HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

does richards have a better chance than we think of getting the C?

Old
08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
you HAVE to give it to Cally.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
regardless, richards will get a letter. prospal got an 'A' so richards will definitely get one. as for the 'C' well he has the resume but we will see what happens. the only thing to factor in is callahan's 3 yr contract. we have the potential to lose him regardless of what anyone says. i do think callahan will get it though. too much speculation

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:14 AM
pld459666

This current Rangers team has a certain personality about themselves in the way they go about playing the game.

There's not one player that exemplifies that more than Callahan.

There's not one player better suited to lead this type of team better than Callahan.

The Captain is supposed to set the tone of the game, he's supposed to lead the charge.

Aside from being the guy that gets to chat with the refs, he's the guy that brings the locker room together when things are not going their way.

You hear the quote from opposing players like Rupp. Pretty much indicating he signed here because of Callahan.

Don't get me wrong, Richards would be a damn fine captain, just not sure THIS Rangers team is the team he should be captaining.

The Rangers are Callahans team.

He's not the best player, but I never bought into that BS that your best player should wear the C.

Callahan does everything you want a hockey player to do, and he does it with class. His approach to games is contaigous and in that sense he makes his teammates better.

To me, this is a no brainer.

Callahan gets the C

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Callahan - C
Staal - A
Dubinsky - A

Its their team (plus Lundqvist) and rightfully they should get the letters. They earned it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
NYR Viper

Callahan - A
Staal- A
Boyle/Girardi/Richards - A

Dubinsky has enough to worry about with his consistency, don't load the guy up with a letter.

All of the Rangers prospects say how much they like Boyle and how he has been a great locker room presence and mentors the younger players making sure they don't need anything when they come up and whatnot. He got an A last year in pre-season BEFORE his break-out year so the coaches must have seen it before this season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:56 AM
terrrrrible

He or Dubi will get the 2nd A. Callahan is the only one right now that should get the C.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:00 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
He or Dubi will get the 2nd A. Callahan is the only one right now that should get the C.
I know we all LOVE Callahan, but Staal is pretty damn important and has been a captain a couple of times before.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know we all LOVE Callahan, but Staal is pretty damn important and has been a captain a couple of times before.
im sorry guys but what exactly has ryan callahan done to be THE captain of this team? yes he plays hard every night but that does not make you a captain. if anything henrik lundqvist has done more for this club than ryan callahan. this team has barely been an 8th seed in callahan's main years here. he's never won anything for us. he's never led this team to anything. Hell duby's been more of an on ice leader imo. he's scored huge goals he's gone toe to toe with guys like m richards and ovechkin and crosby. where's callahan in all that?

im not saying he's a terrible choice i just dont' see why he's like the fan favorite choice hands down. he'd be 3rd or 4th on my list honestly behind richards dubinsky staal/callahan

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Callahan - C
Staal - A
Dubinsky - A

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

C - Callahan
A - Staal
A - Richards

I'd be shocked if it wasn't this way.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
im sorry guys but what exactly has ryan callahan done to be THE captain of this team? yes he plays hard every night but that does not make you a captain. if anything henrik lundqvist has done more for this club than ryan callahan. this team has barely been an 8th seed in callahan's main years here. he's never won anything for us. he's never led this team to anything. Hell duby's been more of an on ice leader imo. he's scored huge goals he's gone toe to toe with guys like m richards and ovechkin and crosby. where's callahan in all that?

im not saying he's a terrible choice i just dont' see why he's like the fan favorite choice hands down. he'd be 3rd or 4th on my list honestly behind richards dubinsky staal/callahan
In fairness to Callahan, who have we had on this team offensively in recent years that would make us better than an 8th seed? Markus Naslund? Drury? The Rangers have barely had enough talent to fill out the top 6, let alone a first line. I think it's unfair to say that Callahan hasn't "won us anything" when this team has been poorly constructed in recent years. I think we should wait and see what this team can do with a legit first line center before we blame Callahan for not leading us past the first round.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
im sorry guys but what exactly has ryan callahan done to be THE captain of this team?
Other than consistently being the best player on the team aside from Lundqvist for the last three seasons?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
It's August, what else are they going to write about if they don't make up controversy about the Captaincy?

Captain Cally all the way, no doubt about it.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Torts already knows who the real captain of the team is.

Obviously it's Callahan. No way does he give it to Richards.

He praises Richards' leadership as well, but let's be real. This is Cally's team, not Richards'. Tortsie knows that. Callahan is everything you want in a leader and you want to base a team's qualities off of that leadership.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

The C bascially on Callahan's chest.

If Tortorella didn't strip it from Drury, no way will he give it to Richards right off the bat.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
Quote:

Really???

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Your main argument against Callahan (what has he won for us) doesn't apply to Lundqvist or Dubinksy?

Callahan hasn't scored huge goals?

While Dubinsky might have gone toe-to-toe with Mike Richards, Callahan went toe-to-toe with a Chara slapshot.

08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I wouldnt be shocked if Richards is given the C taking into account his history with Tortorella.

Id also like to add I dont care, and think the captaincy is one of the least important things in hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
LyNX27

I can't believe so many people would be so upset if Richards got the C. The captaincy gets decided from within, not by the fans.

But to be honest I'm being rather selfish hoping he gets it so that I can get a Richards WC jersey with a C on it.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I wouldn't mind giving Richards the C. He's one of the more experienced members of the team, he has close relations with Torts, he has leadership experience and he knows what it takes to win a cup. This is Cally's team, but there's no guarantee that the team will be ultimately better under him. The team clearly does well with him wearing an A, but what if he can't take the pressures of leading a team. Callahan is still just 26, there's nothing wrong with him waiting. I'd like to see Cally wear the C, but It wouldn't "ruin my weekend" if Richards got the C.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
torts can put a C on his chest, but the real leader, the real heart and soul of this team is Ryan Callahan.

Period
Well spoken...Captain Calli...he earned it!

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
This current Rangers team has a certain personality about themselves in the way they go about playing the game.

There's not one player that exemplifies that more than Callahan.

There's not one player better suited to lead this type of team better than Callahan.

The Captain is supposed to set the tone of the game, he's supposed to lead the charge.

Aside from being the guy that gets to chat with the refs, he's the guy that brings the locker room together when things are not going their way.

You hear the quote from opposing players like Rupp. Pretty much indicating he signed here because of Callahan.

Don't get me wrong, Richards would be a damn fine captain, just not sure THIS Rangers team is the team he should be captaining.

The Rangers are Callahans team.

He's not the best player, but I never bought into that BS that your best player should wear the C.

Callahan does everything you want a hockey player to do, and he does it with class. His approach to games is contaigous and in that sense he makes his teammates better.

To me, this is a no brainer.

Callahan gets the C

This is the best post in this thread. Well said.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:31 PM
ruckus*

I don't know. I'm kinda with Bleed Ranger Blue that I believe the Captaincy is a little overrated.

I think with a lot of teams, a leader, someone to keep them in line is necessary.

I don't think that this is the case with this team though. These guys all like each other, they play for each other, they stick up for each other, and play the right way. This team could go without a Captain IMO and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

That being said, giving it to Richards and not Callahan wouldn't make any sense to me. Callahan has been the driving force in the cultural shift within the organization, and he embodies everything the organization is looking for from everyone who pulls on that sweater.

Richards is a great player who has performed in the clutch and no doubt with be a presence in the locker room. But giving him the C before he ever plays a game in New York makes no sense to me.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Your main argument against Callahan (what has he won for us) doesn't apply to Lundqvist or Dubinksy?

Callahan hasn't scored huge goals?

While Dubinsky might have gone toe-to-toe with Mike Richards, Callahan went toe-to-toe with a Chara slapshot.
Can't give him the C, he's freaking injury prone

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
C - Callahan
A - Staal
A - Richards

I'd be shocked if it wasn't this way.