. But neither of Josi/Ekholm/Ellis have played a shift in the NHL.

Another year of him certainly would not be a bad thing. I remember you saying a while back during the year that Ekholm was playing like the most improved prospect. I didnt take it into account at the time but boy has he raised his ceiling. Im starting to lean on him more than Ellis, not so much Josi yet. I still think Josi could be the best he just needs to show he can stay healthy. Were so spoiled by dmen, wish i could say the same bout forwards.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Hossa

Quote:
I've been following Ekholm for a few seasons now and really think you guys have a top prospect on your hands. He definitely is a big body, legitimately 6'3" to 6'4", but he's not an overly physical player. I'd say he's more of the typical European 'technical' defender who uses positioning, an active stick and good hockey sense instead of physicality. At that size, he certainly could add more strength, but he'll still never be a bruising player, which is fine. Kind of a Paul Martin or Toni Lydman with more height and a longer stick.

I think he'll be able to play in the NHL based on his defensive game, but the key is how much offence he provides. He really was not expected to develop this much of an offensive game as a prospect, because he doesn't have any particular stand-out skill offensively, but he does think the game very well and makes smart plays in the offensive zone. There's a big difference though between being able to play the second PP unit and contribute 25-30 points a year (like Lydman or Martin) and a guy like Nik Grossman who is pretty one-dimensional.

Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Kitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
So with all due respect ... we found a clear point of disagreement.

Yet Germany isn't on the same level than the others !!
(other = Sweden, Finland, Russia and Switzerland) as said ... Germany is moving into the right direction.
But you said that you saw all leagues ... so, i guess we disagree fundamentally.

So ist das leben ! ;-)
Regs

I still hope that Josi will bring more added value than what you are expecing him to bring.

(by the way ... funily i think i already saw this type of discussion on hfboards ... ;-) )
I think it is worth stating that many commentators consider the KHL about the equivalent of the AHL in terms of talent. Whether that is North American basis or not is debatable. There may be more high end talent in the KHL but far more depth in the AHL.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:04 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
There may be more high end talent in the KHL but far more depth in the AHL.
Now that is laughable. I'd even put the SEL ahead of the AHL. AHL is on par with the SM-Liiga maybe.
Russia produces as many depth players as America, I don't see a difference there.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:02 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
No. 2 spots. Blum is 4
Weber Suter Blum and Klein will be on the roster. If Bouillon is still injured that leaves 5,6 and 7 open. with Hillen signed we now have 6 guys competing for 3 slots. Sloan is a depth signing incase of injuries (although the same may be set of Hillen) out of the group (on the rosters and in contention) only Boullion is over 30 and he may most likely be gone next summer - the younger guys appear to be ready to assume more leadership (unless we lose Suter and Weber which i doubt would happen.)

so like I said 3 spots including the 7th man

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
and.... once again hit by the injury bug

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:07 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Per Josh Cooper Josi is on injured reserve to Ads.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:23 AM
TheZec

I feel bad for the guy! He takes on injuries always at the worst time! Twice at training camp - where he could have made the team - and before the olympics... talk about terrible luck!

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I feel bad for the guy! He takes on injuries always at the worst time! Twice at training camp - where he could have made the team - and before the olympics... talk about terrible luck!
At some point it stops being bad luck and starts being an undeniable history.

(Note that this is coming from someone who was a big fan of Pascal Leclaire. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
At some point it stops being bad luck and starts being an undeniable history.

(Note that this is coming from someone who was a big fan of Pascal Leclaire. )
Something we can agree on, Romi "don't call me glass" josi

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote