HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's more likely, Habs get 100pts, or miss playoffs?

Old
08-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

vCash: 500
100 points and win the division: More likely than missing the playoffs.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If none of Markov, Subban and Price get injured, they'll get 100 points, bank on it.

BTW, if anyone is interested in stats, Habs have a 99 points average on 82 games when Markov is in the lineup, since 05-06.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The East this year is one of the weakest conferences I've ever seen. If the Habs miss, they need to fire the whole staff and GM. That being said, considering the weak conference, I think 100 pts is realistic and should be their goal.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Tuggy

Well they were closer to 100 than missing the playoffs last year (4 to 5)...

I think they are a better team this year and 100 is definitely a realistic expectation.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The East this year is one of the weakest conferences I've ever seen. If the Habs miss, they need to fire the whole staff and GM. That being said, considering the weak conference, I think 100 pts is realistic and should be their goal.
Oh Lord, not this again!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
We had 96 pts last year.

I think we can easily get 4 more points.
And it couldn't be even more easier to get 4 less points and most probably miss the playoffs?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this, but most of the talent was signed on the eastern side this year...

+ the eastern conference has added three legitimate young #1 Ds in the last two seasons (Myers, Subban, Carlson).

They added Larsson, who let's wait and see, but could very well be another one.

Hedman also making some headway.

The whole myth about the Western conference being better is based on a very slim difference, a sample that is way too small in a team vs team comparison to make a conference vs conference comparison. If you know anything about genetic adaptation, you'll know that the western conference demography alone could very well explain why western teams get a slight upperhand. Being used to a much more demanding schedule of a higher frequency of longer flights and change of time zone.

And that would explain, the huge difference of, ahem, a one win out of 19 games ratio with the rest of the games being evened out. That's the actual difference, really, that the western conference gets one win more over a span of 19 games, and gets 1 point more over a span of 10 games. OMG, what a difference

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Miss the playoffs. There are just too many ways that things can go off the rails (e.g. injury to Price, other injury factors) and the margin for error is almost non-existent with the current level of parity in the East.... vs. everything having to go right to get 100 pts.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Robert Theodorson

As is right now - miss the playoffs

Keep Markov healthy and dump the Gomez contract and pick up a player that actually deserves 7+ million - 100 points, easily

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
icerocket

Habs miss the playoffs?

How can this be when they are gonna win next season's SC?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Reacher Gilt

100 points

45 wins + 10 loser points and you are there

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
The Room*

100 points, last year they were very close and that was without Markov.

The Room* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
ibeleaf98*

For all the talk of Price falling back, how about Tim Thomas' .938 ?? Boston falling is a lot more likely, even a mere .925 save % (let alone .915 which is being thrown around for Price) will equal a lot more GA for the Bruins, and thus likely losses.

ibeleaf98* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Well... they can probably make the play offs with anything from 90-100+ points. I'd say they have a better chance of getting the 100 points just because of how likely they are to make the play offs, but I don't expect them to hit that mark.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Miss the playoffs. There are just too many ways that things can go off the rails (e.g. injury to Price, other injury factors) and the margin for error is almost non-existent with the current level of parity in the East.... vs. everything having to go right to get 100 pts.
This is how I feel as well. For all the people saying "healthy Markov, healthy this, healthy that"... We just went through 3 seasons of injuries to top players. It's very likely to happen again this coming season. Especially since Markov is a huge question mark (is he frail? was it bad luck?), Cole has been riddled with injuries throughout his career, Cammy has played 65 and 67 games since joining the Habs (plus had some rough games, coming back from those injuries), etc.

I'm not predicting a season light on injuries. It most likely won't happen.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this, but most of the talent was signed on the eastern side this year...

+ the eastern conference has added three legitimate young #1 Ds in the last two seasons (Myers, Subban, Carlson).

They added Larsson, who let's wait and see, but could very well be another one.

Hedman also making some headway.

The whole myth about the Western conference being better is based on a very slim difference, a sample that is way too small in a team vs team comparison to make a conference vs conference comparison. If you know anything about genetic adaptation, you'll know that the western conference demography alone could very well explain why western teams get a slight upperhand. Being used to a much more demanding schedule of a higher frequency of longer flights and change of time zone.

And that would explain, the huge difference of, ahem, a one win out of 19 games ratio with the rest of the games being evened out. That's the actual difference, really, that the western conference gets one win more over a span of 19 games, and gets 1 point more over a span of 10 games. OMG, what a difference

Probably a nice cushion excuse or reason to gloat.

"We didn't do that well but we were in the tougher conference"
"We didn't make the playoffs but it's not like it's easy as pie like it is in the East"
"Look how well we did in such a superior conference. It's obvious that a West team is gonna win the Cup...the superiority over the East is so vast, it's just so laughable!"

...and so on.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Habs miss the playoffs?

How can this be when they are gonna win next season's SC?
I unironically believe we have a fair shot at the Stanley Cup.

Frankly, the talent is very spread out in the East. Other than the Caps, there isn't a single stacked team. Name me one other team that looks to be a lock for the top 5. Penguins? Lots of question marks on their best players. Philadelphia? Their two best forwards are gone now, and so is their depth. Pronger isn't getting any younger either. Rangers? The addition of Brad Richards is neat, but they still have a pretty weak supporting cast. The Bruins barely managed to eliminate the Habs who had a depleted line up. Should we be afraid?

Name me one team other than (potentially) the caps that the Habs should be afraid of. I don't see any.

EDIT:

Quote:
Cole has been riddled with injuries throughout his career
That perception of him is totally wrong. Read up on it, he is not injury prone at all.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Lets see, potential Hart trophy/Vezina finalist(Price), one of the best young dmen in the game(Subban), solid group of dmen, experience and oh yeah, stanley cup rings.

Yeah they'll miss the playoffs

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Post-lockout they've only reached 100 points once...

As far as playoff success goes...well they've been just as mediocre in the playoffs post-lockout as they have been in the regular season.

05-06: Lost in the 1st round. Put up a fight in a 2-4 loss.
06-07: Did not qualify for the playoffs.
07-08: Scraped by the Bruins in 7 games and got destroyed by the Flyers (or at least by Umberger) in a 1-4 loss.
08-09: Got swept in the first round.
09-10: Scraped by the first two rounds in two 7 game series, got destroyed in the third round by the Flyers again in a 1-4 loss.
10-11: Lost in 7 games to the Bruins.

So they've only advanced past the 1st round twice, the 2nd round once, and haven't been to the SCF. Overall, just as relatively mediocre as most of their regular seasons have been post-lockout.
So you are saying the habs got 100 pts once over the past 6 years and only missed the playoffs 1 season over the same time (5 years ago by loosing the last game of the season).

But somewhat, because of playoffs results, they are more likely to missed than hit 100? Come on.
________

I dont see the habs getting 100 this year, but i dont see them missing either. They havent for 4 years. 100 pts more of a possibility.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
MastuhNinks

After the Caps, Pens, Bruins, Bolts and Flyers the East is pretty up for grabs. Rangers, Habs, Sabres, Leafs and Devils will be fighting for those last 3 spots so the Habs could miss.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
This almost solely depends on Carey Price's performance this coming season..., if he falters -no playoffs if he can carry form ,100 points is not out of the realm of possibility ...

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:55 PM
almostjesus*

miss playoffs

almostjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:55 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

100 points for sure.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Latter. Sorry

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
After the Caps, Pens, Bruins, Bolts and Flyers the East is pretty up for grabs. Rangers, Habs, Sabres, Leafs and Devils will be fighting for those last 3 spots so the Habs could miss.
I love how the Bolts are so much over rated on these boards. Putting them as a lock is just

Bolts will be battling for a spot like many other teams. Even the Flyers are not guaranteed with all that shake up and loss of offense.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote