HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Bert getting his game back?

Old
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
I'm expecting the standard 40-45 points from him, with a good 10 or so games where he looks great and 72ish games where he looks useless.

As for the Moore hit, even before Bertuzzi became a Wing, I didn't feel that bad for Moore. Not saying Bertuzzi's hit was justified, it wasn't, but his intetion wasn't there to break his neck, and Moore could have just as easily injured other players the way he was. Don't feel bad for the man, he made more money off the lawsuit then he would ever have being a fringe NHL player.
Pls go.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
timmeh

vCash: 500
I hope he continues to do well in Detroit, he doesn't deserve half the crap he gets.

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
ddawg1950

Most Canuck fans realize Bert lost his game well before the "incident."

He has flashes of his peak performances, but they are just flashes. He loses intensity very quickly, and lacks the discipline to maintain that level. But in relative terms, he's on a decent contract for what he delivers.

The real shame is, for one brief, brilliant period he was the dominent power forward in the league...and now he is just a ghost image.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
MaximAmirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
Love him (not many do, but I do) or Hate Him (almost everybody) he looked sick last year and seems to be having fun again. Think he'll get 50-60 points next year or over?
You can't just say the name "Bert" and expect everybody to know who that is.

Are we talking Sesame Street here, or Todd Bertuzzi, or what?

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Bert has some of sickest hands comparable to any elite big man in the history of the sport.
Big statement, i know...
He's also one of the most underrated passers in his prime...

And that skill is still with him to a certain degree and you see it flashes.
Just has lost some speed... and over the last 7-8 yrs players matching his size have become more frequent diminishing his size and strength advantage.

But those hands have kept him around while most would be gone...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
His game back? Not a chance, his game is no longer within the rules(never was actually) so he's fine tuning his style to still be an effective NHLer but his big number days are a memory.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
His game back? Not a chance, his game is no longer within the rules(never was actually) so he's fine tuning his style to still be an effective NHLer but his big number days are a memory.
Of course they are... he's 36, gonna be 37 just after the all-star break.
chance are he doesn't reach last yr's numbers...
But he'll show ya flashes still...

by in large, NO one sticks around that long as a forward unless they have a former elite level skill that they're still milking into the twilight of their career... he still has those hands and he'll tease ya..
Hopefully his legs don't drop on him too much..

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
I'm expecting the standard 40-45 points from him, with a good 10 or so games where he looks great and 72ish games where he looks useless.

As for the Moore hit, even before Bertuzzi became a Wing, I didn't feel that bad for Moore. Not saying Bertuzzi's hit was justified, it wasn't, but his intetion wasn't there to break his neck, and Moore could have just as easily injured other players the way he was. Don't feel bad for the man, he made more money off the lawsuit then he would ever have being a fringe NHL player.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:58 PM
habs_24x

Bert lost his game the moment he hit Moore and never got it back. End of story.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Bert lost his game the moment he hit Moore and never got it back. End of story.
This. It's a shame really, because he was one hell of a player.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Most Canuck fans realize Bert lost his game well before the "incident."

He has flashes of his peak performances, but they are just flashes. He loses intensity very quickly, and lacks the discipline to maintain that level. But in relative terms, he's on a decent contract for what he delivers.

The real shame is, for one brief, brilliant period he was the dominent power forward in the league...and now he is just a ghost image.
I agree. Bertuzzi started declining during the 2003 playoffs. (I will never forgive him for those comments he made against the Wild.) He was pretty bad during the entire 2003-2004 season.

Now he has plateaued as a decent 2nd line playmaking winger.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Haka

People tend to forget that Moore essentially ruined Naslund's career with that hit as well. His elbow was never the same, never once saw him come off the half-boards with his Sakic like snap shot ever again and was just a shell of his former self. So that incident essentially ruined 3 careers, albeit one much much more seriously..

It's too bad.

Bert was one of my favorite players but he was prone to those dumb decisions. I was so mad at him for that attack on Moore.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I think he fits the mold of the wings token aging skilled forward. Someone that can fit in the top 6 or move down and make room if someone is hotter. I don't expect from him much more than the 40 points or so he contributes but ever season he goes on a couple of streaks for sure and the fans have taken to him like a previous poster pointed out.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I agree. Bertuzzi started declining during the 2003 playoffs. (I will never forgive him for those comments he made against the Wild.) He was pretty bad during the entire 2003-2004 season.

Now he has plateaued as a decent 2nd line playmaking winger.
Wait what?... 60 points in 69 games isn't a pretty bad year and he followed it up with a 71 point year. Bert had a lot of **** going on in those times his name was being ripped apart all over the sports world, lost his line mates in Nazzy and BMo and had surgery after being traded to the Panthers after all that he has never looked the same. Nazzy and BMo haven't been the same without Bert, but I sure miss those days.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Wait what?... 60 points in 69 games isn't a pretty bad year and he followed it up with a 71 point year. Bert had a lot of **** going on in those times his name was being ripped apart all over the sports world, lost his line mates in Nazzy and BMo and had surgery after being traded to the Panthers after all that he has never looked the same. Nazzy and BMo haven't been the same without Bert, but I sure miss those days.
You clearly did not watch him play those years. He was one of the biggest floaters I had ever seen.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
vadim sharifijanov

after messier, 2003-'04 bertuzzi was the biggest disgrace i've ever seen in a canucks uniform. after finally seeing what he could do if he applied himself, that 17 goal season was disgusting to watch. i mean, old broken and being sued bertuzzi can still score 17 goals. he had to really try to suck as much as he did in '04.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
I hope he continues to do well in Detroit, he doesn't deserve half the crap he gets.
let's split it down the middle and agree that he deserves exactly half the crap he gets.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Thought a kid stole his NHL 2011 ps3 game and wouldn't give it back.
Wasn't a kid.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:44 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
You clearly did not watch him play those years. He was one of the biggest floaters I had ever seen.
Yeah, I did watch him and he wasn't a floater. He took a step back but far from a float and was nearly a ppg power forward. He lost a lot of his edge but that's understandable seeing how he was being watched very closely at that time.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Yeah, I did watch him and he wasn't a floater. He took a step back but far from a float and was nearly a ppg power forward. He lost a lot of his edge but that's understandable seeing how he was being watched very closely at that time.
seriously? floating doesn't begin to describe '03-'04 todd. he never went to the net at ES, insisted on making drop passes and no-look passes instead of powering through traffic, played almost exclusively on the perimeter, took a million lazy hooking penalties instead of skating back hard on d, took more than his share of selfish retaliatory slashing penalties... it was awful to watch.

how does a guy go from 46 goals to 17 right in the middle of his peak, and with a first team all-star on his line?

something happened that year, whether it was being preoccupied with contract negotiations all year, or being haunted by his disappearing act in the collapse against minnesota the previous spring, or because he started to get called every time he pushed off in front of the net on the PP, or because he was just a lazy POS at heart.

i remember a canucks beat reporter asked todd why he wasn't playing the burly game of the previous two seasons that had vaulted him to superstardom. his response: "i never liked playing that way. i always wanted to play like jagr."

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote