HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Desharnais scoring touch work in the NHL?

Old
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Gally11

vCash: 500

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM
macavoy

Dashernais will never score 80 points in Montreal. You guys really think he's better than Pleks?

He will never have good enough wingers in Montreal to put up 80 points. 80 is a pipe dream.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Dashernais will never score 80 points in Montreal. You guys really think he's better than Pleks?

He will never have good enough wingers in Montreal to put up 80 points. 80 is a pipe dream.
We'll see about that, give 82 games to Desharnais with Cammalleri and Cole and I think having a 1.0 ppg average isn't out of reach.

Too many useless bold statements in this thread imo, let's wait and see alright? I still remember 10 years where Marty St. Louis had no way of becoming a Marty St. Louis.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
We'll see about that, give 82 games to Desharnais with Cammalleri and Cole and I think having a 1.0 ppg average isn't out of reach.

Too many useless bold statements in this thread imo, let's wait and see alright? I still remember 10 years where Marty St. Louis had no way of becoming a Marty St. Louis.
Cammy & Cole are no Lecavalier, Stamkos or Brad Richards. But keep hittin the pipe.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Cammy & Cole are no Lecavalier, Stamkos or Brad Richards. But keep hittin the pipe.
So St. Louis feeds off the 3 guys you mentionned? Not sure who's the one smoking here...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
neofury*

Quote:
So St. Louis feeds off the 3 guys you mentionned? Not sure who's the one smoking here...
Okay bro, Marty St. Louis did it all on his own. In fact Marty was sent out a lone as a one man line. They'd even pull the goalie while he was on the ice, he was that good.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:30 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

The truth is MSL makes others around him better. That's why he's MSL. DD is not as good as him when he was his age and I don't think he'll ever be as good as him. DD is good though.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
The truth is MSL makes others around him better. That's why he's MSL. DD is not as good as him when he was his age and I don't think he'll ever be as good as him. DD is good though.
At 23 years old, MSL had a great sophomore year in the AHL scoring 62pts in 53GP after a good rookie start averaging 1pt per game over 25 games (26 pts actually). He gets called up to play with the flames, but nothing really conclusive. The following year, again, he has success in the AHL, at an even better pace (1.52 vs 1.16 the previous year). He's 24. He gets to really play in the NHL this time being dressed for 56 games. His points total aren't impressive however, with only 18, but still it isn't overly bad.
The following year, in TB, he scores 18 goals. It's the start of MSL's NHL success, he's 25.

DD at 23, followed his good AHL rookie year with an even stronger one scoring 78pts in 60gp. He only gets called up 6times however, for very minor rules.
Last year in the AHL, he kept the same scoring pace as the previous season and is rewarded with NHL playing time. He gets to play in the NHL regularly and scores 22pts in 43game.

Now, I'm in no way saying DD is the next MSL. I don't think that's the case at all. But just wanted to raise the issue that MSL at DD's age wasn't so much better, if at all.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:30 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

MSL didn't put up the points, I know, but he played very well and he showed a lot more promise. He was much faster as well. Vision and speed/acceleration. These are 2 things he was better at than DD at the same age. Production-wise, DD's ahead actually but yea my point was the way he played.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:06 AM
durojean

i think to say that st louis played better at the same age as Desharnais is not fair.

Maybe st louis was faster but for all the other element of the game a think they were on par at the same age

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
macavoy

Quote:
No, as neo pointed out, Marty makes those who play with him better, Stamkos is a prime example but Stamkos >>> Cammy. MSL would have a hard time getting 80 points in Montreal with Cole & Cammy. Cammy's points have taken a significant hit since joining Montreal, so has Gios & Gomez. There is a reason for that.

Which is why DD will never hit 80 points playing for Montreal. NEVER!

Old
08-10-2011, 09:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
No, as neo pointed out, Marty makes those who play with him better, Stamkos is a prime example but Stamkos >>> Cammy. MSL would have a hard time getting 80 points in Montreal with Cole & Cammy. Cammy's points have taken a significant hit since joining Montreal, so has Gios A Gomez. There is a reason for that.

Which is why DD will never hit 80 points playinf for Montreal. NEVER!
Exactly. It isn't even about DD's potential anymore. It's about the type of team and system. He won't ever get 80 points here. Only player who can imo is Plekanec and if they're lucky whoever plays with him, if lucky enough to have a full healthy lineup.

Plekanec due to minutes per game, PP time, being great two-ways.

DD would have less minutes per game, less PP time, isn't as great two-ways. (Not a knock on DD, Plek is amazing imo)

Plekanec is really only a #1B but he's one of the most underrated players in the NHL. No way unless DD amps up his development big time for 2-3 years will he be better. Plus he lacks size which can't help.

And to those of you saying MSL didn't look as good as DD in his first seasons shame on you. And like Macavoy says you can't compare a player making Stamkos, Lecavalier, Brad Richards, etc better... and DD making... Plekanec, Cammy, etc better. There simply is no comparison. Cammy is the only one who has enough high end offensive talent to even remotely be compared to those guys and he isn't a consistent 80pt guy for us. Notice he went from being an 80pt guy to an often injured and/or NOT-80pt guy for us.

With a healthy season under his belt who knows what he could accomplish but the point is it remains to be seen.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:35 AM
otto bond

Quote:

Not saying he's better then Plekanec but offensivly, his numbers are much better in the AHL. I personaly think they play a different game and DD is much more creative with the puck, Plekanec is a system player.
The St-Louis thing is a bit unfair but you never know, DD could start poting serious pts on the board. Like DD, St-Louis was to be the next Fleury.....I say Fleury in is prime was better but St-Louis made a name for himself. I see DD doing the same.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
No, as neo pointed out, Marty makes those who play with him better, Stamkos is a prime example but Stamkos >>> Cammy. MSL would have a hard time getting 80 points in Montreal with Cole & Cammy. Cammy's points have taken a significant hit since joining Montreal, so has Gios & Gomez. There is a reason for that.

Which is why DD will never hit 80 points playing for Montreal. NEVER!
Gomez career scoring average is 64pts, and that includes his anomaly year with 84pts that skews his average. Last year was a down year, but the previous one he had 59pts. I'd say that's pretty much his average.

Gionta actually scored his two highest goal records with us these two last year outside his 48G exception year. Last year his points total dropped as it did for plenty of players on our team. The year before that however, he had his 2nd best career scoring pace. He's also coming from a defensive system, nothing new for him.

Cammy is the only one that really saw a drop in production but he also went through his share of injuries. I expect him to produce better next year, likewise for Plek, as long as they're placed with guys like MaxPac or Cole who will truly do those dirty battles along the board.

DD might never reach 80pts, but that's because he simply won't have the skills necessary to do so, not because he'll be playing in Mtl.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
MSL didn't put up the points, I know, but he played very well and he showed a lot more promise. He was much faster as well. Vision and speed/acceleration. These are 2 things he was better at than DD at the same age. Production-wise, DD's ahead actually but yea my point was the way he played.
St-Louis was showing so much more promises after his first (almost) full NHL season that he was released by Calary's GM Craig Button. It's funny because I think the Habs would never do that even to the "less promising" Desharnais.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Cyclones Rock

I'm a huge DD fan dating from his days in Cincinnati, but the notion of him being a PPG player seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Last season there were 9 players in the NHL with 80 points-including St. Louis who was second with 99. While there are similarities between St. Louis and DD, DD lacks St. Louis' explosive speed and doesn't have a cannon shot and those two things ain't gonna change.

It would also be a vicious indictment upon the scouting abilities of 29 other NHL teams should DD become a PPGer. He was a RFA this season and a plausible candidate for a future PPGer wouldn't have been able to have been signed to a 2 year contract for under $1m per season-unless nobody can scout in the NHL as DD is not an unknown quantity anymore.

I would think DD is most likely a peak 60-65 point per season player-assuming ample PP time and 2nd line ice time. Should he realize these type of numbers, he'll have a long and successful NHL career.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'm a huge DD fan dating from his days in Cincinnati, but the notion of him being a PPG player seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Last season there were 9 players in the NHL with 80 points-including St. Louis who was second with 99. While there are similarities between St. Louis and DD, DD lacks St. Louis' explosive speed and doesn't have a cannon shot and those two things ain't gonna change.

It would also be a vicious indictment upon the scouting abilities of 29 other NHL teams should DD become a PPGer. He was a RFA this season and a plausible candidate for a future PPGer wouldn't have been able to have been signed to a 2 year contract for under $1m per season-unless nobody can scout in the NHL as DD is not an unknown quantity anymore.

I would think DD is most likely a peak 60-65 point per season player-assuming ample PP time and 2nd line ice time. Should he realize these type of numbers, he'll have a long and successful NHL career.
Well he signed for little, because he still has to prove himself and pot some serious goals/pts to receive a hefty contract. Very few know DD. I'd say the NE division knows him best. You're right about the difference between him and MSL, but I disagree about the shot. You can improve your shot at any given age (2nd hand experience lol).

Old
08-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

I agree 60 point seems reasonable. I said 70 but its a bit much. 59 points would be the ideal situation.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I agree 60 point seems reasonable. I said 70 but its a bit much. 59 points would be the ideal situation.
Yea 59 is perfect. Then when he reaches arbitration, they can go "he never even reached 60 pts!"

Old
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Breakfast of Champs

BUMP

It worked....2012-13 predictions?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
BUMP

It worked....2012-13 predictions?
The season is lost to another stupid lockout.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
Nice call!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
I think that if Gomez maintains his level of suckage, DD might end the season as our 2nd line centre... I could see him becoming a 70-80 pt player at some point.
I maintain my previous prediction that he will be a 70-80 pt player....

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
I maintain my previous prediction that he will be a 70-80 pt player....
I'm content with his 60 point performance but he was certainly at a PPG pace at several stretches this year. He has the ability to surprise but to do it consistently(the 1st line stuff) is entirely a different expectation. I also think he could hit 70 points but I'm not confident enough to say he'd do it so often he'd be a labeled a '70-80 pt' player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm content with his 60 point performance but he was certainly at a PPG pace at several stretches this year. He has the ability to surprise but to do it consistently(the 1st line stuff) is entirely a different expectation. I also think he could hit 70 points but I'm not confident enough to say he'd do it so often he'd be a labeled a '70-80 pt' player.
Barring injuries, I think his hockey IQ will translate to at least a couple ( maybe more ) 70 pt seasons so long as he his given the chance ( i.e playing with true top 6 players ).

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote