HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training camp

Old
08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
my guess is they bring in at least 1 veteran defenseman on a tryout basis, possibly 2. Not sure they want to give away the ice time to a veteran forward on a tryout this time around...not too many open spots like when Feds made it and even when guys like Nedved got a tryout runw ith us
I agree. Just let the kids play and see if any of them are good enough to make it.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
How is it false? That season when Torts took over he was very complimentary of Paul saying he had taken some serious steps defensively.

Do I want him on the team? Not really, but he would be the type of player I could see them bringing in on a try-out.
Torts ran Mara out of town twice....im not really a Mara fan anyways though...overrated defenseman.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Torts ran Mara out of town twice....im not really a Mara fan anyways though...overrated defenseman.
I prefer Eminger over Mara and I'm not a fan of Eminger.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
True, this is Zucc's contract year. Thomas isn't too small. He's 5'9"/5'10", pretty much Callahan's height. Is Callahan too small? No. Thomas just needs to add weight, he has everything else. An extra inch or two would be great, but he's only 19, he can still grow. Thomas isn't MDZ. Two different players. Thomas is far more consistent than MDZ.
My impression when watching him is that he is small. More Dawes then Callahan...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:12 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
My impression when watching him is that he is small. More Dawes then Callahan...
I'm just stating that people consider Thomas so small, but he really isn't that small. Callahan is virtually an inch taller, if not the same height.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

When and where is this summer camp?

Is it closed for the public and media?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
When and where is this summer camp?

Is it closed for the public and media?
There's no summer camp. The thread is about when training camp starts in mid September.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrelle Lundqvist View Post
I agree. Just let the kids play and see if any of them are good enough to make it.
It's not even really about letting the kids play.

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, Stepan, Prust, Fedotenko, Rupp, Wolski, Christensen, Avery

Then I would imagine Zuccarello, Hagelin, Thomas and Weise are the guys that could push Avery, Christensen and/or Wolski off the roster.

On defense, I wouldn't mind as many as three vets being invited...last year it was Exelby and Semenov and maybe even another vet invite if i remember it right

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
overrated among ranger fans...otherwise, idk.

Old
08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
It's not even really about letting the kids play.

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, Stepan, Prust, Fedotenko, Rupp, Wolski, Christensen, Avery

Then I would imagine Zuccarello, Hagelin, Thomas and Weise are the guys that could push Avery, Christensen and/or Wolski off the roster.

On defense, I wouldn't mind as many as three vets being invited...last year it was Exelby and Semenov and maybe even another vet invite if i remember it right
I do not think Wolski is getting pushed off any roster, and the same for Avery. Just gotta ride out those contracts til the end.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
overrated among ranger fans...otherwise, idk.
I think it is that sick beard that he grows

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Vitto79

well Forwards battling for spots

Zuccarello- good shot if he can put up some pts. I think Wolski stays in the top 6 and Zuke is down. First call up if a top 6 is out

Hagelin- He has the best chance cause it would be in a 3rd line role. Avery's spot is in jeopordy if he does well in camp

Weise- with the depth unfortunately I agree AHL depth, 4th line call up

Newbury, Mitchell- no real shot but likely get a call up if they need a 4th line C. More for AHL scoring

Kolarik- again a shot at 3rd/4th line call up but no long term NHL work

Thurreson- has some NHL games in him, again 4th line

In the end Zuke and Hagelin have potential at full time NHL Duty. IF this was next yr I would say they are in for Feds, Avery, EC Forward spots. Also Wolski likely gone and a top LW FA brought in

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:37 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I do not think Wolski is getting pushed off any roster, and the same for Avery. Just gotta ride out those contracts til the end.
lol after the performance Avery put up the last 2 seasons and the latest drama in the news, you don't think he's riding it out in Hartford if he has a poor camp performance???

I highly doubt Wolski ends up getting sent down, but if they feel he doesn't have a spot or had a bad camp I'm sure they'll try and deal him for whatever they can get. I'm sure some team with an injury or desperate for scoring would take a flyer on him. As much as I'm tired of hearing about how he's scored 60 points before (he was a piss poor hockey player overall then, as he is now) if there's a team that fits the above description they could do worse for scoring help.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
ohbaby

I really want to see this kid Thomas make the team. I am psyched to see this kid excel. His dad was a great player and has helped his son to be NHL ready.

He should open some eyes in the Traverse City Tournament. He had a great season last year and was even better in the playoffs scoring 19 points in 9 games.

Scoring close to a 100 goals the past 2 years in the OHL will get everyone looking at his cannon. But this kid has alot more to offer. His speed is as deadly as his shot. And his size (5'9),... does not make him shy away from going into the corners and getting the puck.

His appearance in last year's Traverse City Tournament and Rangers training camp, will give him valuable insight on what is expected of him to make the Team. Like Stepan last year and like another OHLer who became Rookie of the Year (Jeff Skinner). Neither are much taller, stonger or more skilled than Thomas.

Come October we will all be wanting this Kid to play!

Last edited by ohbaby: 08-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I agree ^. I think Thomas will impress this year very much like Stepan did last season. He has Jeff Skinner 2.0 written all over him.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:24 AM
94now

I'd bring veteran two way C to the camp. John Madden, for instance. For forwards I would think about Samsonov, maybe Wellwood. No need to get D at all. Huge crowd already.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'd bring veteran two way C to the camp. John Madden, for instance. For forwards I would think about Samsonov, maybe Wellwood.
If he still is without a contract, I wouldn't mind that. He can help a lot and make our 4th line very versatile. Prust-Madden-Rupp is almost a 3rd line, and can take a regular shift. Would give Torts the ability to roll 4 lines almost consistantly. They can handle 10 mins a night.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
kovazub94

I also want to see Thomas with the Rangers (AHL would have been the best but unfortunately it is not an option).
Even as a spare forward (if he does not prove to be ready to play in the NHL full-tme) I think it would be best for him to play 30 - 40 games in NHL, learn from teammates in practives and watching a game, participate in WJC and maybe conditioning assignment in AHL (would he be eligible?).

Switching the gear, is Sergei Samsonov been signed? Could he be invited to the camp? He's not a 1st line player that he was thought to be in Boston or Monreal but he could be useful on a cheap as a "utility" forward. He has decent skills and in games I saw him play last season - he played with desire. Any thought?

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I really believe that both Hagelin AND Thomas will impress. Unfortunately theres not much room on the roster. Thomas IF he does outstanding could play LW next to BR and Gabby. Pushes Dubi back to the 2nd line and W2 back to the 3rd line with Stepan which makes us deep.

As far as invites go, I wouldnt be opposed to Madden or Samsonov though I dont think theres room for them either.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I really believe that both Hagelin AND Thomas will impress. Unfortunately theres not much room on the roster. Thomas IF he does outstanding could play LW next to BR and Gabby. Pushes Dubi back to the 2nd line and W2 back to the 3rd line with Stepan which makes us deep.

As far as invites go, I wouldnt be opposed to Madden or Samsonov though I dont think theres room for them either.
It's unlikely IF Thomas makes the team that he would play LW. He's a RW. Doubt he would play with Gabby and Richards. More likely with Step and somebody on the 3rd line. He had a few shifts with Stepan in last years Traverse City tournament. Not sure 3rd line minutes would be ideal for him, but Step did alright with 13 minutes at even strength.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote