HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

When do you think we'll see back-to-back cups again?

Old
08-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

vCash: 500
When do you think we'll see back-to-back cups again?

It seems to me like both conferences are becoming tougher and tougher, in that teams are generally more well-rounded, there's lots of fantastic talent (and young talent, at that) in the NHL right now, and it's getting to the point where defending champs are making the playoffs by a point or two after blowing up their teams to stay under the cap. Both conferences have 4 or 5 teams that are in constant mention as cup contenders, and all 8 spots are battled for down to the last game; it seems like every year there's some cinderella team that makes it further than expected, usually knocking off said contenders in the process... With all that in mind, do you think there will be another back-to-back cup winner in the foreseeable future?

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It's becoming less and less likely. Assembling a team as strong as the 2007-2009 Red Wings, which are the only one who has even come close in a decade, is not something that is easily accomplished. You have to stay mostly healthy for eight rounds over two consecutive playoffs, which is a pretty tall order.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
It's possible, but to me, it has to be teams with unbelievable cores full of playoff beasts. The Hawks and Pens are the only teams with a shot. I could see Boston maybe doing it this year, but if not this year, it's not happening for them.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's possible, but to me, it has to be teams with unbelievable cores full of playoff beasts. The Hawks and Pens are the only teams with a shot. I could see Boston maybe doing it this year, but if not this year, it's not happening for them.
I agree.

Boston has a good team again this year but they won't always have Chara and Thomas who were two of their best players during their cup run.

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
... 2007-2009 Red Wings, which are the only one who has even come close in a decade...
I would suggest since they played the same team in both of those Finals Series, that you have to add the Penguins to that short list and make it a duo. Still, a ridiculously short list.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Philoops
Summer Can Distract

Nope.

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Stephen

It can absolutely be done again, but I think it will hinge on the first cup run being relatively short and painless for there to be gas left in the tank. Or a young core like the Penguins had.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I would suggest since they played the same team in both of those Finals Series, that you have to add the Penguins to that short list and make it a duo. Still, a ridiculously short list.
The Penguins were never in position to win in 2008, they were lucky to even get to game 6. The Red Wings actually got the point where they had to win one game to win a 2nd Stanley Cup (and had two cracks at it no less, which were of course unsuccessful), a position only they and the 00-01 Devils have been in since the last time it was done.

Last edited by Epsilon: 08-10-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fixed a mistake, forgot the 01 finals went to game 7
Old
08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
ska8ter8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We have mostly all young players, I understand our two best are older but Chara is really not that old at 34. He can most likely play at a high level for another 4-5 years.

We also have Rask behind Timmy, and could be a very good goalie.

We basically won without Seguin who could be a huge factor in future years and the rest of our core is young with Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand. Then we have Dougie Hamilton coming up in a few years as well.

I think it could happen that we repeat (a lot of luck has to happen with injuries and what not) but then in anohter 3 years or so think we will have a possibly better team than last year.

To answer the OP, it could happen, just so much has to go right with regards to injuries. If the Bruins stay healhy then I put their odds of winning the cup right up there with the rest of the great teams, but that still probably only means about 10% likelihood.

ska8ter8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Luigi Lemieux

If anyone's going to do it, it's going to be the pens, caps, bruins, or hawks. Young cores all entering their primes.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
oilerfan1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
If anyone's going to do it, it's going to be the pens, caps, bruins, or hawks. Young cores all entering their primes.
i was just coming here to post this... those 4 teams are going to be scary for the next few years

oilerfan1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:42 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Bruins have the best chance of doing it since they're already half way there. Plus they didn't have to dismantle, have a lot of youth still developing, have arguably the best goalie in the game, have a monster playing for them on defense, their team has a really nice mix of talent and is built for the playoffs, confidence is high, .....

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

Right now, the only close teams are obviously Boston, Chicago, Penguins, Red Wings, Washington (once they click as a playoff team)

In the near future (3-5 years), Colorado, Islanders, Edmonton.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
NuHOPE91

Heard it hear first, the Oilers will be the next team to do it. There is just to much offensive flare for it not to be a good possibility. Hopkins To Hall and Eberle. And Omark to Paajarvi!

Give it a couple years this team is going to be scary good!

NuHOPE91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:53 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injury Prone Stastny View Post
Right now, the only close teams are obviously Boston, Chicago, Penguins, Red Wings, Washington (once they click as a playoff team)

In the near future (3-5 years), Colorado, Islanders, Edmonton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuHOPE91 View Post
Heard it hear first, the Oilers will be the next team to do it. There is just to much offensive flare for it not to be a good possibility. Hopkins To Hall and Eberle. And Omark to Paajarvi!

Give it a couple years this team is going to be scary good!
Ok....The Pens and Hawks are built around young players and both have a Cup already. How the hell are any of the above teams going to be better than the ones who are already there?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The Penguins were never in position to win in 2008, they were lucky to even get to game 6. The Red Wings actually got the point where they had to win one game to win a 2nd Stanley Cup (and had two cracks at it no less, which were of course unsuccessful), a position only they and the 00-01 Devils have been in since the last time it was done.
2 wins away is still just 2 wins away. "Not even close"

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
It'll be really tough. Look at how close both Boston and Vancouver were to getting kicked out this year. It'll require a very high degree of luck and skill.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
The Room*

Bruins have a pretty good chance, they pretty much have the same team besides Recchi. Also teams like Hawks, Pens, & Caps have a good chance in the future when their top players reach their prime.

The Room* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
the_fan

Boston has a very good chance at repeating. They haven't lost any key players that helped them win the cup this year. If Thomas can play like he did this year, it is very possible they win back to back.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
teamuteam

I think it'd take a ridiculous amount of luck to pull off...with that said Sharks 2012 and 2013

teamuteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Boston is in a position to do it. I doubt they will though. If Detroit couldn't do it after adding Hossa, then I don't think anyone will for a while.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Penguins are really the only team I could see doing it within the next few years.

Homer vote to the Oilers, Eberle and Hall have proven to be BIG in "clutch" situations, so you never know.

In reality, there is no good way of predicting this haha.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

The chances are low but Boston has as good a chance as anyone since the Wings did it. They have mostly the same team returning, still young, and looking for improved play from Seguin and Marchand (moreso Seguin). Yeah, Thomas is old but it's not like their backup is some scrub. Yes, I'm also biased but the B's future looks pretty good to me.

The Oilers could be building a dynasty the way they are stockpiling young talent.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
2 wins away is still just 2 wins away. "Not even close"
They were not "just 2 wins away", because at the time they hadn't even won a Stanley Cup yet. Winning two Stanley Cups requires having won one first; it's faulty to go back in time and consider results from a previous season without considering what effect they would have on a subsequent one. So no, I don't believe a team that lost in the Stanley Cup finals one year and won the next year was "close" to winning 2 consecutive Stanley Cups. The proper way to consider this question is to look at what a team did the year after already winning a Stanley Cup, i.e. when they had an actual, concrete opportunity to win consecutive ones. Only the 2001 Devils and 2009 Red Wings made it back to the Stanley Cup final among teams since 1998.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
journeyman79

I think it's very possible. People keep pointing at the Chicago example as the norm but it isn't; that was bad management. a team like Vancouver (who is built to go deep) could have won it this past season and they could win it next.

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote