HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do most people actually believe the Oilers are tanking?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2011, 01:31 PM
  #1
Enlighten
Registered User
 
Enlighten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Do most people actually believe the Oilers are tanking?

This thread is in response to Should 3 1sts in a row be disallowed


I am an oilers fan and have been for entire life . My earliest memories of the oilers goes back to 90 when the mayor of Calgary and mayor of Edmonton had a first or second round bet that the cities mayor who lost the series would stand on the rooftops of the tallest building waving the other teams flag. My mom actually pulled me outa school to see when Klein had to do it great memory!!

Anyway that is besides the point the Edmonton oilers are not Tanking!!!!!!!!


Take a look if you will at the last 2 years in that time the only players to play close to a full season include Tom Gilbert Andrew Cogliano and Dustin penner. That's it Hall Hemsky Whitney our defacto number one defenseman Gagner Eberle Khabby our hmm Number one goalie Horcoff our only capable Pker and face-off guy the list goes on and on and on!!! The point is for two straight years the oilers have had to ice a very BAD team not because they wanted to or were trying to. But because they were forced to. I know i know injuries arent an icuse but when you look at the last two years tell me if any team in the league would be able to not finish dead last with 3 3rd lines and a questionable 4 th line for 2 years keep in mind a hell of a lot of these I juries overlapped for a significant amount of time. Add to this two unlucky free agent signings in Khabby and Foster BTW.

Anyone here still think the oilers are tanking on purpose is either an Idiot or just Blind.
No team can go through that string of bs luck and not end up last twice..

What say you???


Last edited by Enlighten: 08-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  #2
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
Not to mention the numerous free agents the Oilers tried to recruit over the years that would have greatly bolstered the team. It's not their fault nobody wants to play in Edmonton.

It's just people whining. We saw it happen in the pre-draft threads when everyone was saying that RNH wasn't the top pick when 95% of scouts and 100% of scouting services listed him at #1.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
  #3
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Not to mention the numerous free agents the Oilers tried to recruit over the years that would have greatly bolstered the team. It's not their fault nobody wants to play in Edmonton.

It's just people whining. We saw it happen in the pre-draft threads when everyone was saying that RNH wasn't the top pick when 95% of scouts and 100% of scouting services listed him at #1.
Not to be unfair, but it sort of is (at least, partially). If the Oilers ice a winning team, they'll be more enticing in the free agent market.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
  #4
Roamin
Registered User
 
Roamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
tank 4 da new arena!!!

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
  #5
UnrefinedCrude
Registered User
 
UnrefinedCrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Not to be unfair, but it sort of is (at least, partially). If the Oilers ice a winning team, they'll be more enticing in the free agent market.
I agree here. i'm an Oilers fan and its entirely their fault when no one wanted to play there. it starting to change, and that s because they are finally starting to build a solid system.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
  #6
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
It is untrue that free agents don't want to sign in Edmonton based souly on location, it is because they have been losing so long.

Look at Detroit, it's probably the worst major city we have in America, but free agents want to go there because of the winning culture. Nobody takes a paycut to live in Detroit, the prospects of decaying buildings and rampant crime aren't what attract them, they take a paycut because year in and out they are Stanley Cup contenders who have a much better chance of reaching the finals than most teams.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
  #7
SupremefartMachine
Registered User
 
SupremefartMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Tanking on purpose? No, I doubt it. That would be very stupid. This isn't 1984 where tanking meant drafting Mario Lemieux, and the Pens probably did tank on purpose.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
  #8
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
Tanking on purpose? No, I doubt it. That would be very stupid. This isn't 1984 where tanking meant drafting Mario Lemieux, and the Pens probably did tank on purpose.
LMAO.. that didn't take long

I agree though.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
  #9
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,888
vCash: 500
I don't believe any team has ever tanked. At least not since I started following the NHL sixteen or seventeen years ago.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
  #10
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 1050
Um yea they are tanking and have been tanking for a while. But look at Florida would you rather tank and do a rebuild or try to stay moderately competitive. For years it seemed like they would just barely miss the playoffs and would end up with another mid round pick, their scouts sucked and they just continuously watched their team wither into mediocrity. Edmonton and Pit went about it the way the NHL wants you to go about it, suck and you will be rewarded with great talent once it develops. Plus when you suck that hard your talent gets to develop in the NHL against NHL players, they basically learn the hard way and learn it fast and are basically veterans of the league by the time they are 21, before they hit their prime.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
  #11
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,671
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelcomehomeSmytty View Post
This thread is in response to Should 3 1sts in a row be disallowed


I am an oilers fan and have been for entire life . My earliest memories of the oilers goes back to 90 when the mayor of Calgary and mayor of Edmonton had a first or second round bet that the cities mayor who lost the series would stand on the rooftops of the tallest building waving the other teams flag. My mom actually pulled me outa school to see when Klein had to do it great memory!!

Anyway that is besides the point the Edmonton oilers are not Tanking!!!!!!!!


Take a look if you will at the last 2 years in that time the only players to play close to a full season include Tom Gilbert Andrew Cogliano and Dustin penner. That's it Hall Hemsky Whitney our defacto number one defenseman Gagner Eberle Khabby our hmm Number one goalie Horcoff our only capable Pker and face-off guy the list goes on and on and on!!! The point is for two straight years the oilers have had to ice a very BAD team not because they wanted to or were trying to. But because they were forced to. I know i know injuries arent an icuse but when you look at the last two years tell me if any team in the league would be able to not finish dead last with 3 3rd lines and a questionable 4 th line for 2 years keep in mind a hell of a lot of these I juries overlapped for a significant amount of time. Add to this two unlucky free agent signings in Khabby and Foster BTW.

Anyone here still think the oilers are tanking on purpose is either an Idiot or just Blind.
No team can go through that string of bs luck and not end up last twice..

What say you???
I said in my OP that I didn't think Oilers were actually going to be in last place. It had nothing to do with the team at all, if anything though it might have had something to do with certain fans who are salivating at yet another 1st overall pick (we've all seen it).

I don't think they deliberately tank, nor do I think they'll be at the bottom. But if they are, I don't believe they need another 1st overall because they already have the seeds of success planted, much more so compared to other basement dwellers.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
  #12
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Look at Detroit, it's probably the worst major city we have in America, but free agents want to go there because of the winning culture. Nobody takes a paycut to live in Detroit, the prospects of decaying buildings and rampant crime aren't what attract them, they take a paycut because year in and out they are Stanley Cup contenders who have a much better chance of reaching the finals than most teams.
Like who? Washed up Todd Bertuzzi and Mike Modano?

Not knocking the Red Wings, since they are great via the draft and do not have to rely on free agents to have a successful team year in and year out.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
  #13
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Like who? Washed up Todd Bertuzzi and Mike Modano?

Not knocking the Red Wings, since they are great via the draft and do not have to rely on free agents to have a successful team year in and year out.
Marian Hossa, Brian Rafalski, Dominik Hasek, Curtis Joseph all say hi. And that's just off the top of my head.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
  #14
OilersMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
This discussion requires a definition of tanking.

If you think that relying on young players is tanking then yes.

If you think that purposely losing is tanking then no.

OilersMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #15
Enlighten
Registered User
 
Enlighten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I said in my OP that I didn't think Oilers were actually going to be in last place. It had nothing to do with the team at all, if anything though it might have had something to do with certain fans who are salivating at yet another 1st overall pick (we've all seen it).

I don't think they deliberately tank, nor do I think they'll be at the bottom. But if they are, I don't believe they need another 1st overall because they already have the seeds of success planted, much more so compared to other basement dwellers.
It more in response to what the thread became not your initial post. Sorry

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
  #16
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Not to be unfair, but it sort of is (at least, partially). If the Oilers ice a winning team, they'll be more enticing in the free agent market.
What about right after they went to the finals? Sure, the Oilers weren't the strongest team ever but they weren't worse than a lot of the teams that these FAs ended up signing with.

The lack of FAs, coupled with some mismanagement after the finals run, screwed the organization over for years.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
  #17
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,888
vCash: 50
If the definition of tanking is when you make no effort to improve your team other than acquiring draft picks, give a ton of ice time to players that aren't ready for it and finish at the bottom of the NHL 2 years in a row in an era of supposed "parity", then yes, the Oilers have been tanking.

If you think the players on the ice are purposely losing, you're foolish and to me that's not the definition of tanking because it would never happen.

Management ensuring that the players are put in a position of failure is tanking to me and that's what the Oilers have been doing.

Whether it's wrong... I'm not sure, but Oiler fans seemed to have embraced the idea, so if the fans are happy then I guess it doesn't matter.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  #18
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,353
vCash: 500
No, they aren't tanking on purpose but their rebuild is going very slowly.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  #19
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Its rebuilding, not tanking

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
  #20
Aquiace
The Goggles!
 
Aquiace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in VanCity
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelcomehomeSmytty View Post
Anyone here still think the oilers are tanking on purpose is either an Idiot or just Blind.
No team can go through that string of bs luck and not end up last twice..

What say you???
Oh really?

Bad luck is when you get struck by lightning driving in your car. Getting struck by lightning while standing on a tree in a thunderstorm, swinging a golf club is begging for it.

Many teams deal with devastating injuries. As of March of 2011, Edmonton was ranked 13th in man games lost (3.03/g). 12 other teams had more and more devastating kinds of injuries. Of the 12 who had more, 5 made the playoffs including the pres winner. There are lots of things you can say lead to them finishing last, but bad luck and injuries aren't one of them.

The top 10 in MGL/G were: (Bolded are playoff teams)

NYI (6.92/g)
Colorado (5.35/g)
New Jersey (5.18/g)
Minnesota (4.97/g)
Calgary (4.24/g)
Nashville (4.21/g)
Vancouver (4.19)
Pittsburgh (4.15/g)
St. Louis (3.99/g)
NY Rangers (3.97/g)

Source:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1955920/

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
  #21
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelcomehomeSmytty View Post
This thread is in response to Should 3 1sts in a row be disallowed


I am an oilers fan and have been for entire life . My earliest memories of the oilers goes back to 90 when the mayor of Calgary and mayor of Edmonton had a first or second round bet that the cities mayor who lost the series would stand on the rooftops of the tallest building waving the other teams flag. My mom actually pulled me outa school to see when Klein had to do it great memory!!

Anyway that is besides the point the Edmonton oilers are not Tanking!!!!!!!!


Take a look if you will at the last 2 years in that time the only players to play close to a full season include Tom Gilbert Andrew Cogliano and Dustin penner. That's it Hall Hemsky Whitney our defacto number one defenseman Gagner Eberle Khabby our hmm Number one goalie Horcoff our only capable Pker and face-off guy the list goes on and on and on!!! The point is for two straight years the oilers have had to ice a very BAD team not because they wanted to or were trying to. But because they were forced to. I know i know injuries arent an icuse but when you look at the last two years tell me if any team in the league would be able to not finish dead last with 3 3rd lines and a questionable 4 th line for 2 years keep in mind a hell of a lot of these I juries overlapped for a significant amount of time. Add to this two unlucky free agent signings in Khabby and Foster BTW.

Anyone here still think the oilers are tanking on purpose is either an Idiot or just Blind.
No team can go through that string of bs luck and not end up last twice..

What say you???
The Preds have gotten into the play offs with three third lines four times since 2004

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  #22
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!
 
Injury Prone Stastny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
No, they aren't doing it on purpose. They are really that bad.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  #23
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
No, they aren't tanking on purpose but their rebuild is going very slowly.
Agreed. I like Edmonton and all, but this rebuild is taking entirely too long.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:16 PM
  #24
Huddy*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
dont wanna sound like a sour puss or anything, but how about a grammar check

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
  #25
Angelus
Smile Time!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 141
[QUOTE=Aquiace;35763775]As of March of 2011, Edmonton was ranked 13th in man games lost. 12 other teams had more and more devastating kinds of injuries. Of the 12 who had more, 5 made the playoffs including the pres winner/QUOTE]

Of course you would list "stats" in the most selective manner possible to push your anti-Oilers agenda. Why not mention the fact that they lost 530+ man games in 2010? Then they trimmed payroll and went into 2011 with a clearly rebuilding roster and still had the injury bug.

And I liked how you snuck the "pres winner" in there to remind us of the only (kinda) meaningful trophy the Canucks will ever win.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.