HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Desharnais scoring touch work in the NHL?

Old
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think DD has some flaws in his game that will prevent him to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level, I see him more like a quality filler than a kid destined to establish himself as a solid NHLer.. He will put some pts on the scoresheet, but will be scored against too when he is on the ice.. You can print this post if you desagree with but Im pretty sure Im bang on here..
I think he puts around 40 pts on the board if he gets some decent PP time and is playing with Eller and Kostitsyn and not Moen/White. His vision is great, he works hard and just finds ways to put points on the board, I don't know what his NHL future holds but I've never to never discount him again.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
I get the whole "keeping a cool head" and "staying conservative" thing, but come on: 45 pts absolutely fantastic? That's essentially what he did last season (over 82 games)

It's all about ice-time and the skill level of his linemates. If we're looking at DD-Eller-AK for most of the season and some PP time, I don't see why we wouldn't EXPECT 0.5-0.7 ppg
Its alot to ask from a probable third liner who will probably spend some time in the pressbox.. But I could see DD getting some PP time, where the kid is at his best, so 40-45 pts isnt impossible but unlikely, I would be extremmely happy with those numbers.. Personally Im expecting about 30-35 pts..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
I get the whole "keeping a cool head" and "staying conservative" thing, but come on: 45 pts absolutely fantastic? That's essentially what he did last season (over 82 games)

It's all about ice-time and the skill level of his linemates. If we're looking at DD-Eller-AK for most of the season and some PP time, I don't see why we wouldn't EXPECT 0.5-0.7 ppg
Last year he was 7th on the PP depth chart and he'll likely be around the same or lower this year with the emergence of Cole.

Also Eller only had 1 more point than Moen last year. There is no guarantee that Eller is going to light it up this year. 25-30 points would be a realistic projection for Eller, which would put DD in the same 40 point range. He isn't going to get a tonne of top 6 minutes or PP time unless we have a couple of injuries.

Can you name me 5 3rd liners that got 0.5 PPG last year? I can't think of any. Most 2nd liners don't even get a 0.5 PPG pace.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Last year he was 7th on the PP depth chart and he'll likely be around the same or lower this year with the emergence of Cole.

Also Eller only had 1 more point than Moen last year. There is no guarantee that Eller is going to light it up this year. 25-30 points would be a realistic projection for Eller, which would put DD in the same 40 point range. He isn't going to get a tonne of top 6 minutes or PP time unless we have a couple of injuries.

Can you name me 5 3rd liners that got 0.5 PPG last year? I can't think of any. Most 2nd liners don't even get a 0.5 PPG pace.
Peverley, Ryder, Ennis, Stafford, Glencross, Raymond, Stalberg, Holmstrom, Steen, Couture, Comeau, Stepan, Leino, Briere, Downie

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Peverley, Ryder, Ennis, Stafford, Glencross, Raymond, Stalberg, Holmstrom, Steen, Couture, Comeau, Stepan, Leino, Briere, Downie
Yeah, that's the point. He is not as good as any of those, yet. Maybe ever.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Every player on this list spent considerable time playing in the top six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
He is definitely better than Stalberg and I would personally take DD over Ryder. Ryder plays well in 20 games per season and is a liability for the remaining 60.

Last edited by Mike8: 08-04-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: merge
Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:18 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Ryder plays well in 20 games per season and is a liability for the remaining 60.
But he still has a Cup, the effer. . .

God I hate the Ruins

The ONLY positive thing about them winning the Cup was that they won't this coming season

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Every player on this list spent considerable time playing in the top six.

He is definitely better than Stalberg and I would personally take DD over Ryder. Ryder plays well in 20 games per season and is a liability for the remaining 60.
Didnt you see Ryder play in the playoffs? Couldnt believe it was him.. He had his word to say in that Stanley cup run.. But I still think he is inconsistent and needs to be pushed everytime..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I never said he was. The challenge was finding "3rd" liners with 0.5 ppg, so I came up with that list.

The point is, with the right linemates and enough ice-time, there's no reason he shouldn't improve on last year's numbers. And if he falls short, it will not be for lack of skill or questionable work ethic

Old
08-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I never said he was. The challenge was finding "3rd" liners with 0.5 ppg, so I came up with that list.

The point is, with the right linemates and enough ice-time, there's no reason he shouldn't improve on last year's numbers. And if he falls short, it will not be for lack of skill or questionable work ethic
Power play time tends to be a bigger factor than talent for these types of players though. I think that with bottom six-ice time Desharnais would probably be around of 1.8 points per 60 minutes even strength for about 10 minutes of ES ice time a game for about 25 ES points over 82 games. If he plays serious top nine minutes and gets 13 ES min per game then it goes up to the lower 30s.

Getting more than that will depend on either winning a permanent role on the power play or rising in the depth charts, which is doable for DD but difficult considering the talent above him.He's good on the PP so could net another 15 points to reach 40 over the season if he had a regular job on one of the 2 units.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Asamu

I made some videos subbed in English when David was invited at l'Antichambre 2 months ago so if you want to check it out:

Part 1 Part 2

In addition, you can see Mathieu Darche's interview (He talks about DD):

Part 1 Part 2

I almost forgot; Desharnais will score about 40pts next season. I see a lot of Derek Roy in him ^^.

Last edited by Asamu: 08-05-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Killer Sharkz

vCash: 515
David Desharnais

Got to see him play a few times last year and liked what I saw...just wanted to know more about him...where do you guys see his ceiling?

Killer Sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Sharkz View Post
Got to see him play a few times last year and liked what I saw...just wanted to know more about him...where do you guys see his ceiling?
Some see his ceiling as being an 80pt guy in the mold of Marty St. Louis.

Others see him as a solid 3rd liner with potential to step up and play a 2nd line role if possible.

A lot of people don't see the hype at all.

You won't find any definitive answer here

Personally I think he can be a 40pt guy, maybe 50 in a good year. Size will definitely hold him back a little bit.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Others see him as a solid 3rd liner with potential to step up and play a 2nd line role if possible.

A lot of people don't see the hype at all.

You won't find any definitive answer here

Personally I think he can be a 40pt guy, maybe 50 in a good year. Size will definitely hold him back a little bit.
I don't think its delusional to say the guys ceiling is 70 points if he has pp and top 6 minutes. The guy is small but he is gifted. The guy is already better than gomez imo. He has put up great numbers in every league he has played in and already showed that he can put up points in the nhl with limited time. The guy is a beast and we have something special with him.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Sharkz View Post
Ceiling: 45-55 pts - not a liability on defense - needs to play with big linemates. I see him as a bad centre but a creative and speedy playmaking winger. Pretty poor man's St Louis.

The points prediction is a little early since this was his 1st half-season in the NHL.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:45 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Ceiling: 45-55 pts - not a liability on defense - needs to play with big linemates. I see him as a bad centre but a creative and speedy playmaking winger. Pretty poor man's St Louis.

The points prediction is a little early since this was his 1st half-season in the NHL.
I love how all the comparisons are with players of similar size, even though their playing styles aren't even remotely similar.

PK Subban reminds me of Fred Brathwaite, Wayne Simmonds, Joel Ward and Iginla. See how foolish that looks?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I don't think you know what 3rd liners are.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
ageed.

Stafford-Holmstrom-Downie = first liner last year

Raymond-Ennis-Steen-Couture-Comeau-Briere-Leino-Stepan-Glencross= Second liner

Ryder-Peverley(2nd in Atlanta)-Stalberg= 3rd liner

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
otto bond

Desharnais may be short but the guy has the vision, smarts and heart of the elite.
Whether he translate his game in the pros is yet to be known but it's looking like he will. The only thing I see stopping him is health. Can he stay injury free for the most part and avoid serious ones?
Next year if given PP time, I see him hitting the 40pts plateau but in a few years, this guy is gonna be a PPG player....like he's been every where he's played.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
All the players I listed spent some time on the 3rd or 4th lines last season (in fact most ended the season on the 3rd or even the 4th line). Whether their point production warranted extended stints in the top 6 is a different story

Is your definition of 3rd liner bottom-6 production, or playing on the bottom 2 lines? Mine is the latter

Old
08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I love how all the comparisons are with players of similar size, even though their playing styles aren't even remotely similar.

PK Subban reminds me of Fred Brathwaite, Wayne Simmonds, Joel Ward and Iginla. See how foolish that looks?
Actually he's a lot like St Louis. Forget that he's undrafted too. He's a hard-working shifty playmaker who has a decent shot. The difference is that MSL's hockey sense and speed is on another level.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't know what's funny about it, that is his ceiling. He's been able to fight threw his size issues at every level yet cause he knows how to keep himself open for a play and has enough passing skills and vision to set up his own plays.

If our 3rd line does end up being DD- Eller- Kostitsyn, it will be absolute dynamite, it's the type of 3rd line that will make us win the 4-5 games we don't deserve cause our top 6 flat out sucked. It's with guys like him and Eller that we could end up 2nd or 3rd in the conference.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

There is no doubt in my mind that Desharnais will be a star in the NHL.

He's like the P.K Subban of our fowards, he plays with confidence and his skill is eye-piercing when he's on the ice.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I don't think its delusional to say the guys ceiling is 70 points if he has pp and top 6 minutes. The guy is small but he is gifted. The guy is already better than gomez imo. He has put up great numbers in every league he has played in and already showed that he can put up points in the nhl with limited time. The guy is a beast and we have something special with him.
The same thing has happened in the past with Higgins and Pouliot. Not saying neither can't eventually become 70pt guys either (doubt it) but for one I said 80pt. For two the guy has proven nothing and I won't say it's delusional to think he could become a 70pt guy but I will say it's delusional to say he's better than Gomez right now. For one he played better on the wing than center thus far. For two he never played top opposition, at least not consistently. He's proven nothing. Now will he be better than Gomez or a St. Louis in the future? Anything is possible. He has shown some promise don't get me wrong I like DD. I just find the homer vote goes a little too far with the guy. Let him develop, if he's a 50pt guy it's still awesome. If he's an 80pt guy that would be legit ****. Management would look like geniuses... what are the odds? (In my opinion they look pretty smart already getting Darche. This guy is a legit 3rd line winger in my opinion. So in the sense that both have proven little as of yet but I also have a similar feel about Darche being a 3rd liner, I can at least understand where you're coming from. You see something magical in DD)

But yes for now 70-80pt guy is a bit of a stretch. Not saying it won't happen but a lot of people here who think DD is going to be an 80pt guy think Darche is a #13 still. Guess we'll have to wait until the season begins before we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I don't know what's funny about it, that is his ceiling. He's been able to fight threw his size issues at every level yet cause he knows how to keep himself open for a play and has enough passing skills and vision to set up his own plays.

If our 3rd line does end up being DD- Eller- Kostitsyn, it will be absolute dynamite, it's the type of 3rd line that will make us win the 4-5 games we don't deserve cause our top 6 flat out sucked. It's with guys like him and Eller that we could end up 2nd or 3rd in the conference.
Let the guy play a season or two first before assuming he's a guaranteed 80pt guy. I've seen similar production from Higgins and Pouliot in terms of skill and points per game. Then those guys disappeared. I'm not saying DD will be like them he seems to have it right in between the ears. But you never know. The guy played a season. It isn't like he's some dude who over 3 seasons doubled his production each year. We have a very small sample size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
ageed.

Stafford-Holmstrom-Downie = first liner last year

Raymond-Ennis-Steen-Couture-Comeau-Briere-Leino-Stepan-Glencross= Second liner

Ryder-Peverley(2nd in Atlanta)-Stalberg= 3rd liner
Yeah just cause 3-4 teams in the league have the luxury of having a Briere on the 3rd line doesn't make him not a legit 1st line player. 2nd liner on a stacked team, 3rd liner on a ridiculous team. Boston and Philly had ridiculous top 9s last year, and at deadline ours could look similar. But those guys are all at least 2nd liners LOL. Okay Stralberg isn't agreed on pretty much all but Briere, he can easily play on our stacked 1st line. We aren't quite at the fully overpowered top 9 yet but we're in a position to be able to be.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Ubercron9000

The guy is competetive and talented. Pouliot imo didn't seem like a guy that would compete every single game. I also thought higgins would turnout to be a big guy for us, although I did notice he was unlucky or could not finish. Though higgins does not have near the talent that dd has in terms of hockey sense, positioning and passing skills.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote