Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
ChadS

vCash: 500
That last goal was just simply sick. Don't see that much in game-speed.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Wow a 1997...

Old
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
wings5

What can people tell me about Sasha Barkov a prospect for the 2013 NHL draft?

Old
07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Like his father a very gifted playmaker with a juicy hockey brain. Seems like a guy who wants to start the play all the time and take initiatives.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Quote:
1. Aleksandr ”Sasha” Barkov – A centre forward that has a good head for the game, can be used in all situations. Good puck handling skills, a good wrister and knows how to dish the puck. Looks taller than 183cm. Needs more speed in order to become better involved with the game at Jr.A level. Could develop into a NHL player, if he has enough desire for the game. Not the best comparison, but think of Mikko Koivu with a bit more flair.
Our HF prospect guru Tormentor's take on him from a few months ago. ^^^^

Old
07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
YARR123

Also a right handed shot with a blazing wrister, which I've heard he could use more often. And according to stats, a superb faceoff guy

Old
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
bebl

eliteprospects says he is left

Old
07-14-2011, 04:32 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
eliteprospects says he is left
Yeah, He's left.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:18 PM
YARR123

I had this image of one of the goal clips that he was a right handed shot. My bad! Anyway, a blazing wrister!

How high do you guys think he'll go? I hope he dominates Jr.A next year, gets some games under his belt in the big league, then in his draft year goes PPG Granlund style, #4 overall...

Maybe

Old
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
wings5

Mikko Koivu with more flair sounds intriguing but also sound like high expectations. What I am wondering in my mind is how differently he might have developed if raised in a Russian youth hockey system, interesting to hear he plays like his dad who developed his game in Russia.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Mikko Koivu with more flair sounds intriguing but also sound like high expectations. What I am wondering in my mind is how differently he might have developed if raised in a Russian youth hockey system, interesting to hear he plays like his dad who developed his game in Russia.
For my understanding he has lived his whole life in Finland and is product of Tappara junior system.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:24 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
For my understanding he has lived his whole life in Finland and is product of Tappara junior system.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
His dad moved there in 1994 and seemed to have stayed there for the remainder of his career so I would assume you are right. Similar case to Dmitrij Jaskin. Interesting to see how players develop when raised in another country opposite of Barkov would be Galchenyuk who was raised in Russian youth system and now is a player of elite Russian skill suiting up for the US. Joakim Ryan and David Bondra developed in US but play for Sweden and Slovakia respectively. Even Nylanders kid has played his hockey in the US and will have to decide between USA and Sweden down the road. Its like their developing hockey talents for another country, though it seems genetics may play a stronger role as with Barkov, Jaskin and perhaps the Samuelssons even though they were born and raised in a country of lesser hockey caliber than their fathers all still managed to become legitamate NHL prospects.

Old
07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

right now who is the player under 18 years old with the most potential?

Old
07-16-2011, 07:20 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
right now who is the player under 18 years old with the most potential?
I like Olli Määttä alot, he plays very good 2 way game and makes rarely mistakes, can play hard. He gonna be our top D-man for U-20 and he isn't even 17, has adult experience. His ceiling isn't so high like our other top prospects but i think he is closest to be an NHLer. Same for Barkov Jr. good all around player with size. He isn't offensively as good as some other our top 95's but close. Jaakko Hälli is nice puck moving defenseman for 2014 draft with decent size for his age but he is too young to compare him with others. And of course Rasmus Ristolainen who is closest to be on FEL team roster. I think he will be a FEL player in 2 years. Don't know about Barkov but i hope he can make it for 2012-2013.

Defence

Olli Määttä is closest to NHL, but Ristolainen could be jackpot big, good skater, good shot, good 2-way player, has his issues aswell, positioning on own zone isn't great. Can't forget Pokka who has best offensive skills off these d-mans..

Fowards

Barkov Jr. has NHL potential in him. Can do everything very well at age of 15, Dream player for coach, because he can be used on all situations. I think foward with highest ceiling is Juuso Ikonen. If he was bigger he would be my Number 1 prospect for 2013 draft.

Of course there is Aleksi Saarela who is too young to be considered one but he has the potential to become the next great Junior player from finland. Next year he Gonna play at Jr C level. Granlund had 21 points in 13 games at his age let's see what numbers Saarela gonna have. He played 1 game last season with 2 points. I think he gonna RIP it and set new records.

Last edited by thomast: 07-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old
07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I like Olli Määttä alot, he plays very good 2 way game and makes rarely mistakes, can play hard. He gonna be our top D-man for U-20 and he isn't even 17, has adult experience. His ceiling isn't so high like our other top prospects but i think he is closest to be an NHLer. Same for Barkov Jr. good all around player with size. He isn't offensively as good as some other our top 95's but close. Jaakko Hälli is nice puck moving defenseman for 2014 draft with decent size for his age but he is too young to compare him with others. And of course Rasmus Ristolainen who is closest to be on FEL team roster. I think he will be a FEL player in 2 years. Don't know about Barkov but i hope he can make it for 2011-2012.

Defence

Olli Määttä is closest to NHL, but Ristolainen could be jackpot big, good skater, good shot, good 2-way player, has his issues aswell, positioning on own zone isn't great. Can't forget Pokka who has best offensive skills off these d-mans..

Fowards

Barkov Jr. has NHL potential in him. Can do everything very well at age of 15, Dream player for coach, because he can be used on all situations. I think foward with highest ceiling is Juuso Ikonen. If he was bigger he would be my Number 1 prospect for 2013 draft.

Of course there is Aleksi Saarela who is too young to be considered one but he has the potential to become the next great Junior player from finland. Next year he Gonna play at Jr C level. Granlund had 21 points in 13 games at his age let's see what numbers Saarela gonna have. He played 1 game last season with 2 points. I think he gonna RIP it and set new records.
So.. Ristolainen who you think is the most ready, makes it in two years, but you hope Barkov makes it NeXT year?!

Old
07-16-2011, 01:28 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
So.. Ristolainen who you think is the most ready, makes it in two years, but you hope Barkov makes it NeXT year?!

I ment 2012-2013 I think Ristolainen makes to FEL atleast at season 2012-2013 not sure about Barkov but i hope it.

Old
07-21-2011, 06:37 AM
edd1e

Im intriqued about this Aleksi Saarela. Who does compare to? He seemed to be pretty dominant in that video in youtube.

I know it's way too early to say what his upside is.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Im intriqued about this Aleksi Saarela. Who does compare to? He seemed to be pretty dominant in that video in youtube.

I know it's way too early to say what his upside is.
In that video of Pohjola camp final's 2nd period (i posted it in the other thread about him) he was very impressive, but so was Aaro Löyttymäki who he was playing with.

Two very interesting kids indeed.

I recommend you to check that vid out. Both of them play in it. The vid is about 20 min long and Löyttymäki scores a goal in it and Saarela assists few.

Old
07-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
If anyone can, I would very much appreciate a scouting report on Ville Jarvelainen and Joona Manninen.
Both have commited to St. Cloud State for 2012. I know both with spend a year over here in the USHL before coming to SCSU. Any info would be appreciated. I do of course know their vitals and stats, I'm loooking more for style of play, comparable players etc.
Thanks much.

Old
07-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Zikolako
mailataikuri

Aleksi Saarela´s wrister reminds me of another Saarela from Lukko, thats Pasi. Must be his father ? About Barkov, he has lived in Finland his whole life thats all right. I used to work at the Tampere Tennis-center, where his older brother Yura was training and playing daily, and sometimes the whole Barkov-family came to watch. Little Sasha jr. was just a toddler then, barely knew how to walk

Old
08-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Eyelanders

Could somebody tell who are the best '96 born players in Finland? I know that Jaakko Hälli is good, but who are the other players who I should follow next year?

Old
08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan789 View Post
Could somebody tell who are the best '96 born players in Finland? I know that Jaakko Hälli is good, but who are the other players who I should follow next year?
In my eyes this group seems to be fairly even, so anyone playing in Jr.B this upcoming season is worth keeping an eye on. I'd wait at least a few months before making a preliminary ranking, because it'll be a lot easier to evaluate these kids once they face proper competition on a regular basis in Jr.B and national team. Hälli might become an early front runner, if he manages to get some ice time in Jr.A with Tappara.

'96-born players played their first national team games yesterday and today. Niko Ahoniemi was the top scorer from the players that played in both games; 5 goals and 4 assists.

05-Aug-2011 / Finland - Austria (12 - 3)
1 - 0 KAUPPINEN Antti (HARAINEN Tommi, LINDEMAN Rene)
2 - 0 KIVIRANTA Joel
3 - 0 KAUPPINEN Antti (LINDEMAN Rene)
4 - 1 KIVIRANTA Joel (SUOMINEN Samu, PITKÄNEN Miikka)
5 - 1 HAARANEN Matias (KAPANEN Kasper)
6 - 1 HINTZ Roope (YLINIEMI Jonne, ROUHIAINEN Jere)
7 - 1 YLINIEMI Jonne (HOPPONEN Waltteri, HÄLLI Jaakko)
8 - 1 MÄKINEN Miro (AHONIEMI Niko)
9 - 1 HARAINEN Tommi (ULLBERG Robin)
10 - 1 AHONIEMI Niko (HÄLLI Jaakko)
11 - 3 YLINIEMI Jonne (HÄLLI Jaakko)
12 - 3 RANTANEN Mikko (MÄKINEN Miro)

Matias RUOPPA 10 saves

06-Aug-2011 / Finland - Austria (12 - 0)
1 - 0 AHONIEMI Niko (HINTZ Roope)
2 - 0 AHONIEMI Niko (HÄLLI Jaakko)
3 - 0 YLINIEMI Jonne (TUULOLA Joni)
4 - 0 KALAPUDAS Antti (NIEMINEN Otto, ULLBERG Robin)
5 - 0 AHONIEMI Niko (HINTZ Roope)
6 - 0 AHONIEMI Niko (HINTZ Roope, ULLBERG Robin)
7 - 0 HOPPONEN Waltteri (AHONIEMI Niko)
8 - 0 HARAINEN Tommi (KALAPUDAS Antti, ULLBERG Robin)
9 - 0 HARAINEN Tommi (LINDEMAN Rene)
10 - 0 HINTZ Roope (AHONIEMI Niko)
11 - 0 NIEMINEN Otto (ULLBERG Robin)
12 - 0 HOPPONEN Waltteri (AHONIEMI Niko, HINTZ Roope)

Juuso KANNEL 9 saves

Old
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
sinettiseura

Great start for the season for our U18 team by winning the USA 6-3 in Ivan Hlinka Memorial. 95 age group really looks talented. Last year they took wins over Sweden 95 which is considered a good age group for swedes (if I have understod correctly )... Will be very interesting to see WJC in couple of years when we have very strong D-men (Määttä, Pokka, Ristolainen etc) in 94 age group and offensive talent in 95 (Barkov, Lehkonen, Tanus)... Also a good goalie prospect in 95 age group, Ville Husso. Normally Finland has always some weaknesses like this year we have very good offensive but our defense looks terrible.

But some notes about today's game or prospects... I'm not expert like tormentor but I thought that it is time to register here and take part in discussion...

Sasha Barkov
looked very calm with the puck and his development curve is IMO going up. Sashas weaknesses has been his skating but judging by todays game it looked like he is maybe little bit faster than he was before. His skating technique isn't IMO bad but he lacks explosiveness which can be still developed.

Juuso Ikonen looked also very promising. He is very good skater with great acceleration, he sees the ice well and has good hands. Good performance today by him but I have to say that I was a bit dissapointed that it looked like he hasn't grew an inch. He is very fast and good skater which is always considered the "cornerstone" for guys who are that small but what concerns me is that he doesen't seems to "dominate" the game in corners like for example Granlund and S. Koivu. I mean that he is very dangerous when he gets the puck in neutral zone because his acceleration (he is in full speed like right away) but when the rink gets smaller it is easier for d-men to "push" him to the corners. That been said he really looked like the most talented player in the Finnish team and my opinions about him are based on few viewings so maybe it isn't wise to judge him...

Old
08-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
But some notes about today's game or prospects... I'm not expert like tormentor but I thought that it is time to register here and take part in discussion...
Welcome to the boards, there aren't too many of us here who follow Finnish youth hockey. It’s always good to get different opinions and outlooks. I have to say that I agree with your observations about Barkov and Ikonen.

...And I wouldn’t call myself an expert, more like a bigmouth who still has a lot to learn about the game. I just like following hockey at all levels and therefore get to see many of our top youngsters play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
Also a good goalie prospect in 95 age group, Ville Husso. Normally Finland has always some weaknesses like this year we have very good offensive but our defense looks terrible.
There seems to be several good 95-born goalies in the capital region; Husso, Lankinen, Virtanen and maybe Hernberg as well. Will be interesting to see who ends up being the top dog once it’s all said and done. I wouldn’t say that 95 age group’s defence is terrible, it’s just doesn’t match the talent that’s in offence.

Old
08-09-2011, 07:00 AM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I wouldn’t say that 95 age group’s defence is terrible, it’s just doesn’t match the talent that’s in offence.
Im pretty sure he meant next WJC team.

Closed Thread