HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

van Riemsdyk head of the new pack of power forwards

Old
08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
van Riemsdyk head of the new pack of power forwards

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-forwards.html

Good article. I am excited to see what he can do this season.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I expect to hear many more J-V-R chants

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Watching him get stronger and plow through d-lines and score is going to something to behold for the Flyers this coming season .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
esuhock22

"With the summer shakeup in Philly, he's now emerged as the team’s most dangerous offensive threat"

Don't think so...

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:09 PM
tuckrr

JV was a beast this post season...if he plays like that all year he could get 45-50 goals.
It'll be an exciting year for sure

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
"With the summer shakeup in Philly, he's now emerged as the team’s most dangerous offensive threat"

Don't think so...
Actually yes, he probably is.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post

Don't think so...
Maybe not the most dangerous offensive threat but he will be one of them.I expect to see a big jump pts wise for JVR this yr ...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Watching him get stronger and plow through d-lines and score is going to something to behold for the Flyers this coming season .
agree with u.......

Old
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
JV was a beast this post season...if he plays like that all year he could get 45-50 goals.
It'll be an exciting year for sure

he could get at least 30- 35 goals and 70- 75 pts..........

Old
08-09-2011, 03:53 PM
BrindamoursNose

Is Claude Giroux not the most dangerous offensive threat anymore?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Is Claude Giroux not the most dangerous offensive threat anymore?
Who's Claude Giroux?

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Who's Claude Giroux?
Also ran

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
he could get at least 30- 35 goals and 70- 75 pts..........
Yea that's more what im expecting....but if he stays at his playoff pace or goes further, 50 is possible (according to pronger, and I happen to agree)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Good read. If JVR plays like he did in the playoffs this team is not gonna miss Carter too much. Someone else will have to step up to replace Richards still...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Gert B Frobe

JVR is not a true power forward like Ryan Clowe because he doesn't fight.

I don't use smileys

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 08-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Joey Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
JVR is not a true power forward like Ryan Clowe because he doesn't fight.
he did drop the gloves this year if i remember correctly... but, i get what you're saying

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
mdm815

Im a poor college kid so I don't get into the lower bowl too often. But a buddy of mine got me up to MSG for a game last year and our seats were great. Watching him up close at that level was incredible. You could see the flashes of brilliance.

Now off my tangent, I love Claude, but soon enough JVR is gonna be our top offensive threat. He possesses all the tools and the size. I just hope ppl don't sour on him if he doesn't have a monster year.

edit: and in regards to the fighting thing, I disagree. Roles evolve, and the power forward role has changed. There are other ppl on the team who can handle that. W/ that said, JVR will have to take care of himself from time time if he expects to assert himself physically.

Last edited by mdm815: 08-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.
mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Let the overrating begin... Same thing happened with Giroux. They're good players but you'd think they are Top 10 in the league by the way some people talk about them. The majority of people were sour on JVR before he broke out in the playoffs and now everyone loves him.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:09 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Let the overrating begin... Same thing happened with Giroux. They're good players but you'd think they are Top 10 in the league by the way some people talk about them. The majority of people were sour on JVR before he broke out in the playoffs and now everyone loves him.
Nobody is overrating JVR or Giroux both have the chance to do big things pts wise this yr because both will play a bigger role on the team this yr and no one is calling them top 10 in the league read the posts .............

Old
08-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Nobody is overrating JVR or Giroux both have the chance to do big things pts wise this yr because both will play a bigger role on the team this yr and no one is calling them top 10 in the league read the posts .............
The fact that 50 Goals is being mentioned is extreme overrating. One player had 50 goals in 2010 (Perry), three players had 50 goals in 2009 (Stamkos, Ovechkin, and Crosby), and one player had 50 goals in 2008 (Ovechkin).

I don't care how good he was in the playoffs. Maybe some day he may score 50 goals but not too long ago a large part of the Flyers fanbase wanted JVR's head. But in typical Philadelphia fanbase fashion he shows a little flash and he's going to be phenomenal and tear up the league. I've seen that happen enough times with players in this city. And when he doesn't score those 50 goals the fans will want him run out again.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Actually yes, he probably is.
No, he really isn't. 11 good games in the playoffs does not make him more dangerous than Giroux or Briere. I am expecting him to have a breakout season, but that is not a guarantee at all.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:16 AM
mdm815

Well, a lot of Flyers fans hyped up Giroux before he broke out and now he is pretty recognizable around the league. However, I agree that you are going to have ppl calling for his head if he doesn't put up big numbers right away. But that also doesn't take away from the fact that he has shown flashes of brilliance. It's also mid-august, and fun to think about those best-case scenarios.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:33 AM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
The fact that 50 Goals is being mentioned is extreme overrating. One player had 50 goals in 2010 (Perry), three players had 50 goals in 2009 (Stamkos, Ovechkin, and Crosby), and one player had 50 goals in 2008 (Ovechkin).

I don't care how good he was in the playoffs. Maybe some day he may score 50 goals but not too long ago a large part of the Flyers fanbase wanted JVR's head. But in typical Philadelphia fanbase fashion he shows a little flash and he's going to be phenomenal and tear up the league. I've seen that happen enough times with players in this city. And when he doesn't score those 50 goals the fans will want him run out again.
After rereading this thread, what are you trying to accomplish here? Im gonna break down whats wrong with this post.

In response to your first sentence, that's ludicrous. Playoffs are what really matters, and a 21 year old kid put a team of seasoned veterans on his back for stretches.

I don't post on here often, mostly just read, and most knowledgeable fans on here have said for a long time to let him develop, not to rush him. One person in this thread alluded to him scoring 50, and he was agreeing with something that Chris Pronger said, so I haven't yet seen this extreme overrating you're talking about.

No one outside of Philly knew that there was something special about Claude until last season, despite his prior playoff success. I don't think it's far-fetched to presume that JVR's career could progress similarly at this point. Just b.c. Giroux didn't break out yet didn't mean that people were unaware of his skill. I view JVR similarly. You can see that he oozes with talent but just needs to get it together, and I think he will.

Im not trying to come at you or anything, I just don't understand what point you are trying to make. You said yourself he could one day hit 50, but then you basically tell ppl they shouldn't discuss his potential. What's going on here?

Old
08-10-2011, 02:39 AM
hockeyfreak7

The issue here is that people are calling JVR a potential 50 goal scorer based on a post season stretch where he scored 7 goals in 12 games.

First of all, even if he is able to maintain that pace, he still wouldnt break 50 goals. Second of all, that pace is completely unattainable over the course of an 82 game season.

JVR is a potential 35 goal scorer and I have no doubts that he will be there. But cut the 50 goal crap. He'll never be that good.

35 goals is still excellent production...

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:08 AM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The issue here is that people are calling JVR a potential 50 goal scorer based on a post season stretch where he scored 7 goals in 12 games.

First of all, even if he is able to maintain that pace, he still wouldnt break 50 goals. Second of all, that pace is completely unattainable over the course of an 82 game season.

JVR is a potential 35 goal scorer and I have no doubts that he will be there. But cut the 50 goal crap. He'll never be that good.

35 goals is still excellent production...
The issue that remains is that in this entire thread one person has brought up JVR scoring 50, and that person was referring to a Pronger quote that he happened to agree with. So I still fail to see where anyone in this thread is being unreasonable. Most ppl in here have said similar things, ~35 goals. Sometimes I feel ppl argue simply for the sake of arguing.

edit: to be more precise, one person has mentioned 50 twice. His quote was along the lines of "if he keeps that pace all year he could score 45-50." He would actually score 48. Which makes his statement a fact.