HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate

Old
07-30-2011, 01:56 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
I didn't know you were privy to the "list of consideration".

Pardon me for speculating.
no one knew NJ was going to do what they did, and how it would've played as it turned out.... my point is Trenton wasn't under consideration even if NJ hadn't done what they did.... no one knows which teams the Coyotes have talked to.... all that was released or said it likely isn't a western US Affiliate like when the Coyotes were in SA..... IT'S GOING TO TAKE a while for Trenton to reinvigorate that brand....just like no one knew they'd bought Lowell (Albany)....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
.... my point is Trenton wasn't under consideration even if NJ hadn't done what they did.... no one knows which teams the Coyotes have talked to....
Those two statements are not consistent, if no one knows which teams the Coyotes have talked to, wouldn't Trenton at least be a possibility?

Edit: Another bout of speculation has overtaken me (and I'm sure I'm not the first to have this thought) - Greenville, with the Don and his NY connections, would seem to be another possibility.

Last edited by Kaizen: 07-31-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 06:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Those two statements are not consistent, if no one knows which teams the Coyotes have talked to, wouldn't Trenton at least be a possibility?

Edit: Another bout of speculation has overtaken me (and I'm sure I'm not the first to have this thought) - Greenville, with the Don and his NY connections, would seem to be another possibility.
Trenton, likely not....

Old
08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Kaizen

Can I ask why

Trenton, likely not....?

Old
08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Can I ask why

Trenton, likely not....?
unless you have a huge roster..... and I already explained why..... some teams split affiliations there's a roster limit on how many contract players can be on an affiliate.... it's not like how our league works in concert w/ the parent....

Trenton likely wasn't under consideration anyway because the contract w/ NJ had they not done what they did.... likely would've been solely NJ..... IT'S VERY similar to how some of our league is owned, you may have local liasons for business but operationally, the parent club pays the bills....

It's like Petrovek paying the Pirates operational costs.... but Phoenix, just like Buffalo, and Washington, and Anaheim, isn't involved in what Petrovek does in business dealings here.... ie the Trustees and the lease issues, just like the City of Glendale is funding there to oversee the Coyotes....

even now, Trenton's new ownership has enough to do and has had the connection w/ Philadelphia previously to reestablish that brand.... and to do what that league is required.... sort of like how Phoenix is viewed.... it's not something you enter in and have it fall apart... besides, typical agreements are on a yr to yr basis....

Buffalo had a plan like that but never accomplished.... some just don't want that expense or the prestige......

Old
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Kaizen

Apparently former SA coach Greg Ireland will be coaching our draftee Andrew Fritsch in Owen Sound next season.

http://twitter.com/#!/gdrinnan

Old
08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Chatted with Treliving today.... They have a new Asst. Coach under contract and hope to make an announcement shortly. They are finalizing a deal with a new ECHL affiliate as well. And, they are not finished signing players.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:05 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates strike new lease deal as renovation bond advances
Published on: 3rd August, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
Portland, ME — If there was any doubt about the Pirates commitment to Portland and the Cumberland County Civic Center. Those doubts should be long-removed by now after the American Hockey League franchise has come to an agreement with the Cumberland County Civic Center trustees on the framework for a new 10-year lease agreement.
Link>>>

Old
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates hire John Slaney as assistant coach. Slaney is a former Piates' defenseman who had a very good AHL career. He fits a mold much like what Eric Weinrich brought to the table.

Old
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Kaizen

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3893

He's had a long career - and all over the place too.

Most guys that play that long are "students of the game".

Edit: http://theahl.com/portland-adds-slan...-coach-p172096

The AHL PR.

Last edited by Kaizen: 08-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Oh wow. John Slaney huh. I wanna say I'm surprised he was still playing up to last season but yeah, the guy's a real pro.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Former Pirate named assistant coach
Published on: 4th August, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
What’s old is new again.

For long-time supporters of the Portland Pirates, the name of former Pirates’ defenseman John Slaney carried with it a certain nostalgia. Now, they’ll just have to look behind the coaches’ bench on game nights as the former defenseman returns to a place where he had success during the early part of his career, catapulting him to become a highly regarded player in the American Hockey League.
Link>>>>

Old
08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Kaizen

From the training camp invitee thread.

Phoenix
*Alex Beauregard LW (Saint John, QMJHL)
*Danick Gauthier RW (Saint John, QMJHL)
*Blake Millman LW (Cape Breton, QMJHL)
*Brandon Herrod RW (Prince Albert, WHL)

Old
08-07-2011, 11:03 AM
topchedda

Quote:
Some of the more likely possibilities would include Chicago, South Carolina, Kalamazoo and Trenton based on geography and the fact these teams (based on last years hookups) appear to only have a single NHL/AHL affiliate.

Another possibility might be swapping affiliates with Florida to improve the AHL/ECHL proximity for both organizations. That would leave Phoenix/Portland affiliated with Cincinnati while Florida/San Antonio would lineup with Las Vegas.

Probably won't play out that way, it just makes too much sense.
Gwinnett is still open.

topchedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchedda View Post
Gwinnett is still open.
Kaizen:

Chicago signed w/ Columbus/ Springfield, why would we have a mid-west affiliate if DM specifically told Portland there is likely an Eastern ECHL affiliate under discussion.... that eliminates Kalamazoo as well

SC was already Portland's affiliate before the Capitals went to Hershey in 2005... why do we want to be a secondary affiliate to that long-standing relationship when you only have a limited amount of players to assign....

Trenton's still transition, I wouldn't trust that market after all that turmoil...

there is no requirement for an ECHL affiliate, so Gwinnett can still be independent if that's their decision....

Old
08-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Kaizen:

Chicago signed w/ Columbus/ Springfield, why would we have a mid-west affiliate if DM specifically told Portland there is likely an Eastern ECHL affiliate under discussion.... that eliminates Kalamazoo as well

SC was already Portland's affiliate before the Capitals went to Hershey in 2005... why do we want to be a secondary affiliate to that long-standing relationship when you only have a limited amount of players to assign....
Trenton's still transition, I wouldn't trust that market after all that turmoil...

there is no requirement for an ECHL affiliate, so Gwinnett can still be independent if that's their decision....
I was unaware DM had told Portland there was an Eastern affiliate under discussion. My speculation was looking at relatively proximate locations, that's it that's all.

Why wouldn't we want a secondary affiliate to a long-standing relationship?

Old
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I was unaware DM had told Portland there was an Eastern affiliate under discussion. My speculation was looking at relatively proximate locations, that's it that's all.

Why wouldn't we want a secondary affiliate to a long-standing relationship?
because you're likely only assigning at the most 3 players to a team and SC likely is being tutored by the primary affiliate and parent philosophy of that organization which may not be what Portland or Phoenix want....

Old
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Kaizen

You can't have your cake and eat it too though.

If the team is not going to set up its own affiliation, by definition someone outside of your organization will be dictating the philosophy at the ECHL level.

Edit: Apparently at one point DM did say "east coast" with reference to the ECHL possibilities, so that is/was definitely on the radar at one point.

As a poster above pointed out, Gwinnett is still open, that would qualify as east coast.

Last edited by Kaizen: 08-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old
08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
You can't have your cake and eat it too though.

If the team is not going to set up its own affiliation, by definition someone outside of your organization will be dictating the philosophy at the ECHL level.

Edit: Apparently at one point DM did say "east coast" with reference to the ECHL possibilities, so that is/was definitely on the radar at one point.

As a poster above pointed out, Gwinnett is still open, that would qualify as east coast.
wrong... why would you let Washington dictate their philosophy on a Coyotes prospect, Kaizen..... the primary affiliate has been instructed to play the parent club style even at the ECHL Level just as Edwards, and Dineen before him did w/ SA, AND ANA/BUF....

AGAIN, you're grasping at straws when you speculate here.... no one pinned down whom the Coyotes were under discussions with when it was revealed....

Old
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Kaizen

So you think that a team assigning "at most 3 players" should be able to tutor their own organization's philosophy?

Good luck with that.

And AGAIN, all I'm engaging in is idle speculation so if you'd like to characterize that as grasping at straws you go right ahead.

Last edited by Kaizen: 08-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old
08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
So you think that a team assigning "at most 3 players" should be able to tutor their own organization's philosophy?

Good luck with that.
you don't understand that's the most players are assigned, but most don't.... look at what's occurring w/ the Kings right now.... Ontario isn't thrilled w/ their scenario but adding a secondary affiliate is not in the best interest of the overall goal....

but each team has its own philosophy in how they develop prospects... makes no sense to have a player learn another organization's "trade secret" because it's not your organization that's the primary affiliate(coaches, etc....) What advantage is it to DM to have a prospect learn under another's philosophy then when he gets to the AHL that is not what Edwards wants said prospect to learn.... the goal is for Portland to play the style Phoenix plays....

Old
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
you don't understand that's the most players are assigned, but most don't.... look at what's occurring w/ the Kings right now.... Ontario isn't thrilled w/ their scenario but adding a secondary affiliate is not in the best interest of the overall goal....

but each team has its own philosophy in how they develop prospects... makes no sense to have a player learn another organization's "trade secret" because it's not your organization that's the primary affiliate(coaches, etc....) What advantage is it to DM to have a prospect learn under another's philosophy then when he gets to the AHL that is not what Edwards wants said prospect to learn.... the goal is for Portland to play the style Phoenix plays....
That's not true Hutch.... Portland will have it's own style just as whoever the new ECHL affiliate will be will have "it's" own style. It's no different than when Buffalo or Anaheim were affiliated with the Pirates. Dinnen coached his style, which was not drastically different, but it was different.

Each club will take the players they are give and make the best out of the situation.

Old
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Kaizen

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying with the bolded part there, are you saying the max ECHL assignment would be 3 players? OK, that's fine.

I guess the assumption I've made is that you understand the fact that a player has to buy into his team and coach's philosophy regardless of who's signing his paycheque. If a player has to ply his trade while improving under another team's philosophy, so be it.

If a player learns how to win at the ECHL level, the Don isn't going to give two shats what "philosophy" that winning environment developed under.

I can understand generally what you are saying regarding systems and philosophy with respect to the AHL/NHL organization but doesn't factor into the equation at the ECHL level.

We can agree the Coyotes braintrust would like Portland to play the same style Phoenix employs provided they have the resources (players) to do so.

Old
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
That's not true Hutch.... Portland will have it's own style just as whoever the new ECHL affiliate will be will have "it's" own style. It's no different than when Buffalo or Anaheim were affiliated with the Pirates. Dinnen coached his style, which was not drastically different, but it was different.

Each club will take the players they are give and make the best out of the situation.
we still don't know whom the affiliate they were under discussions with, which is why I don't think being a "secondary affiliate" is the right direction/perception which is why we were replaced by Hershey when Washington left in 2005..... We haven't exactly seen Edwards' style other than what we've been told either....

Old
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Tikhonov re-signed by Yotes
Published on: 10th August, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed another member of last season’s San Antonio Rampage.

The Coyotes re-signed forward Viktor Tikhonov on Wednesday to a one-year, two-way contract. Terms of the contract were not disclosed per team policy.
Link>>>