HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

espn bashing hockey again. my opinion.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Shut up everybody Hot Dog eating contest is on! … and as we all know its much more exciting then some sport where 220 lbs guys skating around at 100 MPH with weapons trying to take each others heads off, think of the children!!!

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
thehumanpanda

It's baffling how people can just bash ESPN for not covering hockey or showing the spelling bee or MLS over the NHL on ESPN. As if ESPN is a bum network because they don't cover hockey.

ESPN doesn't cover hockey because hockey is not a big deal to ESPN's viewers. The spelling bee and little league baseball is more important to ESPN viewers than hockey. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

thehumanpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

ESPN does cover hockey. They don't have a television contract to show games.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanpanda View Post
It's baffling how people can just bash ESPN for not covering hockey or showing the spelling bee or MLS over the NHL on ESPN. As if ESPN is a bum network because they don't cover hockey.

ESPN doesn't cover hockey because hockey is not a big deal to ESPN's viewers. The spelling bee and little league baseball is more important to ESPN viewers than hockey. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
It's kind of hard to tell if you're being sarcastic here, but the fact that spelling bees and little league baseball are on ESPN is a running joke about the lack of content for them to cover. Nobody is interested in that stuff.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
BacklundtoBartschi*

Who cares it's ESPN...

BacklundtoBartschi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Memphis The Pie

Some posters here have a serious obsession with ESPN.

Memphis The Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
13th Floor

I love the irony in these threads. ESPN writers argue that hockey is a niche sport, and frankly the majority of people in the US would agree with that because they don't understand how the game works. That's why you see articles about the uselessness of grinders, fighting, and low scoring.

Then, people on this board call this an outrage because they understand the sport on a deeper level, can articulate the usefulness of the above, and can dive deeper into transition game, position responsibilities, and intangibles. Then, they bash other major spots in US (mainly baseball) because they think a throw to first base is stupid during an at bat. Talk about not looking in the mirror. That play has a ton of use and is not boring in a baseball game. If you can honestly sit there and get mad at people bashing the NHL because they don't understand it, and you have the balls to pretend you understand the intricacies of baseball when you admit you don't watch it, then you are an idiot.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
The second part of your statement is certainly true, but the first? You can't lose something that wasn't there to begin with; the NHL is seeing record revenues and TV ratings, so if anything it is on an upswing.
Agreed. That's the only thing I'm taking issue with in this article. The rest of it is pretty much all true. You could make an argument that basketball and hockey are about on par in some areas, and that the NHL would have better ratings than the NBA if the roles were reversed (ie NHL on ESPN, NBA on VS).

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:16 PM
ruggaduck
Duck walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I love the irony in these threads. ESPN writers argue that hockey is a niche sport, and frankly the majority of people in the US would agree with that because they don't understand how the game works. That's why you see articles about the uselessness of grinders, fighting, and low scoring.

Then, people on this board call this an outrage because they understand the sport on a deeper level, can articulate the usefulness of the above, and can dive deeper into transition game, position responsibilities, and intangibles. Then, they bash other major spots in US (mainly baseball) because they think a throw to first base is stupid during an at bat. Talk about not looking in the mirror. That play has a ton of use and is not boring in a baseball game. If you can honestly sit there and get mad at people bashing the NHL because they don't understand it, and you have the balls to pretend you understand the intricacies of baseball when you admit you don't watch it, then you are an idiot.
Very good post, man.

Honestly, it's time to move past ESPN. It's over. I'm excited about what NBC has been doing with hockey and looking forward to steadily improving numbers (especially if the NBA stays offline).

ruggaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
traunt5

They showed the highlights of 14 second hen racing tournament in England on SportsCenter yesterday.

traunt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Then, they bash other major spots in US (mainly baseball) because they think a throw to first base is stupid during an at bat. Talk about not looking in the mirror. That play has a ton of use and is not boring in a baseball game. If you can honestly sit there and get mad at people bashing the NHL because they don't understand it, and you have the balls to pretend you understand the intricacies of baseball when you admit you don't watch it, then you are an idiot.
I grew up with baseball and understand why a pitcher holds the runner at 1st, but I still think it's pretty damn boring to watch him do it over and over when the runner is only about 2 strides off the bag.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Rem
this face

I just would like to point out that I'm American, living in San Jose, and I never EVER watch ESPN. I don't even really follow any sport other than hockey.

NHL network FTW...they do need to get some better sponsorship though, the commercials are annoyingly repetitive.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I don't watch ESPN anyways. I don't see why they'd show hockey considering we don't even have a contract with them.

The NHLN is a mess, they need to get a serious do-over.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I grew up with baseball and understand why a pitcher holds the runner at 1st, but I still think it's pretty damn boring to watch him do it over and over when the runner is only about 2 strides off the bag.
Yes, but "boring" and a "waste of time" are different. In and of itself, it is "boring" to watch a defensemen in hockey stand behind his own net on a power play. If I watched that all day I would be bored, just as I would be if I watched a first basemen and a pitcher have a catch. But, the majority of people on this board know that the defensemen waiting for the timing of his teammates to start an effective transition up ice and a successful entrance into the zone is hardly a "waste of time". I think the same about the pick-off attempt even when the pick-off isn't very realistic. It's more about keeping the runner guessing and on his heels. Thus, when you understand that these plays are important to the flow and strategy of the game and can distinguish between "boring" and "waste of time", the boring aspect tends to go unnoticed because you understand what is happening -- you just see this as part of the game.

It's just like home team fans that boo when their pitcher throws to first. Same type of people that scream "shoot" when their team is on the power play. Understanding one and not the other is a matter of personal bias and opinion, not logic.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

I have not really watched ESPN since they took hockey broadcasts off and its no surprise that their coverage lacks given they don't broadcast the sport.

I am happy that hockey is a niche sport in USA. The larger the fan base the lower the lower common denominator is and the more homogenized and marketing related the coverage becomes.

There are ways to get all NHL broadcasts now from anywhere you live. I'd like to see hockey stay in 4th or lower.

IMO ESPN is a lot like standard and poor. They shouldn't have the clout that they do in the sports world, they should be just another sports outlet but for some reason ESPN gets so much credibility.

Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:38 PM
CHarlieDontSurf

I am so sick of these ESPN threads. If you don't like it DON'T WATCH IT. Unless a game is on I don't watch ESPN for every ANY sport, and this is coming from a big football and baseball fan. ESPN has turned into a big joke of a sports soap oprea, and I refuse to take that garbage excuse for a network seriously not just as a hockey, but as a sports fan in general.

With the NHL, NFL, MLB networks I wonder why ESPN is still even relevant, and for how much longer.

CHarlieDontSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Comcast now owning NBCUniversal and rebranding Versus as the NBC Sportsnetwork will go a long way for hockey's exposure. They've already stated more games will be broadcast during the regular season and, if I'm not mistaken, every playoff game as well.

The NHL did what was in their best interest by maximizing their revenue as well as their exposure. Good on Bettman.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:46 PM
The Grinder
No Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanGi View Post
Some posters here have a serious obsession with ESPN.
It's the Americans caused by our lack of respect hockey gets in this country.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is why I wish TSN was in the states. They treat hockey like ESPN treats the NFL. I would kill to have TSN in the states.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sarahjane14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What's unfair is that you get TSN instead. I'd gladly swap out my 45 ESPN spinoff channels just to get TSN.
I feel bad that you don't. I even prefer TSN over CBC for hockey commentary.

sarahjane14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

So when did it become written in stone that the NBA is more popular than the NHL? I realize here in MN I don't get the best national perspective on things––the T-Pups are and have always been a joke, while the Wild just somehow became the most talented team in the market––but I see the NHL and NBA on about the same level of popularity on average (with regional differences, of course). But the crucial distinction is that I see the NHL growing and the NBA stagnating. Look at the turnouts for the Cup parades in Chicago and Boston, and see how the game is booming in "the NBC markets" (Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Chicago, New York, Washington, etc.). Look at teams actually starting to succeed with non-traditional fans in places like Tampa and Nashville––seriously, Nashville is selling out ice hockey games! Look at somewhere like St. Louis, in the heart of the midwest (football country!) with a relatively poor team, selling every single seat last season. Look at the phenomenal success and wide appeal of the Winter Classic. Look at the huge ratings gains for the Cup Finals. Look at the record TV deal the NHL signed with NBC. I just don't see the same kind of growth and new enthusiasm out of the NBA.

Then look at ticket prices: NHL ticket prices have consistently risen, whereas 2009 and 2010 both saw declines in NBA average ticket prices. 2010 saw the average NHL ticket going for $54.25 (and rising!) and the average NBA ticket going for $48.08 (and falling).

I'd concede that Basketball is more popular on the whole than Hockey in the US, thanks to March Madness and the fact that Basketball is simply cheaper and easier to play at the grassroots level, but I wouldn't say the same about their respective leagues.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

ESPN is bashing hockey because they don't have a contract to cover the games, that's all. Honestly I don't watch them at all because I'm not a fan of the few baseball or basketball teams that they religiously cover, and I have almost stopped caring about the NFL.

I think the NHL has overtaken the NBA already. The NBA's credibility took a huge blow when the referee scandal broke a few years ago, and they have lost a lot of fans because of it. The NBA also only has 5 or 6 teams that are worth watching, every other team is just terrible. It still gets tremendous coverage because of the television deal that it has with numerous different networks. I don't see all of the networks picking up the NBA in the future.

MLB is run in much the same way, with 6 or 7 teams that are great every year. The other teams are there to be feeder teams for the big clubs who offer huge money to talent developed in one of the smaller markets. MLB like the NBA has a contract with ESPN among other networks and they therefore promote the game. It's hard for me to judge how the NHL compares to MLB because hockey and baseball are played in different seasons.

The NFL is of course more popular than hockey and I think it always will be, but it has taken it's hits too. The names of Vick, Rothesburger, Lewis, and Moss come to mind. I dislike how commercialized the game has become and how during every waking moment of football season it's shoved down people's throats. I also think that people are turned off by the fact that every time they kick the ball for any reason except a punt there are two commercial breaks.

Hockey doesn't appeal to as many people as football does, but I think it's about on equal terms with baseball and above basketball in an increasing number of areas. I do see the NHL eventually being neck and neck with MLB for number 2 of the big 4 sports, just because hockey is played in the wintertime and baseball in the summertime. The NBA will continue to slide downhill for the foreseeable future due to money problems and the way it's run. The NHL will see a huge boost in the number of people who pay attention because of the new NBC sports network, and the fact that it apparently will be available to a much wider audience than before.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
This is good.

I don't want the NHL to go down the road of the NFL and the NBA: they make more money but that's about it. I believe in markets and the pursuit of profits but only to a certain extent: the NHL is doing better in some regards than the NFL and NBA (hard caps and very strong growth).
Growth matters far more than the bottom line I feel.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
SixOneFour
HFBoards Sponsor

I only watched ESPN to catch the highlights from games I missed, but now that I have NHL Network there's no need for ESPN.

08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

The funny part about it is ESPN has lost a lot of its luster over the past ten years too.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote