HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Winter Classic, Monday, January 2 at 1 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
well, yeah, but as stated before, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity for clarke and lindros to kiss and make up? at least for the cameras? the fans are long since over it.
Yes, it would be a great opportunity... I just do not believe it will happen. Even if the Flyers make the first step and invite, I just don't see Lindros accepting it. The Flyers offered the olive branch with the final game at the Spectrum and the captains gathering... that would have been perfect to mend things IMO... His excuse to back out was a weak one in my eyes.

I just believe that Lindros is still too bitter and hurt... I am not pointing fingers, merely giving my opinions.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Yes, it would be a great opportunity... I just do not believe it will happen. Even if the Flyers make the first step and invite, I just don't see Lindros accepting it. The Flyers offered the olive branch with the final game at the Spectrum and the captains gathering... that would have been perfect to mend things IMO... His excuse to back out was a weak one in my eyes.

I just believe that Lindros is still too bitter and hurt... I am not pointing fingers, merely giving my opinions.
this is true but maybe since in the meantime clarke gave him his vote for the hall of fame it makes him think twice about comin back. Its an outdoor game. itd be will johnny leclair and he needs to get over things that were said. his entire legacy and most of his fortune were created with the flyers. So we almost killed him on a flight back from nashville, water under the bridge. i just want to see if the legion still got it cause if they do theyd make a hell of a 3rd line this year.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:

A funeral isn't a good enough excuse?

Old
08-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
this is true but maybe since in the meantime clarke gave him his vote for the hall of fame it makes him think twice about comin back. Its an outdoor game. itd be will johnny leclair and he needs to get over things that were said. his entire legacy and most of his fortune were created with the flyers. So we almost killed him on a flight back from nashville, water under the bridge. i just want to see if the legion still got it cause if they do theyd make a hell of a 3rd line this year.
Great point brought out here... For Lindros to have any legacy beyond Juniors and The Trade it must come through... or at least be tied to... the Flyers Organization.

For better or worse, if Lindros wants to have a serious NHL legacy he must be wed to the Flyers... or else his stats and accomplishments will have to suspend in he air and be stand alone numbers... a not associate with games/series wins. On and off the ice he and the Flyers are forever linked.

That being said, if Lindros is to ever really get his due, he must IMO mend the burnt bridges that he was a partner in destroying... They Flyers have put out their hand for him to shake in the Spectrum Captaincy tribute invitation, and Clarke has given his support for HHoF consideration. The Flyers have recently began to include #88 in opening and between action video clips at the WFC after years of ignoring he ever existed. I believe the Flyers will make another move of some sort, and Eric would be wise to accept it... if he wants to salvage his legacy...IMO.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
IIRC it wasn't a funeral but a tribute... and the person was a relative of a friend and it would have been understandable for him to miss it. If he wanted to attend the Spectrum ceremony he could have easily done so without ruffling any feathers.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
This x 1000

Quote:
IIRC it wasn't a funeral but a tribute... and the person was a relative of a friend and it would have been understandable for him to miss it. If he wanted to attend the Spectrum ceremony he could have easily done so without ruffling any feathers.
Understandable for whom?

Were you part of the grieving family?

Believe it or not, some people have different sets of values in life. Abandoning a friend during a time like that to go stand on the ice before a pre-season game doesn't seem like something any decent person would do.

The organization has been trying to whitewash the Lindros era from fans' minds for years. Lindros not physically showing up was to be expected from both sides. If they want to honor him, then do it correctly.

Last edited by Bort Sampson: 08-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old
08-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
This x 1000

Understandable for whom?

Were you part of the grieving family?

Believe it or not, some people have different sets of values in life. Abandoning a friend during a time like that to go stand on the ice before a pre-season game doesn't seem like something any decent person would do.

The organization has been trying to whitewash the Lindros era from fans' minds for years. Lindros not physically showing up was to be expected from both sides. If they want to honor him, then do it correctly.
This backs up that it was not to attend a funeral: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2479...s=secstory_nhl

This is yet another example of how Lindros has never matured... Responsible adults weigh circumstances and do what is best. Mending the fences at the Spectrum and explaining his absence to a friend would have IMO been the correct thing to do and would have gone a long way to making things right gain between Lindros, the Flyers and Philadelphia.

Surely a true friend would have understood... and would have supported his friend in what he believed he had to do.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:26 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
okay, but he didn't just snub the opportunity to attend the ceremony. he respectfully declined in order to support his friend, and even met the flyers in the middle by recording a video thank you to the fans for the invite and recalling his early years at the spectrum. i don't think it would be outrageous for the flyers to invite him to play in an alumni game or at least make an appearance at the festivities nor do i think he would decline outright; but for him to attend these festivities as a member of the rangers IN philadelphia would be downright moronic. it's flyers or nothing.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
This backs up that it was not to attend a funeral: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2479...s=secstory_nhl

This is yet another example of how Lindros has never matured... Responsible adults weigh circumstances and do what is best. Mending the fences at the Spectrum and explaining his absence to a friend would have IMO been the correct thing to do and would have gone a long way to making things right gain between Lindros, the Flyers and Philadelphia.

Surely a true friend would have understood... and would have supported his friend in what he believed he had to do.
First off, there's more to life than hockey. Maybe you've never played the game and had to stop (if that's the case, you're an NHLer), but there comes a time to put your past behind you.

And the bolded may just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. He did what he thought was right. He made the adult move.

Also, maybe you're just ignorant to customs of other cultures. In some cultures, it's common to set apart a time of the upcoming season to honor a deceased one.

It seems as though you fail to understand that life goes on while pre-season hockey is being played, huh?

Old
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
okay, but he didn't just snub the opportunity to attend the ceremony. he respectfully declined in order to support his friend, and even met the flyers in the middle by recording a video thank you to the fans for the invite and recalling his early years at the spectrum. i don't think it would be outrageous for the flyers to invite him to play in an alumni game or at least make an appearance at the festivities nor do i think he would decline outright; but for him to attend these festivities as a member of the rangers IN philadelphia would be downright moronic. it's flyers or nothing.
I believe if the case were that they have such a game the Flyers would ask him... and I also believe he would decline.

I don't believe he would play for the Rangers, nor do I believe they would ask him... I was just making a point that he would have more respect for the Rangers than the Flyers.

I believe Eric passed up the perfect opportunity to make things right at the Spectrum... If anything the Flyers airing that recorded message was a step by them, because they did for him what they would not do for most anybody else. I believe there is still bitterness on both sides but IMO the Flyers are ready to move on... I'm not as sure about Lindros though.

That said, there will forever be hurt feelings on this IMO.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
First off, there's more to life than hockey. Maybe you've never played the game and had to stop (if that's the case, you're an NHLer), but there comes a time to put your past behind you.

And the bolded may just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. He did what he thought was right. He made the adult move.

Also, maybe you're just ignorant to customs of other cultures. In some cultures, it's common to set apart a time of the upcoming season to honor a deceased one.

It seems as though you fail to understand that life goes on while pre-season hockey is being played, huh?
It was not about preseason hockey... I'm surprised you cannot see the bigger picture here... but what do I know?

Old
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
I believe if the case were that they have such a game the Flyers would ask him... and I also believe he would decline.

I don't believe he would play for the Rangers, nor do I believe they would ask him... I was just making a point that he would have more respect for the Rangers than the Flyers.

I believe Eric passed up the perfect opportunity to make things right at the Spectrum... If anything the Flyers airing that recorded message was a step by them, because they did for him what they would not do for most anybody else. I believe there is still bitterness on both sides but IMO the Flyers are ready to move on... I'm not as sure about Lindros though.

That said, there will forever be hurt feelings on this IMO.
It's pretty easy to move on when you're the side that's clearly in the wrong and the other side just wants to go away.

They vilified the guy, blamed him for their mistakes(take a look at the teams built around Lindros, especially the 97 team), and questioned the heart of a guy who put his health on the line just to win.

Smart fans never thought Lindros had to do something to make the situation right. It's amazing to see the idiots still defending a second-rate organization (with first-rate cash resources), that hasn't delivered a winner with or without Lindros for over three decades.

Quote:
It was not about preseason hockey... I'm surprised you cannot see the bigger picture here... but what do I know?
If it took a ceremony for you to remember the Spectrum, clearly not a lot.

I was there. It was a fun game. I think Downie scored twice that game and Coburn made a nice play, as well. I remember looking up into the banners and being taken back to when I was a kid looking up at those same banners. Still no champions. But you know what we do have? Plenty of ******** ceremonies, with t-shirts and other trinkets for sale.

Also funny to see Primeau being honored at a Spectrum ceremony, donning a Flyers captain uniform. Almost spotlights the lack of intelligence that went into the whole thing. Oh, and before when you said they probably wouldn't have agreed to show anyone else on the jumbotron? They did. They showed Roenick, who also never played as a Flyers inside the Spectrum.

Last edited by Bort Sampson: 08-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
It's pretty easy to move on when you're the side that's clearly in the wrong and the other side just wants to go away.

They vilified the guy, blamed him for their mistakes(take a look at the teams built around Lindros, especially the 97 team), and questioned the heart of a guy who put his health on the line just to win.

Smart fans never thought Lindros had to do something to make the situation right. It's amazing to see the idiots still defending a second-rate organization (with first-rate cash resources), that hasn't delivered a winner with or without Lindros for over three decades.

If it took a ceremony for you to remember the Spectrum, clearly not a lot.

I was there. It was a fun game. I think Downie scored twice that game and Coburn made a nice play, as well. I remember looking up into the banners and being taken back to when I was a kid looking up at those same banners. Still no champions. But you know what we do have? Plenty of ******** ceremonies, with t-shirts and other trinkets for sale.

Also funny to see Primeau being honored at a Spectrum ceremony, donning a Flyers captain uniform. Almost spotlights the lack of intelligence that went into the whole thing. Oh, and before when you said they probably wouldn't have agreed to show anyone else on the jumbotron? They did. They showed Roenick, who also never played as a Flyers inside the Spectrum.
Obviously you do not see the big picture... the forgiving on BOTH sides without blame or really bad words. It was a step by both sides but it could have been a closure of some sort.

I was at the game also but I didn't need it to remember the building where I attended games and events since leaving the military in 1969.

Primeau was honored as a captain, which he was... and why would they not? He was one of many and not singled out in any way -- Lindros was as it turned out, in his video -- Why do you begrudge Primeau his place beside other former captains and the introduction of the current one?

It was not about the Spectrum in our discussion IMO... it is about a chance for both sides to move on.

I will not go into your claim that one side was clearly in the wrong... with that stance there will and can never be peace in his matter. Maybe that is why there isn't.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
I will not go into your claim that one side was clearly in the wrong... with that stance there will and can never be peace in his matter. Maybe that is why there isn't.
Too much time on your hands if you're writing impassioned sentences like this in regard to a broken business relationship between a millionaire former athlete and a conglomerate of millionaires.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Too much time on your hands if you're writing impassioned sentences like this in regard to a broken business relationship between a millionaire former athlete and a conglomerate of millionaires.
And yet you feel compelled to respond?

We were discussing back and forth our views... now you have posted yours too... which is all well and good.

You seem to have it in for millionaires and conglomerates and people with time on their hands... Power to the people.

In all seriousness, I don't care about the broken business relationship... I care about the history of my team being celebrated as it should be.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Obviously you do not see the big picture... the forgiving on BOTH sides without blame or really bad words. It was a step by both sides but it could have been a closure of some sort.

I was at the game also but I didn't need it to remember the building where I attended games and events since leaving the military in 1969.

Primeau was honored as a captain, which he was... and why would they not? He was one of many and not singled out in any way -- Lindros was as it turned out, in his video -- Why do you begrudge Primeau his place beside other former captains and the introduction of the current one?

It was not about the Spectrum in our discussion IMO... it is about a chance for both sides to move on.

So what did Lindros do wrong again? His father was a problem, sure. But what did Lindros do to deserve being left out of Flyers history for so long?

And to the bolded: Primeau was never a captain for the Flyers at the Spectrum. He was never a Flyer on the Spectrum ice.

I also find it pretty telling that you're trashing a guy for not showing up to a ceremony for a pre-season game that you claim you didn't need to attend to remember the Spectrum. If the game itself meant nothing to you, what did the 10-minute pre-game ceremony mean?

People find any reason to bash the guy. Get over it.

Quote:
In all seriousness, I don't care about the broken business relationship... I care about the history of my team being celebrated as it should be.
But you never had a problem with the Lindros era being completely ignored by the current Flyers' organization?

Just now.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
So what did Lindros do wrong again? His father was a problem, sure. But what did Lindros do to deserve being left out of Flyers history for so long?

And to the bolded: Primeau was never a captain for the Flyers at the Spectrum. He was never a Flyer on the Spectrum ice.

I also find it pretty telling that you're trashing a guy for not showing up to a ceremony for a pre-season game that you claim you didn't need to attend to remember the Spectrum. If the game itself meant nothing to you, what did the 10-minute pre-game ceremony mean?

People find any reason to bash the guy. Get over it.

But you never had a problem with the Lindros era being completely ignored by the current Flyers' organization?

Just now.
What did I do to trash Lindros in this thread other than say he decided to not accept the invitation for what I said was a weak excuse... I don't believe that was the reason and I do believe he is not interested in mending fences. Other than that you have not heard me say a bad word about him... certainly didn't trash him as you claim here that I did... I said, and I believe that Lindros will not accept an invitation to an old timers game and respects the Ranger more than the Flyers, I do believe that the Flyers are ready to make nice and would invite him... I do not believe that either side is clearly not at faul nor do I believe either is totally at fault... and at this point I really don't care.

Primeau never captained a game for the Flyers at the Spectrum and neither did Rico, Smith, Forsberg, Hatcher, nor Richards... Clarke never played at the WFC but his banner is in the rafters... Barber, Parent nor Ashbee did either. What is your point? Should the captains have stopped with #88 at the ceremony?

I said I was at he game but didn't NEED the game to have me remember the Spectrum... never said the game meant nothing to me... it was nostalgic and was a send off. The point I was making is that the problem is not that Lindros wasn't there; it was that that was a perfect time to make up.

I will not debate the he said/he said points in the feud... I never meant to argue that when I stated that IMO Lindros wouldn't play in a WC Old Timers Game, I was merely responding to a guy who said that they wanted to see him there with LeClair.

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder against the Flyers and for Lindros and are looking for someone to knock it off... I'm not going to do that, I will no rehash n old fight.

... BTW: How would you know how I felt about #88 being omitted from the clips before now? Maybe I wrote a letter to Mr. Snider every day asking to include them... you have no clue.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

this has nothing to do with the Winter Classic anymore

Old
08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Yes this is correct (other than the old timers game possible invitations)... and I apologize for my part in it... I'm done.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
yea. really. we all agree it would be cool to see lindros out there representin again. thats it. and if they can dust off and fly in renberg ,well thatd be o.k too....and then we can trade him for gratton one more time for fun.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
PuckBoy33

Inside source: will be at PPL Park in Chester

My uncle plays golf with a certain front office individual with the Phils. Forget the game being at CBP. Due to NFL scheduling conflicts, the Linc is also out. Looks like the game will be held at the new soccer stadium a few miles south of Philly.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
My uncle plays golf with a certain front office individual with the Phils. Forget the game being at CBP. Due to NFL scheduling conflicts, the Linc is also out. Looks like the game will be held at the new soccer stadium a few miles south of Philly.
place holds 18.5K. no way

Old
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
PPL Park? No way

Old
08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
place holds 18.5K. no way
If that were the case not all Season Ticket Holders would be able to attend once they gave the NHL, Rangers and Ticket Packaging Agencies their allotment... No way they would or could do that.

Sounds like a leg was pulled around the 19h hole.

Old
08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Foreverinour

apparently tickets are already on sale. my friends gf bought two tickets totalling $1400

Closed Thread