HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our success rests on our 2nd-pairing sophomores; true or false?

Old
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
petejudge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No, he needs more than just that. Lundqvist needs to control his level of play, i.e. to elevate his game when needed most and for more than few games. That is what true elite performers able to do. That ability or in Lundqvist case inability is the reason why Rangers haven't had a single playoff to remember with him like we did with Richter.
yeah because lundqvist has really been our issue in the playoffs

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
yeah because lundqvist has really been our issue in the playoffs
Goalie is never the reason for a loss. Offense is. G is the reason for not winning, though. Same applied to defense. Looks like a paradox, but it is true.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Jeff Skinner says hi.
This is for a different thread I suppose but you think Sophomore Jeff Skinner can carry the Canes on his back?

The success the canes have had have been primary due to Staal being a beast and the under-rated Cam Ward being a stone wall. Take both of them out of the equation and matt cullen is their top line center (I think..)

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
No, he needs more than just that. Lundqvist needs to control his level of play, i.e. to elevate his game when needed most and for more than few games. That is what true elite performers able to do. That ability or in Lundqvist case inability is the reason why Rangers haven't had a single playoff to remember with him like we did with Richter.
What about the Caps/Rangers playoff series 3 years ago when we had Gomez and the Rangers average goals per game was like 1 and we were up 3-1?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
What about the Caps/Rangers playoff series 3 years ago when we had Gomez and the Rangers average goals per game was like 1 and we were up 3-1?
The problem there was he couldn't seal the deal and "steal" one more win. I don't think it was Lundqvist's fault--the team in front of him has to score goals too. And even if he had managed to shut Washington down, there is no way you can expect Lundqvist or any goaltender, no matter how great, to keep doing it through a marathon like the NHL playoffs. It has to be a a team effort.

But 94now's contention is valid. We've all seen very good goalies become great at times--Richter obviously comes to mind. The more important the game, the better he played.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
NYRKING30

i didn't read the whole thread but i will agree mcd and sauer are extremely crucial for us this year to be successful. we really can't afford 1 if not both of them to have sophomore slumps. Im a little more worried about mcd than sauer. I feel sauer just has a great defensive mind as it showed all throughout last year. Is it me or does august seem like it is going so slow?

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I'd say false.

Lets say McD and Sauer are absolute studs this year playing 24+ minutes a game of solid hockey. However 12 game in Mark Staal breaks his femur and 14 games in Dan Girardi is severely concussed. We're really in the same boat because it's not that we're resting on 2 sophomore defenders, it's "what if we lose 2 top4 defensemen" and that would damn well hurt any team. The Rangers however would fair quite well because I believe they have 6 top4 defensemen this year in the above mentioned and Del Zotto and Erixon, which is more than most teams.

Baring any long term injuries, or the bubonic plague the Rangers' top6 defenders will be rock solid this year!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
DutchShamrock

Jeff Skinner? How does that prove a point? The Canes missed the playoffs. Narrowly, but they missed it. That is such an ignorant way to make a comment around here and it still missed the mark.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Jeff Skinner says hi.
Yeah, he's ok.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
He MUST have gloved Fedorov's shot. As a regular human being I can see why he didn't do it. But as a fan I cannot forgive him for that.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The problem there was he couldn't seal the deal and "steal" one more win. I don't think it was Lundqvist's fault--the team in front of him has to score goals too. And even if he had managed to shut Washington down, there is no way you can expect Lundqvist or any goaltender, no matter how great, to keep doing it through a marathon like the NHL playoffs. It has to be a a team effort.

But 94now's contention is valid. We've all seen very good goalies become great at times--Richter obviously comes to mind. The more important the game, the better he played.
I'm sorry when did you guys start following the Rangers? In 92 with a 2-1 series lead and a 4-2 lead Richter gave up a goal on a Ron Francis shot from the red line...Rangers lose in OT and drop the next two. Hank has never had the support Richter had.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Are we really going to sit here and blame Lundqvist for not going ape-**** 2.0 and putting up a shut-out every single game? He didn't allow more than 2 goals a game in the series against Washington except the last game. The offense has never been there in the playoffs since Hank's been around, but we are gonna blame Hank for not shutting out the opposition every game? Say what you want but that is just flat out plain ********

If we won the Cup with great offense and Hank was sub-par, would we be sitting here complaining about Hank? No. It's the offense that needs to be changed, and hopefully with Richards and the improved "youngsters", it will happen next year and for the years to come. But to blame Hank is unfathomable...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I'm sorry when did you guys start following the Rangers? In 92 with a 2-1 series lead and a 4-2 lead Richter gave up a goal on a Ron Francis shot from the red line...Rangers lose in OT and drop the next two. Hank has never had the support Richter had.
You're going back a long way in Richter's career--taking a look at his play from after that series, he pretty much put that mistake to bed. You might want to take a look at his career game 7s too.

As for when I started following the Rangers? After my first game at the old Garden on Broadway.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:08 PM
OverTheCap

Can't say I agree. Our success is largely dependent on Gabby bouncing back, the PP, and everyone staying healthy.

While Sauer or McDonagh are very important to the team, they aren't quite as crucial as players such as Lundqvist and Staal, to name a few. If either of them were injured long-term, we'd be screwed. However, I think the team could survive if Sauer or McDonagh were out long-term.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Lundqvist's gold medal from the '06 olympics might have something to say about that.

Sure, one could argue Olympics vs Stanley Cup playoffs, but fact is that in the Olympics, every game is a game 7.

Lundqvist wasn't, isn't, and won't be the reason why. Every goalie has their off-nights, and when they do, it's the guys in front of him that has to bail him out. I can bet my life on that Lundqvist has bailed out his team more than they have bailed out him.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:43 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
If we won the Cup with great offense and Hank was sub-par, would we be sitting here complaining about Hank? No. It's the offense that needs to be changed, and hopefully with Richards and the improved "youngsters", it will happen next year and for the years to come. But to blame Hank is unfathomable...
We not gonna get a great offense any time soon and you know it. Also, only the best players can be criticized. It doesn't make any sense to talk about the rest. Our mediocre forwards cannot play any better. Lundqvist can. And, therefore, should. That is the key to success. Him, Gaborik and now Richards. McD-Sauer are non factor.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
You're going back a long way in Richter's career--taking a look at his play from after that series, he pretty much put that mistake to bed. You might want to take a look at his career game 7s too.

As for when I started following the Rangers? After my first game at the old Garden on Broadway.
Really he put that mistake to bed? 93-94 they won the cup..94-95 bounced in Round 2, 95-96 bounced Round 2, 96-97 bounced in the ECF...

Don't get me wrong I love Richter but he wasn't as great as the OP inflated him to be. In fact I take Hank over Richter 99 times out of 100.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:59 AM
mullichicken25

the individuals who can have the biggest immediate impact on the team's success next season are Gaborik and Henrik

however, the continued development of our younger players is a crucial piece in the team's progression towards contending over the comming seasons

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
Lundqvist's gold medal from the '06 olympics might have something to say about that.
I didn't say he cannot, I believe he is capable. He can be better. 06 was his best year so far. If he wont play better than then or even at same level, he is on decline as team in front playing better defense every year since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
Every goalie has their off-nights, and when they do, it's the guys in front of him that has to bail him out. I can bet my life on that Lundqvist has bailed out his team more than they have bailed out him.
Boston has never been able to bail out Thomas when he had his night off. Yet he won SC for them. It is not about who bails out whom, it about not need to be when it is important. Richter was not as good G as Lundqvist is, but he could do what Hank can't.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Really he put that mistake to bed? 93-94 they won the cup..94-95 bounced in Round 2, 95-96 bounced Round 2, 96-97 bounced in the ECF...

Don't get me wrong I love Richter but he wasn't as great as the OP inflated him to be. In fact I take Hank over Richter 99 times out of 100.
In the regular season I would take Lundqvist, but that one time in the playoffs where it's all on the line, I'd take Richter. Lundqvist has to match Richter's record before he passes him on the depth chart of all-time Ranger goalies as far as I'm concerned.

Also, you forgot the World Cup performance in 1996....

Old
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
chosen

A huge false. Keys to winning are Gaborik and Richards staying healthy.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
chosen

Quote:
In the regular season I would take Lundqvist, but that one time in the playoffs where it's all on the line, I'd take Richter. Lundqvist has to match Richter's record before he passes him on the depth chart of all-time Ranger goalies as far as I'm concerned.

Also, you forgot the World Cup performance in 1996....
Have the squads in front of Richter and Lundqvist trade places and your opinion might differ.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
A huge false. Keys to winning are Gaborik and Richards staying healthy.
agreed. The offense is the key to winning games, especially in the new NHL. Gotta put up goals to win the game

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Have the squads in front of Richter and Lundqvist trade places and your opinion might differ.
I believe in playing the hand you're dealt. But, I'd love to see Lundqvist playing with the pads Richter played with and Richter playing without having to go all the way into the corner to play the puck.

Fortunately, I don't have to pick one or the other to be the Rangers' goalie. I've gotten to see them both. If any goalie can get the Rangers another Stanley Cup in my lifetime, I'm betting on Lundqvist. But, that doesn't mean I have to ignore Richter's abilities and achievements

Old
08-09-2011, 04:04 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
agreed. The offense is the key to winning games, especially in the new NHL. Gotta put up goals to win the game
in the regular season

the playoffs is an entirely different beast, thats where defense and goaltending truely come in to play

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote