HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you expect from Leblanc this coming year?

Old
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I expect a bit of a slow start given that he will probably miss camp and possibly the start of the season. I think by the last 20 games of the season he should be at a 0.7-0.8 PPGM level but with the injury and adjustment he may only get 35-40 points over 60-65 games.
He's going to struggle to get 40 points in 66 games. We really lack depth in Hamilton, who's he going to play with 20 point Avtsin? JT Wyman?

Palushaj is the only winger left in Hamilton capable of putting up 40+ points next year.

He's probably going to have a similar rookie year to Avtsin but hopefully he'll be more useful as he's an all around player. I don't see him breaking 30 points in the AHL this year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I expect him to age one year and play hockey.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:32 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
- They are both the same size
- They are both good in all three zones
- They can both play a gritty game and grind on the wings if needed
- They were both underrated coming out of Juniors and into the draft
- They are both versatile and can play any (forward) position when needed

Personally, I think Leblanc is a lot like Sharp and a poor man's Mike Richards if and when fully developed.
You forgot:

- One is talented, the other is a dime a dozen player

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
You forgot:

Sharpe is not a dime a dozen player

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
You forgot:

I wonder what your assessment of Patrick Sharp was when he was a third round pick putting up less than a PPG in the ECAC. I'm sure you didn't think he was a dime a dozen player back then, and saw his "true" potential.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
He's going to struggle to get 40 points in 66 games. We really lack depth in Hamilton, who's he going to play with 20 point Avtsin? JT Wyman?

Palushaj is the only winger left in Hamilton capable of putting up 40+ points next year.

He's probably going to have a similar rookie year to Avtsin but hopefully he'll be more useful as he's an all around player. I don't see him breaking 30 points in the AHL this year.
Palushaj, Trotter and Willsie are all star offensive wingers at the AHL level. With Leblanc as probably the strongest offensive centerman the Bulldogs have he'd get a great oppurtunity to produce.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wonder what your assessment of Patrick Sharp was when he was a third round pick putting up less than a PPG in the ECAC. I'm sure you didn't think he was a dime a dozen player back then, and saw his "true" potential.
Pffffffffff, it was pretty obvious.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Avtsin played sporadically last year, I expect LeBlanc to get top 6 ice time most of next year after he is healthy. Leblanc wayyyyy more polished than Avtsin was/is in terms of all around game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Avtsin played sporadically last year, I expect LeBlanc to get top 6 ice time most of next year after he is healthy. Leblanc wayyyyy more polished than Avtsin was/is in terms of all around game.
Avtsin will probably have a bounce back year if he stays healthy nad he has adjusted to the NA style of play. Would be nice for him to pan out.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:00 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Avtsin will probably have a bounce back year if he stays healthy nad he has adjusted to the NA style of play. Would be nice for him to pan out.
I wouldn't really call it a 'bounce back' year. To 'bounce back' it implies that you did poorly. He produced as expected for a 19 year old Russian kid. Hoping for 0.5+ ppg for him this year.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
WestIslander

Future down the middle

Plekanec
Eller
Leblanc
Bournival

All but one over 6' tall, FINALLY!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:

wyman signed with TB

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wouldn't really call it a 'bounce back' year. To 'bounce back' it implies that you did poorly. He produced as expected for a 19 year old Russian kid. Hoping for 0.5+ ppg for him this year.
He could have done better if it wasn't for his injury so I think he will have a decent year in terms of points. I wanna see him score a lot more. Hoping for 30

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Palushaj, Trotter and Willsie are all star offensive wingers at the AHL level. With Leblanc as probably the strongest offensive centerman the Bulldogs have he'd get a great oppurtunity to produce.
Leblanc won't be Dogs' #1 center.... Secont at best, maybe 3rd.

Trotter is a natural center and Engqvist (if not with the Habs) or Fortier might play on the 2nd or 3rd line.

One season and a half to 2 seasons may be needed in the case of Leblanc. I see him as a 3rd line center or right winger. He might become our next Guy Carbonneau because he has good two-way skills and leadership qualities.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Trotter is a natural center and Engqvist (if not with the Habs) or Fortier might play on the 2nd or 3rd line.
Trotter always played wing at Hamilton in the past, would be shocked to see him back at center with the Dogs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

LeBlanc should be groomed as a winger next year, at this point that's where we'll need him in a year or two.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

One season and a half to 2 seasons may be needed in the case of Leblanc. I see him as a 3rd line center or right winger. He might become our next Guy Carbonneau because he has good two-way skills and leadership qualities.
Trotter plays wing and while Engqvist is probably better overall at this point I'd hazard to guess that Leblanc has better offense. I don't think Fortier is better than Leblanc at this point either. So there are 3 establiched offesnive wingers to play with Engqvist and Leblanc in the top six and I'd bet Leblanc's line will be counted on to be more of an offensive unit.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Miller Time

the Sharp comparisons seem pretty apt to me... at least going by what I saw of him last year (which was limited to a handful of Juniors games and the WJHC).
their USHL/ECAC stat lines are remarkably similar, be interesting to see if the close parralels continue at the AHL level, and their physical make up (at least height/weight wise, seems pretty close as well).

Strikes me as a guy who has the skill, and more importantly the drive, to eventually develop into a pretty consistent/dangerous scorer, but it seems he doesn't quite have the full-blown elite skill to be a big pts guy right out of the gate.

Given how solid/versatile he is, he'll make his way to the NHL (barring injuries), first as a bottom-6 contributor, but I see him exploding down the road into a top-6 player capable of ~30 goals/65+pts consistently, largerly b/c of the work ethic and attitude he seems to have.

the kind of player who shines as a complimentary scoring option, wether it's in a 2nd line role or as "wingman" (be it @ centre or on the wing) to an elite player on the top-line.

I just hope that the organization is very patient with him, not so much from a "don't rush him to the NHL pov", but moreso from the POV of not pidgeon holing him as a bottom-6 guy after 2-3 NHL seasons and then being willing to move him at that asset value level.

if we are going to trade him before he gets to 26-27 yrs old, then it had better be in an overpayment, b/c he has "continued development" written all over him.

only other fear/concern would be how the media/fans treat him if/when he's only a 20-30pt guy through his first few seasons... i hope the team/management is aggresive @ managing expectations in the P.R battle.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:08 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Another shoulder injury?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I expect him to age one year and play hockey.
this

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote