HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lebda put on waivers by Nashville

Old
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
The point of the post is that Lebda has been dogged and laughed at by Leafs fans ever since he has been with Toronto, but despite the fact that he is an average NHL player his name is on the cup and a ring sits on his finger...something that no one associated with the Leafs can say for like 50 years.
Lebda wasn't an instrumental part of Detroit winning the cup. Nor was he a big factor in any way, plenty of crap players have won a cup because of the team their on. Lebda is a below average NHL player by far and if you don't believe so you need to book an appointment with optometrist soon times

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
The point of the post is that Lebda has been dogged and laughed at by Leafs fans ever since he has been with Toronto, but despite the fact that he is an average NHL player his name is on the cup and a ring sits on his finger...something that no one associated with the Leafs can say for like 50 years.
Are you saying nobody has won a cup, then played for the Leafs, other than Lebda?

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
We've had plenty of players with cup rings on the team. Lebda is far and away the worst of them.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Quote:
Really? So like Belfour. Niewendyk and those guys werent associated with the Leafs? And I wouldnt talk, the Red Wings are getting extremely old and not looking any better, you might just choke on your words.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Then it will work out. I have no doubt that Franson is a better player than Lebda. No one disputes that. I have seen some--not all--Leafs fans that have some unrealistic expectations for Franson, and when any Nashville fan tries to give a true scouting report, we get accused of being "bitter.". See roeper, roger. The fact of the matter is this: Franson has an unreal snapshot, a pretty good first pass, and generally makes good choices when in position. That's the good. The bad is that he has the same slow, lumbering stride as Hal Gill, and also has a tendency to pinch at bad times. If he's not on the ice with both a quick, defensive minded d-man and a fast center, the opposition is assured of an odd man rush if he's out simply by chipping up the boards. Ultimately, he does more good than bad--it's why he's in the NHL--but Nashville did shelter him. Cody himself complains that he didn't get to pal more ES or PK minutes-- it's because he can be, CAN be a liability. His best usage is as a third pair ES guy, and as the triggerman on the second PP unit. His passing is pretty good, but his vision and creativity aren't great enough to play first pair PP, and he's not what you'd typically call a PP "quarterback"

Also, and this has been beaten into the ground-- he leaves you wanting more in terms of physicality. He will occasionally show you the type of hit he is capable of, but not nearly enough. That's a bit of a double edged sword, though. You want him to hit more, but you have to be absolutely certain that it's the right thing to do and the right time, because if it isn't, he's out of position wit little hope of getting back.

But anyway, this thread has gotten sidetracked. Lebda sucks, Preds fans know it and Poiles lack of recognition that he's even our property pretty much told us that he wasn't in the plans. As was mentioned, the unspoken asset that Nashville got back was money. Theyve expressed desire to add another top six fwd to the mix. Even if Lombardi comes back, he's basically a lesser version of Legwand and Fisher, so the Preds could use the money on someone tha fits the offensive need better, likel via trade. Franson is a nice young player, but the presence and NHL-readiness of prospects like Roman Josi, Mattias Ekholm, an
d Ryan Ellis--as well as the emergence of Jon Blum--ultimately made such a move possible and not all that painful.
Good post. I for one did think lebda would be a #6,#7 defenseman for nashville and not look half bad because of the excellent coaching and system your team plays. I watched all the games nashville played in the playoffs and franson didn't necessarily stand out to me which may be a good thing. Obviously I understand the idea that franson was 'protected' playing behind weber and suter but he still did play top 4 minutes didn't he? And was a plus player? I'm not going to have to high expectations for him but I hope he at least plays at the level he was playing in nashville and doesn't turn into komisarek/beauchemin

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:43 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaKessel View Post
Good post. I for one did think lebda would be a #6,#7 defenseman for nashville and not look half bad because of the excellent coaching and system your team plays. I watched all the games nashville played in the playoffs and franson didn't necessarily stand out to me which may be a good thing. Obviously I understand the idea that franson was 'protected' playing behind weber and suter but he still did play top 4 minutes didn't he? And was a plus player? I'm not going to have to high expectations for him but I hope he at least plays at the level he was playing in nashville and doesn't turn into komisarek/beauchemin
Franson continued to play bottom pairing minutes. The only reason Franson and SOB averaged more than, say, 13 minutes of ice time is because the former played PP time and the latter played the PK. Blum and Klein ate up the rest of the top four minutes.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Look at zone starts, quality of opponent, etc...or just watch him in every game he's played in the NHL. You'll see the same thing...
He isn't close to being the most sheltered NHL defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
2 months till you see why firsthand
He's replacing Lebda...

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Was Lebda not "associated" with the Leafs last year?

FYI, 1967 was 44 years ago, not 50.

But seriously, stop talkin like you've won the cup.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He isn't close to being the most sheltered NHL defenseman.
Probably not the #1 most, but he was definitely one of the most.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:26 AM
gcdc14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheLeafsFan View Post
Really? So like Belfour. Niewendyk and those guys werent associated with the Leafs? And I wouldnt talk, the Red Wings are getting extremely old and not looking any better, you might just choke on your words.
As a Red Wings fan for about 20 years, I would have no problem with them losing for the next 40. The years that the Red Wings organization gave us fans were amazing, and continue to be so today. With that said, I do not see any reason or indication that they cannot continue their success.

gcdc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
Not that I think Lebda would be a good pickup for the Hawks, but it would be nice to have a Chicagoan on the roster. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't had one since Craig Anderson...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Danny Richmond.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Lebad just became Lebda.
Unfortunately it wasn't a permanent change and he went back to Lebad and even to Leterrible.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Cleared (no ****) per Dreger.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
81Leafs50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
that goal is all Mike Brown in front of the net.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Danny Richmond.
touché

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
StuckOutHere

Last year the leafs scored 9 and lebda was a minus three that game... It is really hard to be that bad

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck out here View Post
Last year the leafs scored 9 and lebda was a minus three that game... It is really hard to be that bad
Not that it makes it look that much better, but the Leafs scored 5 of those 9 on the PP (where +/- doesn't get assigned for goals scored anyways). But Lebda was on the ice for each of Atlanta's three goals. Six of Toronto's 18 dressed skaters were actually minus in that game and another four were even.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Lebda's not on the Predators roster anymore. Any confirmation he's been sent to the Admirals for the season?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
i dont get why ppl think it looks that bad... it was frason for basically 6 millish think of it as a cash trade bc thats what it was..
Yeah, well the league outlawed cash as part of trades several years ago, so this waiving on Lebda just proves that this was purely a financial and a non-hockey transaction. Both the League and the Preds look like a joke in this deal, and the NHL should have blocked this trade if they had any integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Exactly. Money is more important to our franchise than Franson. We got better Fransons in the pipeline.
This is nonsense. The Preds are still looking to be a team that's close to the floor so are they really going to spend all that money they're saving on retaining their best players at or near market value?

As deep as they are on defense, they can't afford to give away quality young defensemen and get ZERO in return, when they so badly need depth at forward to make them a legit contender.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Yeah, well the league outlawed cash as part of trades several years ago, so this waiving on Lebda just proves that this was purely a financial and a non-hockey transaction. Both the League and the Preds look like a joke in this deal, and the NHL should have blocked this trade if they had any integrity.

This is nonsense. The Preds are still looking to be a team that's close to the floor so are they really going to spend all that money they're saving on retaining their best players at or near market value?

As deep as they are on defense, they can't afford to give away quality young defensemen and get ZERO in return, when they so badly need depth at forward to make them a legit contender.
We're still like, 5 million below budget, and Poile continually says he's looking for a top six forward. Now, unless you irrationally feel he's lying, the trade is still worth it. If losing Franson means we get to apply money that was being spent on a guy that "may" come back this season toward filling the glaring hole in our top six, then I'm all for it. And who cares what you think about it? Not me, not Poile, not anyone outside of jmelm and maybe jmelm's little brother.

Rivet--word is still that Lebda has been bought or is being bought out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Lebda's not on the Predators roster anymore. Any confirmation he's been sent to the Admirals for the season?
He was put on unconditional waivers, not regular waivers.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:05 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
We're still like, 5 million below budget, and Poile continually says he's looking for a top six forward. Now, unless you irrationally feel he's lying, the trade is still worth it. If losing Franson means we get to apply money that was being spent on a guy that "may" come back this season toward filling the glaring hole in our top six, then I'm all for it. And who cares what you think about it? Not me, not Poile, not anyone outside of jmelm and maybe jmelm's little brother.
You can rationalize it however you want. But:

A) The NHL should not allow a trade that is tantamount to selling/buying a player for cash with no tangible hockey assets coming back. They outlawed cash being part of trades a long time ago, but this was basically an all-cash transaction. This issue still applies regardless of what NHL teams were involved in that type of trade -- so don't take it so personally & defensively.

B) The only time it makes sense to "dump" a player is if you're getting cap space back that allows you sign another player with that cap space. Budget space is different than cap space. Saying you've traded away a promising & valuable young player and getting nothing in return except "budget space" when you're going to be a floor team doesn't send a committment to winning message to NSH fans or the free agents they wish to attract or retain. It spells cheap-ass ownders.

If you think Poile, NSH players or non-delusional NSH fans don't care about that, you're just flat out wrong.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:

Rivet--word is still that Lebda has been bought or is being bought out.

I'd like to hear directly from jmelm's little brother on this topic.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
You can rationalize it however you want. But:

A) The NHL should not allow a trade that is tantamount to selling/buying a player for cash with no tangible hockey assets coming back. They outlawed cash being part of trades a long time ago, but this was basically an all-cash transaction. This issue still applies regardless of what NHL teams were involved in that type of trade -- so don't take it so personally & defensively.

B) The only time it makes sense to "dump" a player is if you're getting cap space back that allows you sign another player with that cap space. Budget space is different than cap space. Saying you've traded away a promising & valuable young player and getting nothing in return except "budget space" when you're going to be a floor team doesn't send a committment to winning message to NSH fans or the free agents they wish to attract or retain. It spells cheap-ass ownders.

If you think Poile, NSH players or non-delusional NSH fans don't care about that, you're just flat out wrong.
Do you have any sort of confirmation that indeed Poile IS lying, and that we will be a floor team for the year, thus Lombardi's salary just going back in the owner's pockets? I'd love to read it. I mean, here I am, a season ticket holder, die hard fan, and someone who follows the team at all levels on a daily basis--and here you are, an angry young man with some sort of clear agenda, an outsider who follows the Predators only enough to make snarky fly-bys on message boards --yet, you've scooped me! It's clear that even though our payroll LAST season was four million higher than it was right now, you're privy to some sort of inside information, something that feeds this immense fountain of hockey genius, so...what is it? Please, pull the wool from our eyes.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
stallion19
DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
What happened to him being a serviceable Detroit defenseman.

I think the Red Wings are in for a bit of a shock when Lidstrom retires.
Detroit fans were just as happy to see him go as Leaf fans. He was probably overrated because of the guys he played with but most of us never considered him "serviceable".

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote