HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going to root for the leaf

View Poll Results: Q for HF Habs fans: Toronto versus Boston game, who do you want to win?
Toronto 70 50.36%
Boston 23 16.55%
Can't choose 46 33.09%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Hey guys, not here to cause trouble.

As far as this opinion I would say it is to early to tell if we won or lost that trade. Seguin needs to show what Kessel has, Knight needs to break the roster and Hamilton from what I have been hearing needs quite a bit of time to grow into what he is pegged to be.

For argument sake lets say the leafs kept the picks and we had Seguin. There would be no guarantee that we would have drafted Knight and Hamilton like Boston did. Boston is in a completely different area than we are. We needed a player that could be a game breaker and Kessel was that guy. So far he has been everything we where told he could be.

As far as Burke goes some like him some hate him, really all in how you view growth and the steps that it takes to build a franchise that was filled with AHL talent when he took over. With the Boston trade he chose to over pay for kessel ( with picks not knowing who they would be ) we did not have anything on our roster Boston wanted/needed or that we were willing to give up. I believe because Burke chose to go the route he did with the over payment it opened the door for the Kaberle trade and the return we had for him.

Because of that Kaberle trade we now have Colborne,Liles and Biggs. So to say who has won the trade now would not be possible, we will have to give it at least until seguin regularly plays 82 games a season or close to it.
IMO Kessel is a high skills player without any charactere.. A Dany Heatley type of player.. You will never win with that guy leading your offense.. The Leafs have really become the laughing stock of the league IMO.. You guys are at the point we were 10 years ago.. In the **** for a long time..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM
AntonCH

Can't root for the bruins or the leafs
EVER
Next question

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
rUmX

I chose "Can't choose" because really, I can't. There should be a 4th option, a la "I couldn't care less"...

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Bob Cole

The Laffs have been so pathetic I dont really care for them anymore. 1 playoff matchup, and the rivalry will be back. But right now, I dont really hate them.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I beg to differ..........

I've lived in the GTA for 32 years and mullet nation is everywhere. You will find many fans of other teams but we are definitely outnumbered.
We're definatelt outnumbered but still have a ton of support. Way more then leafs have in montreal.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I definitely hate the Bruins a thousand times more than the Leafs. Perhaps because the leafs haven't exactly been relevent for a while? Regardless, I think it's how you word it. I cheer for Boston to lose no matter who they're playing.

Where I really get torn is when the Yanks and Red Sox play each other, as they are right now. I despise both teams. I think I hate the Yankees less, but still, I'm rooting for some sort of natural disaster...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
icerocket

Rooting for any other team that isn't the Habs under any circumstances is WRONG.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Subnordi

I would definatley root for the Habs

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It all depends on circumstances. Montreal will likely be battling boston atop the division so this year, its probably beneficial to see the leafs win.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 08-07-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:11 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
I never said I would not take them on my team if we had drafted them. I said it is to early to tell who won the trade, it is all opinion. Besides potential it is based on nothing right now, all three need to develop before I will make a judgment call. Knight may be ready but will he crack the roster and Hamilton would have eventually looked good beside Schenn, but there was no guarantee he was the one we would have picked.

I am not the type to make a choice right away when I don't have a clue of what will happen in the next couple of years. I think in two years we will have the answer.
1- Toronto wasnt a Kessel away from making the playoffs

2- Seguin,Knight & Hamilton ? u got 3 great young prospects to build ur team around for years to come

3-and without that trade and kessel on the team ur picks would of been even better

if ur a team like the pens or caps with tons of young elite players then ya MAYBE but ur GM of a team who hasnt made playoffs in years and with a AHL roster u should be focusing on ur draft picks and rebuilding ur team not trading them all away

just my 2cents and yes Chiarelli will be laughing about this trade for years but hey every GM makes mistakes right ?

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:14 AM
haburger

as much as i hate to admit it,,the leafs are close to turning the corner.damn our div is gonna be tight.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Habs

I personally would only be rooting for injuries, when these two disgusting clubs play each other. Years ago they would revoke your membership here, and ban you, for even suggesting rooting for either of these two enemies.

Blasphemy.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Recently moved to Toronto Canada. Expect there will be times, in a bar or with friends, when they'll be a leaf game on TV, etc., and after some thought I realized that I will probably cheer for the leaf only under the following circumstances:

1) leaf are playing against boston.
2) leaf are playing a team ahead of the Habs in the standings.

Actually not 100% sure about (2) before the playoff race shapes up, but fairly convinced about (1) as a season-long policy.

It is a bit strange to imagine cheering for the leaf, but my dislike for them has been eclipsed by a barf-in-the-mouth hatred for the broon.

Q for HF Habs fans: Toronto versus Boston game, who do you want to win?
Tronna, mostly because I'm from the city, and my hatred for the team is mixed with pity and the fact that I like some of their fans.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Rooting for any other team that isn't the Habs under any circumstances is WRONG.
This!

I don't hate or feel sorry for the Laffs or ANY other team in the league, my heart and soul belong to the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge and they are the only club that matters to me!

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:59 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Hey guys, not here to cause trouble.

As far as this opinion I would say it is to early to tell if we won or lost that trade. Seguin needs to show what Kessel has, Knight needs to break the roster and Hamilton from what I have been hearing needs quite a bit of time to grow into what he is pegged to be.

For argument sake lets say the leafs kept the picks and we had Seguin. There would be no guarantee that we would have drafted Knight and Hamilton like Boston did. Boston is in a completely different area than we are. We needed a player that could be a game breaker and Kessel was that guy. So far he has been everything we where told he could be.

As far as Burke goes some like him some hate him, really all in how you view growth and the steps that it takes to build a franchise that was filled with AHL talent when he took over. With the Boston trade he chose to over pay for kessel ( with picks not knowing who they would be ) we did not have anything on our roster Boston wanted/needed or that we were willing to give up. I believe because Burke chose to go the route he did with the over payment it opened the door for the Kaberle trade and the return we had for him.

Because of that Kaberle trade we now have Colborne,Liles and Biggs. So to say who has won the trade now would not be possible, we will have to give it at least until seguin regularly plays 82 games a season or close to it.
If you recall there was a trade on the table before Kadri was picked (Kessel for Kaberle and the 1st that was used to pick Kadri). Burke walked away because there had been some confusion as to who was supposed to be offering up the supplemental 1st. Had Burke made that trade the leafs would have likely finished last that season and Taylor Hall would be a leaf now, in addition to Kessel. Kadri wouldnt be in the wings, but whoever the leafs had gone with for their 1st and 2nd this past draft would be.

After turning down the Kessel for Kabby + 1st (Kadri) Burke proceeded to trade two 1st and a 2nd for Kessel, pretty much for Kadri and another year of Kabby.

IMO this was complete lunacy for a team in rebuild mode. Trade away your valuable vets for young talent and picks, tank for a couple years and your 1st will all be worth it.

Edmonton and Boston are both enjoying the idiocy of Burke.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

dont care about either team, wouldnt watch the game, wouldnt watch the score afterwards either...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Ford Prefect

This is the way it is. I am a transplant as well, and let me tell you that moving out here really polarizes your opinion of the Leafs. The way these douches blindly support what is a god-awful franchise, think that everyone and their mothers are willing to play for this decrepit team, the way that they refer to themselves as a 'nation'. Put it this way, I would sooner vote to get kicked in the nuts than to support this collection of retards.

And when a game is on that I am forced to watch, I cheer for someone to leave injured. That's pretty much it. I don't care about the score

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thanks goodness for option C, as there is no way in hell I could pick between the two.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't really "cheer for" (or root for or in any way visibly support) any other team except the Habs in any other NHL game (unless the ramifications on the Habs are direct). That said, I would usually prefer if one team won over the other, for a variety of reasons (mostly related to FHL results). I would generally prefer if the Leafs beat the Bruins. The Leafs are "mostly harmless" and the Bruins are our biggest rival. But it's hard to call that "cheering for the Leafs", exactly.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:00 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really "cheer for" (or root for or in any way visibly support) any other team except the Habs in any other NHL game (unless the ramifications on the Habs are direct). That said, I would usually prefer if one team won over the other, for a variety of reasons (mostly related to FHL results). I would generally prefer if the Leafs beat the Bruins. The Leafs are "mostly harmless" and the Bruins are our biggest rival. But it's hard to call that "cheering for the Leafs", exactly.
This is basically how I feel. It's not so much cheering for the Leafs as cheering for the failure of the Bruins. That that has to involve a Leafs victory is unfortunate, but an acceptable outcome. Unless Boston winning actually helps our mathematical situation, in which case I can handle it.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:22 AM
neofury*

You have to understand that I grew up in the era where the leafs have sucked more than we have even in our dark days. I remember them having a good team here or there but most of the time they've been awful. Pretty hard to consider them a rival when they never make the playoffs.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
HabsUnited

I hate the Bruins, but enjoy the city of Boston. Toronto, on the other hand, I hate EVERYTHING about. Easy choice.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You have to understand that I grew up in the era where the leafs have sucked more than we have even in our dark days. I remember them having a good team here or there but most of the time they've been awful. Pretty hard to consider them a rival when they never make the playoffs.

Because the Leafs of the 90s, and early 2000s were pretty good, right around the time the Habs were stinking it up. Hockey is a cyclical sport. The Leafs will be good again soon, while the Habs are already starting to fall off.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
At least the Bruins fans can back up their smack talk by actually having a really good team on the ice. Leaf fans talk like their team is a perennial Stanley Cup contender every year until the day they're (yet again) mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. And then they start talking about how the pro-rated stats from a 20-game stretch prove they'll be a great team next year. Rinse and repeat.

Anyway as others have said, in a Toronto vs. Boston game, I just cheer for whoever helps us out more in the standings. Taking the standings completely out of the picture, I'd probably want the Leafs to win, just because it's always embarassing when you lose to the Leafs

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Because the Leafs of the 90s, and early 2000s were pretty good, right around the time the Habs were stinking it up. Hockey is a cyclical sport. The Leafs will be good again soon, while the Habs are already starting to fall off.
I disagree. One of their only real quality years was 93 when we won the cup. I wasn't referring to only the last 5 years trust me. Since I was a kid aside from 93 they've been pretty much on and off crap.

Even the two seasons before that they didn't even make the playoffs, and the seasons post 93:

Two first round exits followed by:
Two non-qualifying
Then you are right actually, for six straight years between 98-04 they were 1st or 2nd in the division barring one time they were 3rd, all of which they made the post season and went relatively deep. Still no actual finals appearances though. Point is though I still don't remember those teams being particularly dominant to the point where they were true contenders. Of course being a habs fan I'm probably remembering it with a little bias

That having been said though post lockout 6 straight years of no playoffs without a #1 overall pick to show for it. The two main things I disagree with:

1) That we're on the decline. Disagree
2) That because it's a cycle leafs will be up top soon.

When was the last time Detroit fell off? When was the last time the Panthers or Islanders hit their cycle? The cycle you're referring to is supposed to last max a decade and isn't really always the case. As you can see plenty of teams **** up and stay ****** and plenty of teams like Detroit manage to remain competitive. It's really not a science at all. (I just don't see the moves the leafs have done as being smart moves. Furthermore I don't see how any of those moves can keep them above 7-8th place tops on a lucky year. Maybe next years UFA signings will change my mind but I doubt it)

I actually see Burke being fired and the Leafs not going anywhere. Why? Because he traded away everything to buy his way into 8th place where he hasn't made it to yet and I don't think the leafs make it this year I think they'll be 9th. Less UFA's want to sign there than here. I really don't think it's a cycle unless you think the leafs doing a 2nd rebuild and not making the playoffs maybe once in a decade before finally redoing their rebuild == cycle. There's really no excuse under any rebuild that you should be that far off from being a contender after 6 straight years to the point of missing the playoffs and having no top end talent built from within.

I guess if you're saying the cycle is different for everyone??? But really ultimately it's not a science and I don't believe we're falling off just yet. It will be hard to remain competitive with smart teams like Ottawa doing a proper rebuild and tanking but with teams like the Leafs trying to stay competitive with UFA's when they're barely able to be competitive as it is.... it gives teams like ours a better shot.

Only difference between our two teams really, we didn't give away the future for our top end talent we built it from within (Plekanec) and signed them UFA rather than trading away assets. (Cammy for no picks > Kessel for two 1sts)

They're trying to build a UFA team with nothing to back it up. They've been lower middle of the pack for years and have dealt away high picks for years. I don't see that adding up to a competitive team. More-so a borderline playoff team which is what the habs having been trying to escape being for years, difference is they're at the lower part of the ladder.

I know Burke is smart but I don't even think he's good enough to do an improper rebuild in Toronto. The next GM who takes over is just going to tank. It isn't like they made the playoffs the last 6 years anyways. I don't see TO becoming a competitive club so long as they deal away picks for guys like Kessel as a result of UFA's not wanting to sign there. They're better off tanking.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote