HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

espn bashing hockey again. my opinion.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
espn bashing hockey again. my opinion.

I'm getting sick of this crap saying hockey is nothing compared to the "BIG 3" lol. Hockey is at very least better then baseball and right there with basketball. I think Football is the only sport that competes with hockey in the USA (rugby is getting cooler to me lol).

source
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/newy...ankees-dynasty

In this article the person Rob Parker of ESPNNewYork.com writes...

"We know the NHL has lost a lot of its luster the past 10 years or so.

For whatever reason, it's now considered a niche sport. The die-hards love the game as much as ever, but something has been lost with the general population. (Losing an entire season to a labor dispute didn't help). It's the fourth sport in the Big Three.
"

ESPN I have enjoyed for a long time. But I hear pardon the interuption bashing nhl too. It's so funny because they use to air NHL on espn a long time ago. They rarely talk about it or show any highlights. Maybe it's because the other 3 are "American sports" and hockey is a "Canadian sport?" I actually think they show more soccer on espn then hockey. I know soccer is a worldwide sport but I see more MLS then any NHL.

Most of the time if they do show hockey highlights, it's Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin and what the penguins or capitals are doing which isn't right in my eyes. Showcase all those other teams that are out there not getting much publicity.

What do you think? I hope I'm not overreacting.

One more thing

GOD BLESS NHL NETWORK!

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think you're overreacting. Nothing he's saying is false. The NHL has lost its luster in the last 10 years (from the general population's point of view), and it is definitely at least 4th, if not lower, and certainly behind football, baseball and basketball. What he's saying is actually pretty conservative, in terms of NHL bashing.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:13 AM
DarkReign

Facts are facts. Nothing in that link is a lie, a little speculative, but hockey is firmly in 4th place in the USA.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
turbodaze

They should respect the NHL who cares what they are ranked.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Facts are facts. Nothing in that link is a lie, a little speculative, but hockey is firmly in 4th place in the USA.
Agreed. WE know hockey is the greatest sport by far, but just look at the numbers. The NBA finals (God, I hate the NBA) rated 8 times higher than the Cup finals. The NFL's rights to Monday Night Football alone is a billion a year. It's just the way it is (for now).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Sabres1026*

Rob parker? The black guy who has made a few racist remarks on national tv?

I watch ESPN more then anything but I hate how little they cover hockey. On the ticker I have to wait for them to show every baseball score 3 times before seeing a single hockey score.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
turbodaze

IF ESPN is the sports leader like they say, they need to show alot more sports on their channels then just football, baseball, and basketball. It makes me sick how much coverage they do for those 3 sports. Why not do it for the 4th biggest sport and others that are not included either. It's just not hockey but other sports that aren't highlighted.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Agreed. WE know hockey is the greatest sport by far, but just look at the numbers. The NBA finals (God, I hate the NBA) rated 8 times higher than the Cup finals. The NFL's rights to Monday Night Football alone is a billion a year. It's just the way it is (for now).
I even watched the NBA finals. What a huge match-up that was.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
StrongIslanders90

Its embarrising the Lack of NHL coverage on ESPN....I watch ESPN everyday and Hockey is my Favorite sport and it makes me mad how theres no free agent specials or anything....we find out that Joe Blow was signed as an undrafted free agent in the summer to the NBA or NFL, get his full bio and how the deal went down.....But Christian Ehnffs rights were traded twice and signed with Buffalo and you see none of that.....

And just a side note......Damn those eagles.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
one2gamble

I honestly dont know anyone that even watches the NBA anymore. I think it goes something like that this

NFL, MLB, -->College Football ---------->NBA/NHL (depends on location)-------------------------------------> MLS

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:24 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
IF ESPN is the sports leader like they say, they need to show alot more sports on their channels then just football, baseball, and basketball. It makes me sick how much coverage they do for those 3 sports. Why not do it for the 4th biggest sport and others that are not included either. It's just not hockey but other sports that aren't highlighted.
ESPN's three biggest properties are football, baseball, and basketball broadcasts. Only makes sense that they aren't going to spend much time on a sport that another network has.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sabres1026*

ESPN has an NFL Live, College Football Live, MMA live, WNBA games, poker, a spelling bee but can't cover NHL....ugh.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
They do - Little League, soft ball, poker...

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
ESPN has an NFL Live, College Football Live, MMA live, WNBA games, poker, a spelling bee but can't cover NHL....ugh.
I could tell you have never watched a spelling Bee.....There Intense....Negus

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
turbodaze

they barely talked about Winnipeg getting a new NHL team lol. O I forgot, they do cover golf and nascar alot. Mainly because of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson lol.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
copperandblue

So to recap;

ESPN expresses an interest to re-aquire the NHL's broadcast rights.

The NHL re-signs with Versus.

ESPN calls the NHL #4 a niche sport.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I could tell you have never watched a spelling Bee.....There Intense....Negus
Apparently you haven't watched enough of them either.

They're*

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

It's ESPN, what do you expect?

NHL may not be the most popular, doesn't mean it's the worse. I can't watch the NFL or the NBA. I can watch pieces of MLB games but the only league that I can sit down for 3 hours and just watch is the NHL.

I don't think the NHL has gotten worse at all. I like the game more than ever actually.

That guy has his opinion and we have ours. Personally, I'm happy that I don't get ESPN up here in Canadaland (Home of the poutine).

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
turbodaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
So to recap;

ESPN expresses an interest to re-aquire the NHL's broadcast rights.

The NHL re-signs with Versus.

ESPN calls the NHL #4 a niche sport.
I know that is what pissed me off the most. NHL is an acquired taste LOL. Not many people will like it lol.

Yeah right, I absolutely have fallen in love with Hockey these past few years. I think Versus, NBC, and NHL Network are doing a fantastic job showing hockey.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
PuckyTheWhale

very interesting article the other day from Wysh at PuckDaddy explaining the whole breakup of ESPN and hockey...

very interesting read for those who wonder why ESPN doesn't cover hockey "as much as it should"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp10160

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
I know - I for one am outraged by their deficient coverage of the German Handball League. "Leader in sports", my arse...

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

In Korea, Starcraft Tournaments are covered by ESPN.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I know - I for one am outraged by their deficient coverage of the German Handball League. "Leader in sports", my arse...
Are you serious or you've just forgot the icon.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Quote:
The NHL has lost its luster in the last 10 years (from the general population's point of view), and it is definitely at least 4th, if not lower, and certainly behind football, baseball and basketball.
The second part of your statement is certainly true, but the first? You can't lose something that wasn't there to begin with; the NHL is seeing record revenues and TV ratings, so if anything it is on an upswing.

08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
mindmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think you're overreacting. Nothing he's saying is false. The NHL has lost its luster in the last 10 years (from the general population's point of view), and it is definitely at least 4th, if not lower, and certainly behind football, baseball and basketball. What he's saying is actually pretty conservative, in terms of NHL bashing.
I don't know what you are talking about. Hockey has virtually ALWAYS been behind the other 3 sports for a long time. It's not rooted in American culture, and to say it has lost it's luster is pretty silly. In what way? The product, the revenue numbers? None of that is backed up by any hard evidence. The game continues to grow, highlighted by the increasing NHL revenues and salary cap. Sure, it lags behind the other three, but it's success is not measured against the other three. It's like saying Coca-Cola will not be successful unless it has higher revenues than Microsoft. It's two completely different products they are selling. Coca-Cola can be successful on its own and not be on top of the revenue pyramid.

The raw sport has plenty of appeal. You have speed, power, skill, and violence wrapped up in a dynamic game - somewhat unlike stop-and-go football or baseball. By all means if you want to praise a sport like baseball, which features numerous throws to first and dozens of balls and routine grounders, go for it. It's certainly not for me.

mindmasher is offline   Reply With Quote