HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Proposals Mashup Pt. II

View Poll Results: would you sign morrison
yes 13 19.70%
no 53 80.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
I love Kesler, but he gets too much credit for a guy who plays against secondary defensive competition.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Kesler and Weber have similar values, but I'd rather not do this trade because if we lose Kesler we'd open a massive hole on our 2nd line/PK/PP.

If we had Crosby/Malkin/Staal-like center depth, then I'd consider trading Malkin for Weber.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

If you can guarantee that Weber is signed for at least the next 5 yrs at, at most $6mill/yr, yes, I'd make that swap in a second. I'm a huge Kesler fan and don't want to see him go anywhere, but contracts aside, there are a handful of players in the league I'd swap him for. Weber is one of them.

Weber is and will be one of the top-3 dmen in the game for a long time. It's like having Pronger before he hit his prime and still a total dominant force on the ice.

If you can get that franchise dman to build your defense around longterm, Kesler is a piece I'd give up.

Problem with value to the team here is with the contract. Kesler brings a great many things to the table, but the most difficult to replace is that $5mill cap hit for all the things he brings. That's HUGE value to the team. But if you can get that same value from a franchise player like Weber, I'd do that swap in a second.

Of course, best case scenario is that he signs here as a UFA. And until he signs that long term deal, there's still hope. I'm happy waiting 2 years to find out and keep Kesler in the process.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
If you can guarantee that Weber is signed for at least the next 5 yrs at, at most $6mill/yr, yes, I'd make that swap in a second. I'm a huge Kesler fan and don't want to see him go anywhere, but contracts aside, there are a handful of players in the league I'd swap him for. Weber is one of them.

Weber is and will be one of the top-3 dmen in the game for a long time. It's like having Pronger before he hit his prime and still a total dominant force on the ice.

If you can get that franchise dman to build your defense around longterm, Kesler is a piece I'd give up.

Problem with value to the team here is with the contract. Kesler brings a great many things to the table, but the most difficult to replace is that $5mill cap hit for all the things he brings. That's HUGE value to the team. But if you can get that same value from a franchise player like Weber, I'd do that swap in a second.

Of course, best case scenario is that he signs here as a UFA. And until he signs that long term deal, there's still hope. I'm happy waiting 2 years to find out and keep Kesler in the process.
I dont think we'll see him hit Free Agency as a Pred. If that's the case. The longer this drags out, you'd have to think that the less his value is in terms of trade.

If it's July 1 next season, and someone offers him big buck on a 1yr deal, the Preds have no option but to take the compensation as he would be lost to free agency the following season.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Kesler and Weber have similar values, but I'd rather not do this trade because if we lose Kesler we'd open a massive hole on our 2nd line/PK/PP.

If we had Crosby/Malkin/Staal-like center depth, then I'd consider trading Malkin for Weber.
Yeah like when Nashville, who arguably has the top d pairing in the NHL used them to match up to Kesler in the 2nd round, and he made them look average.

Whoops, meant to quote wisp not wilch.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yeah like when Nashville, who arguably has the top d pairing in the NHL used them to match up to Kesler in the 2nd round, and he made them look average.

Whoops, meant to quote wisp not wilch.
IMO this is because Kesler didnt have to focus on shutting down any NSH forwards, and could attack full force. Sedins were held in check decently.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
IMO this is because Kesler didnt have to focus on shutting down any NSH forwards, and could attack full force. Sedins were held in check decently.
Still, my quote was directed at the poster who claimed Kesler was overrated, because he played against secondary defense pairs.

Sedins weren't held in check by the Preds, more by Rinne. From a numbers perspective they were "held in check", but they created a ton of opportunities that werent finished (unlike the finals, where the created very little).

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Still, my quote was directed at the poster who claimed Kesler was overrated, because he played against secondary defense pairs.

Sedins weren't held in check by the Preds, more by Rinne. From a numbers perspective they were "held in check", but they created a ton of opportunities that werent finished (unlike the finals, where the created very little).
Nobody produced in the finals.

And I don't think Kesler is overrated, far from it. My comment was more of a protest from people who think he's the greatest thing our team has to offer. I really like the different skill sets from our two scoring lines.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

Even if weber was signed to contract value, I still would hesitate to make the deal especially since trading away a first line selke winning centre is difficult to replace. I have no problem deeming edler as this team's no.1 defenceman for years to come. Weber may be the better player but kesler's the better fit on this team and has more value at this point.

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Kesler made Weber his ***** in round 2...so no.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
tesplen

Absolutely not. As others have said, value-wise Weber is probably worth more than Kesler, but from an organizational standpoint it would make no sense for the Canucks to trade away Kesler for a d-man right now.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
DoubleTrouble

no chance i would trade Kesler, He is a team guy and plays with heart

Also Webers cap hit is to high, for a team that takes less to play here.

So a BIG no on that trade

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Ernie

Weber may be the better player, but Kesler's cheap long term contract makes him more valuable than Weber.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Wisp

After thinking about it a bit, if Cody Hodgson is ready, I'd make that trade.

Long term, I'd prefer to have Weber.

Defensemen generally age much better then forwards do, and I don't the kind of game Kesler plays is one that will age well as he gets older.

(and i think the Sedins game will age much better as well).

Kesler is such a favourite of mine, this sucks to consider.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Tom.H

I have to admit that it was tempting to say yes. However, I have to say no mainly because I don't think it improves the team. In fact it just might take away from the over-all offense of the team.
Not to mention the fact that Kesler's contact is better for the team.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

I'm shocked that you would do this trade. It leaves us with a hole much bigger than the one it fixes.

do you remember the playoffs? This team had all kinds of trouble scoring WITH Kesler in the lineup.. It would be a disaster without him.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
it would be 100% worth it, just to see the flames fans faces when he lifts the cup in a canucks jersey
I agree itd be fun to watch their reaction.
But the cap structure would be all out of wack having Iginla as our top payed player. Only guys who can out produce the Sedins should be paid more than them.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'm shocked that you would do this trade. It leaves us with a hole much bigger than the one it fixes.

do you remember the playoffs? This team had all kinds of trouble scoring WITH Kesler in the lineup.. It would be a disaster without him.
yes I know how valuable Kesler is to the Canucks, and it would definitely hurt to lose him. But IMO franchise dman are next to impossible to get, and if you can get a player of Weber's calibre - like I said a young Chris Pronger who's already dominant and just starting to get into his prime years - I'd make that deal, granted you get that player long-term at below market value (which is what we have with Kesler).

Losing Kesler would hurt, but IMO it would still be a lot easier to build a dominant team without Kesler and with Weber than the other way around. Again moot point because you'd never get Weber at that type of contract, but if you could, I'd make that trade.

But like I said, I'd much rather wait 2 yrs till he's a UFA and try and build a team with both pieces.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
All Purpose Proposals Mashup

Nesmith

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 08-07-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:19 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I doubt Gillis trades a core player away. I believe him when he says he doesn't ask people to waive thier NTCs.

Now that the FA market has been picked over I think Gillis might be finished tinkering.

If I was Gillis and wanted to force a move, I'd dangle a former Moose in front of Winnipeg. They seem to have some guys unhappy about moving to Winnipeg.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
I'd say no to Kesler/Weber because of the hole it leaves in the Top 6 and the logjam we'd have on D.

I don't think I'd ever do it but if it was going to happen it would need to include someone like Colin Wilson/Hornqvist coming back.

Kesler
Ballard

for

Weber
Fisher/Wilson/Hornqvist

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Yeah like when Nashville, who arguably has the top d pairing in the NHL used them to match up to Kesler in the 2nd round
They did not.

They played against the Sedins and they shut them down completely outside of game three (three points combined in the other five games).

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
They did not.

They played against the Sedins and they shut them down completely outside of game three (three points combined in the other five games).
They started using that pairing more and more against Kesler as the series went on, because the Sedins were rendered completely ineffective even when matched up against the SOB pairing.

08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
They started using that pairing more and more against Kesler as the series went on, because the Sedins were rendered completely ineffective even when matched up against the SOB pairing.
This answer is the most correct. Sedins couldn't pick their spots on Rinne which is why they weren't scoring. It's also why they can't score in the playoffs against any other top 10 goalie in the league. They have next to nothing to give in the hard shot category.

If they go through another rough go in the playoffs again, you'd have to at least consider putting them on the second line in the playoffs. The only goalies they've lit up in their playoff career are Niemi and Quick.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote