HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

espn bashing hockey again. my opinion.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:42 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 500
ESPN has and will put down the NHL because Bettman decided to sign a deal with Versus instead of ESPN

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:43 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
IF ESPN is the sports leader like they say, they need to show alot more sports on their channels then just football, baseball, and basketball. It makes me sick how much coverage they do for those 3 sports. Why not do it for the 4th biggest sport and others that are not included either. It's just not hockey but other sports that aren't highlighted.
They're a business first, and those are the three sports that draw the largest viewership. It's not their job to promote hockey; that's the NHL's job. I think baseball is an absolutely godawful sport to watch, and I'd be thrilled if hockey usurped it, but you have to look at this from the perspective of the network.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

seeing how attendance and tv ratings are best in history I fail to see it a failure. it's creeping up on the nba

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
If ESPN doesn't carry the sport, they bash it.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
digdug41982

May be true now but that's about to change. The NBA will be gone all year. I think this is going to be a banner year for the NHL. I'm pumped about the better ice quality. That's going to be huge for the Hawks. The UC has terrible ice, but this year it should be pretty decent.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
tim

so don't watch ESPN?

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Fleury4ever

Mass appeal is bad, I don't want hockey to suffer, but how could it ever appeal to the retards who lie around watching baseball on TV without becoming a worse on ice product?

It's on the rise now, people realize that, and they are doing it w/out the help of the Disney empire, so they take some shots. Personally I think the gap is closing. Football will remain #1, baseball fans are dying off literally, and I actually think NBA is doing okay and hockey is hot, so they'll close the gap on the big 2 in the next few years.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
matCH penalty

I live in the states, and my circle of friends includes a lot of sports fans. Lots of people who live and die for the NFL, MLB, NHL, college basketball and football, European soccer, motorsports, and even a few poor ******** who love the MLS. All walks of life, too. Professionals, blue collar, the unemployed, the professional unemployed (), etc. Some educated quite a bit, some not so much. There's only one thing that every single person I know without exception has in common (other than hating the Yankees): they don't like ESPN. They watch it, some of them quite a bit, but they don't like it or take it all that seriously. It's not the 90s anymore. This stuff isn't cool, and it hasn't been for a while. But that's alright, we've got the internet instead.

I would recommend not giving one iota of a **** about what ESPN says, does, or "thinks". Nobody else does.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
so don't watch ESPN?
No kidding. 90% of their news/programming is absolute garbage.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
SarahRomance

I remember watching a recorded show and they had a sports highlights/update...I had no idea the date, but for some reason The Bruins winning the Stanley Cup was somewhere like the number 5 spot for highlights. Number one looked like a HS Baseball play that was not that impressive...I just sighed.

SarahRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmasher View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. Hockey has virtually ALWAYS been behind the other 3 sports for a long time. It's not rooted in American culture, and to say it has lost it's luster is pretty silly. In what way? The product, the revenue numbers? None of that is backed up by any hard evidence. The game continues to grow, highlighted by the increasing NHL revenues and salary cap. Sure, it lags behind the other three, but it's success is not measured against the other three. It's like saying Coca-Cola will not be successful unless it has higher revenues than Microsoft. It's two completely different products they are selling. Coca-Cola can be successful on its own and not be on top of the revenue pyramid.

The raw sport has plenty of appeal. You have speed, power, skill, and violence wrapped up in a dynamic game - somewhat unlike stop-and-go football or baseball. By all means if you want to praise a sport like baseball, which features numerous throws to first and dozens of balls and routine grounders, go for it. It's certainly not for me.
I don't think it's lost its luster, but that's not what I said. You don't need to quote the revenues and ratings to me. I'm talking in terms of the way the public perceives hockey. If you think hockey's level of prestige with the general public, mainstream media, etc is anywhere close to where it was 10 years ago...well I don't know what to tell you, other than it flat-out isn't.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRomance View Post
I remember watching a recorded show and they had a sports highlights/update...I had no idea the date, but for some reason The Bruins winning the Stanley Cup was somewhere like the number 5 spot for highlights. Number one looked like a HS Baseball play that was not that impressive...I just sighed.
Yeah, they probably had TO wearing a dress and talking in the 3rd person ahead of the Cup win. What a joke. The worst part is I'm sure they study the market and the market wants drivel.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:06 AM
SupremefartMachine

Whatever, ESPN is poop anyway. If by losing it's "luster" and being "lost on the general population" I guess that means the Stanley Cup finals drawing its highest ratings in over a decade and game 7 being the most watched game in the US since 1973, really supports ESPN's point. Who cares, it's just a silly puff piece with little fact other than hockey being the fourth most popular sport in the US, big deal.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
IF ESPN is the sports leader like they say, they need to show alot more sports on their channels then just football, baseball, and basketball. It makes me sick how much coverage they do for those 3 sports. Why not do it for the 4th biggest sport and others that are not included either. It's just not hockey but other sports that aren't highlighted.
You realize that "the sports leader" is a marketing slogan, and not objective fact?

I can't believe that you're making this big of a deal about something that wasn't even said on ESPN's website, but one of their affiliate websites. If that's truly your threshold for being outraged, you must be outraged several hundred times per day.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
SarahRomance

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, they probably had TO wearing a dress and talking in the 3rd person ahead of the Cup win. What a joke. The worst part is I'm sure they study the market and the market wants drivel.
I am sure, but as many times as I watch a orange ball go through a net basically the same way I cannot find basketball highlights "amazing." So, Id like to be part of their "studies."

SarahRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

I don't know what's worse; the lack of ESPN coverage or the sheer inferiority complex brought on because of it.

who cares?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

If theres no NBA season then I see it as a good thing because now I don't have to pay more damn money for stupid TSN 2 and Rogers Sportsnet 1, I sadly paid it last year to see the Raptors lose all season long.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Are you serious or you've just forgot the icon.
Didn't think I needed to beat people over the head with the fact that it was sarcasm

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckyTheWhale View Post
very interesting article the other day from Wysh at PuckDaddy explaining the whole breakup of ESPN and hockey...

very interesting read for those who wonder why ESPN doesn't cover hockey "as much as it should"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp10160
That was a good read, thanks for posting it.

Neely2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
mindmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If you think hockey's level of prestige with the general public, mainstream media, etc is anywhere close to where it was 10 years ago...well I don't know what to tell you, other than it flat-out isn't.
Based on what? Your personal impressions? Good thing you aren't running a debate team I guess.

I've seen no evidence that the NHL of 2001 has markedly more influence in mainstream media, revenues, or TV ratings. If I 'don't need to quote TV numbers' to you, then what exactly do you quantify as evidence for your position?

mindmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
That guy has his opinion and we have ours. Personally, I'm happy that I don't get ESPN up here in Canadaland (Home of the poutine).
What's unfair is that you get TSN instead. I'd gladly swap out my 45 ESPN spinoff channels just to get TSN.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
Didn't think I needed to beat people over the head with the fact that it was sarcasm
You mean you don't really care about German Handball?????

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

if they had the TV contract it would be the hottest thing since sliced bread. They hype up sports they cover. They cover Womens Tennis and have it lead a show for Gods sake! ESPN is the ultimate garbage East Coast bias hype machine. I'm glad Comcast/NBC/Versus has the NHL.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
This debate reminds me of how awesome the old ABC "Wide World of Sports" show was.

i don't think anything has ever truly replaced it for across the board coverage of all sports.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Crabovski*

You cant hate ESPN for broadcasting what the general population of their viewers want to see. Their just trying to make that $$$. And as others have said nothing they stated was incorrect.

Besides we still have TSN too shove redundant hockey babble down you're throat. Just dont watch ESPN.... simple

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote