HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): National Leeague Eastern Division Champs

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Then you're a tool. This is the MLB, not little league. Grown men should be able to handle someone stealing a base in a game that isn't a blowout.
Just like a grown man should be able to take being hit by a pitch. The guy didn't throw at his head. Victorino deserves a suspension, though it's laughable that Whiteside doesn't get one for tackling (and possibly injuring) Polanco.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:11 AM
BringBackStevens

This "unwritten rule" talk that keeps going around about stealing with a lead is ridiculous.

Grow up and play better if you dont want to be losing so badly. The unwritten rules are for babies

Old
08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Also, I really really hate LA's fans. Look at the crowd during Vic's HR. Up to that point they were down by ONE RUN. Yet the announced crowd of 35,000+ is mostly gone already. Awful.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...16837&c_id=phi

Edit: Actually that number might never have really been present. Sad.
Dude, that happens at every Phillies home game...and they haven't played like dog **** or put us through what LA fans have dealt with lately in years.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Dude, that happens at every Phillies home game...and they haven't played like dog **** or put us through what LA fans have dealt with lately in years.
i don't agree

Old
08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i don't agree
I don't know what to tell you then. Keep an eye on the stands in the broadcast and when you're there next time. You have people clearing out in large numbers as early as the 7th inning.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:33 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you then. Keep an eye on the stands in the broadcast and when you're there next time. You have people clearing out in large numbers as early as the 7th inning.
It happens at every sporting event everywhere. Some people just can't handle traffic.

I'm proud to say I've never left a sporting even early in my life. I've seen the Flyers take a 7-2 shellacking from Ottawa a few years back (cue MSE to tell me that the Flyers have never lost to Ottawa 7-2, whatever it was, it was a completely lop-sided affair that was over in the first) and I stayed until that final merciful horn sounded in the third to end the game.

If I'm paying money, I'm staying. I don't care how awful the game is, and I'm certainly not leaving because of traffic.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It happens at every sporting event everywhere. Some people just can't handle traffic.

I'm proud to say I've never left a sporting even early in my life. I've seen the Flyers take a 7-2 shellacking from Ottawa a few years back (cue MSE to tell me that the Flyers have never lost to Ottawa 7-2, whatever it was, it was a completely lop-sided affair that was over in the first) and I stayed until that final merciful horn sounded in the third to end the game.

If I'm paying money, I'm staying. I don't care how awful the game is, and I'm certainly not leaving because of traffic.
I'm the same way. Sports are way too expensive and frivolous for me to leave early when I go...I'm not paying to see 80% of the game.

My uncle's got Phillies and Flyers season tickets. He's always left a little early. But if that's the case, there's an awful lot of those types at Phillies games the past few years. Doesn't matter what the game situation is. Part of the reason there's a part of me ok with the Phillies being a losing team again in the future is I'll be able to avoid the people who pretend they care.

Note: leaving early doesn't mean you don't care. But we're not as great a fan base as some think, and I can empathize more with the LA fans leaving early last night than a Phillies fan calling them out for it.

Old
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Just like a grown man should be able to take being hit by a pitch. The guy didn't throw at his head.
I guess you weren't being sarcastic, because that's a really stupid argument. So it's fine if a pitcher wants to throw a 90 MPH fastball into your back intentionally for no reason other than the fact that he's being a ***** since he can't get anyone else out? Don't be obtuse. Anyone would have been pissed off after that. Not that I'm saying I agree with the way Shane acted after it happened, but I can understand exactly why he would be upset.

As for Rollins stealing second, you might want to pay attention to the games a little more closely next time. It was 8-2 in the 6th, not 18-2 in the 9th. Like a six run deficit has never been overcome before. "Stat padding" indeed.

Funny that the winning team is supposed to stop playing, but it's okay for the losing team to keep trying to come back. You play to win the game.

Quote:
Victorino deserves a suspension, though it's laughable that Whiteside doesn't get one for tackling (and possibly injuring) Polanco.
But not Ramirez for starting the whole thing though, right?

Old
08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Just like a grown man should be able to take being hit by a pitch. The guy didn't throw at his head. Victorino deserves a suspension, though it's laughable that Whiteside doesn't get one for tackling (and possibly injuring) Polanco.
Stealing a base and intentionally drilling a guy in the back aren't even remotely comparable.

Old
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

Some people work crazy hours and can't afford to waste an extra hour getting stuck in traffic if the home team gets a nice lead.

I don't blame them. Imagine working crazy hours with kids and trying to get them out to the ballgame.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Some people work crazy hours and can't afford to waste an extra hour getting stuck in traffic if the home team gets a nice lead.

I don't blame them. Imagine working crazy hours with kids and trying to get them out to the ballgame.
Should we consider this to be a confession?

Put it this way, would you go to a movie and then leave before the end? That's only shelling out ten bucks, maybe twenty if you spring for the ten-gallon popcorn & soda value deal.

If I'm shelling out 7 or 8 times that I'm staying put, I don't care if it takes me ten hours to get home.

(Full Disclosure: This is easy for me to say, I live in Center City. Still.)

Old
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Terence Peterman

I totally get the distance and kids arguments. At this point, I haven't encuntered that. I'm 22 and have lived 25 minutes from the park my whole life. I'm mainly talking about the people who don't fit into these categories...the same ones who shout things like "CLIFFORD!" going into the gate at Lee's first game back.

As for the brawl, whatever. I don't mind anything that happened preceding or during it. MLB suspending Victorino is them showing they have some control over it...it should get reduced, and, to me, it shows the Giants are clearly capable of being made uncomfortable. What happened, well, that's baseball.

Old
08-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't get it. Sorry, still having my morning coffee.
There was much talk of Cole Hamels needing to "drop a deuce" in order to get a win in his start the other night. Someone else posted a screen shot of the game where a graphic was up with a bullet point about dropping a deuce, and then he said the phillies were "able to squeeze one out"..

Old
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Nowhere near that level. Of course you have some people leaving early no matter what the score is to beat traffic, and a handful who leave because they think the team can't come back, but if they just scored 2 runs to make it a 1-run game fans aren't continuing to leave in Philadelphia. If you've been out there you'd know how different the attitude is, it has very little to do with their current "situation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
There was much talk of Cole Hamels needing to "drop a deuce" in order to get a win in his start the other night. Someone else posted a screen shot of the game where a graphic was up with a bullet point about dropping a deuce, and then he said the phillies were "able to squeeze one out"..
I think you're stretching it there, but it's funny.

Old
08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I think you're stretching it there, but it's funny.
Definitely. Works better with out the explanation.

Old
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Note: leaving early doesn't mean you don't care. But we're not as great a fan base as some think, and I can empathize more with the LA fans leaving early last night than a Phillies fan calling them out for it.
I come right out and admit I'm a bandwagon fan. I don't think there's anything wrong with it so long as you're not pretending to be some die-hard.

Old
08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I come right out and admit I'm a bandwagon fan. I don't think there's anything wrong with it so long as you're not pretending to be some die-hard.
The problem is that 99% of bandwagon fans would never admit that. It's funny how many Phillies fans were die hard fans when I was going to the games and the stadium was empty and no one knew any of the names of the players. Even now you see a guy in a Phillies hat and start talking, once they mention Halladay, Hammels, Lee, Utley, and Howard, that's the extent of their knowledge. Mention a player not on the Phillies or anything not related to the past three years and they are clueless.

Part of me wishes the team would go back to sucking. I had more fun going to 10+ games a season watching them suck with real fans than I do now not being able to afford to go to more than one game a season if I'm lucky and sitting next to a bunch of frat boys who are just there to drink beer and get in fights.

Old
08-09-2011, 06:47 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The problem is that 99% of bandwagon fans would never admit that. It's funny how many Phillies fans were die hard fans when I was going to the games and the stadium was empty and no one knew any of the names of the players. Even now you see a guy in a Phillies hat and start talking, once they mention Halladay, Hammels, Lee, Utley, and Howard, that's the extent of their knowledge. Mention a player not on the Phillies or anything not related to the past three years and they are clueless.

Part of me wishes the team would go back to sucking. I had more fun going to 10+ games a season watching them suck with real fans than I do now not being able to afford to go to more than one game a season if I'm lucky and sitting next to a bunch of frat boys who are just there to drink beer and get in fights.
While I see your point, I am enjoying this whole winning thing

Old
08-09-2011, 07:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yeah Vic should have taken it like Rollins....

Old
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Old
08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

My life is better now that I've seen this haha.

As for the discussion of bandwagon fans, they come with winning. I'm willing to take the annoyance if it means my team is winning championships. It is really freakin annoying though. Especially since I'm 24 and a good bit of the people I know fall into the category of the people I dislike at games. The "I go to the game and get drunk tailgating but don't have a ticket" crowd annoy the **** out of me. I remember back in the 09 WS one of my fiance's friends texted her "how much time is left in the game?" Seriously, don't act like you care if you don't even know that there is no set time for a baseball game.

Its funny because I kind of feel like I'm new to baseball and I've been watching it for about 10 years now. Whenever I see any of these dudes though, I feel like I'm some kind of baseball sage.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

is that Ted Danson behind home plate tonight???

Edit: N/M looks nothing like him accept the white hair... haha, but it does look like Larry King is there a few seats over

Old
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

That was some good work by Lee getting out of that jam

Old
08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Lee ****in smoked that. So awesome.