HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
the point is that if an injury takes a major caps player out for the rest of the season, mcphee will have the flexibility to replace that player by way of a trade. lets say wideman goes down with a broken ankle. ltir will allow mcphee to acquire a defenseman at wideman's salary to replace him for the playoffs.

last season mcphee gave two center roster spots for developement with the idea that he could fill those slots with playoff veterans at the deadline if he needed to. johansson worked out while the fleischmann/perreault slot failed and arnott was brought in to fill that slot. as best i can tell, mcphee has every slot on the team filled with an established player and no need for deadline aquisitions as of today.

Old
08-06-2011, 11:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if you think ovechkin would flourish in nashville and that the payroll structure of that team could survive a $10m player, we will have to agree to disagree.
Just shows that you believe the payroll structure wouldn't change in Nashville, where I and others do. That's shortsighted IMO.

What was the payroll structure in DC before Ovechkin? Nashville would be in a different financial world if Ovy was there.

Old
08-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
if you think ovechkin would flourish in nashville and that the payroll structure of that team could survive a $10m player, we will have to agree to disagree.
Yes, because it's not like he signed his contract when the cap was 56 million... which is what Nashville is spending now.

Clearly it's impossible for any budget team to absorb the 4% payroll difference between him and Weber. Not like you can tack on two one million dollar plugs onto him such as O'Reilly and Geoffrion and still have a top end line.

Old
08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
the point is that if an injury takes a major caps player out for the rest of the season, mcphee will have the flexibility to replace that player by way of a trade. lets say wideman goes down with a broken ankle. ltir will allow mcphee to acquire a defenseman at wideman's salary to replace him for the playoffs.

last season mcphee gave two center roster spots for developement with the idea that he could fill those slots with playoff veterans at the deadline if he needed to. johansson worked out while the fleischmann/perreault slot failed and arnott was brought in to fill that slot. as best i can tell, mcphee has every slot on the team filled with an established player and no need for deadline aquisitions as of today.
There's still at least one roster spot that doesn't have an established player. Depending on where Laich plays, it's either 3C or a 4W. Boudreau and McPhee have made comments along the lines of Perreault, Sjogren, Eakin, and others competing for that open spot. Heck, even if Laich lines up at 3C, you could still argue that's not an established 3C in that role (as Laich has done a lot more to establish himself at LW than at C).

Old
08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
HTFN

I really think that Sjogren's style will allow him to excel if paired with some quality wingers, or players. Sjogren and Ward could do well together with a forechecking energy line, and he might turn into a 4th line gem with Halpern and Hendricks. I'd really like to see if they try him at Center, because I want to see him and Brouwer on the same line, maybe even with Semin.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
There's still at least one roster spot that doesn't have an established player. Depending on where Laich plays, it's either 3C or a 4W. Boudreau and McPhee have made comments along the lines of Perreault, Sjogren, Eakin, and others competing for that open spot. Heck, even if Laich lines up at 3C, you could still argue that's not an established 3C in that role (as Laich has done a lot more to establish himself at LW than at C).

If you look at the numbers, assuming Poti goes on LTIR, they have about 2m left for one player. We are 1.9m and change under the cap with 13F, 7D, 2G. So I can see them using the last roster spot on Eakin/Sjogren/etc until they determine what they have. It a bottom 6 role (could be top 6 if Laich plays 3C). 2m would fit the bill somewhere

Ovechkin- Backstrom - Knuble
Laich- MaJo- Semin
Brouwer- x - Ward
Chimera- Halpern- Hendricks
Beagle-King

Eakin or Sjogren could make the team and play that C role....or Laich could be there and then we need a cheap vet 2W (Stillman or Samsanov are who I'd like)

Ovechkin- Backstrom- Knuble
Stillman- Majo- Semin
Brower-Laich-Ward
Chimera-Halpern-Hendricks
Sjogren-Beagle

Old
08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
If you look at the numbers, assuming Poti goes on LTIR, they have about 2m left for one player. We are 1.9m and change under the cap with 13F, 7D, 2G. So I can see them using the last roster spot on Eakin/Sjogren/etc until they determine what they have. It a bottom 6 role (could be top 6 if Laich plays 3C). 2m would fit the bill somewhere

Ovechkin- Backstrom - Knuble
Laich- MaJo- Semin
Brouwer- x - Ward
Chimera- Halpern- Hendricks
Beagle-King

Eakin or Sjogren could make the team and play that C role....or Laich could be there and then we need a cheap vet 2W (Stillman or Samsanov are who I'd like)

Ovechkin- Backstrom- Knuble
Stillman- Majo- Semin
Brower-Laich-Ward
Sjogren-Beagle
Based on how McPhee talked about the Brouwer trade, I'm betting the organization views him as a Top 6 winger. Whether Boudreau puts him in that role is another question, but McPhee isn't about to go out and spend his last pennies to sign another winger unless someone gets hurt or really sucks. I think he's holding on to those few pennies as his "rainy day fund" for any problems that arise with the team so he can add one more player via small trade or waivers if the need arises.

Old
08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
txpd

i think the defininition of top 6 forward for brouwer can slide depending on the center. i think we are going to see a lot of movement in that area this season. laich may well get 2c and 3c time. johansson will get time at 1, 2 and 3c. if the 2nd line has laich at center with semin, it could well be that johansson is skating 3rd line. a johansson brouwer pairing on the 3rd line might bring more production than being the 3rd player on the second line.

i expect we will see a lot of 1c backstrom, 2c johansson, 3c halpern, 4c sjogren as well with laich on the wing. brouwer-halpern-ward could be a tough to play against playoff line

Old
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Based on how McPhee talked about the Brouwer trade, I'm betting the organization views him as a Top 6 winger. Whether Boudreau puts him in that role is another question, but McPhee isn't about to go out and spend his last pennies to sign another winger unless someone gets hurt or really sucks. I think he's holding on to those few pennies as his "rainy day fund" for any problems that arise with the team so he can add one more player via small trade or waivers if the need arises.
I'd like to see Brouwer play with Laich and Ward. Call it whatever line you want (2 or 3, I dont care).

Unless Sjogren or Eakin earn top 9 minutes out of camp, we need another top 9 forward to play with Majo and Semin (or Majo and Knuble, depending what we do with Semin).

Ovy-Backs-Semin
Brouwer-Laich-Ward
x - Majo-Knuble

Again, Eakin and Sjogren should be given every opportunity to make the team. Heck, even Chimera could be the 3LW and let Sjogren/Eakin skate with Halpern and Hendricks.

Lots of options, but I would feel better if we added Stillman at 1m for that 3LW. But that's just me.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
txpd

last i heard stillman was leaning toward retiring.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I'd like to see Brouwer play with Laich and Ward. Call it whatever line you want (2 or 3, I dont care).

Unless Sjogren or Eakin earn top 9 minutes out of camp, we need another top 9 forward to play with Majo and Semin (or Majo and Knuble, depending what we do with Semin).

Ovy-Backs-Semin
Brouwer-Laich-Ward
x - Majo-Knuble

Again, Eakin and Sjogren should be given every opportunity to make the team. Heck, even Chimera could be the 3LW and let Sjogren/Eakin skate with Halpern and Hendricks.

Lots of options, but I would feel better if we added Stillman at 1m for that 3LW. But that's just me.
Clearly McPhee doesn't feel the same way as you. If he felt there was an opening for a 2/3W, he would have signed one given his philosophy this off-season. Or even more to the point, he wouldn't have traded away Fehr. I wouldn't get my hopes up about the addition of a vet winger.

Beyond that, I don't think Brouwer-Laich-Ward would be a good scoring line by any stretch of the imagination. That's a #3 line, a real dump-and-chase and forecheck line. Nobody on that line is a great passer or playmaker. Offensively, all three of them are complimentary players, but none of them really compliment each other that well. Would rather put Brouwer or Laich in a chance to succeed at 2W, and have Chimera and/or Sjogren fill in on line 3.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Clearly McPhee doesn't feel the same way as you. If he felt there was an opening for a 2/3W, he would have signed one given his philosophy this off-season. Or even more to the point, he wouldn't have traded away Fehr. I wouldn't get my hopes up about the addition of a vet winger.

Beyond that, I don't think Brouwer-Laich-Ward would be a good scoring line by any stretch of the imagination. That's a #3 line, a real dump-and-chase and forecheck line. Nobody on that line is a great passer or playmaker. Offensively, all three of them are complimentary players, but none of them really compliment each other that well. Would rather put Brouwer or Laich in a chance to succeed at 2W, and have Chimera and/or Sjogren fill in on line 3.
Does he? There's still some bargains to be had out there and there will be some movement around the league as rosters shape into form come Sept. Fehr was a disappointment his whole career here. It seems to me that the team was simply ready to move on.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
txpd

i think you are right about fehr. i think you are less right about available bargains on the free agent market. i think you are even less right about roster movement from the open of camp to game 1. particularly where the caps are concerned.

Old
08-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Does he? There's still some bargains to be had out there and there will be some movement around the league as rosters shape into form come Sept. Fehr was a disappointment his whole career here. It seems to me that the team was simply ready to move on.
I'll put it a slightly different way. If it turns out we need a Cory Stillman-type player on this team, McPhee knows that we can get a player like that at the deadline. But he's going to see what we have first. No reason to lock yourself into a player like that and have even less cap flexibility than we do now.

Old
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
txpd

i thnk you miss what mcphee has been saying. he wants his playoff team in training camp. if he wants a veteran for the playoffs, mcphee wants that player on his roster at the start so that he can manage that player the way he wants to for the playoffs and not rely on the team he is buying from.

my read is that mcphee feels like arnott would have been more ready to play in the playoffs had he been on the team all season rather than trying to pull the devils out of a death spin. instead arnott needed knee surgery and was not close to 100% by the playoffs.

so...if mcphee wants a stillman for the playoffs, he is getting him now and not waiting.

Old
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

Am i the only one that likes that line? There has been too much talk and money for me to see laich as our 3C.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

Am i the only one that likes that line? There has been too much talk and money for me to see laich as our 3C.
I like Brouwer-Johansson-Semin more, but yeah.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i thnk you miss what mcphee has been saying. he wants his playoff team in training camp. if he wants a veteran for the playoffs, mcphee wants that player on his roster at the start so that he can manage that player the way he wants to for the playoffs and not rely on the team he is buying from.

my read is that mcphee feels like arnott would have been more ready to play in the playoffs had he been on the team all season rather than trying to pull the devils out of a death spin. instead arnott needed knee surgery and was not close to 100% by the playoffs.

so...if mcphee wants a stillman for the playoffs, he is getting him now and not waiting.
Where did you draw that conclusion from?

McPhee's most successful playoff teams have had IMPACT vets added at the deadline or during the season. I don't see him changing that tactic.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

I don't hate it that's for sure. Just concerned about Brooksie's ability to generate O on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I like Brouwer-Johansson-Semin more, but yeah.
I love the skill on that line. Hopefully Brouwer is there to kick Semin in the ass from time to time. I actually love Brooks as the 3c with Mojo in the 2c (just not at that price, but whatever). I think we'll see both guys rotated honestly depending on matchups and who is playing well.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

Would rather have Brooks in a defensive center role if we're using him as a center. His skillset matches up very well for that, less so as an offensive center. Put him on a shutdown line and let them play dump-and-chase offensively.

Brouwer - Johansson - Semin
Chimera/Sjogren - Laich - Ward

If Sjogren can handle the defensive load at the NHL level, I'd prefer him. If not, use Chimera's speed as a forechecking weapon in the dump-and-chase game. Let him generate havoc in the offensive zone that Laich and Ward can cash in on.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

RH...i like that line, but realistically who passes the puck to semin? on the rush neither of those two guys are remotely play makers. they are both fine chasers and retriever and they can finish around the net, but none of them can pass the puck in open ice.

Old
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

Said with such authority! Is that you, George?

And Myst, remind me again why Laich paired with Brouwer and Ward wouldnt make a good scoring line? You yourself think Brouwer is a top 6 player. You applauded Laich's 4m+ yearly contract, and that salary should make him squarely top 9. So would you rather he play wing (even though GMGM has said repeatedly he's playing centre, and you have such insight into his feelings?) with Majo, or have Majo as 3C? Why do you think those players don't compliment each other?

Either way, we need a top 9 forward if Sjogren and Eakin arent ready.

Old
08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Brouwer-Laich-Semin

If Brouwer is skilled, and Laich can centre Semin, then I dont understand why Laich cant centre Brouwer and Ward. I dont really care how you quantify lines numbers--#2, #3, #whatever. Those 3 would be fast, hit hard, grind out, and be able to draw a lot of penalities.

Majo is more than fast enough to play with Semin. I'd like a pass first winger (Stillman again) to play with them. Samsanov is the same (pass before shoot). Majo and vet winger can feed the puck to Semin (or Knuble?).

Old
08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Robert Theodorson

Laich-MoJo-Semin is the ideal 2nd line IMO

Grit, net crashing, crease cleanup / speed, vision, passing / speed, scoring

All of them can play a good two way game as well

Old
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Laich-MoJo-Semin is the ideal 2nd line IMO

Grit, net crashing, crease cleanup / speed, vision, passing / speed, scoring

All of them can play a good two way game as well
If Marcus Johansson proves that he can handle the rigors of the 2nd line C job I'll feel A LOT better about their prospects in April despite having J. Wellington Wimpy behind the bench.

Closed Thread