HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds sign Jack Hillen

Old
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 182
Preds sign Jack Hillen

1 year, two way for 650k

http://twitter.com/#!/mirtle/status/100674033019920386

Terrific depth signing IMO. Was waiting for him to get signed, I didn't think it would take this long for him and thought he'd get a one way deal too.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
FINALLY! Our top 6 winger has arrived!

(Just ignore me as I live in my fantasy world where we sign more than defensemen on two way deals )

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Better than Lebderp

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

wonder if he'll actually play here?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think he might until Bouillon is healthy. We'll see how camp goes.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think he's Bouillon insurance. Little risk, high-reward. Very underrated, very mobile defenseman, good offensive instincts, plays a simple and effective defensive game. Undersized though and can get pushed around by bigger forwards...

Hillen stands a better chance of seeing time in Nashville than Sloan does...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
FINALLY! Our top 6 winger has arrived!

(Just ignore me as I live in my fantasy world where we sign more than defensemen on two way deals )
Bwhaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Shea is closer and closer to a long term deal now.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I actually picked up Hillen on my fantasy team last year. He puts up numbers all across the board. Of course I've only actually seen him play a handful of times

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

You guys got a very solid two way bottom pair dman...He skates Low to the use and is fluid....good guy to....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
StumpNYI

I liked Hillen a lot. I wish we kept him for depth. His biggest downside is his size as he is not physical at all. But the guy can skate and is pretty good at bringing the puck through the neutral zone. Excellent depth signing you guys will like him when a call up is needed.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Good signing, much better than the Sloan signing. Haven't seen this mentioned, but Hillen played for USA at the world champs this past spring and showed well. Wit Poile and Fenton's deep involvement in team USA, the likely liked what they saw.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The cupboard in Milwaukee took a hit this summer with a few of the vet d-men moving on in free agency. This move and the Sloan signing just give the Ads a couple more guys for the season and if they happen to crack the Preds roster, so be it. It's now Hillen, Laakso, Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm competing for the 5-7 positions on the Preds roster.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:34 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The cupboard in Milwaukee took a hit this summer with a few of the vet d-men moving on in free agency. This move and the Sloan signing just give the Ads a couple more guys for the season and if they happen to crack the Preds roster, so be it. It's now Hillen, Laakso, Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm competing for the 5-7 positions on the Preds roster.
The Ads should have a decent defensive core then.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

funny, I see Nashville bringing in a lot of vet D presence right at the talent/roster spot level of Ryan Ellis or Roman Josi. Possible trade of either?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
funny, I see Nashville bringing in a lot of vet D presence right at the talent/roster spot level of Ryan Ellis or Roman Josi. Possible trade of either?
I don't think so. Hillen is Bouillon insurance and likely pushes Laakso for the No. 7 spot if/when Frankie is healthy. Sloan was signed to play in Milwaukee and replace Aaron Johnson on the depth chart. Lebda was never in the equation and was simply a cheaper buyout than Lombardi was.

Who else do you see being brought in? If Ekholm doesn't make the roster out of camp he has the option of heading back to the SEL for the season. I'm not sure where you think this depth is coming from?

We seem to have 1-2 spots open for maybe 4 guys. Injuries will occur over the course of the season, depth is critical to being successful over an 82 game stretch and hopefully late into the summer...

Old
08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Seth Lake

Who's looking to play where?

Nashville
Shea Weber
Ryan Suter
Kevin Klein
Jon Blum
Francois Bouillon (IR?)
Jack Hillen
Ryan Ellis
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Teemu Laakso

Milwaukee
Scott Ford
Blake Sloan
Victor Bartley
Jeff Foss
Jack Hillen
Teemu Laakso
Ryan Ellis
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm (SEL clause)
Charles-Olivier Roussel
Taylor Aronson (can be returned to WHL)

Players listed in italics will sort out in training camp and throughout the season...

Old
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I don't think so. Hillen is Bouillon insurance and likely pushes Laakso for the No. 7 spot if/when Frankie is healthy. Sloan was signed to play in Milwaukee and replace Aaron Johnson on the depth chart. Lebda was never in the equation and was simply a cheaper buyout than Lombardi was.

Who else do you see being brought in? If Ekholm doesn't make the roster out of camp he has the option of heading back to the SEL for the season. I'm not sure where you think this depth is coming from?

We seem to have 1-2 spots open for maybe 4 guys. Injuries will occur over the course of the season, depth is critical to being successful over an 82 game stretch and hopefully late into the summer...

I see it as this.

1) If the Preds are to make a move for a T6 forward they will have to move prospects Where is Nashville's strength? Defensemen. Where will the cost be paid for that? In the defenseman position.

2) I truely believe that it will be a package of prospects to upgrade a current forward. Yes most say that the Preds don't have enough T6 forwards as is BUT they need an upgrade more than numbers. I would not be surprised to see Colin Wilson being the main part of an upgrade of his spot on the roster.

The signings give not only the depth needed to keep up with injuries but also be flexable to make moves.

Old
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I see it as this.

1) If the Preds are to make a move for a T6 forward they will have to move prospects Where is Nashville's strength? Defensemen. Where will the cost be paid for that? In the defenseman position.

2) I truely believe that it will be a package of prospects to upgrade a current forward. Yes most say that the Preds don't have enough T6 forwards as is BUT they need an upgrade more than numbers. I would not be surprised to see Colin Wilson being the main part of an upgrade of his spot on the roster.

The signings give not only the depth needed to keep up with injuries but also be flexable to make moves.
Who says that? I think we're a minimum of 1 legitimate, proven top-6 (preferably top-3) forward from being a contender entering the season...

I agree that it'll likely be a package of picks and prospects, but also agree that Colin Wilson and/or Ryan Suter will be used as trade bait to acquire said piece. Preferably it is not Suter, but realistically sometimes you have to give to get and acquiring a player of that level is going to hurt.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't necessarily see either Ellis or Josi being our prime trade assets at this moment...

Old
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Who says that? I think we're a minimum of 1 legitimate, proven top-6 (preferably top-3) forward from being a contender entering the season...

I agree that it'll likely be a package of picks and prospects, but also agree that Colin Wilson and/or Ryan Suter will be used as trade bait to acquire said piece. Preferably it is not Suter, but realistically sometimes you have to give to get and acquiring a player of that level is going to hurt.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't necessarily see either Ellis or Josi being our prime trade assets at this moment...
Could be Blum. Could be Ellis. Could be Suter. i see GMDP adding assets in the Defenseman position to make a move. Ellis and Josi would seem to be the sexy (Cheap) options. Weber and Suter the sexy (Expensive) options.