HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yawney's gone... seeking an AHL head coaching job

Old
08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Nitl7
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time posting. Just thought I'd bring this topic up again, as I would like to see if there has been any speculation on a replacement with Yawney's departure. Has anyone heard any rumors floating around? Or, who do you think the Sharks should target as a replacement? Thanks.

- Nitl7

Nitl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
The Todd gave Jay Woodcroft a bit of a promotion, and he will be working with the forwards.

Matt Shaw is taking over Yawney's former responsibilities of working with the defense.

Source

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Didn't the prospects that Yawney coach only really show true progress after he left?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Nitl7
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
The Todd gave Jay Woodcroft a bit of a promotion, and he will be working with the forwards.

Matt Shaw is taking over Yawney's former responsibilities of working with the defense.

Source

Hey Sacto, thanks for the link. Haha, guess I didn't dig enough

-Nitl7

Old
08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Nitl7
Rookie User

There's an interesting debate in the comment section of that article regarding Woodcroft's promotion from video analysis to the bench. I for one am happy to see him get a shot at being a bench coach, given his experiences with 2 high caliber teams (Detroit & San Jose), but would have liked to see someone outside of the organization come in and provide some fresh ideas to the coaching staff.

Also, given that we are in a "win now" mode I would have thought that they would have gone with a coach with more years under his belt.

- Nitl7

Old
08-08-2011, 10:58 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

so.....

greatest off-season ever?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:07 PM
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitl7 View Post
There's an interesting debate in the comment section of that article regarding Woodcroft's promotion from video analysis to the bench. I for one am happy to see him get a shot at being a bench coach, given his experiences with 2 high caliber teams (Detroit & San Jose), but would have liked to see someone outside of the organization come in and provide some fresh ideas to the coaching staff.

Also, given that we are in a "win now" mode I would have thought that they would have gone with a coach with more years under his belt.

- Nitl7
Totally agree. TMac is youngish. Woody is ..... well ..... Woody. A coach with a little more experience; not a threat to take TMacs job would have been a good addition. Maybe Woodcroft was promised something?

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Nitl7
Rookie User

WineShark, maybe so... I really think they are taking a gamble by allowing a rookie bench coach take helm with a core that isn't getting any younger. Granted that the players stated that they are confident with his abilities to take over, I believe a more experienced coach would have been a better option with this year's championship push.

But honestly, I don't know too much about coaches and am just going off gut feelings. But as one of the other posters from the article stated, DW and TMac should have a gauge on Woodcroft's ability to lead and command respect from the players. If DW had any doubts, I'm sure he would have said something...

- Nitl7

Last edited by Nitl7: 08-09-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
08-09-2011, 12:05 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
WineShark, maybe so... I really think they are taking a gamble by allowing a rookie bench coach take helm with a core that isn't getting any younger. Granted that the players stated that they are confident with his abilities to take over, I believe a more experienced coach would have been a better option with this year's championship push.
He had bench duties during the 3rd period of every game last year, so he's not necessarily a rookie.

EDIT: I actually think it was for the last 2 seasons.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Nitl7
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He had bench duties during the 3rd period of every game last year, so he's not necessarily a rookie.

EDIT: I actually think it was for the last 2 seasons.
True, I do remember him behind the bench. Haha, I figured he was just getting a first person's perspective; outside of the backroom's video monitor Perhaps "rookie" was too harsh of a word. But yeah...point taken.

- Nitl7

Old
08-09-2011, 01:11 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

- Nitl7
Everyone cries for experience but for the most part those guys have experience with failure. The successful ones advance to HC jobs. Yawney had loads of failing experience. Fresh ideas are good and it is generally the younger generation that has them. And for the most part youth in terms of coaching has been proven out by recent cup winners.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Didn't the prospects that Yawney coach only really show true progress after he left?
As soon as Yawney left Chicago, Duncan Keith improved drastically and won a Norris trophy.

Oh, and a little cup thingy...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
As soon as Yawney left Chicago, Duncan Keith improved drastically and won a Norris trophy.

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:

If you watched Keith in Norfolk you would have seen that Yawney was huge in his development.
Keith certainly recognizes Yawney's help.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=35&id=72793

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:45 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
If you watched Keith in Norfolk you would have seen that Yawney was huge in his development.
Keith certainly recognizes Yawney's help.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=35&id=72793
I have this theory that Yawney is great for early development but actually holds players back when they need to make that next step to great/elite.

Vlasic is probably the best current example of that. Ehrhoff probably too. I think with Demers will make huge strides this year now that he's out from under Yawney.

Yawney should be the defensive guru for someone's AHL team and stay there...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I have this theory that Yawney is great for early development but actually holds players back when they need to make that next step to great/elite.

Vlasic is probably the best current example of that. Ehrhoff probably too. I think with Demers will make huge strides this year now that he's out from under Yawney.

Yawney should be the defensive guru for someone's AHL team and stay there...
He didn't do all that well for Norfolk. Keith is his exceptional pupil and he should be credited, but pickings get very lean after that.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote