HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury is considering retirement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
  #76
Rangers4Life74
Registered User
 
Rangers4Life74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No why is that? You wish for him to get hurt and miss 50 games? Wishing injury on a player who gave his body for the Rangers? He now has to live with those aches and pains and bad knees for the rest of his life. Yeah, let's hope he gets hurt again. Good call.
i didnt wish injury on him.but judging by what happened last year,the chances of him and his bad knee being able to stay healthy for most of the season isnt very good.

try reading next time,it really does wonders.

and forgive me if i dont pity a multimillionaire for having to suffer aches and pains for the remainder of his life while he lays out in his 3 million dollar pool and tells his grandchildren how he hit a game winning homerun in the little league world series.

again,read what i write next time,nowhere did i wish inury on him.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
  #77
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No why is that? You wish for him to get hurt and miss 50 games? Wishing injury on a player who gave his body for the Rangers? He now has to live with those aches and pains and bad knees for the rest of his life. Yeah, let's hope he gets hurt again. Good call.
I'm pretty dead sure that was not the angle he was aiming for. He could either laugh back because you were dead wrong, or because Anaheim's GM is acting dumb signing a half dead bum on old merits. Not that he would be the first.

And "having to live for the rest of his life with his ailments" is exactly what he got paid tens of millions for, doing something he enjoyed. That sounds more like privileges, not sacrifices, like other workers who suffer just as much, but get paid with spit.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:01 AM
  #78
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
You guys really don't think he would've collected his money without it counting against the cap if that was in anyway possible?
There was. If he retired before he was bought out, he would have collected his $5M insurance payment and the cap hit would disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
This **** should be thrown at the CBA regulation, not Drury. If he retires the cap hit should dissapear, it doesn't.
I can't decide if I agree. It potentially opens up a loophole just begging for collusive agreements behind the scenes that could either help both parties or really damage one or the other.

The bottom line for me is that we found out about Chris Drury's career threatening degenerative knee BEFORE he was bought out. Does the player have an obligation to tell the team that he may no longer be able to play before they commit to 2 years of dead cap space? That's the heart of the debate here.

I also have to say that it always bothers the **** out of me to see people using Drury's tenure as a Ranger to characterize his career. The guy didn't give himself the nickname "Mr. Clutch" ya know. If you're too young to have watched those turn of the century Avalanche teams, ok, you get a pass. For the rest, know what you're talking about before making ignorant comments about a player who you obviously never saw play before he joined this team.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
  #79
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
i didnt wish injury on him.but judging by what happened last year,the chances of him and his bad knee being able to stay healthy for most of the season isnt very good.

try reading next time,it really does wonders.

and forgive me if i dont pity a multimillionaire for having to suffer aches and pains for the remainder of his life while he lays out in his 3 million dollar pool and tells his grandchildren how he hit a game winning homerun in the little league world series.

again,read what i write next time,nowhere did i wish inury on him.
I read what you wrote perfectly fine. You said you would laugh when his bad knees force him to miss 50 games.

I may have taken it the wrong way from what you meant, but its an internet forum, it's not always the easiest thing in the world to decipher exactly what someone is trying to say.

If that is not what you mean than I apologize.

However you just pretty much said you don't give a **** about the guys health after watching all that he gave for the franchise, the sport and his country in countless tournaments you don't give a ****?

That is the type of attitude that really bothers me.

Did he live up to expectations? Of course not. But why do people take it so personally? Did he kick you in the nuts or something?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
  #80
Rangers4Life74
Registered User
 
Rangers4Life74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I read what you wrote perfectly fine. You said you would laugh when his bad knees force him to miss 50 games.

I may have taken it the wrong way from what you meant, but its an internet forum, it's not always the easiest thing in the world to decipher exactly what someone is trying to say.

If that is not what you mean than I apologize.

However you just pretty much said you don't give a **** about the guys health after watching all that he gave for the franchise, the sport and his country in countless tournaments you don't give a ****?

That is the type of attitude that really bothers me.

Did he live up to expectations? Of course not. But why do people take it so personally? Did he kick you in the nuts or something?


truthfully?no,i really could care less about him.

i love how people want to talk about all that Drurys given to this team.no offense,but Callahan gives everything Drury gave this team and more for alot less money while actually producing on the ice.

the man was paid a hell of alot of money to produce here and he didnt.sure,its not his fault for the contract the bafoon Sather gave him,but lets face it,he didnt do anything special in his time here.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
  #81
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The bottom line for me is that we found out about Chris Drury's career threatening degenerative knee BEFORE he was bought out. Does the player have an obligation to tell the team that he may no longer be able to play before they commit to 2 years of dead cap space? That's the heart of the debate here.
Which is why the guy deserves zero respect.

Quote:
I also have to say that it always bothers the **** out of me to see people using Drury's tenure as a Ranger to characterize his career. The guy didn't give himself the nickname "Mr. Clutch" ya know. If you're too young to have watched those turn of the century Avalanche teams, ok, you get a pass. For the rest, know what you're talking about before making ignorant comments about a player who you obviously never saw play before he joined this team.
I did watch him play. He had guys like Peter Forsberg on his line, that helped. He was fortunate to have better players around who could lift him, until he came here, when he was paid to be expected to be the better player who could lift others, which obviously turned out as a disaster. Like I said, that was $ather's boneheaded decision, but Drury can't exactly have been expecting to be paid $7m a year to juggle bananas either.

And do you try to make some sort of point in players not giving themselves nicknames? Others do, for specific reasons. Like that fans believed Drury was a clutch player? I honestly don't see the need to defend such dime of a dozen players like Chris Drury, especially not when he exits the franchise like a ******, an action in the complete contrary of one of the last bastions of defense anyone could have left, to defend him and his "intangibles."

It's not like he was some sort of half god even during his best years. While he was infinitely better when he was younger (struggling to get more points than your goalie isn't that hard to outperform), he was still nothing more than a 2nd liner. When he lost that extra step in his skating, he became a much worse player. His puck sense was never that good to begin with.

And honestly, I couldn't care less how he performed on other teams. He came to this team, which actually matters, quickly became one of the biggest albatrosses in the league and exited with a last slap over the face of his team and fans. That matters. Lastly, as I feel your comment was directed towards me, I have zero understanding why you brought up Drury's earlier career, as I sure didn't, as it has zero relevance to this discussion. Drury was called "clutch" when he came here as well, but that pretty quickly turned into sarcasm.


Last edited by Chimp: 08-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:29 AM
  #82
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
And do you try to make some sort of point in players not giving themselves nicknames? Others do, for specific reasons. Like that fans believed Drury was a clutch player? I honestly don't see the need to defend such dime of a dozen players like Chris Drury. It's not like he was some sort of half god even during his best years. While he was infinitely better when he was younger, he was still nothing more than a 2nd liner.
He WAS a clutch player Chimp. You can't take the GW's away and you can't discount them because Joe Sakic was on the ice at the time they were scored. I watched those games. All of them. I know and understand the context under which they were won. These were very impressive performances from a young player that wasn't a superstar in the league. They were the kind of performances that fans of this team would soil themselves over if anyone on this roster had been able to come up with one over the past decade.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:33 AM
  #83
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
And honestly, I couldn't care less how he performed on other teams.
Yah, that's pretty much the basis for my criticism of your Drury bio.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
  #84
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Yah, that's pretty much the basis for my criticism of your Drury bio.
What bio? How did the mentioning of his "mr clutch" turn into some 5 page dossier about his entire career? It would feel alot more relevant to discuss his entire career, if we had him here when he was 20.

Since when did Islanders fans care about Yashin's performance in Ottawa? Or since when did we care about Redden's performance in Ottawa?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
  #85
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
What bio? How did the mentioning of his "mr clutch" turn into some 5 page dossier about his entire career? It would feel alot more relevant to discuss his entire career, if we had him here when he was 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He was nowhere during his career here worth more than maybe half what he got paid and at the end not even 1/7th.
I'm looking at Drury's career from the perspective of a HOCKEY fan. Obviously, the NYR fan in me wishes the whole episode never even took place.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
  #86
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm looking at Drury's career from the perspective of a HOCKEY fan. Obviously, the NYR fan in me wishes the whole episode never even took place.
That's exactly my take on it as well.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
  #87
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Good thing about that is you'll never, ever, EVER have to worry about the best pizza place in the world being in Connecticut.
Actually. CT has some of the best if not the best pizza around.

CT (New Haven Specifically) claims to be the originators. If you ever have the chance there are 2 places in New Haven that folks debate back and forth about. Sally's and Pepe's. Frank Pepe has actually recently opened a place in Yonkers NY (year or so ago) He now has several places.

The pizza is awesome.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
  #88
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
...The last time Dreary was clutch, was against us. But, again, that will probably not ruin Drury's weekend.
Last game of the year, needing to win in order to get in the playoffs, scoring when the Devils were up 1-0 was pretty damn clutch in my opinion.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:38 PM
  #89
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
ill laugh even harder when his bad knee forces him to miss 50 plus games and he ends up with 7 points.
Same here.

I'll never understand the glee some people take in watching former players come back and bite us.

Drury playing a decent 3rd line role in Anaheim bothers me and I hope he misses 75% of the season due to injury so that it would solidify the decision to send his arse packing.

I want NO FORMER PLAYERS TO DO WELL.

NONE.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
  #90
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Last game of the year, needing to win in order to get in the playoffs, scoring when the Devils were up 1-0 was pretty damn clutch in my opinion.
no doubt.

Now here's your hat, don't let the door hit you, where the good lord split you.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
  #91
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Just wow, what a nose dive for the Ducks if that turns true. Replacing a 30+ goal scorer and given Hall of Famer with a half dead bum won't exactly be an improvement. And one player with knee problems with another. Perhaps both just retire.

And on another note, I knew this would happen (Drury probably retiring after he has sucked out the last dollar he could suck out, because he is unable to play anyway) and I have zero respect left for Captain Flypaper after this. I don't care how much you claim "He has to look after his family and future", he has earned millions of dollars dragging this team down with him to his measly level of performance when he played here and he has earned millions being a Grade A albatross. That should've been enough. Of course he had to squeeze out every last dollar. Like I've said, if Drury was Russian instead of "Captain America", there would be a lynch mob in here now. Enough is enough dammit.

We all know $ather was responsible for the horrible abomination of a contract Dreary got, but is it too much to ask that he should have some kind of self respect to live up to that contract, more than showing up and "working hard"? This isn't kindergarden, there is no reward for dramatically falling and failing. Not everyone get a diploma. You get $7m to carry your team, or at least your own frigging line, or at least your frigging self, not to juggle bananas.

He was nowhere during his career here worth more than maybe half what he got paid and at the end not even 1/7th. It's not the money he robbed Dolan on I care about, not one bit, it's that he hurt the team, even on the cap when he has to be literally kicked out from the club to get the message that he's a sinker and then retires, for money he didn't earn. Some captain huh? But I guess that won't ruin his weekend.

Näslund was here one year and showed more respect for himself and his teammates - and showed more class than the 7 million dollar Blair Betts did during his entire... I even try to repress how many teeth grinding years that hobo has been on the team. And Dreary was supposed to be the captain... I guess that's the difference between a former elite player and a pretender.

The only positive in this Captain Crutch mess is that the bum is finally gone and that this is perhaps the last time (apart from when I have to look at the cap hit) I even have to think about him looking like he's loafing around on the ice, even when he's trying his hardest. Finally! FINALLY! FINALLY!




And I have to say it one last time when I have the chance. Mr Clutch. MR CLUTCH! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, once during a pre-season game against some Russian KHL team no one can even remember the name of. The last time Dreary was clutch, was against us. But, again, that will probably not ruin Drury's weekend.
i read this post before i read who posted it....and i was like...man, that sure reads like a Chimp post...looks like i was right

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM
  #92
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I'm pretty dead sure that was not the angle he was aiming for. He could either laugh back because you were dead wrong, or because Anaheim's GM is acting dumb signing a half dead bum on old merits. Not that he would be the first.

And "having to live for the rest of his life with his ailments" is exactly what he got paid tens of millions for, doing something he enjoyed. That sounds more like privileges, not sacrifices, like other workers who suffer just as much, but get paid with spit.
yep, im a hockey player...may ppl here are hockey players...we all have bumps, bruises, etc we have to deal with...except i have to shell out roughly 2500 bucks a year to play in all my different leagues...and these guys MAKE that much money in like 1 shift.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
  #93
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Last game of the year, needing to win in order to get in the playoffs, scoring when the Devils were up 1-0 was pretty damn clutch in my opinion.
This. It's not Drury's fault Sather vastly overpaid him.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
  #94
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,064
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
So let me get this straight. You guys sign a contract with a company. Now, in the last year of it, you are medically unable to perform the contract. In fact, you will probably never be able to work again due to injuries you received due to the nature of you work. Now, there is medical insurance that will pay you your full salary. However, your company is restricted by some law on how much they can spend on payroll, so they opt to buy your contract out, which by union law, they can do. Of course, you can do your company a favor and just retire, in which case you will receive no compensation.

What the hell would you do?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
  #95
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So let me get this straight. You guys sign a contract with a company. Now, in the last year of it, you are medically unable to perform the contract. In fact, you will probably never be able to work again due to injuries you received due to the nature of you work. Now, there is medical insurance that will pay you your full salary. However, your company is restricted by some law on how much they can spend on payroll, so they opt to buy your contract out, which by union law, they can do. Of course, you can do your company a favor and just retire, in which case you will receive no compensation.

What the hell would you do?
Just so we're clear, Drury receives $5M either way. The ONLY difference is whether the Rangers get hit with dead cap space or not.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
  #96
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So let me get this straight. You guys sign a contract with a company. Now, in the last year of it, you are medically unable to perform the contract. In fact, you will probably never be able to work again due to injuries you received due to the nature of you work. Now, there is medical insurance that will pay you your full salary. However, your company is restricted by some law on how much they can spend on payroll, so they opt to buy your contract out, which by union law, they can do. Of course, you can do your company a favor and just retire, in which case you will receive no compensation.

What the hell would you do?
I'm assuming, of course, that your analogy works on the presumption that "you" is making nearly $8 million dollars a year.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:34 PM
  #97
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Who cares what Drury is considering?... he is off the team. That should be OT first off...
He gets paid because of CBA. FYI, folks, in this country work and pay are not always closely correlated. Some work without pay, some get paid not to work, some don't work and collect. The fact that most of you get paid only because you come to work doesn't make other people wrong. They just different. Respect diversity and shut up. Dru is alright.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
  #98
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So let me get this straight. You guys sign a contract with a company. Now, in the last year of it, you are medically unable to perform the contract. In fact, you will probably never be able to work again due to injuries you received due to the nature of you work. Now, there is medical insurance that will pay you your full salary. However, your company is restricted by some law on how much they can spend on payroll, so they opt to buy your contract out, which by union law, they can do. Of course, you can do your company a favor and just retire, in which case you will receive no compensation.

What the hell would you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Just so we're clear, Drury receives $5M either way. The ONLY difference is whether the Rangers get hit with dead cap space or not.
This...its not like its just about the money...he was going to get paid the same amount either way...he screwed the rangers over in that aspect...but i dont think it was intentional...i think hes an athlete trying his hardest to make his body do what his mind thinks it can...when he realizes it cant, he'll retire.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
  #99
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,439
vCash: 500
Awards:
Whatever happens, I hope it's soon. Let this be the last Drury thread we ever have.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
  #100
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,064
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
This...its not like its just about the money...he was going to get paid the same amount either way...he screwed the rangers over in that aspect...but i dont think it was intentional...i think hes an athlete trying his hardest to make his body do what his mind thinks it can...when he realizes it cant, he'll retire.
If he just retired, like most people in thread indicated he should, he would receive zero.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.