HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles City reaches deal with AEG re NFL Stadium

Old
07-30-2011, 07:57 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Another reason not to bring the Chargers.
I agree.

And i'm a Charger fan.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 08-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
FarmersField Farmers Field
CMs @JanPerry @Bill_Rosendahl @GoCardenas & Ed Reyes unanimously approve the MOU between the City of LA & AEG! #NFLinLA #FarmersField
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply
More Good news.

Old
08-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Melrose Munch

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=373175

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

The full council vote is today.

EDIT: Just listened to it on 710, the measure passed unanimously.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 08-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old
08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
AStammer7*

Lakers Colors Came From Minny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtacker View Post
The LA vi-kings would be sick, clolor scheme works too.
Before they became any good and before they moved to LA the Lakers were in Minnesota,the land of a thousand lakes. So if you're wondering where the colors came from think Minneaplis.

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmaloney27 View Post
Before they became any good and before they moved to LA the Lakers were in Minnesota,the land of a thousand lakes. So if you're wondering where the colors came from think Minneaplis.
I don't think that is true. Jack Kent Cooke came up with the Forum Blue and Gold (purple and gold). Soure: Bob Miller's book. And I believe the Lakers were light blue and yellow prior to LA.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In September 1965, Cooke purchased the Los Angeles Lakers for $5 million from Bob Short. Under Cooke's ownership the Lakers moved from the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena to The Forum and changed their colors from Royal and Light Blue to the current Purple (which he referred to as "Forum Blue") and Gold.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
We'll probably get the Vikings to start out. Then after a few years of successful attendance and no stadium movement in Oakland, the Raiders too.

The ticket prices are going to be outrageous. Be prepared.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

My friend had a girlfriend who was like a Viking. She used to bring a Turkey Leg and Goblet to every Kings game. She also wore one of those helmets with the horns sticking out. It was pretty incredible.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Ajtacker

I'm Norweigan so I would be stoked with the Vikings.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
GoKingsGo25
Anaheim what?

this might sound pretty crazy to everyone, but there is 2 Reasons why i didnt even want a football team back here to begin with....

1. Im a Pats fan so its not like im going to root for them anyways.

2. It takes away attention from the Kings in LA

GoKingsGo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:19 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo25 View Post
this might sound pretty crazy to everyone, but there is 2 Reasons why i didnt even want a football team back here to begin with....

The Kings get attention?

Not even gonna address the other in-depth, you're the NFL equivalent of Red Wings fans who pack numerous building across the NHL. Some people just like a winner I guess.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:

Is this a joke?

The Kings haven't been a priority since Staples opened - in spite of what Lie-weekly said in the past.

I bought my last ticket from AEG YEARS ago ...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:50 AM
GoKingsGo25
Anaheim what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Is this a joke?

The Kings haven't been a priority since Staples opened - in spite of what Lie-weekly said in the past.

I bought my last ticket from AEG YEARS ago ...
true but i mean if you look at the situation now,

there is a possible NBA lock out, lakers fans looking for another sport (if any that is)
will look to the LA Kings,

and also with a strong team the sports media is starting to notice the Kings in LA

but put a football team in there...... completely different

GoKingsGo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
true but i mean if you look at the situation now,

there is a possible NBA lock out, lakers fans looking for another sport (if any that is)
will look to the LA Kings,

and also with a strong team the sports media is starting to notice the Kings in LA

but put a football team in there...... completely different
The football team won't be here for at few years, NBA is locked on for now. All it takes is say 1 cup and another deep playoffs and the Kings will be the darlings of LA. LA is all about winning, look at the Dodgers this year, they stink and the stadium is empty a lot. If the Lakers stunk it'd be the same.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Ajtacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
The football team won't be here for at few years, NBA is locked on for now. All it takes is say 1 cup and another deep playoffs and the Kings will be the darlings of LA. LA is all about winning, look at the Dodgers this year, they stink and the stadium is empty a lot. If the Lakers stunk it'd be the same.
The clippers defy all logic though.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Well thats because the Clippers have only 6 winning seasons since they were founded in 1970 and only 2 winning seasons since coming to LA in 1984. They an perfect example of a horrible organization.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:36 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Hipsters love the Clippers.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Winter classic in LA??

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:49 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Winter classic in LA??
We don't get winters in LA.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
We're getting football either way.

The stadium in Industry would be better for at least 23 reasons and AEG will get Farmers Field because they greased the political wheels to get the deal. The better field isn't going to win and it's sad that not it's coming down to what is better for everyone, but is coming down to backroom deals.
Industry is a bad location, period. They have much less infrastructure than downtown, and the LA location already has train access, with more being added - right now!

And AEG greasing political wheels?? If true, I say "so what - that's how business gets done."

And LA has had no benefit from Staples? Without AEG the Kings would still be playing at the Forum. Now THAT would suck!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Industry is a bad location, period. They have much less infrastructure than downtown, and the LA location already has train access, with more being added - right now!

And AEG greasing political wheels?? If true, I say "so what - that's how business gets done."

And LA has had no benefit from Staples? Without AEG the Kings would still be playing at the Forum. Now THAT would suck!
Bingo.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

So that would stop you from going to games? Ok...

Quote:
LA hasn't had a football team for 15 years and the Kings still don't get any attention.

And for the record, my choices for teams to move to LA would be:

1. Rams
2. Vikings
3. Jaguars
4. Chargers

5-31. any other NFL team
32. Raiders (I see more Raider **** now than when they actually played here)

Old
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Anschutz and AEG has greased the political wheels in LA since the mid 90s. As a result, they were handed cash and property worth well over a billion dollars. They were able to get city officials to seize private property from people who didn't want to sell, forcing the owners to sell it for a fraction of its value, then turn around and essentially give the property to AEG. AEG subsequently sold a number of those properties at a huge profit to other companies so that they could build something new.

So what?

Are you comfortable having the city seize property so that a private company can flip it at a huge profit? This time it was blighted property downtown - what if Anschutz decided that he wanted to build his new family compound in your neighborhood, so he paid off the city officials to seize your house and 20 of your neighbor's houses. They pay you $50,000 for your house even those it's worth 10X that - because they can. Minutes after being sold the properties by the city at $50K apiece, Uncle Phil decides that he'll just stay in Colorado, so he turns around and sells each of the houses for their market value and keeps the profit for himself.

Would you still be saying "So What!"

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Are you comfortable having the city seize property so that a private company can flip it at a huge profit? This time it was blighted property downtown - what if Anschutz decided that he wanted to build his new family compound in your neighborhood, so he paid off the city officials to seize your house and 20 of your neighbor's houses.

See: Dodger Stadium

Happens all the time. In Fullerton, several small houses were "bought" by the city to use the land for a relocated McDonald's, which was to make room for a parking structure, as the city rebuilds the Fox Theatre.

Several home owners did not want to sell, but the city made them an offer they literally couldn't refuse.

Long story short: houses are all gone now and paved over for a parking lot (the project scope has scaled way back due to the economy, which is ironic because the price of construction right now is waaay down)

But really, what homes/business' will be bought out by eminent domain for Farmer's Field? None that I can see - it's all convention center property isn't it?

And don't worry about it, the next generation will always know FF, and not learn of the back room dealings until they're much older.

Old
08-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Mazokngstc

Quote:
Anschutz and AEG has greased the political wheels in LA since the mid 90s. As a result, they were handed cash and property worth well over a billion dollars. They were able to get city officials to seize private property from people who didn't want to sell, forcing the owners to sell it for a fraction of its value, then turn around and essentially give the property to AEG. AEG subsequently sold a number of those properties at a huge profit to other companies so that they could build something new.

So what?

Are you comfortable having the city seize property so that a private company can flip it at a huge profit? This time it was blighted property downtown - what if Anschutz decided that he wanted to build his new family compound in your neighborhood, so he paid off the city officials to seize your house and 20 of your neighbor's houses. They pay you $50,000 for your house even those it's worth 10X that - because they can. Minutes after being sold the properties by the city at $50K apiece, Uncle Phil decides that he'll just stay in Colorado, so he turns around and sells each of the houses for their market value and keeps the profit for himself.

Bad comparison--private homes were not at stake, and Uncle Phil's new family compound would be for private use, (generating no sales tax and few jobs) not public good, which is supposed to be the point of an eminent domain sale.

I don't have the whole story at my fingertips, but from what I recall a lot of the eminent domain seizures were parking lots and underutilized office buildings. Yes, some small businesses were forced to relocate, but most of those were tenants, not property owners, and would not have benefited from a sale at any price.

I also seem to remember that a good portion of the fight was from property owners who wanted to be paid on the potential value of the property, not its actual value, and a parking lot is worth a lot less than a fully developed site.

I can't say that I always agree with eminent domain seizures, but properly used, they prevent what amounts to financial extortion. That said, if the property was sold at a high profit outside of the original intent of the seizure, I do agree that there should have been some sort of recompense paid to the property owners, provided that AEG had not improved the property in any meaningful way.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote