HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would your final moves be?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
  #426
Ketzlaf
Registered User
 
Ketzlaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
What about John Erskine as a 5th or 6th defenseman? He brings toughness, playoff experience, size, grit and a mean streak to Montreal.

Add Brad Winchester as a 4th line winger.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
Winchester - White - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Erskine - Emelin
Spacek
Weber

Price
Budaj

Play the Winchester - White - Moen line against the goons and dirty players on other teams and keep them honest.

Erskine add's toughness, depth and a mean streak on defense, alternate the 6'4'' beast with Spacek and/or Weber.
Darche will not be the 13th forward. He earned the right to be a regular.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
  #427
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Darche will not be the 13th forward. He earned the right to be a regular.
Sometimes I wonder if people even watched the games or if they just look at Darche's age, remember the label of him being #13 and just assume.

The guy had 3rd liner pace last season with less minutes than most people on our team. Pretty sure that makes you at least a #12.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:04 AM
  #428
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
How do you know he hasn't been offered a contract yet?

I don't know the status of his injuries, neither do you.

And anyways, its just an idea, there are other experienced 4th line options as well.

You seem to be making every single one of your arguments from ignorance.


If you love Drury so much, then.... How can I argue with a lover who can't interpret the obvious signs.

The guy is old, small and injured. geez... And he is not signed yet.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:08 AM
  #429
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post


If you love Drury so much, then.... How can I argue with a lover who can't interpret the obvious signs.

The guy is old, small and injured. geez... And he is not signed yet.
What are you even trying to say?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:09 AM
  #430
THEREW
Registered User
 
THEREW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people even watched the games or if they just look at Darche's age, remember the label of him being #13 and just assume.

The guy had 3rd liner pace last season with less minutes than most people on our team. Pretty sure that makes you at least a #12.
Darche will get the Bégin treatment. Play 60 games easily and be the odd man out when all of the 10th, 11th, 12th(13th) players are playing good and everyone is healthy.

Darche will play on the 3rd line most of the season. Book it

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
  #431
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Darche will not be the 13th forward. He earned the right to be a regular.
What are you talking about, Darche is the perfect 13th forward.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
  #432
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people even watched the games or if they just look at Darche's age, remember the label of him being #13 and just assume.

The guy had 3rd liner pace last season with less minutes than most people on our team. Pretty sure that makes you at least a #12.
Guys like Darche don't get guaranteed spots unless they are well established in the NHL, which he is not.
He played really well last year, more so than the previous season. It will be up to him to keep fighting and playing well to earn his spot. If his play drops slightly, he will quickly find himself watching from the press box, which is entirely normal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:14 AM
  #433
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Guys like Darche don't get guaranteed spots unless they are well established in the NHL, which he is not.
He played really well last year, more so than the previous season. It will be up to him to keep fighting and playing well to earn his spot. If his play drops slightly, he will quickly find himself watching from the press box, which is entirely normal.
Well-said kriss. I don't think darche is assured anything, nor should he be.


Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 08-09-2011 at 05:37 AM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:18 AM
  #434
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,472
vCash: 500
I think AK does a deliberately slow thing, but look at him here from the left side. Maybe we should move him back over? From the right side, his feet aren't dazzling anyone and he doesn't win any board battles in the offensive zone. I know our coach doesn't mind trampling if we can win, but it's the creativity I wonder about (from the coach and his understanding of offensive tactics). After all, he loaded up against Anaheim's Prongermayer/etc. That was dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MQo...eature=related

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:20 AM
  #435
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Guys like Darche don't get guaranteed spots unless they are well established in the NHL, which he is not.
He played really well last year, more so than the previous season. It will be up to him to keep fighting and playing well to earn his spot. If his play drops slightly, he will quickly find himself watching from the press box, which is entirely normal.
Not in agreement. Darche earned his spot. He knows his role and what is expected. I don't see him as a guy who will forget the bus rides or let the money go to his head. He has a couple kids too. And he wants a future in management he's said. That means he has to show it on the ice. I expect him to be a similar player. Nothing more, nothing less.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:10 AM
  #436
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Not in agreement. Darche earned his spot. He knows his role and what is expected. I don't see him as a guy who will forget the bus rides or let the money go to his head. He has a couple kids too. And he wants a future in management he's said. That means he has to show it on the ice. I expect him to be a similar player. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yes but he has to still earn it, he doesn't have enoug talent to slack off and get a free pass for 10 games like AK for example can get away with or GomerPile.

He has to constantly earn his roster spot because there are plenty of guys of equal or greater skill in the AHL wanting his job.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
  #437
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Darche is a very valuable guy to have around.

He can play both wings on any of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th line when required. And he is playing his heart out.

He seems to be a good teamate.

He won't complain if he is not dressed for a game.

And he is cheap on top of that.

Right now, the Habs have only 12 NHL ready forwards, and he is one of them. I don't think that Engqvist, Blunden or Palushaj can take a job from him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
  #438
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-White-Darche
Enqvist

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Weber/Emelin
Emelin/Weber

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Subban-Markov

Pacioretty-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Weber-Spacek

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
  #439
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-White-Darche
Enqvist

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Weber/Emelin
Emelin/Weber

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Subban-Markov

Pacioretty-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Weber-Spacek
this except hopefully Emelin earns higher

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
  #440
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Darche is a very valuable guy to have around.

He can play both wings on any of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th line when required. And he is playing his heart out.

He seems to be a good teamate.

He won't complain if he is not dressed for a game.

And he is cheap on top of that.

Right now, the Habs have only 12 NHL ready forwards, and he is one of them. I don't think that Engqvist, Blunden or Palushaj can take a job from him.
Great guy to have, and he goes to the NET...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
  #441
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-White-Darche
Enqvist

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Weber/Emelin
Emelin/Weber
Weird, I was just creating an Excel spreadsheet with almost those exact lines (because I'm not 100% sure on some of the 3rd/4th line's natural positions). I had:

Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn
Darche - Desharnais - White

Then Enqvist and Palushaj as the extra guys getting call ups.

Decided to make some predictions on their GP/G/A/P and made a nice sheet to keep track of it so I can go year to year if I want. Working so hard on a Friday

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
  #442
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
Montreal is done, the other thing I see them (or hoping to see them) doing is signing Hannan to a cheap one year contract in September or even going after Madden or Winchester for the 4th line.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:34 AM
  #443
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
I was just thinking, considering that training camp is a month away (exactly) why not sign Madden and Erskine both to one year deals at $1,000,000.00 each? That would leave us with 4.14 million dollars of cap space going into the season (as per NHLNUMBERS.com).

So...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
White - Madden - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Erskine - Emelin
Spacek
Weber

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
  #444
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I was just thinking, considering that training camp is a month away (exactly) why not sign Madden and Erskine both to one year deals at $1,000,000.00 each? That would leave us with 4.14 million dollars of cap space going into the season (as per NHLNUMBERS.com).

So...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
White - Madden - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Erskine - Emelin
Spacek
Weber

Price
Budaj
Assuming Spacek is healthy, I don't think Erskine is necessary as Spacek is the better defenseman. They were about the same on the ice but Spacek had to face the tougher opposition. I'm confident with of Weber's ability to step into the bottom pairing and Emelin being at least a bottom-pairing guy who can play either side. If the Habs were to make a move for a defenseman I would hope it would be a top-4 guy.

Madden would be a nice guy to have though. Won't hurt you defensively on the 4th line and such. Pisani, if he isn't planning on retiring, wouldn't be a bad guy for that 12th/13th forward role either.


I guess I may as well chime in on what I'd do. Realistically (no major moves) all I want is for Gauthier to sign Pisani (or Madden... or another reliable defensive 4th-line forward) to a 1-year $750,000 deal to fill out the forwards and then go with what the Habs have. I do have a wrinkle on the lineup for the forward though:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole
Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Moen
Darche-Desharnais-Pisani
White

Keep Plekanec in his tough-minutes role against the opposition best which he's done well with for the past few years. Cole played that same role in Carolina and Kostitsyn has done just fine at both ends with that type of play.

The Gomez line would be used in a manner similar (though not as extreme) as the Sedins in Vancouver. A lot of offensive zone-faceoffs in order to have ample opportunity to get scoring chances and shots on goal. With Cammalleri and Gionta having great shots it could work out well. Cammalleri's shot-rate took a dip on the Plekanec line last season but if you give him easier minutes with more offensive opportunities he should re-find his counting stat form. Pumping up Gomez' counting stats (beyond what he will probably get from an on-ice shooting % regression toward the mean) could make him a more valuable trade asset next off-season.

Moen on the 3rd line to help insulate Eller's increased (again) defensive responsibilities... ideally you want Eller ready to replace Gomez for 2012-13 so you can have room to improve the team elsewhere.

The Desharnais line continues to dominate 4th-lines laden with goons. As weird as it sounds, the Habs had an elite 4th line once Desharnais settled in last season and I love the idea of having that for a full season.


Last edited by Roke: 08-15-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
  #445
Milosch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 44
vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I was just thinking, considering that training camp is a month away (exactly) why not sign Madden and Erskine both to one year deals at $1,000,000.00 each? That would leave us with 4.14 million dollars of cap space going into the season (as per NHLNUMBERS.com).

Erskine is still under contract with Washington for another 2 years at 1.5M per. He is at the bottom of their depth chart. But it would require a move to get him. With the signing of Woywitka today, our defence and depth is now full.

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Yemelin
Woywitka
Diaz

Milosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
  #446
AcadiaAxeMan
Registered User
 
AcadiaAxeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Salary wise we're in deep **** next year..
With Spacek, Gill and Kostitsyn coming off the books, don't we have just shy of 9.5 million (Price+Subban $$$)??

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:44 PM
  #447
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
With Spacek, Gill and Kostitsyn coming off the books, don't we have just shy of 9.5 million (Price+Subban $$$)??
Plus realistically Gomez can possibly come off the books. If he has a decent season then the fact that his cap hit is higher than his salary after this coming season can make him worth millions in cash in the pocket of some owner who's only scraping the ceiling floor. If he continues to decline, he may have to go the Wade Reddon route. Either way, I don't see the Habs facing insurmountable cap problems next year. The Price contract may be a nightmare to do, but that would be true regardless of cap space. Subber's only heading for his second contract. While it would be great to lock him up long term, it's not a necessity yet.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
  #448
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,489
vCash: 500
Would love to see Cole with Eller and Mr.Sniper
The first line would have tremendous speed!!

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
  #449
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
Gomez AND Gionta on the 3rd line?

Desharnais on the 4th?

Thanks but no thanks

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
  #450
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Would love to see Cole with Eller and Mr.Sniper
The first line would have tremendous speed!!

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
Eller on a second line this year: WOW !!!

Yemelin with Weber... RE WOW !!!

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.