Charlie Coyle Will Be X-Factor In Burns Trade

Old
08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Charlie Coyle Will Be X-Factor In Burns Trade

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...nt-burns-trade

This idea (and quote) was brought up in the Granlund proposal thread but figure it should get its own thread. There's a lot of interesting thoughts in the article but personally the main talking point is this:

Quote:
Coyle will be a one of those players to keep an eye on over the next few years. The old axiom for trades is simple: whoever gets the best player wins the trade. For now, Brent Burns is the best player in the trade—but Coyle is the type of player who has the potential to flip that logic on its head. Give him another year in college and another year with Team USA against the world’s best Under-20 prospects and Coyle just may be the best player who comes out of that trade.

That’s exactly what the Wild organization is betting on.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Definitely hope so. I still think Zucker is going to end up being better, but I really like what I'm hearing about Coyle's game. I hope he shows more offensively this year (~40 points would be some nice progression).

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The Zucker/Coyle combo from development camp was amazing. They looked like they had played together for years, and the scrimmages were just another day. I don't care which one turns out better, if they can bring that to NHL ice, things will be looking fantastic for our top 6.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
BLBarmada

Who holds their Junior rights ?? Or they free to sign with any junior team ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think they'd look great together on the same line. If they both make it to the NHL and at this point, I think they both should see time. A lot to like about both of their game's. Physical guys who compliment each other well. Both have great leader and character qualities as well.

I think the Wild will get Coyle to turn pro after this season if all goes well. I believe Zucker will probably stay another year unless he goes gangbusters on the WCHA. Which is a possibility as I really like that Denver squad and believe they've got a strong title chance.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Who knows or cares. At this point if Minnesota signed Coyle or Zucker (which they aren't going to), they'd assign them to Houston rather than spend an overage year in the CHL. Both can play there.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
They're not going to juniors anyways. They will sign a two-way deal right out of college and head to Houston.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Dr Jan Itor

So, with Koivu and (likely) Granlund as our #1 and #2 centers in the coming years, do we see Coyle as a way to make our 3rd line more of a threat, and have a down-the-middle future of Koivu-Granlund-Coyle? Or should we try to convert him to wing, and see the PF prognostications are valid?

Old
08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
So, with Koivu and (likely) Granlund as our #1 and #2 centers in the coming years, do we see Coyle as a way to make our 3rd line more of a threat, and have a down-the-middle future of Koivu-Granlund-Coyle? Or should we try to convert him to wing, and see the PF prognostications are valid?
I read somewhere that Coyle played a decent amount of time last year on the right wing. Not sure if it's true or not, I didn't watch much of the Hockey East at all last season.

I'm imagining a Granlund-Koivu-Phillips down the middle with Zucker and Coyle on the same line with any of the centers. I think that would be beyond great.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Granlund isn't guaranteed to play center, but neither is Coyle. I could see a Zucker - Granlund - Coyle line in the future.

Old
08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I read somewhere that Coyle played a decent amount of time last year on the right wing. Not sure if it's true or not, I didn't watch much of the Hockey East at all last season.

I'm imagining a Granlund-Koivu-Phillips down the middle with Zucker and Coyle on the same line with any of the centers. I think that would be beyond great.
Hmmm...

Heatley - Koivu - Setoguchi

Zucker - Granlund - Coyle

Latendresse - Phillips - Larsson

Gillies - Almond - Clutterbuck

If all of our prospects reach their potential, not a bad group.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
bear1

vCash: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Hmmm...

Heatley - Koivu - Setoguchi

Zucker - Granlund - Coyle

Latendresse - Phillips - Larsson

Gillies - Almond - Clutterbuck

If all of our prospects reach their potential, not a bad group.
Thats a big if , Coyle better be worth it cause he was such a big part of the trade CF cant afford another bad trade

bear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

It would be insanity to have 6'2", 220 lb. Coyle on the wing. Put him at center, and then slide Granlund and maybe Phillips over to the wing. Coyle is built to put in work along the boards, in the corners, and down low- his presence frees up the other guys to make plays.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
It would be insanity to have 6'2", 220 lb. Coyle on the wing. Put him at center, and then slide Granlund and maybe Phillips over to the wing. Coyle is built to put in work along the boards, in the corners, and down low- his presence frees up the other guys to make plays.
There are big wingers out there. David Backes, Milan Lucic, Dustin Penner, Corey Perry, Ovechkin...they're all somewhere around Coyle's build. There are successful huge wingers out there.

Doesn't mean he should become a winger. I have no idea

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
There are big wingers out there. David Backes, Milan Lucic, Dustin Penner, Corey Perry, Ovechkin...they're all somewhere around Coyle's build. There are successful huge wingers out there.

Doesn't mean he should become a winger. I have no idea
Let's not forget Latendresse. He's huge!

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Ideally we'll have several guys who are comfortable playing different positions...really gives Fletcher some more options when talking trades IMO.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Let's not forget Latendresse. He's fat!
Aha. Fixed.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Who knows or cares. At this point if Minnesota signed Coyle or Zucker (which they aren't going to), they'd assign them to Houston rather than spend an overage year in the CHL. Both can play there.
Well I care, and they wouldn't be OAs I they played this year.

Theyre 19 an both free to sign with any CHL team, they should do that in order to get used to the pro schedule.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Theyre 19 an both free to sign with any CHL team, they should do that in order to get used to the pro schedule.
Stastny, Toews, Parise, Stepan, Okposo, etc... didn't hurt them.

If they want to stay in college, which it appears they do, then they should stay. If they need to get used to a pro schedule, then a year in Houston should do the trick.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:

Players develop in college just fine.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I want them in college developing different aspects of their games and physical condition, not spending the majority of their time traveling and playing game after game. Not to mention both are in very good programs. It would be absolutely foolish for them to step down a notch and go to the major junior level.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I want them in college developing different aspects of their games and physical condition, not spending the majority of their time traveling and playing game after game. Not to mention both are in very good programs. It would be absolutely foolish for them to step down a notch and go to the major junior level.
I also really hate the "they should get used to a pro schedule" part of the argument. They played in juniors before college so its not like they haven't played a big schedule before and its not like they are going to forget that because they played in college for a few years.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I also really hate the "they should get used to a pro schedule" part of the argument. They played in juniors before college so its not like they haven't played a big schedule before and its not like they are going to forget that because they played in college for a few years.
The other thing is it assumes that 1) college is just a few hockey games on the weekend, and maybe practice during the week. College football players might not go to class, but in general the hockey players do, and 2) that there's no value to getting a college degree because they've apparently got things made in the NHL. Even prospects as highly touted as Coyle are far from guaranteed to make it in the NHL.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it would be interesting (but a pain in the ass to create) if there was a doc that has all the first round players for a decade or so and their developmental league stats to see how they match up once they hit the nhl. I always hear stuff like goals don't mean as much coming from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League referenced in a vague sort of way and I was wondering if there was a really simple data sheet out there outlining how stats from dev leagues correlate with NHL stats vs players from other dev leagues.

that was probably as confusing as it seemed in my head. I apologize.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
it would be interesting (but a pain in the ass to create) if there was a doc that has all the first round players for a decade or so and their developmental league stats to see how they match up once they hit the nhl. I always hear stuff like goals don't mean as much coming from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League referenced in a vague sort of way and I was wondering if there was a really simple data sheet out there outlining how stats from dev leagues correlate with NHL stats vs players from other dev leagues.

that was probably as confusing as it seemed in my head. I apologize.
I'm not familiar with any substantial public information of that type. It would be a perfect thing for a stats student to do for their big project. If you had access to all the data, it would probably be relatively trivial to do the analysis on.