HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Van/NYI

Old
08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Hipster Doofus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I doubt they would want PA
The deal would be more centered around any of our younger puck movers with PA bringing them depth insurance at a very cheap price. Is Higgin really that much better than him? I don't think so. Higgins hasn't scored 20 goals in years.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The deal would be more centered around any of our younger puck movers with PA bringing them depth insurance at a very cheap price. Is Higgin really that much better than him? I don't think so. Higgins hasn't scored 20 goals in years.
Higgins is signed for two more years at 1.9MM though, they have already made a commitment based (mostly) on his play in the playoffs. They obviously feel like he can help them. I see 11 forwards already under contract that are better than PAP.

Don't let the goals/points confuse what Parenteau is. As OTH said:
Quote:
Eventually, we have to aspire for league based talent, not Isles adjusted talent. One day I'd hope a 6th d-man on Vancouver's blueline would be a 7th on ours, not a 3rd.
Parenteau is the epitome of "adjusted talent" - this is FAR from a 1st line winger on a winning (NHL) team.

And another point of clarity. In a cap world especially, ADDING PLAYERS to a deal REDUCES the value of the deal, it DOESN'T increase it (draft picks excluded of course). Teams that are looking to fill holes have limited roster space and cap space don't want additional players on NHL contracts. This is why Lombardi is added to Franson, why Comrie is added to Campoli, why Hunter-Rolston deals happen. Trading NHL dollars and contracts.

Adding Katic is borderline meaningless, he's a fringe prospect that couldn't make VAN and certainly wouldn't help them win a cup.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The deal would be more centered around any of our younger puck movers with PA bringing them depth insurance at a very cheap price. Is Higgin really that much better than him? I don't think so.
For where they'd likely play in Vancouver's line up (ie. bottom six), Higgins is vastly superior to Parenteau. He's a much better skater, and is a lot better defensively.

Quote:
Higgins hasn't scored 20 goals in years.
Higgins also hasn't played on his team's top line, particularly playing on the top PP unit, either.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Hipster Doofus

Ballard doesn't help them win a cup either. Your arguing as though this is a proposal for someone who played some kind of a role. He was healthy scratched. No one is giving up any thing of value for him if he is on the market. They will get picks and spare parts to increase depth.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For where they'd likely play in Vancouver's line up (ie. bottom six), Higgins is vastly superior to Parenteau. He's a much better skater, and is a lot better defensively.

Higgins also hasn't played on his team's top line, particularly playing on the top PP unit, either.
yeah he was vastly superior to PAP back in 2007/2008 this kid is no where near what he used to be... and has been thrown into a bottom six role because he can't produce like he used to and he hasn't kept up with his physical training

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 View Post
yeah he was vastly superior to PAP back in 2007/2008 this kid is no where near what he used to be... and has been thrown into a bottom six role because he can't produce like he used to and he hasn't kept up with his physical training
You left out the part of my post where I said "for where they'd likely play in Vancouver's line up (ie. bottom six)" with regards to why Higgins is vastly superior to Parenteau.

In a bottom six role, Parenteau would be a liability. He's not fast, he's not physical, and he's not good defensively. Higgins at least has speed going for him, as well as being responsible defensively.

If you think Parenteau would replace Higgins in a bottom six role, I don't know what to tell you.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You left out the part of my post where I said "for where they'd likely play in Vancouver's line up (ie. bottom six)" with regards to why Higgins is vastly superior to Parenteau.

In a bottom six role, Parenteau would be a liability. He's not fast, he's not physical, and he's not good defensively. Higgins at least has speed going for him, as well as being responsible defensively.

If you think Parenteau would replace Higgins in a bottom six role, I don't know what to tell you.
nope read it quick cleaning and posting my bad... although hasn't higgins lost a lot of his speed? or was that just the one year where he ate a lot of Mcdonalds burgers and got fat for training camp lol

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote