HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

espn bashing hockey again. my opinion.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
I'm getting sick of this crap saying hockey is nothing compared to the "BIG 3" lol. Hockey is at very least better then baseball and right there with basketball. I think Football is the only sport that competes with hockey in the USA (rugby is getting cooler to me lol).
that's how much you like them, it has absolutely nothing to do with how popular they are. if you think the nhl is more popular than baseball and basketball, you're delusional and only kidding yourself.
Quote:
source
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/newy...ankees-dynasty

In this article the person Rob Parker of ESPNNewYork.com writes...

"We know the NHL has lost a lot of its luster the past 10 years or so.

For whatever reason, it's now considered a niche sport. The die-hards love the game as much as ever, but something has been lost with the general population. (Losing an entire season to a labor dispute didn't help). It's the fourth sport in the Big Three.
"
that's the truth, no matter how much we all love it, hockey IS a niche sport. i don't know why so many people have a problem with that. why do you care if a bunch of people you don't know like hockey?

Quote:
ESPN I have enjoyed for a long time. But I hear pardon the interuption bashing nhl too. It's so funny because they use to air NHL on espn a long time ago. They rarely talk about it or show any highlights. Maybe it's because the other 3 are "American sports" and hockey is a "Canadian sport?" I actually think they show more soccer on espn then hockey. I know soccer is a worldwide sport but I see more MLS then any NHL.
espn is a master of pimping their own brand. they have contracts to show college football, the nfl, baseball, basketball, nascar, and soccer, so of course they are going to talk about those more.

is it really that hard for people? espn shows soccer so they talk about soccer. espn doesn't show hockey so they don't talk about hockey. it has nothing to do with it being a "canadian" sport, a niche sport (soccer is just as much of a niche sport in the u.s.), nor some secret hatred for the nhl. it has everything to do with the fact that espn doesn't have a contract to show nhl games.

espn isn't a reporting service anymore, they are a money making enterprise. just like fox news and cnn always put conservative/liberal spin on everything to cater to their audience. espn does the same thing. they will talk about the things they show much more than anything else because that's the lion's share of their audience.
Quote:
Most of the time if they do show hockey highlights, it's Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin and what the penguins or capitals are doing which isn't right in my eyes. Showcase all those other teams that are out there not getting much publicity.
that's because if they probably aren't going to profit from showing nhl highlights, then they're going to show the big superstars that people that don't follow the sport will recognize and enjoy. they don't care about exposing the other teams because they have no reason to. they won't make money off of it.
Quote:
What do you think? I hope I'm not overreacting.
you are
Quote:
One more thing

GOD BLESS NHL NETWORK!
sweet jesus no.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I love the irony in these threads. ESPN writers argue that hockey is a niche sport, and frankly the majority of people in the US would agree with that because they don't understand how the game works. That's why you see articles about the uselessness of grinders, fighting, and low scoring.

Then, people on this board call this an outrage because they understand the sport on a deeper level, can articulate the usefulness of the above, and can dive deeper into transition game, position responsibilities, and intangibles. Then, they bash other major spots in US (mainly baseball) because they think a throw to first base is stupid during an at bat. Talk about not looking in the mirror. That play has a ton of use and is not boring in a baseball game. If you can honestly sit there and get mad at people bashing the NHL because they don't understand it, and you have the balls to pretend you understand the intricacies of baseball when you admit you don't watch it, then you are an idiot.
great post, but you have to admit, holding a runner at first isn't exactly the most exciting thing that happens in a baseball game.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Yes, but "boring" and a "waste of time" are different. In and of itself, it is "boring" to watch a defensemen in hockey stand behind his own net on a power play. If I watched that all day I would be bored, just as I would be if I watched a first basemen and a pitcher have a catch. But, the majority of people on this board know that the defensemen waiting for the timing of his teammates to start an effective transition up ice and a successful entrance into the zone is hardly a "waste of time". I think the same about the pick-off attempt even when the pick-off isn't very realistic. It's more about keeping the runner guessing and on his heels. Thus, when you understand that these plays are important to the flow and strategy of the game and can distinguish between "boring" and "waste of time", the boring aspect tends to go unnoticed because you understand what is happening -- you just see this as part of the game.
The difference is that seconds after the defenseman stands behind his net, he steps out and leads a rush up the ice -- one of the most exciting and beautiful plays in hockey, in all of sports for that matter. Right up there with a leaping catch or a slide into home plate, where the whole game turns on an instant and the aesthetics are like a familiar pair of shoes. Just a glorious moment.

A repeated "pickoff" throw to first, with the runner all but standing on the bag already, isn't aesthetically pleasing or interesting. And it isn't followed by anything interesting. It's like watching someone who doesn't know which key opens the front door, and has to try every single key on the ring. You just sit there and wait, and stifle a yawn.

If the defenseman stood behind the net, then stepped out and circled back behind the net, and then circled back, and circled back, while the crowd booed, I'd be inclined to go get some popcorn and maybe check my email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
The funny part about it is ESPN has lost a lot of its luster over the past ten years too.
This.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
some hockey fans are so ridiculous when it comes to stuff like this. the sport is #1 in Canada, and #4 in the US. nothing wrong with that, just enjoy the sport.

it could go lower, and it could go higher (unlikely, but a lost season could put NHL in 3rd place). this isnt some ESPN conspiracy, it's just how it is.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
The NHL has a chance to jump ahead of Basketball with this upcoming lockout for them coming but who knows.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
In Korea, Starcraft Tournaments are covered by ESPN.
ESPN here in NA was covering Magic: The Gathering tournaments at one point.

I bet the big wigs were licking their chops when it looked like the NBA and NFL were going into lockout. Sunday afternoon hockey would have been popular by the end of the season imo.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Adam Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think you're overreacting. Nothing he's saying is false. The NHL has lost its luster in the last 10 years (from the general population's point of view), and it is definitely at least 4th, if not lower, and certainly behind football, baseball and basketball. What he's saying is actually pretty conservative, in terms of NHL bashing.

Say what?

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I still watch ESPN, but not nearly as much as I used to. I like PTI and shows like NFL Live and Baseball Tonight. And I of course watch certain games on ESPN.

More often than not if I have SportsCenter on its running in the background. I much rather watch NFL/MLB Networks for my news. (NHLN kinda blows).

I love the NFL but it gets forced down your throat. Things like "ZOMG PEYTON MANNING GOT A LACERATION ON HIS ELBOW TODAY!!!1111."
And if I have to hear one more time about what the Eagles did in FA Ima go nuts. We get it they signed a bunch of good players and are the paper champs, discuss it when it happens and move on.

Partaining to the NBA. It has 6 legit teams. And all we hear about is LeBron and Kobe.

In the MLB I'm so sick of the Red Sox and Yankees. They play 18 times a year and every one of the games is on ESPN and talked about to death. The Phillies are also closing on in on Yankees/Red Sox territory on ESPN now.

/that rant

The fact of the matter is NHL is 4th in the food chain and ESPN doesn't have the rights so they don't promote as much as the other 3 major sports, golf and Nascar(which ESPN also has the rights to.)

If ESPN had any sort of deal with the NHL they'd talk about it and its really ashame guys like Buccigross and Levy are wasted there. Although Bucci always throws hockey references in.

Its hurts the NHL not being exposed on ESPN because of ESPN's popularity. But if this NBC thing skyrockets and becomes a competitor to ESPN, with hockey as its #1, it will help the game immensly.

I also think the NBA lockout will help the NHL somewhat(probably not on ESPN where we'll just be force fed the NFL and NBA lockout news). Markets like Dallas for example without the big draw in the Mavs maybe some people start going to more Stars games. And with no NBA maybe NBA fans, who liked the NHL but lost interest after the lockout, come back.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Spectator

Why does anyone pay attention to ESPN? It's like watching Fox for news. Both have a vested interest into what they are pandering, and both do so to the lowest common denominator. ESPN has been unwatchable for more than a decade.

Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is why I wish TSN was in the states. They treat hockey like ESPN treats the NFL. I would kill to have TSN in the states.
yuuuuup

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Hooch314

I am excited because I really do believe if the NBA goes on strike we will be 3 for a while, at least right with the NBA.

The general public will really get into it.

And even if they don't, at least I won't have to watch/hear about the NBA.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Sabres1026*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Why does anyone pay attention to ESPN? It's like watching Fox for news. Both have a vested interest into what they are pandering, and both do so to the lowest common denominator. ESPN has been unwatchable for more than a decade.
Don't even compare ESPN to FAUX.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Wilma

If being a niche sport is what keeps us away from the excessive number of scandals, arrests, prima donnas, and shameless product placement that other sports have then sign me up.

Forever.

As a fan, so long as hockey's big enough to support its team, attract some of the most talented athletes and get enough airtime that I can watch it...I don't give a hoot what it's ranked.

Wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Murphy9

Isnt the NHL on the rise right now?

Murphy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Joey Mac

good to see espn supports basketball, even though they're going into their second lockout in 10-12 years

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
IF ESPN is the sports leader like they say, they need to show alot more sports on their channels then just football, baseball, and basketball. It makes me sick how much coverage they do for those 3 sports. Why not do it for the 4th biggest sport and others that are not included either. It's just not hockey but other sports that aren't highlighted.
ESPN is a business out to make money. This isn't little league were everybody gets playing time. They're going to cover the sports that will draw the most viewers. If badminton or hockey or croquet or whatever isn't going to bring them in enough advertising dollars, then they're not going to cover those sports much or at all.

All of us here know what a wonderful sport is, but the fact of the matter is that in the USA, hockey is a niche sport. It's unfortunate, but it's a reality.

I wish they would cover hockey more, but I can't fault them for not doing so if it makes smart business sense.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
ESPN had become a parody of itself with the way they keep talking and talking and talking about one topic. When Favre retires or A-Rod does something the typical SC is 15 min on that topic, then some other highlights then another 10 min on the same topic they just covered well enough. Its why ESPN has lost alot of credibility in people's eyes. That and stuff like employing talking heads that just seem to argue the opposite to get a rise out of people like Skip Bayless or Cowturd and stuff like Who's Now that they had a few years ago.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I'm getting sick of this crap saying hockey is nothing compared to the "BIG 3" lol. Hockey is at very least better then baseball and right there with basketball. I think Football is the only sport that competes with hockey in the USA (rugby is getting cooler to me lol).

source
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/newy...ankees-dynasty

In this article the person Rob Parker of ESPNNewYork.com writes...

"We know the NHL has lost a lot of its luster the past 10 years or so.

For whatever reason, it's now considered a niche sport. The die-hards love the game as much as ever, but something has been lost with the general population. (Losing an entire season to a labor dispute didn't help). It's the fourth sport in the Big Three.
"

ESPN I have enjoyed for a long time. But I hear pardon the interuption bashing nhl too. It's so funny because they use to air NHL on espn a long time ago. They rarely talk about it or show any highlights. Maybe it's because the other 3 are "American sports" and hockey is a "Canadian sport?" I actually think they show more soccer on espn then hockey. I know soccer is a worldwide sport but I see more MLS then any NHL.

Most of the time if they do show hockey highlights, it's Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin and what the penguins or capitals are doing which isn't right in my eyes. Showcase all those other teams that are out there not getting much publicity.

What do you think? I hope I'm not overreacting.

One more thing

GOD BLESS NHL NETWORK!
As a sports fan who only cares about hockey and the Steelers, I have not watched that channel since NHL2nite was on the air, I could care less what anybody says about hockey overthere.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
They are just mad because the NHL did not sign the television rights to them

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
thehumanpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
They are just mad because the NHL did not sign the television rights to them
It's truly baffling how people think like this. Do you honestly believe that the NHL refused a TV deal with the biggest, most powerful sports broadcasting entity in the solar system to go with the Outdoor Life Network?

ESPN is a business. ESPN refused a contract with the NHL because the NHL does not bring in the revenue ESPN desires. Everything you see on TV is a business.

The only grudge ESPN has with the NHL is that the NHL does not bring in the advertising dollars ESPN needs.

ESPN has worked for decades to become what it is today, it will choose to broadcast what brings them money.

Some hockey fans seem to have an insanely delusional view of how the economic world works. There are no favourites in business, there are no grudges. There's only money. THe NHL does not make that much money in the US sports scene.

thehumanpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Cotton500

If everyone can complain about ESPN not covering hockey enough, can I complain about TSN barely covering basketball and college football?

I mean it can get frustrating waiting 15-20 minutes for Raptor highlights while TSN talks to John Lu for 3 minutes about the habs new line combinations at the morning skate.

I just find it funny that everyone bashes ESPN for showing the 'big 3' and not hockey but applaud TSN because they extensively cover hockey while the 'big 3' get substantially less time.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post
If everyone can complain about ESPN not covering hockey enough, can I complain about TSN barely covering basketball and college football?

I mean it can get frustrating waiting 15-20 minutes for Raptor highlights while TSN talks to John Lu for 3 minutes about the habs new line combinations at the morning skate.

I just find it funny that everyone bashes ESPN for showing the 'big 3' and not hockey but applaud TSN because they extensively cover hockey while the 'big 3' get substantially less time.
because the majority of the users on this site can't fathom the thought of other sports being entertaining. I love football and I am starting to like Baseball and Basketball. I prefer hockey, but there is no good argument for saying that hockey is the best sport and everyone is dumb for not liking it.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Steveorama

vCash: 50
I don't worry about these articles, since ESPN isn't even in my top 5 sports networks.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
thehumanpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post

Exactly, there isn't the audience for NBA in Canada like there is for hockey. As a result TSN's NBA coverage is regulated to the side.

Ever since I started reading this board, I have noticed that there are a good portion of hockey fans who are delusional, emotional, bitter, and hateful. It's VERY embarrassing as a hockey fan. They hate basketball, hate ESPN, hate anything that isn't hockey and make these silly assumptions about things.

Please stop, you're making a LOT of people look bad.

thehumanpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
In Korea, Starcraft Tournaments are covered by ESPN.
Isn't Starcraft like super big in Korea, though? I think they have a pro team sponsored by the army.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote