HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Mario in NHL 12!?!?!

Old
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
Mario in NHL 12!?!?!

Giddy, I am.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Oh my my.

Oh hell yes.

I might have to buy this one.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

I'm pretty sure this is just for the Be a Pro mode (Not a legends team with Mario, etc.).

Pretty much your road to becoming a legend in the NHL, beginning in the CHL, then to the AHL, then to the NHL.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Certified Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

That video gave like.. no information at all as to what it's about.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Dylonus

Why would Mario be a legend? He career only lasted for half of one season!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Gooch

The video didnt indicate anything.

Anyways I have ceased buying the NHL series as it has basically purposely held back from making it's game good so that it can have things to do the next following year. You essentially pay 60 dollars for a roster update and a feature or two included and a feature taken away.

The scouting and player development part of the game has been completely broken and there has been nothing to indicate that it has been fixed.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
The video didnt indicate anything.

Anyways I have ceased buying the NHL series as it has basically purposely held back from making it's game good so that it can have things to do the next following year. You essentially pay 60 dollars for a roster update and a feature or two included and a feature taken away.

The scouting and player development part of the game has been completely broken and there has been nothing to indicate that it has been fixed.
The player development and scouting have never been great but the development was ok last year I thought. You had CHLers actually hit their potential and progress but the problem was then they wanted 4M+ a year after a few years in the AHL which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

They claimed to fix that though which will be a very needed change. I just hope they fix UFA demands as well. Gets pretty silly to see elite players sitting as UFAs for seasons in a row. They need to fix their ridiculous inflation, which is a product of them raising the cap every season, and make contracts reflect production. I play Baseball Mogul on occasion and you'll see some lower 70s overall play who wants to get ****ing paid cause he just hit over 20 homers. I'd like to see UFAs who are coming off solid seasons actually had that reflected in their demands but like you said that'll probably take a few more years.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Maravilla

was that mario deking the bruins player who I assume is Ray Bourque?

would be great if they let you use players like Mario, Wayne, Bure, ect...every year i keep saying they should make legend players available to create more interest in the game because like one poster said every year you pay 60 bucks for a roster update

Maravilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Hmmm.

To buy...or not to buy....

That. Is the question....

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

How about they actually fix the gameplay. NHL each year adds pointless stuff. This year we get goalie fights and broken glass. The only redeeming addition is that goalies are live now...for 1 month. Then they'll patch it out. Do you remember when 11 came out? Penalties after whistles, slower game speed to actually play hockey instead of the 3-3 arcade one. That was gone quick. Pay $25 to play the game 3 days early? Instead of coming out with a new game every year, it should be released every 2 or 3. Charge maybe $30 for the roster and annual updates/patches.

My team has been together for 3 years, and was usually slightly above .500 (yes we suck). Over the past few months, we lose games with the other team getting 4 goals on 6 shots, while we completely outplay them. If it's a cpu goalie, we get boned on the toe drag. If we have our human goalie, pucks go through the back of the net, wristers from the point that get deflected 3 times They always get all the loose pucks. My guy has 90 offensive awareness, 90 puck control, and 85 hand-eye, yet I can never pick up a loose puck. My biggest strength was passing, and now when I drop it to the right point, it goes behind their net.

Sorry guys, I'm done venting.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maravilla View Post
was that mario deking the bruins player who I assume is Ray Bourque?

would be great if they let you use players like Mario, Wayne, Bure, ect...every year i keep saying they should make legend players available to create more interest in the game because like one poster said every year you pay 60 bucks for a roster update
I think most play online, so it wouldn't matter. You could always make those guys up in create a player anyways. Did anyone really use the Habs' centennial team?

Old
08-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Maravilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
I think most play online, so it wouldn't matter. You could always make those guys up in create a player anyways. Did anyone really use the Habs' centennial team?
creating it on your own isnt the same as getting it authentically done by EA. I loved using the centennial team...

I would smoke anyone online hehe

Old
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
That video gave like.. no information at all as to what it's about.

I saw some people mention it on twitter and was like neat, can't wait to see the pictures like they had from the Winter Classic part, then I saw the video.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
creating it on your own isnt the same as getting it authentically done by EA. I loved using the centennial team...

Lemmie guess. Your 12, player is black with blond hair, has a pink visor, you have 2000 more goals than assists, and your gamertag is IxD4NGLEZ4D4TYZUKxI.

Last edited by Long Duk Dong: 08-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Maravilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
Lemmie guess. Your 12, player is black with blond hair, has a pink visor, you have 2000 more goals than assists, and your gamertag is IxD4NGLEZ4D4TYZUKxI.

im twice that age, my player is black with blonde hair has no visor and big helmet. and yes i have a boat load of goals

Old
08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
TopShelfGoal

I have a wii and I won't even consider buying it.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:46 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

My online team is usually very good... we won the elite championship thing several times.

Ill buy 12 because I always buy it regardless

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post
I have a wii and I won't even consider buying it.
Wii usually only gets the watered down EA NHL Slapshot version anyways.

2k Sports not making a hockey game this year pretty much ruins any hopes for Wii players.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Gooch

Quote:
im twice that age, my player is black with blonde hair has no visor and big helmet. and yes i have a boat load of goals
I always lol at stereotypes when they're true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
The player development and scouting have never been great but the development was ok last year I thought. You had CHLers actually hit their potential and progress but the problem was then they wanted 4M+ a year after a few years in the AHL which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

They claimed to fix that though which will be a very needed change. I just hope they fix UFA demands as well. Gets pretty silly to see elite players sitting as UFAs for seasons in a row. They need to fix their ridiculous inflation, which is a product of them raising the cap every season, and make contracts reflect production. I play Baseball Mogul on occasion and you'll see some lower 70s overall play who wants to get ****ing paid cause he just hit over 20 homers. I'd like to see UFAs who are coming off solid seasons actually had that reflected in their demands but like you said that'll probably take a few more years.
When I say player progression I mean players that can bust and players that seemingly come out of nowhere to become good players. That is solid player development to me and creates realism, as far as I know the EA series doesnt have something like that, it merely has a hard potential rating and basically attribute points are based off of that.

The scouting system is what really pisses me off the most though as drafting in most of these sports games is one of the most enjoyable aspects for me. In the NHL series it is always the weakest part. For one, when you scout all it shows you is current ratings and nothing about what their potential is... to me that defeats the whole purpose of scouting. They also have weirdo's from all over the world in non hockey countries constantly becoming good players. It just doesnt make sense.

When a game like EHM is able to do it right and it was able to do it right over 6-7 years ago with a whole lot less money and effort behind it then to me it's just about EA being lazy.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:

>authentically done
>done by EA

Choose one.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

I stand corrected. It appears there will be a legends team in the game, and Mario will be one of them. So does that mean we can move Mario over the current Pens roster, and trade for Jagr??? Sid, Geno, Mario, Jagr?

In any case, I pre-ordered this game about 3 weeks ago through amazon for my 360.

Got it for 30 bucks with free shipping, had some amazon credit. Excited to play this game.

Certified Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
When I say player progression I mean players that can bust and players that seemingly come out of nowhere to become good players. That is solid player development to me and creates realism, as far as I know the EA series doesnt have something like that, it merely has a hard potential rating and basically attribute points are based off of that.

The scouting system is what really pisses me off the most though as drafting in most of these sports games is one of the most enjoyable aspects for me. In the NHL series it is always the weakest part. For one, when you scout all it shows you is current ratings and nothing about what their potential is... to me that defeats the whole purpose of scouting. They also have weirdo's from all over the world in non hockey countries constantly becoming good players. It just doesnt make sense.

When a game like EHM is able to do it right and it was able to do it right over 6-7 years ago with a whole lot less money and effort behind it then to me it's just about EA being lazy.
They fixed most all of this for 11 and will only improve upon it for 12.

The potential was adjusted for 10 and tweaked more for 11. Perfect example I drafted sven baertschi in my NHL 11 dyansty as a b-, c-, b- potential in off, def, and athletics respectively. 2 years later he's now a-,c-,a- and is a 76 overall.

The reason his potential went up is because I have my assistant coach upgraded to nearly the max. This is what most people who complain about the development system don't understand, even as far back as 09'. If you say "I want player x to work on skating" and you only see his defensive ratings going up, it's not the game, it's the fact that your assistant coach isn't upgraded and that affects how accurately a player follows your training.

Regarding scouting and potential I think it's pretty real, for a video game. Players who end up ranked in the 1st round have the highest chances for good potential, and as you go down rounds so do players potential. Why would the game give you potential ratings when everyone would just draft all those high potential guys first regardless of how terrible they were? By giving you just a players current ratings (again based on your amature scouts level you get more accurate ratings) it forces you to actually choose players whose skillsets you want and actually "scout" the players rather than just take the best "potential" guy every time. If they don't pan they don't pan, just like real life. And knowing that potential ratings can change based on how well you've leveled up your assistant coach you actually can "develope" players by giving them lots of ice time in the minors and giving them call-ups, like I did with Sven in my dynasty.

Personally I think the system works quite well, everyone just either forgets to upgrade their coaches and scouts, doesn't know how to, or are too lazy to earn the points to do it.

It's a complex algorythm or whatever. A prospects ice time, production, call ups, playoff production, and the level of your assistant coach all affect the players ability to progress in varying degrees depending on the amount of each. I usually try to get a rookie I really like at least 10 NHL games his first pro/AHL season, just because it seems to really boost development. As does calling AHL players up to your roster for NHL playoff games.

Last edited by sina220*: 08-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

I just pre-ordered it from amazon, And got the $20 credit. I already had some credit though so I ended up only paying 10 bucks for it. I have NHL 10 right now so I'm most looking forward to the updated roster & the live goalies. Amazon says that I should get it on the 16th

Kruncher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

If Mario and other Legends are int it, they should just be absolutely ridiculous.

it's really dumb how every player in the NHL series play the same way and you can barely tell how much better the best players are than everyone else.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Double flawless victory and a fatality means you get to play against Mario.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote