HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training camp

Old
08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Training camp

Any body have any idea on what players are going to be invited to our camp this year ?

I know last year no one expected sauer to impress the way he did, anybody thinks there's a black ace again this year ? ( Weise ?)

Who do u guys think will make the last cut ?

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
My opinion is that Weise is a lost cause. I like the kid's drive, but he has AHL player written all over him.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
After an offseason training with Colonel Chester Philips, Mats Zuccarello returns bigger, stronger and better than before.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Surprises are going to be Christian Thomas and Mats Zuccarello.

Training camp invite will be Chris Drury and Wade Redden

08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
They'll probably invite someone like Nick Boynton, a veteran defenseman to compete with the younger guys. And maybe take a flier on someone like Steve Bernier, a project-type.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

This is somewhat OT, but does anyone here remember the days when the Rangers used to have training camp at the University of Vermont? I remember being a real young kid (probably between 9 and 12 or 13) and I used to go to UVM to watch the practices. I remember one year, Pavel Bure (my old favorite player) was there and I got his autograph and was in heaven.

But anyways, does anyone know why the Rangers stopped going to UVM for training camp? If I recall correctly, they stopped going to UVM after the lockout, but I could be wrong? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: To contribute to the discussion, I think that Thomas will surprise and make the team, he has nothing left to prove in the OHL.

The Dark Passenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

camp can't come soon enough... Traverse City tournament is really going to get me into high gear for the hockey season.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:53 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
They'll probably invite someone like Nick Boynton, a veteran defenseman to compete with the younger guys. And maybe take a flier on someone like Steve Bernier, a project-type.
I can see and agree with a veteran defenseman coming in for a tryout. Is Boynton the only guy out there?

Also, I can't remember if it was last season or the season before, but when we invited Kyle McLaren he didn't show up did he? Does anyone remember why? Id look it up myself but im not in a position to do so right now.

Thanks.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I can see and agree with a veteran defenseman coming in for a tryout. Is Boynton the only guy out there?

Also, I can't remember if it was last season or the season before, but when we invited Kyle McLaren he didn't show up did he? Does anyone remember why? Id look it up myself but im not in a position to do so right now.

Thanks.
Nah there's lots of veterans out there. Hannan, Staios, Skrastins, Cullimore, Mara and Rivet and Strudwick, among others.

McLaren said he was injured and couldn't report for camp.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
NYR Viper

I think Mara will be brought in. He and Torts have a pretty good relationship and he knows some of the players in the locker room. Plus he is a great guy.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think Mara will be brought in. He and Torts have a pretty good relationship and he knows some of the players in the locker room. Plus he is a great guy.
Hasn't Torts gotten rid of Mara in Tampa and then New York.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

One of Christian Thomas, Matt Zuccarello or Carl Hagelin will make the team, in my eyes.

My money is currently on Zuccarello.

On defense, it looks like Erixon, Valentenko and possibly Kundratek will be the candidates for the "6th" defenseman spot behind Eminger and the lot.

We don't have any centers in a position to push for a spot, not that we need any with Richards-Anisimov-Stepan-Boyle running down the middle.

08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
NYR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Yea torts got rid of him twice now .

I actually like Mara

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Based on who is under contract, I don't think we're going to have any invites.

Just my opinion

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Thomas or Zuccarello will have an great camp and make the team a la Stepan. The way to look at it, Thomas is a sniper, Zuccarello is a playmaker. Which is needed more? Size doesn't really factor in because Thomas isn't that much larger. I'd want Thomas because he'd bring more goals, speed and another good RW. Not to mention, he'd help the PP.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Yes, Renney liked Mara, Torts kind of didn't. I like Mara, but I don't think the current coaching staff would want him.

Are we going to see Alexei Semenov Part III?

Old
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

When exactly does Training Camp start and how long is it?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
One of Christian Thomas, Matt Zuccarello or Carl Hagelin will make the team, in my eyes.

My money is currently on Zuccarello.

On defense, it looks like Erixon, Valentenko and possibly Kundratek will be the candidates for the "6th" defenseman spot behind Eminger and the lot.

We don't have any centers in a position to push for a spot, not that we need any with Richards-Anisimov-Stepan-Boyle running down the middle.

If Erixon fails to make it, it will be a major disappointment. The Rangers are hoping he'll be as good as McDonagh and Sauer were last year.

Vally will probably be a #7 if he performs half way decently.

Zuccarello will be given a chance unless he has a terrible camp. Hagelin and especially Weise will work hard to prove they belong in the NHL when the injuries hit.

Kundratek won't make it, but he'll likely get a mid-season call up when our RDs will get injured.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
Thomas or Zuccarello will have an great camp and make the team a la Stepan. The way to look at it, Thomas is a sniper, Zuccarello is a playmaker. Which is needed more? Size doesn't really factor in because Thomas isn't that much larger. I'd want Thomas because he'd bring more goals, speed and another good RW. Not to mention, he'd help the PP.

I would rather keep Zuccarello than rush Thomas. This is Zuccarello's make or break season, while Thomas is too young and too small to play in the NHL. Thomas has MDZ written all over him: hot start, then gets beat up and slows down.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would rather keep Zuccarello than rush Thomas. This is Zuccarello's make or break season, while Thomas is too young and too small to play in the NHL. Thomas has MDZ written all over him: hot start, then gets beat up and slows down.
True, this is Zucc's contract year. Thomas isn't too small. He's 5'9"/5'10", pretty much Callahan's height. Is Callahan too small? No. Thomas just needs to add weight, he has everything else. An extra inch or two would be great, but he's only 19, he can still grow. Thomas isn't MDZ. Two different players. Thomas is far more consistent than MDZ.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If Erixon fails to make it, it will be a major disappointment. The Rangers are hoping he'll be as good as McDonagh and Sauer were last year.
McD did start in Hartford though. Did it help him ease his way into the grind of the NHL schedule and pace of the game?

On the flip side, Gilroy and Del Zotto were great in and out of camp back in '09, but gradually found themselves hitting that wall in the early winter. Was their development compromised by coming straight out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I do think there's a higher expectation for Erixon than any of those guys, but an argument could be made that he'll benefit from spending a couple of weeks in the AHL.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
McD did start in Hartford though. Did it help him ease his way into the grind of the NHL schedule and pace of the game?

On the flip side, Gilroy and Del Zotto were great in and out of camp back in '09, but gradually found themselves hitting that wall in the early winter. Was their development compromised by coming straight out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I do think there's a higher expectation for Erixon than any of those guys, but an argument could be made that he'll benefit from spending a couple of weeks in the AHL.
He may not want to play in the AHL. It may be SEL or NHL for him.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think Mara will be brought in. He and Torts have a pretty good relationship and he knows some of the players in the locker room.
This couldn't be more false lol

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
my guess is they bring in at least 1 veteran defenseman on a tryout basis, possibly 2. Not sure they want to give away the ice time to a veteran forward on a tryout this time around...not too many open spots like when Feds made it and even when guys like Nedved got a tryout runw ith us

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This couldn't be more false lol
How is it false? That season when Torts took over he was very complimentary of Paul saying he had taken some serious steps defensively.

Do I want him on the team? Not really, but he would be the type of player I could see them bringing in on a try-out.