HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's more likely, Habs get 100pts, or miss playoffs?

Old
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
reffree

vCash: 500
I think there's alot of "?" in the Habs lineup.

First, for sure Markov and Georges are back, but they also lost Wiz, Sopel and Hamrilk. So there "as of now" healthy defense have Gill/Spacek on the top 4 and a rookie pencil in the 6th spot. That's not alot of dept if there's injuries or if Emelin, Weber, Diaz, etc don't get the job done. I trust Gorges to be the same, but who know's if Markov will still be a top 10 d ? Subban is young, will he improve or suffer the infamous sophomore slump ?

In offense Cole is the only addition, a pretty good addition on paper for that small foward group. But, Cole has played without Eric Staal only one time in his carrer and it wasn't a succes (ask Oilers fans). How will he adjust ? Cammallari and Gomez have room for improvement but will they ? Eller, Pacciorrety and Desharnais looks good per moments last year, can they look good for a complet year ? In know some fans think MaxPac is a shoe in for 30 goals this year but he would not be the only young player to look good 15-20 games to "regress" after.

Price had a pretty good years last year, but again, will all know how goalies stat goes rollercoaster from year to year ... he can improve, but there's more room the other way.

I see the Habs being a bubble team again this year, I think they're good enough for the playoff, but there's 9 teams I see good enough for the playoff, so one won't make it. Will it be the Habs ?

Depends on thoses "?"

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Obviously, but Price's performance was so strong last season it's like suggesting that the Ducks will be better this season because Perry has the chance to improve on a 50-goal season. Nothing against Perry, but I'd bet against him having another sky-high shooting% for the same reason I'd bet against Price having another sky-high save%.
Price is unlikely to repeat last year's performance. But even if his SVS% drops a few (I really doubt it will be a big dip), I don't think it will mean the downfall of the Canadiens. The team was 8th in the league for GA. The system is hermetic and frustrating to play against. With a bit of a healthier defense (fingers crossed), the Canadiens shouldn't have too much problems keeping the puck away from the net.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Obviously, but Price's performance was so strong last season it's like suggesting that the Ducks will be better this season because Perry has the chance to improve on a 50-goal season. Nothing against Perry, but I'd bet against him having another sky-high shooting% for the same reason I'd bet against Price having another sky-high save%.
I see your point, but it's not quite the same. You know Price is going to face somewhere around 2000 shots next season, and save percentage isn't really affected by games played, time on ice or linemates. I have no clue if Perry will have anywhere close to the same number of quality scoring chances as he did last year, there are far too many factors at play.

Aside from that, Perry scored 50 and was a good 10% better than 2nd place Stamkos at 45. Price was actually tied for 8th in the league in save percentage for everyone who played 25+ games, not exactly mind blowing. I find it difficult to believe that Thomas will repeat his .938 from last season since that's shockingly high and no one has come close in recent years. A .923 from Price isn't that crazy to expect again next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
I think there's alot of "?" in the Habs lineup.
Just like every other team in the league.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:28 PM
McNuts

If they are not unlucky with injuries, it's more likely they get 100 points. The comeback of Markov, Gorges and Pacioretty will have a huge impact.

Of course if everything goes according to the trend, they will lose half their D-corps and 2 of their top 6 forwards and barely make the playoff's because of their goaltending.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:35 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

100 points, though both scenarios are fairly unlikely.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The chances are about even. 100 points isn't this magical barrier that automatically indicates an elite season like it once was. Now teams in the low-mid 90s are missing the playoffs due to 3-point games.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

That's a tough one

On one hand, they are a pretty good team (with Price) and got 96 last year, so logically it's not unlikely they could get 2 more wins to hit 100

On the other hand, other teams will be better this year like the Rangers, the leafs will be harder, the sabres will be harder, I think they'll have a tougher go with Boston even if that just means one less win...So it's a toss up

I think they'll finish with 92 points and make the playoffs

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
If they are not unlucky with injuries, it's more likely they get 100 points. The comeback of Markov, Gorges and Pacioretty will have a huge impact.

Of course if everything goes according to the trend, they will lose half their D-corps and 2 of their top 6 forwards and barely make the playoff's because of their goaltending.
Pacioretty didn't miss a significant portion of the season, at least compared to Markov and Gorges. It's just that he stepped it up big time before his injury. We can only hope that he picks it up where he left it. Eller was showing good signs and almost convinced some of us that we didn't get completely fleeced in the Halak trade (Price's play helped in that perception).

Call me crazy, but I think the Habs are more than able to compete with the Sabres and more importantly, the Bruins. Yes, the Bruins won the Cup and their lineup isn't really changed, but we took them to game 7 OT! Couldn't be closer than that . Don't forget that the Habs will also get 12 free points from the Sens We only need to find 88 other points!

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Datsyukian

Miss the playoffs but neither are going to happen

Datsyukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
MikeyMagic

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
I'd say miss the playoffs is far more likely than them getting 100 points. The east saw a number of teams behind them improve, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up missing the post season.

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well last time I checked, the goalie was part of the roster wasn't he? Why is it an handicap that the Habs have had goalies who have performed exceptionally? Furthermore, while it's true the goalies have been exceptional, not enough credit is given to the Habs coaching staff which IMO, has them prepared to play almost every night.

Habs have had success because they're well coached, they execute their system very well and benefit from exceptional goaltending and clutch goal scoring.

That's their identity...just like the Flyers and their explosive offense is their identity.
Where did I say that the goalie is separate from the team? Just because they play on the same team doesn't mean that every player is equal and that no one player can be more valuable than another. Not sure what you're trying to lecture me about the Habs system when I clearly said that people sometimes don't give enough credit to the rest of the team. If the team's identity relies on exceptional goaltending and clutch offense, then I don't get why you need to defend the notion that goaltending has played a huge part in the Habs success. That's the truth and if I had said it as a knock on the rest of the team, I wouldn't have bothered to mention that the rest of the team doesn't always get enough credit for their contributions. I feel like you've reinforced everything I said in my post....or was that your intention? Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post. Not sure anymore if you were trying to argue against my point or not.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
In all fairness, for the past two years, the Habs have been in the bottom half of the East in goal scoring. That says that the team has a harder time scoring than all of the other teams ahead of them. When you have trouble scoring, you need great goaltending to make up the difference and for the past two years, the Habs have had exceptional goaltending to make up for their scoring deficiencies so while it's discrediting to their forwards to suggest that it was ALL about the goalie, the fact still remains that for the past two years, their goalie situation has been huge to their success. I do think sometimes people overstate that in an attempt to discredit every other player on the Habs team, but taking out the exaggeration, I still think there's a lot of merit to the suggestion that the Habs aren't necessarily a lock for playoffs with an inconsistent or just average goalie between the pipes for them.
The Habs don't have scoring deficiencies, we're coached by Jacques Martin. Any team under him would have lower GF totals. The difference is we're a lot harder to score on.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
100 points isn't what it used to be, 8 teams had 100 points last year, with another 3 at 99 points.

I would say it is 50/50, but I'm guessing neither will happen. They will make the playoff and not get 100 points.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze23 View Post
The Habs don't have scoring deficiencies, we're coached by Jacques Martin. Any team under him would have lower GF totals. The difference is we're a lot harder to score on.
Habs were shutout 9 times this season. Third worst record for the season. I don't think it matters what coach you play under, I'm sure somewhere in his system and game plan, there's something there about scoring goals every game. Maybe the Habs system benefits and masks their scoring difficiencies rather than being the cause of it. Maybe the team doesn't ever struggle to score, but I personally haven't seen anything to convince me that's true. Not saying I'm right, just basing it on what Ive seen with the team and how I interpret that area of their game.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Kings of Komarov

miss the playoffs. I don't think any team in the NE is clearing 100 pts.

Kings of Komarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Get tons of injuries, miss the playoffs by a mile, tank, get Yakupov, win the division, conference and cup following season. End of thread.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Get tons of injuries, miss the playoffs by a mile, tank, get Yakupov, win the division, conference and cup following season. End of thread.
Yakupov has signed a 10 year $300M contract with the Moscow Popovs

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

miss the playoffs. their blueline is just waiting to be plagued with injuries and their top 6 are mostly overpaid and lazy

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleDaddy View Post
Am I the only one that has a very difficult time trying to figure out where the Habs will fit into the Eastern conference standings? I think I picked them to miss the playoffs for the last two seasons, thinking their roster had some serious holes. I'm thinking now that their success can be attributed to coaching, and certainly in the last season, goaltending.

I'm not so sure that they can rely on another stellar season from Price, and the division appears to be stronger than in the last few years.

So my question is: Is it more likely that the Habs will get 100pts in 2011-2012, or miss the playoffs?

Well since they made the playoffs the last 2 seasons while having several key players missing a lot of games, if they stay healthy this year, they will be in the top 3 in the East. If they battle injuries like the last 2 seasons, they will still make the playoffs.

The Habs are a great team that has a great coach for a change....thats what makes the difference. If they still had guys like Carbo or Julien coaching, they wouldn't have had as much success as they had the last 2 seasons. With any luck at all this season, they will be healthy and competing for the top spot in the East!!

GO HABS GO!!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Well since they made the playoffs the last 2 seasons while having several key players missing a lot of games, if they stay healthy this year, they will be in the top 3 in the East. If they battle injuries like the last 2 seasons, they will still make the playoffs.

The Habs are a great team that has a great coach for a change....thats what makes the difference. If they still had guys like Carbo or Julien coaching, they wouldn't have had as much success as they had the last 2 seasons. With any luck at all this season, they will be healthy and competing for the top spot in the East!!

GO HABS GO!!!
Perhaps Julien wasn't able to succeed in Montreal because the team wasn't and just isn't very good. Boston on the other hand...

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Miss the playoffs

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
I say they win the prez' trophy with 117 pts, then get swept by 8th seed Maple Leafs in the firste round. Riots ensue.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I say they win the prez' trophy with 117 pts, then get swept by 8th seed Maple Leafs in the firste round. Riots ensue.
This is like predicting the sky to be blue tomorrow, though.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Bleeker

Without any major injuries on key players , they have the assets to clinch the division so 100 points is not out of reach

Bleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
100 points, though both scenarios are fairly unlikely.
This....

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote