HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this the "make or break" year for Poti?

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Is this the "make or break" year for Poti?

Seems like alot of the posters here are divided on the Poti issue. Half want him traded/cut/waived whatever it takes to get rid of him and half think he's a great offensive talent waiting to break out.

Assuming (and maybe falsely in this case) that Poti has to earn his ice time like management claims everyone on this team does, if Poti underperforms this season do you see Sather trying to deal him at the deadline? If so what you would call a fair return?

On top of that, what should be considered "underperforming" for Poti?

My personal opinion: If Poti struggles this year, say only 20 points and a bad +/-, Sather will attempt to move him. But I think Sather is so in love with him that he won't take anything less than a 1st or 2nd rd pick or high-mid level prospect for him. So we'll be stuck with him.

Old
09-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Taz

I think Poti is a bad number 1 pairing guy, but at the same time he is a number 1 pairing quality. He needs the right team and partner. He could easily put up 40 points a season. I want him gone after this season when people like Staal, Baranka start to come calling,

he could be quite good in a package deal or straight out 2nd rounder

Old
09-29-2005, 12:51 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Poti needs a change of scenery. I honestly think Poti could be a serviceable offensive defensemen but not for this team, not now.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

That salary is going to be tough to move considering what Poti brings to the table. He's only marketable if he blows everyones expectations away offensively.

At his age, he's not waiting to break out. This is the player he is and will always be. Find a team with a system that's able to cover for his defensive gaffes and you might be able to look past the bad, but it won't happen here.

Old
eco's bones

I envision a Ranger world without Poti someday. It might not be this year though.
His skating, puck handling and passing are fine. His mental and physical game leave a whole lot to be desired. Overall in talent he has the goods. In applying them though he's worse than Malakhov. He's been around long enough that what you see from him is what you're going to get. My opinion.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:19 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
That salary is going to be tough to move considering what Poti brings to the table. He's only marketable if he blows everyones expectations away offensively.

At his age, he's not waiting to break out. This is the player he is and will always be. Find a team with a system that's able to cover for his defensive gaffes and you might be able to look past the bad, but it won't happen here.
I agree. He's lazy and irresponsible and that won't change.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:35 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
His skating, puck handling and passing are fine. His mental and physical game leave a whole lot to be desired.
I do not think that his passing is "fine". Let's not forget that Hlavac had more assists than Poti last year. Hardly a ringing endorsement.
Poti not being physical is not the problem. His decision making is atrocious. His instincts are on a par with Purinton. Half the time he cannot decide what to do at the blueline when on a PP. Should he pass or shoot? If he should shoot, how should he shoot the puck? If he should pass, what player (let alone team) should he pass the puck to?
How many times have we seen him spend all of his time winding up for a big slapshot that either never makes it to the net or he winds up being stripped of? He cannot seem to grasp the concept that a quick wrister can be far more effective that winding up for a slapshot. His passing skills just as often set up the other team as his own.
One needs not be a physical mauler to smartly position himself between the opposing player and the puck. Or the net. He shies away from anything that will result in contact. How many times have we seen him simply stare at a much smaller opposing player whack away at the goalie and rebounds right in front of him?

Old
09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
E-Train

I just hope he makes or breaks it anywhere but 33rd & 7th. I'll take a 2nd rounder if only to open a spot for both Drats and Pock to be in the top 6.

Old
09-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Nich

yes

Old
09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
I just hope he makes or breaks it anywhere but 33rd & 7th. I'll take a 2nd rounder if only to open a spot for both Drats and Pock to be in the top 6.
I gladly would take a 2nd. I just don't think anyone will give that much for him. Once Drats/Pock get some more experience, Poti SHOULD be dealt.

Old
09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23
I gladly would take a 2nd. I just don't think anyone will give that much for him. Once Drats/Pock get some more experience, Poti SHOULD be dealt.
I hear ya...even a 3rd at this point. Just to unload that 2.2 million and open up another spot.

Old
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
eco's bones

[QUOTE=True Blue]I do not think that his passing is "fine". Let's not forget that Hlavac had more assists than Poti last year. Hardly a ringing endorsement.
Poti not being physical is not the problem. His decision making is atrocious. His instincts are on a par with Purinton. Half the time he cannot decide what to do at the blueline when on a PP. Should he pass or shoot? If he should shoot, how should he shoot the puck? If he should pass, what player (let alone team) should he pass the puck to?
How many times have we seen him spend all of his time winding up for a big slapshot that either never makes it to the net or he winds up being stripped of? He cannot seem to grasp the concept that a quick wrister can be far more effective that winding up for a slapshot. His passing skills just as often set up the other team as his own.
One needs not be a physical mauler to smartly position himself between the opposing player and the puck. Or the net. He shies away from anything that will result in contact. How many times have we seen him simply stare at a much smaller opposing player whack away at the goalie and rebounds right in front of him?

I agree with you True Blue. You've improved my statement. He's not a good power play pointman. I don't think it's the passing so much as seeing the best option and acting on it in time. He's a tease too. The one year he gets 48 points with 37 assists. He follows it up with 24 points with 14 assists. Kind of reminds me of a blue line version of Nedved. And defensively he stinks. As a person he's probably okay so I'm not going to say I hate him. I do hate him as a hockey player. Even so as long as he's a Ranger I hope he does well. But he is my least favorite Ranger and that's on a team where there's not too many players I like in the first place.

Old
09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think Poti thinks this is his breakout year. He gained some pounds.
His voice has a higher pitch to it. He changed his number from 3 to 16.
He changed his purse color from Pink to Lavender.

All signs point to a good season.

Old
09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
eco's bones

I know he's easy to make fun of. I don't think really that he's afraid--it's just he doesn't have the natural aggression that most of us would like defenseman to have. It's just not in his nature. On another team (say Boston for Boynton ) he might add something positive. He tries to get by on skill alone. I think we might see a more defensively oriented version of that kind of player with Malik.

Old
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Hopefully Sather will bench him a lot... though he was OK for a brief period when Leetch was injured last season, and then toward the end when it didn't matter.

Sometimes I wonder how this guy made the NHL... I'm so glad we didn't sign Dan Syvret.

Poti is one thing, but I hate the way everyone bashes Malik for two pre-season games. Vancouver fans think he was a hard loss on D. Just because he's big and doesn't hit doesn't mean he sucks. He's a good defender.

Old
09-29-2005, 05:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Poti is one thing, but I hate the way everyone bashes Malik for two pre-season games. Vancouver fans think he was a hard loss on D. Just because he's big and doesn't hit doesn't mean he sucks. He's a good defender.
Try again. Vancouver fans think that he is no more than a #6/7 at best. They could not decide if he was worth a $1.5 contract for one year, when in waltzed Sather and signed him for $2.5 per year for three years. No, hitting does not make one a good defenseman. Malik, however, is most certainly NOT a good defender.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:48 PM
shoothepuck

Poti is pathetic. In the pre-season game vs the Devils, he took a stupid penalty that cost the team a goal against, he took six shots while on the power plays, 4 missed the net, and 2 were blocked by Colin White (they were going wide anyway). He can't shoot, dosn't pass when he needs to, his defense is poor and he's just plain soft. Trade 'em or bench him, but he needs not to be in NY this season or next

Closed Thread