HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Paajarvi

Old
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
Kinda like a Kesler to Sedin type of thing?
Hossa vs Kane would work as well (both are wingers)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
LOL@who is number one.
Milan Hejduk?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Eirhead*

I think Paajarvi could make a good center if they wanted to develop him that way.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Philly85
Moody'

i still don't know what to think of MPS. Obviously the talent and skill is there, he's got a decent head on his shoulders. I think he lacks the truly high end offensive creativity to become a big time scorer in the NHL... he reminds me of Hemsky in so many ways, great wheels, slight frame although he is a bit taller, but he just doesn't have the greatest hockey sense. I saw the play die on his stick several times last season, and I truly believed he should've started the season in the A. He progressively got better as time wore on though and I was very impressed by the complete game he was playing by the end of the year.

Overall I thought he was sheltered a bit and used sparingly by the coaching staff but saw that they grew to trust him more, especially once he got to play with Omark and the two developed chemistry. Then he seemed to come into his own... and of course the coaching staff HAD to play him, they didn't have a choice because of all the injuries. His shot isn't as bad as some think it is, but it's not elite or anything. Good enough to score goals, and he's got decent vision, he's a pass first player for sure.

I think it all comes down to hockey sense again, and that his lack of it will prevent him from ever becoming an upper echelon player, bvut one who always appears to be on the cusp, much like Hemsky. The thing I do like about him though is his willingness to be defensively responsible, strip players of pucks, he wants the puck and wants to make the right play. Who knows if he ever puts it all together, I somehow doubt it, but if he ever realized his peak potential I think he could be a 30 goal, 70-80 point player.

I think more realistic though is he'll be the staple, 2nd line LW'er who chips in 20-25 goals a year and around 50-60 points.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
I think Paajarvi could make a good center if they wanted to develop him that way.
I've wondered the same thing myself a few times. It would be worth a shot to try him at centre.

To be honest...its a bit silly to run Hall as a centre for any length of time and NOT give Magnus the same experiement. There is nothing saying Magnus couldn't be as good or better as a centre.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:37 PM
jmoss45

I really don't see the point in trying MPS at centre. Hall was tried there because he played some C during junior, and lots in the middle before that. Theres no indication MPS has ever played C so having him try to learn in the best league in the world doesn't seem very smart. Some positional changes have worked out well (Dusty Buff comes to mind) but overall I don't think its a great plan.

Paajarvi does a lot of things well, but I don't think he has the elite shot/scoring touch to be a great first line player. He is well rounded and does show some elite level skills (speed, size, defensive awareness) so IMO he's the perfect 2nd liner at this point.

Comparisons to Hossa/Hemsky fit somewhat but Pajaarvi doesn't have the elite level puck skills. Both of those guys have great shots, great creativity and great passing skills.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I really don't see the point in trying MPS at centre. Hall was tried there because he played some C during junior, and lots in the middle before that. Theres no indication MPS has ever played C so having him try to learn in the best league in the world doesn't seem very smart. Some positional changes have worked out well (Dusty Buff comes to mind) but overall I don't think its a great plan.

Paajarvi does a lot of things well, but I don't think he has the elite shot/scoring touch to be a great first line player. He is well rounded and does show some elite level skills (speed, size, defensive awareness) so IMO he's the perfect 2nd liner at this point.

Comparisons to Hossa/Hemsky fit somewhat but Pajaarvi doesn't have the elite level puck skills. Both of those guys have great shots, great creativity and great passing skills.
Its not like going from centre <> wing requires a surgical procedure. Learning to take faceoffs is (by far) the biggest challenge and thats something he can work on in practice. Matter of fact....even if he is a winger...he should (IMO) be groomed in faceoff technique(s).

The rest of it....well...I can make an argument the other apsects of centre are easier than ANY of the most important aspects of playing wing (at least as far as 'learning' goes).

And I see more of a natural centre tendency in Magnus than I do Hall. Hall goes on straight lines....which is a dead giveaway that he is more comfortable on the wing. Magnus makes some lateral and he seems to read the game a little further ahead than Hall...(another trait of a centre).

Anyways...the truth is....ALL our wingers should be given SOME instruction on playing centre and among the exisitng group...Hall and Magnus offer the MOST benefit back on the team if they can play centre....at least periodically.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Eirhead*

Well, I've played QB in football, and I was pretty good. But I lacked genetics - I'm 5'6". And when you can't see over top of your front line, it's difficult to watch the play develop.

Magnus who seems rather cool and calm at 6'3" with world class speed, could be coached into world class NHL center eh??

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:57 AM
KClovesGaming

With all the injuries to the team last year, he really stepped it up towards the end of the season. He was basically the go to guy and did everything. You could really see his confidence go up and you saw it in his play as well. After that experience, he now knows he can play in the league.

Don't sell this kid short. He is going to be a very good player this season. In fact, assuming he gets some good ice time and plays a lot once again, I guarantee people will be saying a lot of good things.

Book it.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote