HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Where would you rank the Hawks offense?

Old
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Top 5. Just like last year, and the year before.

I've seen enough Hawks/Canucks games to say this: Chicago's offence is DEADLY. Take them lightly at your own risk.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
bradbirtch
go leafs go

vCash: 500
top 5

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I admit I got a semi watching him in a replay of game 5. Just flat out dominance. He said in an interview he was excited to bring his play back to that level for good next season. Hopefully he does it. Should be fun to watch.
Not only was his defensive play infinitely better than what he showed in during the season, but his shot came back as well (I noticed this the last few games of the regular season). If his shot looks like it did in the playoffs, he'll have a monster (offensive) season and make our PP that much more effective. Seabs was almost equally as worthless with his shot yet he piled on the points. It's scary to think what Keith could do if playing at a high level (our PP was rancid during the Cup season for those that can't remember).

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
zac

As for the OPs question we should definitely be top 5.

The problem with our offense though has been consistency. I haven't looked up the stats to confirm this, but I suspect the Hawks scored 5 + goals in a game more than anyone in the league. I also wouldn't be surprised if they scored 2 or less goals more than any team in the top 10 in scoring. I would be nice if we could even it out a little.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Agreed. Not sure if people actually realize that Buffalo has consistently been one of the best offensive teams (in terms of pure statistics) since the lockout.

I'd say 4th or 5th overall in GF is perfectly reasonable.

We finish top 5 usually in goals for, if not then definitely top 10 every year since the lockout.

I bet a buddy the year we lost Drury and Briere we'd still finish top 5 in scoring, he lost 50 bucks....we finished 4th.

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Puckgenius*

Hawks offense is so deadly because of their run and gun game, and theyre one of the best teams off the rush. Not many teams move the puck up ice faster than the haws do.

No Soup this year on the blueline, so itll be interesting to see if their transition game takes a bit of a hit.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
IndianCommitted
Hello, Duncan Keef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
haha, how exactly did they improve?
Read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianCommitted View Post
I don't think Olesz will even make the Hawks roster. They moved out Campbell to clear cap space and have plenty of depth as far as forwards go. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a scratch or most likely in Rockford next year.

The top line most likely will be

Brunette - Toews - Kane

Also, it all depends on injuries. If Hossa and Bolland can stay healthy that is a HUGE difference. Last season they played 126 games combined (compared to 164 in a full season) and scored a combined 94 points. In a full year (with no injuries, we hope) they could be capable of 120+ points for the Hawks.

Stalberg needs to step it up this year. He can do a lot better than his 24 points in 77 games. Also, I think Ben Smith and Bickell will have huge years. Bickell scored 37 points in 78 games last year. I bet he tops 50+ this year. Smith was great in the playoffs but only played 6 games for the Hawks last season. Assuming he's fulltime on the roster and plays a full season, he easily replaces Pisani AND Dowell in my opinion. Also, look out for Nick Leddy. He isn't capable of replacing Brian Campbell YET, but he will be there soon. Great offensive defenseman.
A LOT is relying on Hossa and Bolland, however we've got some great players replacing guys who left.

IndianCommitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:27 AM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Hawks offense is so deadly because of their run and gun game, and theyre one of the best teams off the rush. Not many teams move the puck up ice faster than the haws do.

No Soup this year on the blueline, so itll be interesting to see if their transition game takes a bit of a hit.

Ours did.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:34 AM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
What? We finished 3rd last year without Roy and Pominville, now they're both set to go with the additions we have made and our young stars emerging.

People undderate Buffao offensively at a disgusting rate here. God I want the season to start.
And you Sabres fans overrate it at a disgusting rate it is so unbelievable. I understand with the new additions you guys added in the offseason you guys are excited and you want to drop the puck now, but pls don't put Buffalo's offense above Vancouver, Boston, San Jose, etc. Because those are clearly better AINEC. Man, you guys are worse than TO fans when they won 4 straight games at the beginning of the season, they were already saying "plan the parade". Wait until they actually play a game before you rate your team...

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:45 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstill View Post
Man, you guys are worse than TO fans when they won 4 straight games at the beginning of the season, they were already saying "plan the parade". Wait until they actually play a game before you rate your team...
We were all joking

As for Hawks? Top 5 easily. Love watching the plays they create off the rush. After the Leafs, the Hawks have been on of my favourite teams to watch. And yes I jumped on their bandwagon

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:09 AM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
We were all joking

As for Hawks? Top 5 easily. Love watching the plays they create off the rush. After the Leafs, the Hawks have been on of my favourite teams to watch. And yes I jumped on their bandwagon
But still, I found it ridiculous.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:25 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Handsome Ralph

Quote:
Ours did.
So did San Jose's when he left that offseason. They've been searching for their puck-mover ever since.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
What? We finished 3rd last year without Roy and Pominville, now they're both set to go with the additions we have made and our young stars emerging.

People undderate Buffao offensively at a disgusting rate here. God I want the season to start.
Still don't know how you managed to calculate that Buffalo finished 3rd in goals scored last year...

Pominville also missed all of 9 games. I don't know why you're bringing him up either. A 20 goal scorer missing 9 games isn't really going to affect the season goal totals that much. Most teams had top players that missed 9+ games anyway (see Kane and Hossa for Chicago).

To answer the original question, I'd probably put the Hawks as top 5, similar to last year.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
Still don't know how you managed to calculate that Buffalo finished 3rd in goals scored last year...

Pominville also missed all of 9 games. I don't know why you're bringing him up either. A 20 goal scorer missing 9 games isn't really going to affect the season goal totals that much. Most teams had top players that missed 9+ games anyway (see Kane and Hossa for Chicago).

To answer the original question, I'd probably put the Hawks as top 5, similar to last year.
I assume he meant 3rd in the East (which i think is correct).

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
They'll score at least 270 goals, so that should be good for top 3. I have them ranked No. 1.

Keys to the Hawks season:

1. Health
2. Release Emery ASAP
3. Good season from Salak

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
We finish top 5 usually in goals for, if not then definitely top 10 every year since the lockout.
Facts be damned, eh?

Sabres GF rankings:
10-11 9th
09-10 10th
08-09 13th
07-08 4th*
06-07 1st
05-06 5th

Corrected.

Last edited by Arrch: 08-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
chopkins
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post
Facts be damned, eh?

Sabres GF rankings:
10-11 9th
09-10 10th
08-09 13th
07-08 22nd
06-07 1st
05-06 5th
A team that "is usually top 5 in GF" hasn't been since 06-07.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
A team that "is usually top 5 in GF" hasn't been since 06-07.

Uh, What? The Season after we lost Drury and Briere we were 4th in the entire LEAGUE in scoring, not 22nd?

I won a bet on that, I would know.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Dead.Last.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
Uh, What? The Season after we lost Drury and Briere we were 4th in the entire LEAGUE in scoring, not 22nd?

I won a bet on that, I would know.
You're right, I must have sorted incorrectly. I stand corrected. Regardless, you're still exaggerating.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Huddy
No 13 ; No 40 = NP

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy
i dont think the hawks offense outside of hossa, kane, towes is anything to write home about...just my opinion

Huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
i dont think the hawks offense outside of hossa, kane, towes is anything to write home about...just my opinion
Seeing as you left out one of their best goal scorers in Sharp and we clearly see what team your allegiances lie with we'll take those both into account when reading your opinion.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
haha, how exactly did they improve?
Chicago

Traded ----------- Brought in
Brian Campbell > Steve Montador
Troy Brouwer < Andrew Burnette
Tomas Kopecky < Michael Frolik
Jack Skille < Rotislav Olesz
Jake Dowell < Ben Smith
Fernando Pisani < Jamal Mayers
______________ < Dan Carcillo
Jordan Hendry < Nick Leddy
Nick Boynton < Sami Lepisto
Jason Cullimore < Sean O'Donnell
Marty Turco < Alex Salak/Ray Emery

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Ours did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders0n74 View Post
So did San Jose's when he left that offseason. They've been searching for their puck-mover ever since.
I'm not saying it won't take a small hit, but those teams didn't have Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrook either.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Huddy
No 13 ; No 40 = NP

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Seeing as you left out one of their best goal scorers in Sharp and we clearly see what team your allegiances lie with we'll take those both into account when reading your opinion.
please do...but outside of hossa, towes, kane and sharp, the hawks arent very good on paper..that doesnt mean they wont score goals, but their offense outside those 4 players, is nothing to write home about..

I can say the same thing for the red wings, so ya, my allegiances are w the red wings, but im saying the same thing for them. Outside of Datsyuk, Z, and Frazen , their offense isnt anything special....

The wings along w other teams in the west have better depth forwards than chicago, and thats very clear....thats why the wings wont have a problem advancing into the playoffs...

hawk fans really excited about Dan Carcillo, Frolik, Olesz, mayers as good depth etc? eeek

Huddy is offline   Reply With Quote