HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Going to root for the leaf

View Poll Results: Q for HF Habs fans: Toronto versus Boston game, who do you want to win?
Toronto 70 50.36%
Boston 23 16.55%
Can't choose 46 33.09%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I will pretty much always root for the Leafs over the Bruins, unless the Bruins winning would help us. I am sure it is because of this generation of Habs fans not being used to the Leafs being decent, but I have always hated the Bruins more.

The only team I hate in any sport more than the Booins is the Yankees.
Only then would I root for Boston or Philadelphia. I'd put the Philadelphia Cheesepuffs (read: Flyers) on the same level as the Bruins.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really "cheer for" (or root for or in any way visibly support) any other team except the Habs in any other NHL game (unless the ramifications on the Habs are direct). That said, I would usually prefer if one team won over the other, for a variety of reasons (mostly related to FHL results). I would generally prefer if the Leafs beat the Bruins. The Leafs are "mostly harmless" and the Bruins are our biggest rival. But it's hard to call that "cheering for the Leafs", exactly.
Exactly right.

It's not so much that the ones who voted for the Leafs in this poll *want* them to win, but rather they'd not want to see the Bruins win.

The Leafs are in such a pathetic state right now, that it's hard to hate them. One good season and a playoff rivalry will change all that, but as it stands, it's tough to hate on a team that's been irrelevant for so long.

On the flipside, it's easy to want a team like Boston to lose under nearly every circumstance.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Because the Leafs of the 90s, and early 2000s were pretty good, right around the time the Habs were stinking it up. Hockey is a cyclical sport. The Leafs will be good again soon, while the Habs are already starting to fall off.
I would say our young core is better than yours, mostly because we have two superstahs.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Because the Leafs of the 90s, and early 2000s were pretty good, right around the time the Habs were stinking it up. Hockey is a cyclical sport. The Leafs will be good again soon, while the Habs are already starting to fall off.
Yeah, right.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I would cheer for the leafs, probably because I'm a leafs fan.

I'll go back to the leafs board now.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hoping and praying every year that the Habs won't make the playoffs so the Leafs can take their spot ≠ falling off.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Hoping and praying every year that the Habs won't make the playoffs so the Leafs can take their spot ≠ falling off.
Denial is one of the better anxiety defense mechanisms, don't forget.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:49 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
soon ? how soon ? 5/10 years ? and we're falling off ? really ? eastern finals 2 years ago and last playoffs we lost against the stanley cup champs and they barely won that,go ask any boston player,coach or fan wich team scared them the most in the playoffs and we have lots of potentiel young players like Price Subban PacMan Eller Beaulieu what does leafs have besides Schenn and gold memberships at the golf course ?

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:15 AM
neofury*

Exactly (to the posts all between my last one and this lol)

The leafs aren't even picking up momentum really. Over 6 years they've gone up like what 2 spaces in the standings. They have the worst coach in the NHL on a team that will be lucky to land in 8-9th place. On top of that they also have no real prospect pool, and coming from a habs fan that's awful. All their key prospects were dealt for pretty much. The ones built from within have either been busts or remain to be seen if they can be good. I'm not one for touting our prospect pool but the only reason they're ahead of us on that front (on paper) is because half our "prospects" have made the team and half their prospects were traded away (picks) or traded for (Colbourne)

They don't have a Subban to show for it, not even a Weber. They have Kadri who if they're lucky could be a poor mans Plek imo(points wise), but leafs fans think he'll be like the next Brad Richards. On top of that they traded for UFA Kessel when we just had to sign guys without giving up assets.

I don't see how going forward that's going to make them anything better than a 6th place team and that's if the stars align and they have some solid UFA signings next year PLUS their prospects all accelerate their development by a long shot.

And I don't say this because I dislike Toronto, if you read my previous posts in this thread I actually like Leafs fans and don't really dislike the leafs all that much. But they've been far from the team they were from 98-04 and they were actually quite overrated then too. They were never a true contender.

Now I'm not saying the habs are a true contender but we aren't looking at "if we're lucky 8th-9th place" or "if the stars align 6th or 7th place tops". I'd say Toronto doesn't even have a shot at becoming what they were in the late 90s early 00s with the way the team has been managed. I can't say it's all Burke's fault though, he made some ballsy moves and was handed a broken ship from the start. Kind of like Gainey was.

Problem is Burke isn't making it any easier on the next guy trading away picks and stuff. I have a feeling he will be fired in a few seasons when the leafs still have playoff troubles and the new GM will blow it all up and start over. Again though I don't see the habs on the decline right now either. To me that's wishful thinking on behalf of leafs fans looking to make the playoffs. Look to NYR who while they added Richards I expect to be terrible this season regardless. (If you're looking for a drop off #8 spot )

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:32 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Exactly (to the posts all between my last one and this lol)

The leafs aren't even picking up momentum really. Over 6 years they've gone up like what 2 spaces in the standings. They have the worst coach in the NHL on a team that will be lucky to land in 8-9th place. On top of that they also have no real prospect pool, and coming from a habs fan that's awful. All their key prospects were dealt for pretty much. The ones built from within have either been busts or remain to be seen if they can be good. I'm not one for touting our prospect pool but the only reason they're ahead of us on that front (on paper) is because half our "prospects" have made the team and half their prospects were traded away (picks) or traded for (Colbourne)

They don't have a Subban to show for it, not even a Weber. They have Kadri who if they're lucky could be a poor mans Plek imo(points wise), but leafs fans think he'll be like the next Brad Richards. On top of that they traded for UFA Kessel when we just had to sign guys without giving up assets.

I don't see how going forward that's going to make them anything better than a 6th place team and that's if the stars align and they have some solid UFA signings next year PLUS their prospects all accelerate their development by a long shot.

And I don't say this because I dislike Toronto, if you read my previous posts in this thread I actually like Leafs fans and don't really dislike the leafs all that much. But they've been far from the team they were from 98-04 and they were actually quite overrated then too. They were never a true contender.

Now I'm not saying the habs are a true contender but we aren't looking at "if we're lucky 8th-9th place" or "if the stars align 6th or 7th place tops". I'd say Toronto doesn't even have a shot at becoming what they were in the late 90s early 00s with the way the team has been managed. I can't say it's all Burke's fault though, he made some ballsy moves and was handed a broken ship from the start. Kind of like Gainey was.

Problem is Burke isn't making it any easier on the next guy trading away picks and stuff. I have a feeling he will be fired in a few seasons when the leafs still have playoff troubles and the new GM will blow it all up and start over. Again though I don't see the habs on the decline right now either. To me that's wishful thinking on behalf of leafs fans looking to make the playoffs. Look to NYR who while they added Richards I expect to be terrible this season regardless. (If you're looking for a drop off #8 spot )

Kessel was an RFA.

I don't disagree with your opinion on my team. I would imagine it looks that way to all outsiders.

The thing to remember is what this team looked like when Burke got here and what it looks like now. We have two new assistant coaches to help our bad PP and PK we added Liles and Franson on D while giving away nothing. Brought in potentially two first line center man without giving up anything. Lombardi in my mind we won't see until Dec IF we see him at all this year, but he has said he is coming along nicely and wants to go for the start of the year. So having said that our team did not change for the worse, only the better. If we can plug in more pieces that are better than what we had like Bozak and Lebda. I am sure that will be an improvement to the win-loss column.

As far as trading away picks we have only traded the Kessel picks no others of meaning on Burkes watch. We have also added prospects in almost every trade we have done. We have stop gaps on our main roster right now, most contracts seem to be up in two years and by that time we could be seeing kids like Colborne and Gardiner on a regular basis. So if you think about that, again we are adding without subtracting. I am not sure how many people here are familiar with are prospect pool but Colborne and Gardiner are both first round picks. Frattin looks closest to your White and Biggs and Broll could also be ready in that two year frame. Kadri needs to put on muscle, plain and simple. The kid has great hand skills and can skate. He will eventually make our top six I see him booting Macarthur or Lupul. Not this season though, my guess is next.

So having said that this team is going to look a lot different and again a lot younger over the next two seasons. Grabovski is also in my mind trade bait this deadline, so Burke could do something magic with him.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:21 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Kessel was an RFA.

I don't disagree with your opinion on my team. I would imagine it looks that way to all outsiders.

The thing to remember is what this team looked like when Burke got here and what it looks like now. We have two new assistant coaches to help our bad PP and PK we added Liles and Franson on D while giving away nothing. Brought in potentially two first line center man without giving up anything. Lombardi in my mind we won't see until Dec IF we see him at all this year, but he has said he is coming along nicely and wants to go for the start of the year. So having said that our team did not change for the worse, only the better. If we can plug in more pieces that are better than what we had like Bozak and Lebda. I am sure that will be an improvement to the win-loss column.

As far as trading away picks we have only traded the Kessel picks no others of meaning on Burkes watch. We have also added prospects in almost every trade we have done. We have stop gaps on our main roster right now, most contracts seem to be up in two years and by that time we could be seeing kids like Colborne and Gardiner on a regular basis. So if you think about that, again we are adding without subtracting. I am not sure how many people here are familiar with are prospect pool but Colborne and Gardiner are both first round picks. Frattin looks closest to your White and Biggs and Broll could also be ready in that two year frame. Kadri needs to put on muscle, plain and simple. The kid has great hand skills and can skate. He will eventually make our top six I see him booting Macarthur or Lupul. Not this season though, my guess is next.

So having said that this team is going to look a lot different and again a lot younger over the next two seasons. Grabovski is also in my mind trade bait this deadline, so Burke could do something magic with him.
I'm not trying to say the leafs are absolutely atrocious. But a lot of teams on the east stayed the same or got better. Leafs did too but remember they were already not a playoff team. Not saying it's impossible for them to make it because with injuries any team in the Leafs position actually can. I was kinda hoping you guys would make it last year because if we see each other in the post season it's going to bring back the rivalry!

But the main picks I was referring to were in the Kessel trade. Not denying Burke has gotten other assets but even if Kessel was RFA I don't see him being worth two lottery picks. Plain and simple. The comparison I was making was that while Kessel was RFA (and signed at UFA value mind you) we got Cammalleri off the market for cheaper and didn't give up two lottery picks in the process. Not getting into a Cammalleri vs Kessel debate, both teams fans will obviously have their opinions, but I think considering what you guys gave up it just wasn't worth it. I did mention Colbourne in my original post, he is a guy you guys did pick up with a ton of potential.

Personally with Kadri I don't see it though. Obviously we're all entitled to our homer opinions though, I thought Pouliot was going to be a hell of a good player last season But I just don't see TO as a playoff team this year, possibly 8th place though. I do however think if Lombardi can get better and come back to form you do have a real wild card going into next season.

Bottom line though I think the leafs will not make it this year, potentially could for the next couple years depending on player development and UFA signings but I don't see Burke being able to transform TO into a top 5 east team. Again though just my opinion, there are many factors one of them being handed a bag of **** in the first place, another is trading away lottery picks you could have used over the next couple years to do a legit rebuild. Who knows though if we did it so could TO, I just don't have faith in the coaching and general manager. I don't think even Burke could have handled that fiasco, maybe if he's given more time, or maybe the next GM will after Burke makes it a somewhat respectable team. Beauty of HF though is you can remember this post and bring it back up if I'm horribly wrong

Old
08-08-2011, 07:41 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'm not trying to say the leafs are absolutely atrocious. But a lot of teams on the east stayed the same or got better. Leafs did too but remember they were already not a playoff team. Not saying it's impossible for them to make it because with injuries any team in the Leafs position actually can. I was kinda hoping you guys would make it last year because if we see each other in the post season it's going to bring back the rivalry!

But the main picks I was referring to were in the Kessel trade. Not denying Burke has gotten other assets but even if Kessel was RFA I don't see him being worth two lottery picks. Plain and simple. The comparison I was making was that while Kessel was RFA (and signed at UFA value mind you) we got Cammalleri off the market for cheaper and didn't give up two lottery picks in the process. Not getting into a Cammalleri vs Kessel debate, both teams fans will obviously have their opinions, but I think considering what you guys gave up it just wasn't worth it. I did mention Colbourne in my original post, he is a guy you guys did pick up with a ton of potential.

Personally with Kadri I don't see it though. Obviously we're all entitled to our homer opinions though, I thought Pouliot was going to be a hell of a good player last season But I just don't see TO as a playoff team this year, possibly 8th place though. I do however think if Lombardi can get better and come back to form you do have a real wild card going into next season.

Bottom line though I think the leafs will not make it this year, potentially could for the next couple years depending on player development and UFA signings but I don't see Burke being able to transform TO into a top 5 east team. Again though just my opinion, there are many factors one of them being handed a bag of **** in the first place, another is trading away lottery picks you could have used over the next couple years to do a legit rebuild. Who knows though if we did it so could TO, I just don't have faith in the coaching and general manager. I don't think even Burke could have handled that fiasco, maybe if he's given more time, or maybe the next GM will after Burke makes it a somewhat respectable team. Beauty of HF though is you can remember this post and bring it back up if I'm horribly wrong
I am actually on board with us not making the playoffs this year, to many IF's for my liking. I think if we needed to be compared, you can put us with the canes, jets and last year the sabres and rangers. This team could sneak into a 8th seed if teams underrate them though.

I also don't have much faith in Ron Wilson BUT I think he is on his way out. With the two new assistant coaches here now he is on thin ice. This year for the first time in years we can roll three lines in any kind of combination, three scoring lines or two scoring lines with bottom grinders ect.

I won't debate Kessel vs Cammy. Me personally I see them at two different stages of there career and two different types of players. Only comparison to me is that both can score. Colborne has sweet hands for a big guy but he needs more time, he did have one assist when we played you guys in the last regular season game. Didn't do anything to deserve it though lol kessel did the work.

Kadri will be a good player he is far from a bust ( I know you didn't say that ) he needs to bulk up and get on a top line either NHL or AHL. I expect to see him top six next year for us, he is not a goal scorer he is a great passer. He has great vision and hockey sense, problem is he takes risks and they have not payed of for him yet.

The last is about Burke. I think people forget he is not alone in this rebuild. Burke, Nonis, Fletcher, and Dudley are all in our front office. Two have cup rings and all four have a significant part in building a Stanley cup champion. Have you ever seen Burkes "war room" the guy is in there for hours at a time.

I think Burke is doing a good job, more so then the morons before him that actually did this to us. Burke is bringing us out of this hole, fans of other teams won't see it until they can't beat us. Players around the league I believe have already seen it, when Liles had one of his first interviews he said " We played them closer to the end of the year and they are tough to play against, they looked like they were putting it all together and I am excited to be apart of that now moving forward".

I am a realistic fan and will be one of the first to tell you we don't have a chance to WIN the cup but if Reimer plays the way he can, Connolly and kessel click, Lombardi gets in the lineup and Franson and Liles help the PP we will be right there looking to take one of those playoff spots. Will we win the cup no, but 7th and 8th spot could happen.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Eband00

I will be going to Humber College in TO this fall. Do you guys know where i can watch hab games? It's arround the Brampton/North york area

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eband00 View Post
I will be going to Humber College in TO this fall. Do you guys know where i can watch hab games? It's arround the Brampton/North york area
Just get bell satellite. RDS is on there.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
I am actually on board with us not making the playoffs this year, to many IF's for my liking. I think if we needed to be compared, you can put us with the canes, jets and last year the sabres and rangers. This team could sneak into a 8th seed if teams underrate them though.

I also don't have much faith in Ron Wilson BUT I think he is on his way out. With the two new assistant coaches here now he is on thin ice. This year for the first time in years we can roll three lines in any kind of combination, three scoring lines or two scoring lines with bottom grinders ect.

I won't debate Kessel vs Cammy. Me personally I see them at two different stages of there career and two different types of players. Only comparison to me is that both can score. Colborne has sweet hands for a big guy but he needs more time, he did have one assist when we played you guys in the last regular season game. Didn't do anything to deserve it though lol kessel did the work.

Kadri will be a good player he is far from a bust ( I know you didn't say that ) he needs to bulk up and get on a top line either NHL or AHL. I expect to see him top six next year for us, he is not a goal scorer he is a great passer. He has great vision and hockey sense, problem is he takes risks and they have not payed of for him yet.

The last is about Burke. I think people forget he is not alone in this rebuild. Burke, Nonis, Fletcher, and Dudley are all in our front office. Two have cup rings and all four have a significant part in building a Stanley cup champion. Have you ever seen Burkes "war room" the guy is in there for hours at a time.

I think Burke is doing a good job, more so then the morons before him that actually did this to us. Burke is bringing us out of this hole, fans of other teams won't see it until they can't beat us. Players around the league I believe have already seen it, when Liles had one of his first interviews he said " We played them closer to the end of the year and they are tough to play against, they looked like they were putting it all together and I am excited to be apart of that now moving forward".

I am a realistic fan and will be one of the first to tell you we don't have a chance to WIN the cup but if Reimer plays the way he can, Connolly and kessel click, Lombardi gets in the lineup and Franson and Liles help the PP we will be right there looking to take one of those playoff spots. Will we win the cup no, but 7th and 8th spot could happen.
Thank you explaining beautifully.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
soon ? how soon ? 5/10 years ? and we're falling off ? really ? eastern finals 2 years ago and last playoffs we lost against the stanley cup champs and they barely won that,go ask any boston player,coach or fan wich team scared them the most in the playoffs and we have lots of potentiel young players like Price Subban PacMan Eller Beaulieu what does leafs have besides Schenn and gold memberships at the golf course ?
Really? Schenn, Phaneuf, Kessel, Liles and the like would dominate the rest of the league on the golf course?

For this year, the biggest Leafs question marks are Connolly and Reimer.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:04 PM
tinyzombies

Root for injuries (not major tho!). ;>

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Halifaxhab

Burke traded another 2nd for Liles. If he can unload one of the many dmen in the stable for some picks, this works out for him.

Toronto seems to run thru a repeat cycle every year lately. Slow start; coach gets pissy; November rolls to a solid .500 win%, fan base starts planning their playoff budgets for tickets; Dec drops to .400; coach gets just plain angry and the press LOOOOSSSE their minds, Burke tells them all off; January is just plain painful; All-Star break, Burke calls it a gong show and gets angry that more Leafs other than Kessel are not chosen; Post all-Star break, team gets hot, pulls out a .600 win% but were too far behind to get in and miss playoffs by 4 to 8 pts; Burke gets angry and tells off press saying it's a Cup or bust.

Unfortunately, all that just says to me that even though Leafs finally got a GM who isn't mentally handicapped (work wise...Burke is a ******, but a solid hockey ******), but unless they go full rebuild, they will be at best a 7-8 seed if all goes well.

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Teufelsdreck

I dislike the Bruins more than the Leafs but that's not the same thing as saying I like the Leafs more than the Bruins. I have no liking for either one.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

My hate for the Bruins is infinite while my hate for the leafs is definitely there but not as high. I mostly laugh at the leafs and find them bad. That's why I'd root for the Leafs.

Don't get me wrong, if suddenly Leafs become habs killer and Komisarek ''accidentally'' destroys Pacioretty, Subban and Price on the ice, they would bypass Boston.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:11 PM
habs_24x

I would never root for Boston as long as i live so GO Leafs GO!!!

edit: actually, i just read the OP all the way so i would root for the Leafs
if they are playing a team ahead of the Habs in the standings. I will always root for a team to beat another ahead of the Habs, it will always be about the Habs first and foremost. I dont spend too much time hating on other teams, i just want mine to be the best.

Last edited by habs_24x: 08-09-2011 at 02:19 PM.
habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Lots of herp derp comments from both teams' fans.

Quote:
Make your way down to Kilgour's @ Bloor & Bathurst.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

Make your way down to Kilgour's @ Bloor & Bathurst.
I checked this place out last week, smallish but legit Habs oasis. Plan to watch some games there, and down in Buffalo and maybe even at the Air Canada place if I find a big bag of cash...

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Eband00

I won't have enough money to pay for tv :-(!! I will try Kilgour's, i don't even know where it is! Google is my friend, and the gps is even a better friend!

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I won't have enough money to pay for tv :-(!! I will try Kilgour's, i don't even know where it is! Google is my friend, and the gps is even a better friend!
You have the internet right? Atdhe (google it), Myp2p.eu(myp2p.us), there are others I just don't remember them. Nearly every game is streamed and sometimes even in pretty good quality.

Also doesn't RDS.ca offer it online? Could be they got rid of it but it would be a lot cheaper than cable.